Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Another great one Floyd. I was working on one of my own, and before knocking off for the day I gave this a listened. No comparison. I've got a long, long way to go. You set a high bar!

Brad - thanks for stopping by. Keep at it - it gets easier with each new song... one step at a time...

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi floyd jane,
It's always a pleasure to listen to your very melancholic compositions with well-written lyrics. Well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackflash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
L
Expert
Expert
L
Floyd, I loved this song. A great country feel. All, as expected, professionally put together. An impressive song.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
in a forum far away in space as well as time a friend wrote a sticky post a decade or so ago title An Objective View of Your Own Abilities.
It was called mean by many but he simply pointed out that, aside from passion and ambition, a performer needs to know what they are currently capable of doing well at a given point in their learning & development.
Now we have tools to move the goal posts somewhat but the basic premise remains.
In the mid 80s in education in my state we were instructed to address every effort made by a child with "You're amazing", "You have a fantastic mind" & similarly hyperbolic insincerity. I declined and continued with positive but qualified statements like "That's a big improvement" "Cool, now can you...?", "What do you think you can do to make this even better?" becasue the kids recognized dis-ingenuousness soon enough.

This song is very well written, really well performed and tastefully arranged to deliver a difficult message where, one assumes, conversation hasn't succeeded in getting the issues across.

I'm impressed with the use of Brent's playing to add little stings into the musical conversation.

The use of song-smithing tasks as metaphors is very cool as is the rhyming and phrasing.
I dig the song as a thing/sound/feel as well as a narrative.

Terrific!

Thanks, Ray!
The world could use more teachers with your attitude and convictions.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
thanks for doing this song -- besides the music and vocals i related liked the lyrics and this line is great..

if you took the time to listen you might learn a lesson

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent story in the lyrics Floyd. Super vocal and such a cool backtrack. Loved the guitar break as well. Loved how the toms panned to the right. Awesome mix. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
FJ,
Read the lyrics and your notes first. I thought... it would be a punk tune smile
Well crafted lyrics that resonates in so many ways. Nicely shaped in a soft story telling tune. Vocals, arrangement and production are PRO level. Listens very well. Good one. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd

Nicely done in all aspects. Beautiful simple backing enhances the vocal & lyric.

Lovely mix, vocal and overall production.

Another top quality song.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Writing out a little angst there FJ? LOL!
Whupping up on somebody pretty good. I reckon we've all wrote a few - cracked me up ya shared it. grin grin grin

Good production as always. And how bout that alliteration..dang good.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
A well written song. Everything fits nicely together.
As for being ‘mean’ I don't think it's any worse than “You’re So Vain.”

Brian - thanks for dropping by for a listen and comment...

Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Hey Floyd,

Sometimes being "mean" is just being "honest"... A critical assessment is never not warranted. wink Whatever that means.

A great write! The mix is outstanding. The acoustic guitar sounds really, really good! So does everything else!

You kinda make this all seem easy... But we know it's not. You're a talent man!

Great Job.

Greg

Greg - great to have ya back! Thanks for the nice comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

I only hope this song is not about me.

If it is, we will settle this in your back yard old school and after that encounter and a few days in traction you will write another song to apologize.

Let me know what you think.

Country is country. Don't take it personal.

Sincerely Yours,

Tater Totts

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !:))

I share Mario´s opinion
regarding you being the master !
This is a wonderful tune and
so delicately sung as only you can do !
I so liked it !

Cheers
Don Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, in your little sister's opinion, you ARE the Master, oh ObiWan! smile

Everything about this song is excellent . . the lyric, vocals, band, production, arrangement and mix. And the wonderful artwork.

The introduction of both the organ and the banjo were especially nice.

Your ability to choose RT's/RD's and mix them to sound like a well honed group of studio guys and gals is unparalleled. Amazing.

"you're mired in mere mediocrity
you miss the message most of the time
it takes more than you've managed to muster
to be a master of reason and rhyme"
Mmmmm ... we are wonderfully alliterated!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

Love the laid back feel of the band on this one. Great set of lyrics and a wonderful vocal...

This has it all!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
THAT'S funny!

This is, in fact, some of your best work. A "freer" write - a good ****** lyric. A "freer" vocal. You've got the drums sounding good. And those vocals sit where they should. A good mix. (***** btw - good and loud as it should be)

A good listen (other than the fact you are mocking many of the people who keep this forum going).

Note: the "****" are not nasty words.... just creative editing.

Interesting perspective on your fellow musicians and writers.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
"you're mired in mere mediocrity
you miss the message most of the time"

Ouch!

Excellent write, Floyd, I think we all know someone like that.

I found the string squeaks a bit loud, but everything else sounds great.

Went to listen a second time and had to listen to a 30 second commercial before the track started, not too impressed with soundcloud anymore.

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I think we all do - the problem is they don't know it themselves smile

Funny - I hadn't heard (or paid attention to ) the squeaks until you mentioned them. They are loud. I likely would have removed a few (and left a few) if I had noticed before. I'll keep it in mind in the future. (Like Ray made me think about sibliance, always)

I have never seen (heard?) an ad on Soundcloud. Don't know why (I don't subscribe to it since I have Apple Music)

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Floyd
There you have written again a great song
Sound, vocals, lyrics, songwriting etc. is always good with your songs anyway.
But through the great guitar solos I like the song especially well.
Excellent Floyd
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Easy 70's feel. Lots of lovely 'literation and inner rhymes.

I can't help but think I helped inspire this song. wink

The band is excellent here - everything fits and the mix is stellar.

And of course, the vocals fit - I love the little... pauses... in the lyric. So smooth it's easy to notice how well it's sung.

David - I can guarantee you that you in no way inspired this. You are the exact opposite of the kind of "writer" that this is about - the kind that will never improve because they think they are already there. You have a tendency to question all the time, to make different/better choices as you go - because you THINK about it (and question it). That's what make you a good writer...

Thanks for mentioning the "Lots of lovely 'literation" smile smile smile

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
A very good tune. You write them well and record them good too.

Sorry I haven't been on lately but I've been working on a project and, frankly, this forum is way too large for me to keep up with all the new offerings. I don't know how some of you do it. I'll still post but I just can't comment on all the new songs, etc.

I always enjoy your work, including this one.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stunning. No surprise, but a pleasure, in any case! And this ain't mean, it's gentle but fair - in my books, at least. Well done.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Whoa. Here's a weird story--> Just yesterday I was playing some of your stuff with a friend in my car. We were talking about rhyme. I said while pushing play, "Here is the master of rhyme." We agreed rhyming is not just finding a word that sounds alike, but finding all the words before it that make it the perfect rhyme. Man, I can't wait to play this for him today.

Now reason... that's a whole nuther story. [There was a reason I picked you and Chuck Berry to make a point.] Man, you are definitely the master of songwriting, Floyd. So many are just jacks of parts of the construction, but you are master of them all.

I'll leave you with a quote from my passenger. "Man, this guy is good. How do you know him? He's country but so much more." He meant you can write any style and make it your own.

Marty - you humble me (blushing)... Thanks for being SO supportive of my music! Much appreciated...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Really great alliteration song!
We like that, it's so nice for poems and songs.
Very good song too, with excellent vocals!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, y'all!!

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
floyd,

Very good song!
The rhyme is wonderful.
Surely you are a master of the Rhyme.
Your vocal is great as usual.
And there is no complaint about the composition of the accompaniment.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thanks for the nice comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Neat lyrics, a melodic backing that does not overpower the sensitive intent of the song.

Quality vocals and cleverly incorporated additional vocals blend perfectly to further enhance the presentation.

Yes, Neat!

Thanks, Trev. Always appreciate you dropping by....

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Mean? Just a bit of plain speaking I reckon. Another fine write, performance and production, Floyd.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
You are the master of rhythm and rhyme and story telling

Being honest doesn't mean that you are mean

Another award winning song

Loved it

Appreciated, Mario....

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,915
Posts738,787
Members38,615
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic
38,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162