40W Fender Bronco:
Gain: 0
Bass: 3 O'clock
Mid: 9 O'clock
Treble: 9 O'clock
Master: 12 O'clock
Model Pre-set: Rumble
Comp: Off
FX: Off . . . Like I say, this is a big subject.

But doesn't any post-processing of the waveform in a DAW basically step on the above settings anyway?

Possibly. It is a delicate balance between your initial settings and post-processing, sometimes you get what you want and other times it is a total disaster. Unfortunately there is no golden rule in how to attain you tonal goal. But the old trial and error method will give you some starting points for your recording methods.

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
As for purchasing additional Plug-ins, I already have a boatload of Plug-ins that come bundled with S1. Ampire is one that and hasn't given me anything close to what I'm seeking. Plus don't these plug-ins basically package-up a combination of frequency, gain and Q adjustments into a friendly user interface? Pro-EQ does that for me, plus I can make micro adjustments if needed. Or do you think there is there more going on under the hood in these Plug-ins that is relevant to the tone I'm seeking?

As it happens I do have a few bass synths on the Korg keyboard that actually sound deep and fat thru the JBLs. But I enjoy my Jazz Bass too much to even consider playing bass on a keyboard.

And yes, I have no interest in Plug-ins designed for 6-string guitar.

Experience has taught me that each amp synth has its own tonal qualities. That can be also said about plug-ins. For example compressors can color sound. I have a few amp synths including Ampire and each one will color my bass or guitar in a different way. I also have a number of different plug-ins and all of them are either free or purchased while on sale.

Also plugging your bass/guitar into an amp them using a digital interface to record can also color your sound. You might want to try a different approach by recording your bass directly into you computer via your audio interface and/or using a mic.

FWIW - 99.99% of the time I plug my bass or guitar directly into my audio interface. Sometimes I use an amp synth and sometimes I do not. This give me the more options like changing an amp synth, trying different tone settings, compressors, FXs, etc. This way I have no preexisting settings, only the tone and volume controls on my instrument.

This is just my approach to achieving the tone(s) I am seeking. YMMV

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware