Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
OP Offline
I have purchased BIAB 2009 for Mac and have upgraded to 2009 Build 8. Discovered that shots and chord holds do not work correctly with RealTracks and RealDrums - confirmed with tech support. This is a major disappointment and has prevented me from converting my previously created songs to RealTracks. I play out live using tracks created with BIAB and would LOVE to convert, but that would mess up many, many of my endings and arrangements.

Anyone out there figured out a smooth workaround for this? Will PG Music have a fix or workaround for this in the future? If not, I'll have to re-do many of my arrangements or simply waste my upgrade money.

Thanks for any replies!

Mike

R
Expert
Expert
R
Depends on what you mean by a smooth workaround? There has been much discussion on this topic. A search of the forum should give you plenty of suggestions. There is also some stuff in the FAQ section.

I've worked around the problem by using a combination of Midi and Real. Where you want a hold or shot, program the Melody or Soloist track to contain the sounds you want. I mute the Realxxx at that point and let the Midi do it's thing. Most of my arrangements are just Bass and Drums so the programming is easy - but still a nuisance. Using those tracks, you can program 16 different channels to your desire.

I suspect that since there has been so much complaining about this that it will be addressed. Another major gripe is the two bar endings. I hope in the near future, we won't have to complain about these anymore.

Rachael

p.s. You may get more responses by posting this in the BIAB forum

Last edited by Rachael; 09/03/09 11:58 AM.
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I've been concerned, as well, about the endings in the BIAB styles. Some work out OK, but many are lacking when playing live. The audience looks at you like something is amiss. Of course, I come from a long association with arranger keyboards, where you have very professional-sounding intros and endings. However, at present, I prefer BIAB for live gigging for a variety of reasons. If they could give us more effective holds at the end of tunes, that would be super. But, what the heck is a "shot"?

R
Expert
Expert
R
You're lucky the audience even notices anything. My audiences, mostly cocktail parties, do not seem to care but I certainly do when something does not sound right.

I have begun Freezing my arrangements before gigs so I won't have any of those surprises.

R

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

...Of course, I come from a long association with arranger keyboards, where you have very professional-sounding intros and endings.

I do wish that BIAB could give us the kind of Endings available on the highend Arranger keyboards, too. Choice of up to 4 different Endings available on-the-fly with a single button push, each one of top quality.

Quote:

However, at present, I prefer BIAB for live gigging for a variety of reasons. If they could give us more effective holds at the end of tunes, that would be super. But, what the heck is a "shot"?

A "Shot" is a common term for having all instruments of the rhythm section play the chord as a single 8th or sometimes 16th note, usually at the beginning of a beat, instead of either holding the chord or playing the rhythm pattern of the chord or riff that has been established. Not usually associated with Endings, though when used sparingly can work on certain Endings. As with a lot of these kind of musical terms, the origin of the word most likely came from the colloquialisms of jazz and session players.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
I'm currently creating a lot of drumtracks for existing songs. I try to find the drumstyles that are most similar (at least the "feel") to the original. For the endings I do a lot of experimenting with rests, shots and changing the number of counts in the last bars and even changing the (sub) styles for the endings. This often gives a suprisingly nice result.
Also the solution Rachael uses seems like a good way to go.

OP Offline
Rachael- Thanks for your response. I've gone thru the BIAB forums and found very little on this topic. Wasn't much to be found in the FAQs, either. Ah well.

Like you (and probably MANY others) I'm awaiting a fix from the good folks at PG Music. I still think this is a great product, but haven't gotten around to changing my arrangements as I was hoping for some nice and easy way... In the meantime, I'll likely do what you suggest using midi tracks to "stand in."

Mike

OP Offline
J. Larry-

Thanks for your response.

Before taking my BIAB tracks on the road, I record them, one track at a time, into Logic where I can individually EQ, compress and do whatever nasty things I want to to them. This also allows me to "freeze" my arrangements. I then mix down to Apple Lossless files, import them to iTunes and on over to the iPod they go for taking to gigs. I'm using a Korg X5DR synth which does a pretty nice job and has a pretty believable upright bass. Drums not nearly as nice as the RealDrums, so want to convert as much of my arrangements as I can.

BTW, a "shot" is not only a colloquialism, but an actual BIAB term. This from the manual:

Shots
You can make certain instruments play a “shot” where the chord is played and then a rest follows. For example, the song “Rock Around The Clock” has a shot on beat 1 followed by a rest for 2 bars.

Mike

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, of course it is a term used in BIAB. Was referring to where that term came from...

OP Offline
Of course. Altho I always thought the term was derived from drumming, e.g. rim shot.

R
Expert
Expert
R
Mike,

Check out:

http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq17.htm#23

Also, if you search the Forums for endings or holds you should get quite a few hits. Make sure you use the Search Forums button in the top left of the middle of the screen and not the one at the top right. The top right is very limited in it's time search.

Rachael

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Of course. Altho I always thought the term was derived from drumming, e.g. rim shot.

It may well have.

Or, it could have been an actual gunshot, too. Sidney Bechet notwithstanding. <g>

(For those not in the know, Sidney Bechet once got thrown out of France for shooting a fellow musician in an argument over a chord change... )

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yes, the BB endings are sometimes quite awkward, with most instruments ending on the first beat of the second bar of the ending, but the drums continuing to play until the end of the bar! It even does it sometimes if I put in something specific like Dm...d - shouldn't that tell BB to have all instruments except drums hold the chord? Or am I misunderstanding the logic?

I agree with a previous poster who says we need professional-quality endings, and I've posted a couple of thoughts on the wishlist board. Namely, "hold & noodle" endings that bands typically do- everybody hits the last chord and holds it, and the drums and/or other instruments noodle around on it for a few seconds before hitting a final "stinger", to use march terminology. Or even just plain, clean "hold and fade" endings would be great. These awkward endings have to go.

Another problem - using the Conductor to move around in the song is totally hosed most of the time and unusable. But that may be getting off-topic.

To get around these problems, I've been playing with the idea of exporting all the .wav files from each BB song and importing them into Ableton Live's Arrangement View, where I can tweak the endings and then set Locator points to easily and reliably skip around in the song or loop sections. The problem is, this transfer & tweak procedure takes TIME. But unless PG Music fixes the problems with the Conductor soon, I'm going to have to start the process of transferring all my BB songs to Ableton Live, for gig use.

--Doug

Visit the Elegance Music page on MySpace for samples of my current work.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

It may well have.

Or, it could have been an actual gunshot, too. Sidney Bechet notwithstanding. <g>

(For those not in the know, Sidney Bechet once got thrown out of France for shooting a fellow musician in an argument over a chord change... )

--Mac

Really? (Raised eyebrow in a quizical but sardonic way)

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Expert
Expert
Citaat:

Really? (Raised eyebrow in a quizical but sardonic way)

Bechet had experience playing in traveling shows even before he left New Orleans at the age of twenty. Never long content in one place, he alternated using Chicago, New York, and Europe as his base of operations. Bechet was jailed [2] in Paris, France when a female[3] passerby was wounded during a shootout; after serving jail time, Bechet was deported. The most common version of the story, as related in Ken Burns jazz documentary, reports that the initial shootout started when another musician/producer told Bechet that he was playing the wrong chord and Bechet then challenged the man to a duel; critics[citation needed] assert, however, that Bechet was essentially ambushed by a musician with whom he did not get along.

(copy/pasted from Wikipedia)

OP Offline
Quote:

To get around these problems, I've been playing with the idea of exporting all the .wav files from each BB song and importing them into Ableton Live's Arrangement View, where I can tweak the endings and then set Locator points to easily and reliably skip around in the song or loop sections. The problem is, this transfer & tweak procedure takes TIME. But unless PG Music fixes the problems with the Conductor soon, I'm going to have to start the process of transferring all my BB songs to Ableton Live, for gig use.

--Doug

Yeah, that's the trouble... As posted previously, I shoot the individual tracks over to Logic and remix. VERY time consuming, but hey... Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. This method also allows me to record additional instruments and backing vocals that I do track by track or with the Digitech Vocalist.

Thanks to everyone for your replies,

Mike

PS - I play thru a Fishman Solo Amp that dropped out on me twice today at my outdoor gig from what I believe to be a thermal overload. Great way to play out, but I'm hoping Fishman will provide me a good answer to this problem!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just purchased BB 2009.5 Ultrapak and yes I was quite surprised by the weak and messy endings of the Realtracks. Here I've got this nice Realtracks jazz guitar, bass, and drums going and the ending is a disaster. I sent an email to tech support and they said 'add an extra bar to the 2-bar ending, and place a '.' after the chord. It needs work. Standing by....

R
Expert
Expert
R
From the ending of Planet of the Apes..."You may not like what you find"

Search the forums. Plenty of suggestions and workarounds.

Rachael

Veteran
Veteran
After using BIAB for many years, the best endings are the ones you write yourself. You shouldn't depend on the software to do everything for you. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, it seems way out of place to be able to create an entire composition literally with one mouseclick, such as we can using the Melodist, but then have to spend manhours or even man days trying to create a stupid ending that works for the thing...

Today's Autoaccompaniment Keyboards are currently blowing BIAB out of the water with Endings, selectable on the fly whenever you want to End the song, typically offering several different variations at a single button push. They are great sounding Endings, too.

I want BIAB to be able to End a song with the same kind of "session cat" abilities it shows in the rest of the arena, I want her to be able to do what Jerry Reed used to get out of his road band -- "Get me outta this one with style, boys!..." -- and always get a GREAT ending.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,634
Posts735,255
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181