Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi friends,

Gillian Welch and her guitar player David Rawlings have long been one of my favorite groups of acoustic players (...and yes Mac - they're acoustic for me even though they use electronics for amplification ; )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj3kppAkl1Q

I find her music has a sound that really moves me, I'll call it "lost and lonely" for lack of a better term. His guitar playing really takes the spotlight in an understated sort of way - without taking the spotliight off of her vocals, which is where it should be.

Now - their music may or may not be your 'cup of tea'. but if it is how you would describe what you hear in the music ?

Also, would BB/RB/RT have a style that could improvise anything close to the sound and style theis guitar player gets ? I'm guessing no such style exists, because the guitar player's soloing style is not easily generated in terms of emotion and timing; harmonically also, he's doing some interesting things I think (though I don't have the ear to describe them).

Let me know if you're aware of any styles/melodist/soloist combos that come remotely close to the sound in this recording, and share a corresponding styles demo (yes - it's a rhetorical challenge, I don't necessarily expect anyone to go to such trouble : ) If none such exists - could you say why it would or would not be challenging to generate such ?

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
At the heart of their Strong Performance is the fact that they both are counting all the time and are able to keep that pulse while playing and also singing.

Don't know if there's a stle demo that would nail this or not, but if I had to create a BB file that emulates that style, I'd probably do it using separate acoustic guitar realtracks rather than look for an already existing Style file. But there may be some styles in there that could be used, or some instruments muted, perhaps a realtrack added after that.

Good act, see if you can feel the pulse they are working around, and how it stays there like a clock. That would be the most important aspect of playing their performance.

--Mac

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Interesting point Mac - now that you pointed out their rock solid timing, I notice it, but had not keyed in on it before. That is a big part of it.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I find her music has a sound that really moves me, I'll call it "lost and lonely" for lack of a better term. His guitar playing really takes the spotlight in an understated sort of way - without taking the spotliight off of her vocals, which is where it should be.

I think it was Bill Monroe who coined the term " High Lonesome Sound " when asked what the sound of the Monroe Brothers and the Bluegrass Boys was all about. I think the sound that you are trying to come up with is the dissonance that comes about because of the modal melodies that Gillian sings and the modal licks that Rawlings plays on that old Epiphone of his.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Very well said Keith.

Gillian's music is a great blend of traditional country music and folk. Good stuff about real people.

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I suppose I should "Pandora" to find others similar to Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, but given I like their sound - can you 'humans' out there suggest any other acts I might like ? Also, wondering what the key attributes' Pandora uses to label their songs.

In an internet article, I though you guys might find this interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/technology/08pandora.html?_r=0

Quote:

Pandora has 700,000 songs, each categorized by an employee based on 400 musical attributes, like whether the voice is breathy, like Charlotte Gainsbourg, or gravelly like Tom Waits. Listeners pick a song or musician they like, and Pandora serves up songs with similar qualities — Charlotte Gainsbourg to Feist to Viva Voce to Belle and Sebastian. Unlike other music services like MySpace Music or Spotify, now available in parts of Europe, listeners cannot request specific songs.

It would be an interesting approach to see if PG could gain some inspiration from these attributes for their existing and new styles and RT tracks.

Then again, on wikipedia, I found that:

Quote:

The full list of attributes for individual songs is not publicly released, and ostensibly constitutes a trade secret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Genome_Project

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I would point out that there is no real factual data upon which to base such "attributes" and thus would not put too much into the investigation of same.

Far more useful to follow your own soul, be true to what it is that you bring, or desire to bring, to your performance, for it is Strong Performance that brings the desired result and that can be exhibited in just about *any* particular genre, instrumentation, vocal style, etc.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I found it 'haunting', but the woman's voice is higher than I can comprehend. Well I hear some vowels.

Some melodies can stand on their own, and are singable. I can hate that, the docs say that being this deaf you compensate by singing to yourself. I can change the tune by thinking hard, but that one stays until the next one. Some old stuff comes back.

That said, tunes come and go. It's amazing how those 4 boys from Liverpool could come up with such complex and musical tunes, that stay and stay.

Not that some kid from Austria didn't pen some nice concertos and other stuff. That you still hear today.

I have to try to listen again. Sub-titles lyrics are a god-send.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
May be "too country" for you, but try Dawn Sears the the Time Jumpers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOX74L0SW5c

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
About a year ago, I started listening to The Civil Wars (John Paul White & Joy Williams) and am completely enamored by their vocal harmonies and the simplicity of their songs. They can completely captivate an audience with just a guitar and 2 voices (just like Gillian and David do with 2 guitars and 2 voices) (Joy does play piano on some of their songs).

There are tons of youtube videos of live performances but here are 3 that I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOgwwZyyz2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeuiaZXWpmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWM9FrxSKpI

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 01/27/13 06:57 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,633
Posts735,255
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich
38,521 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181