Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I have been tearing my hair out trying to get the musical flat symbol to appear in the title.

I have set it to use the jazz fonts PGTextJ Font.

If I use a lower case b I get a smaller capitalized B

If I use Alt 0132 (Font Character code 84) I get commas

For example if I call it:

"Bb Scale exercise" it prints out "BB Scale Exercise" or "B,, Scale Exercise"

Using the standard (non-jazz) PG fonts using a lower case b works.

Anyone have suggestions, another font perhaps, an updated font?

TIA

Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums.

I haven't played around with the fonts too much. What I did was to go to Opt | Preferences and then click on "Notation". I then clicked on the button called "Jazz Fonts", as highlighted below.

Clicking on the above button set everything as shown in the image. (Please note that I changed the font sizes to 80% for all fonts.)

After doing the above, when I typed a lowercase "b" in the title box, it gave me exactly that. It looked suitable to use as a flat sign.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hi Noel

I have tried what you suggest but I still can't get a flat sign to appear in the title.

I am on Windows 7 and BIAB 2011 (318).

With the settings you suggest with a lower case b I get a small B and using Alt+0132 I get ,,

Perhaps you have an updated font file?

Mark

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

With the settings you suggest with a lower case b I get a small B and using Alt+0132 I get ,,

That's just the way that font is, Mark. I believe Noel was looking in the Title Box (where he'd see the Lyric font) without realizing the printout uses a different one. PG TextJ fonts contain only small caps, and provide no minuscules. Their only possible flat symbol is in the Chord font, and that's unusable for titles.

You need a different Title font. Any typeface with lower-case letters will do. You could try that 'PG Text' for the Title as well as Lyric. Its 'b' is unusually similar to a real flat symbol.

M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hi

That has been my experience too. I tried using other fonts in the title font ( as a substitute for the PG TextJ ) but I found it screwed up the text font for any text in the Style, Tempo, Copyright, Composer boxes, even though I changed none of the other font boxes!!!

Any idea why the flat symbol that is in the PG TextJ font at Alt+132 does not work and produces only ,,?

I can use it in all other documents and programs I just cannot get it to work in BIAB.

Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mark,

I suggest you let support@pgmusic.com know about this. If you do, send the URL of this thread so that they can read the discussion and what people have discovered.

The fact that the correct character prints on-screen but does not print on a hard copy indicates a programming inconsistency.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Hi

That has been my experience too. I tried using other fonts in the title font ( as a substitute for the PG TextJ ) but I found it screwed up the text font for any text in the Style, Tempo, Copyright, Composer boxes...

Right. The others all switch bizarrely to Arial font if you insist on your own substitution. You get no choice, and it makes no sense. Users are uninterested and PG Music apparently don't see it as a problem, by the way. It really isn't a very great one.

Quote:

Any idea why the flat symbol that is in the PG TextJ font at Alt+132 does not work and produces only ,,?

Is it really there? Alt-132 yields an umlauted a in the font on this forum here: " ä ". Does it ever really give you an actual flat-symbol in some font? How have you decided that's what it should do? Not saying you're wrong -- I haven't the knowledge.

Larry
______
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mark: Alt-132 yields a rehearsal mark "Letter M" with the font PG TextJ in WordPad. (No idea what causes the double commas you see.)

I opened that font in Character Map next and could find no flat-symbol included in it at all, in any slot. It has a natural sign and a hash mark for sharps. No flat.

You can't coax a flat-sign out of that, unless I missed seeing one, as I hope I did.

Larry
______
Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

Something else that might be worth trying is to set the "Title Font" in Display options and set it to something else. Have a look at the image below.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Noel: Wow, that is pretty cool. So I set the song title area font to PG TextJ to see what would happen and yes if I type Alt+0132 I get the flat sign on the screen!!! But of course it makes no difference to the print out! :-(

allis: If you load PG TextJ font in Windows Character Map ( Under Accessories>System Tools ) it's Character Code: 0x84 or Alt+0132

My latest attempt has been to try Unicode 9837 ♭ but that also does not seem to work :-(

Mark

Journeyman
Journeyman
Well, it's got me beat. I'm lucky this matter doesn't come up much.

You can always apply to PGMusic support for advice. They do not respond automatically to threads here.

You can also adopt a Title font which has a lower case 'b' that isn't dead ugly when used as a flat sign. For rare use, that may be good enough.

Larry
______
Veteran
Veteran
Well if I was buying a sheet of music and it said:

Bflat Scale Exercise I would think that sufficient.

At my age I eschew becoming obsessed with things. In my programming days this would have been so simple. In a word Unix. In a second word pipes. Troff!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,350
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182