Go To
#191392 01/22/13 06:55 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
A couple of questions. Windows 7 64 bit and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro series sound card. BIAB 2013 installed with the Coyote Wave Table 1.1 included with the program. It sounds pretty good but I'm curious about the Forte. Will it sound a "lot" better?

If I download and install a 30 day trial should I uninstall the Coyote Wave Table first? I presume the Forte will uninstall easily if I decide not to purchase it.

Veteran
Veteran
I believe that, because these are two different programs, Forte and Wavetable can both exist on the same system. You simply choose which you want to use.

And I don't recall any posts here of anyone uninstalling Forte. For the money, it's a great product.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
The can both exist on the same system. And uninstalling is not difficult. Just don't wait until the very last days of the evaluation period if you decide you want it, because I've seen several postings where it might take a couple of days to get your unlock code.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #191395 01/22/13 07:17 PM
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
I just went through a whole "thing" thinking I had Forte installed from a couple of BIAB versions ago but because I didn't re-install Forte along with my registration code, I've been using Coyote WT for quite some time without realizing it.

I got that issue resolved and I would say there is not a MASSIVE difference but there certainly is a very audible difference with Forte being noticeably better that Coyote WT to my ears.

But you can A/B it with your own ears and decide if it's worth the money...which isn't very much and it DOES transer to BIAB upgrades...as long as you keep your registration code where you can find it. I didn't but the great folks at PG support had it.

Best,
Jim

av84fun #191397 01/23/13 11:45 AM
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I installed the trial and made a video starting with Forte working and changing to Coyote WT. I rebooted BIAB when I switched. Sound memory is pretty short but fast forwarding back and forth between the two I really couldn't discern a difference between them. I'd like to give Forte a fair trial and I'm curious as to where I would notice a significant or even discernible difference between the two. Any ideas as to a specific style or song that would highlight the benefits of Forte vs Coyote WT. Again I'm using BIAB 2013, Creative Sound Card and a Logitech 5.1 speaker setup so I do have decent sound. I'm far from being any kind of an expert setting up BIAB so any ideas would be much appreciated. I have a Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth and VL70M Tone Generator running through the sound card and I just have the setup for puttering around and don't play professionally. I've been using BIAB for a long time but I just let it do it's thing and don't do a bunch of tweaking.

I was going to post a picture of the audio settings but I see there is no option to do that. MIDI input driver shows "no MIDI/sound input", MIDI output driver shows "no MIDI/sound output", Synthesizer/sound card shows "Coyote ForteDXi". Thanks for whatever help you can pass along.

Les

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Les,

When I read in your post that there was no discernible difference between Coyote WT and Coyote Forte, it made me think that maybe things are not quite set up correctly.

To double-check your setup, have a look at the below post (this is the one aV84fun refers to. In this post, I use some images that explain how to setup Coyote Forte in BIAB 2013. You'll need to scroll down a bit.)

... link to setting up Coyote

Also, if you want to know how to post images in the forums, here's a post that explains the process.

... link to "How to" add images to posts

Regards,
Noel

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Quote:

I installed the trial and made a video starting with Forte working and changing to Coyote WT. I rebooted BIAB when I switched. Sound memory is pretty short but fast forwarding back and forth between the two I really couldn't discern a difference between them. I'd like to give Forte a fair trial and I'm curious as to where I would notice a significant or even discernible difference between the two. Any ideas as to a specific style or song that would highlight the benefits of Forte vs Coyote WT. Again I'm using BIAB 2013, Creative Sound Card and a Logitech 5.1 speaker setup so I do have decent sound. I'm far from being any kind of an expert setting up BIAB so any ideas would be much appreciated. I have a Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth and VL70M Tone Generator running through the sound card and I just have the setup for puttering around and don't play professionally. I've been using BIAB for a long time but I just let it do it's thing and don't do a bunch of tweaking.

I was going to post a picture of the audio settings but I see there is no option to do that. MIDI input driver shows "no MIDI/sound input", MIDI output driver shows "no MIDI/sound output", Synthesizer/sound card shows "Coyote ForteDXi". Thanks for whatever help you can pass along.

Les

Personally, I think that it all depends on which model of Logitech 5.1 speakers you are using. They have models like the X-530 that cost around $50.00 up to the Z906 for $350.00.

Clearly, the speaker system is a significant element in the sound reproduction chain and their capabilities will significantly influence the quality of sound output.

Although I own studio-quality near field monitors, I only use a set of Bose Companion 2 Series 2 computer speakers for BIAB purposes....which cost around $100.00. I think any price point less than that will simply not be able to capture and reproduce the sound information that could be produced from any given source.

Best,
Jim

Noel96 #191400 01/24/13 01:30 PM
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Good morning Noel and thanks for the information. Here is what my setup looks like (if the images post).

Good morning to you also Jim. My speaker setup is the Logitech Z-680. I'm using the Logitech subwoofer and speakers from my Klipsch 5.1 setup (The Klipsch amplifier crapped out).

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Les,

Thank you for posting the image. It really helps me see what you have.

The following things stand-out to me ...

1. Under "Midi output driver", it is always best to have "Microsoft GS WaveTable Synth", whatever the set-up. This has been recommended a number of times by PG Music staff in forum posts over the years.

2. Setting the "Synthesizer / Sound Card" does not load Coyote Forte as a synthesizer. It simply loads a patch map for the sounds. To load the synth so it plays, it's necessary to use the button "VST/DXi Synth Settings" and set the synth. At the moment, your set-up is loaded to play Coyote WT and not Coyote Forte.

As suggested in my above post, have a look at ...

... link to setting up Coyote

In my second post found at the above link, I guide Jim through how to set-up Coyote Forte. If you follow the instructions there, it will help.

Regards,
Noel

Noel96 #191402 01/24/13 03:10 PM
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hello again Noel. Here's what the setup looks like now (forgot I had posted older pictures). Looks like I should have Forte in use. I have another question though. When I installed the Coyote WT and Forte they both installed by default in the X86 program file on my C drive where the OS is installed. BIAB however is installed on a separate hard drive by itself (F). Should Forte be installed in the BIAB file on the F drive or is the C drive the correct place for it? As I recall there was no option to select an install location. I turned 75 years old last November and little memory lapses are becoming a daily occurrence.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Les.

Yep! It looks like you have Forte up and running.

Soft synths are fine installed on C: They're usually put in a directory of VST plugins so that all music programs can find them.

Happy belated 75th birthday! I hope I make it to that age

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
You sound output system looks excellent. I'm a little surprised you don't discern a difference between Coyote WT and Forte'...but we all hear things the way we hear them.

(-:

I notice a differnece even with my much "less good" Bose speakers with no sub or external amp...but maybe it's the "placebo effect." (-:

Best,
Jim

av84fun #191405 01/24/13 04:08 PM
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks Noel, Jim, Matt and John. I sincerely appreciate the help. BIAB is really an amazing program and I've enjoyed playing with it for several years now although as I noted previously I haven't really gotten into tweaking it. It is sounding good now on my setup so I reckon I'll buy a license and keep Forte up and running.

As an aside. I looked on the Forte site and noticed that one of the system requirements was a sound card with ASIO drivers such as a Creative card. Hmmmmm says I so I looked at the audio settings tab that was showing MME but had ASIO as an option. I selected the ASIO option and my computer locked up tighter than Felix Baumgartner's sphincter when he jumped off the capsule at 23 miles high. I had to use the reset button on my tower to reboot. Got back on line and even had to reset my wireless connection but when I looked back in BIAB the audio setting had returned to MME. I won't do that again.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Les,

VERY visual analogy! I had that lock-up happen once too! ASIO is best avoided. The only time I'll ever engage it is when I use BIAB to record audio. Other than that, MME is my friend.

Happy playing,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #191407 01/24/13 10:43 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
After getting my new M-Audio Fasttrack C600 and installing that, BIAB and RB came up with "you have ASIO available, can we switch to that?", so I did!!!

What followed was a week of wrestling with ASIO and getting everything to stabilize

I had to hard reboot my PC so many times in the process that even Windows got scared and started asking if they could start repairing the OS .... scared the living s%$t of of me at times but in the end I managed to get it sorted.

Before seeing RedFooDogs age I thought I was getting too old to be battling with this but seems that age is relative ....

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

J
J
Help! I have BIAB 2008, purchased ForteDxi for $40.00 and I am having trouble registering the product. Can someone help me?
Acer windows 7 64 bit.

John Swafford

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Help! I have BIAB 2008, purchased ForteDxi for $40.00 and I am having trouble registering the product. Can someone help me?
Acer windows 7 64 bit.

John Swafford

Do you have your registration code? If not then you need to contact the supplier you purchased it from. Or is there another problem?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,276
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181