Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
1) I consider myself a decent lyricist, decent arranger, and fairly strong producer But I rarely post songs. I do write them and put them together but really don't post. 2) I have 2 reasons.

1-I can't sing so usually have to find a singer
2-Even at that I can't mix to save my life!

So where I'm going with this is, that has been a major hurdle for me. My wife had breast cancer over the last 3 years, we have 6 kids, and I work a full time+ job. Thankfully I work for me, so I can work with my schedule a little bit. I just really don't feel I have the time to be trial and error everything to learn mixing.
So before I go that route, I just thought I would post this and get some feedback. I appreciate any replies. smile

Mornin' HTL....

1) I feel the same about myself....although, there may be no agreement by any listeners. smile

2) Singing the my biggest confidence hurdle too and I experience angst with each new song I finish as to whether it's worthy of my peers ears.

On mixing....
This is such a subjective process and one could say there's no right/wrong.
One could mix/remix a song forever but that doesn't mean any particular mix was better.....they're just different.
I don't agonize over getting the so-called perfect mix to accommodate every system anymore.
I think many put far to much emphasis on this aspect.

Countless systems along with every set of ears perceiving what they hear differently
I think it becomes unnecessarily retentive.
If a song sounds good on my system and Kens' (my guitarist/collaborator) system that's the determining criteria.
Unless, of course, there's a blatant oversight on our part then I'd acknowledge it and do my homework to fix it and thank them for catching it. smile

I probably didn't help much but I get what you're saying.
But....if I can assist at all in this context feel free to PM me.

But....that's just me.

Back to it....

(best wishes for your wife's recovery. My wife had breast cancer too years ago so I know what you and your wife are going through)