Band-in-a-Box for Windows
K
konaboy Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Hi all,

If I recall, last time I checked the audio data for BIAB was stored in WMA (Windows Media Audio) format.

This is a very old format, and is also proprietary to Windows.

Wouldn't MP3 or AAC be a better option for quality and filesize?

I think WMA does support lossless encoding, but a 320Mbs MP3 is indistinguishable from WAV, and the RealTracks are not exactly super high-fidelity anyway.

I'm asking, because many people have reacted negatively to the huge amount of storage space that BIAB requires on your PC, about 100GB for the UltraPak.

I believe a more modern and efficient audio codec would reduce that size considerably whilst retaining audio quality.

Thoughts?

Last edited by konaboy; 02/12/23 01:37 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
We have had many discussions about this, notably about the file size and the way BIAB is shipped to Europe. I laughed when I read your post because the audiophile version takes almost 2 TB.

Yes, WMA is Windows only, and old. However, in my opinion a WMA file encoded at 128 sound as good as an MP3 encoded at 192.

You are quite correct there are other codec alternatives, and it could be helpful if the Mac and Windows versions used the same for the regular (not audiophile) versions.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
"This is a very old format, and is also proprietary to Windows."
I was thinking that very same thing the last few days, WHY ?
No other software companies use wma that I know of, I think PG is the only one on the planet.
The Audiophile version needs to be lossless WavePack allowing for 24bit 48khz quality.
I think originally Biab was made as a fun thing for hobbyists, but it seems to be hard to get it to a professional audio software state for professional studio users. There seems to be no goal, dedication or enthusiasm to get it there, they seem to have to be pushed to go there reluctantly.
It seems to brush off on the staff also, no enthusiasm for change and making things better, new ideas, if things are done it's reluctantly to stop users complaining.
If the programming language you are using makes it too hard to add things easily and have to spend 6 months on the Mac version doing the same thing rather than a crossplatform language, crossplatform audio codec, Win/Mac released at the same time with same features, so it might be good to start looking at alternatives.
So that's my "Let's discuss the RealTrack audio format".

K
konaboy Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
The use of WMA must be a legacy hangover from the early days of BIAB on windows, before widespread adoption of MP3.

It must be be quite painful, I imagine, to maintain one audio format for windows and another for mac, when AAC or MP3 is cross-platform and with much lower filesizes for same quality.

Well, at the end of the day, WMA works, but would be nice to have the faster downloads and smaller install that a newer codec could provide.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
konaboy

you might find this thread of interest.
notice MCity's lovely graphics.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=753128#Post753128

the topic of wma versus other formats eg flac that i like
and have recorded thousands of voc tracks with has been discussed several times in the past.

i cant find it.. but awhile back i requested in the wishlists a all flac recording and playback environment for both biab and rb.(or MCity's wavpak would make me happy too.)

re mp3 i'm unsure but i think i read somewhere in a tech bulletin on the net that mp3 isnt as advantageous as flac or wavpac...as its a lossy format.

i think this might be it.

https://stsaz.github.io/fmedia/audio-formats/

there are lots of articles like the above on the net.

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/10/23 03:18 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Download times and storage aren't the common consumer issues they once were.
The only things keeping WMA in the works are the time as well as expense of converting to .wav or similar, (IF the original files weren't kept), and maintaining the allure of the more expensive Audiophile version, (which, in reality, would be easier, faster & therefor cheaper, to have set up as there wasn't the time & expense for conversion to WMA).
A 320 MP3 guitar track in a mix might be hard to distinguish/pick as lower resolution than a 24bit guitar part but there are some complications that occur after conversion & further down the mix/stem/master chain such as dither and noise shaping that can be a problem for the unwary particularly if starting from a low res "lossy" format

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
K
konaboy Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
thanks for making this an interesting discussion.

after some thought, BIAB for 2023 should really work more like this...

only a "lite" BIAB client is needed on the user PC. The massive database of audio resources is stored on PG Music servers. no need to download or install these.

user creates song and enters chords as normal.

song generation is done on-the-fly on PG Music cloud servers. audio stems are streamed to BIAB client in real-time and routed through the mixer just like before.

might sound like science fiction, but we are used to streaming video on demand (much higher bandwidth requirements) and even video games, where all the game and graphics processing is done on remote servers and streamed to basically a web browser running on the PC.

this would even open up the possibility for running BIAB in the browser, with modern and accessible user interface and no installation needed, just a subscription, or lifetime pass.

food for thought...

Veteran
Veteran
I said ages ago PG could have a site where you make up the tracks and they play back with a water mark then if they fit your needs you purchase the tracks and download.
I would rather have the 48khz 24bit audio files on a hard drive to use anywhere anytime and off line as how many studio computers are online. You want faster generate times not slower.
They did this with the ios and android apps where they just access the bbserver and send it chords and style info then the remote server sends the rendered file to the phone.

Expert
Online Content
Expert
I think BIAB would be different if they started now. But they started a long time ago in the era of floppy discs and a total rethink is not really possible. And currently you buy different packs - and different levels of streaming access would be difficult to administer.

Expert
Expert
I can see some attractions of a streaming server as an option, but I can also see some issues, not the least of which is that many people deliberately do not have their music PC attached to the Internet.

The streaming would also need to be rock solid if a streaming-based BiaB were to not miss timing of notes or chords and we could easily be streaming multiple audio here .... five or six tracks is common, twenty or thirty not rare, and as RealTracks are time-stretched, pitch-shifted and glued together from audio chunks within the RealTrack file. I suspect each whole RealTrack files would need downloading and caching before use.

MIDI of course has little size in comparison anyway.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Konaboy.

re useing pg servers//'lite'.
(nice discussion idea mate.)

as a concept its a wonderful idea... however as ive worked on tech all over the world in varying capacities over the years…often the problem is translating a great concept into a successful implementation…..eg…in this case.... (to name a few.)

1..what would be any added infrastructure costs to pg. as well as impacts viz logistics/day to day operations on pg and users..
(a feasibility study would need to be done by pg.)

2..lots of recording studios are loathe to put their recording rigs on the net due to security concerns/issues. I'm such a case.
(I use a separate computer for the net that i'm using for this post.)

3..bear in mind lots of people around the world either can't afford isp services and/or the area they live in doesnt have the net infrastructure.

in conclusion its a great idea , but i feel it might be early days to implement.until particularly point 2 and other logistics can be addressed.

many people dont seem concerned about security till it happens to them or a friend.
call me paranoid but ive heard first hand the impact on a family of a security issue.
this really needs to be addressed in some way.
prolly by isp's//governments around the world//computer manufacturers working in concert for a solution.

best

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
K
konaboy Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
if we are suddenly thrust into a dark world without internet then the inability to generate biab songs would be the least of our worries smile

you all make some great points for and against, I agree with them all.

i also work as a developer, building back-end services, and it's never been easier to set up servers using cloud services like AWS. In fact, these days, you don't even need servers, you just deploy your application to the cloud, and pay by the ms of processing time that is used. This kind of thing would be ideal for handling the song generation, creating the audio tracks, and then making them available for streaming.

i was not aware about the mobile app.

the more i think about it, the more attractive a web-browser based interface would be.

i'd be prepared to bet that a lot of people are turned off by the current GUI (see separate discussion about younger people not using the program)....

yeah, of course a good internet connection is a requirement, but that is already the case for many of the critical things we do online these days, and it's pretty much a given.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: konaboy

i'd be prepared to bet that a lot of people are turned off by the current GUI (see separate discussion about younger people not using the program)....

I started with, IIRC, the 2012 edition with the slightly older interface still, of a notepad with a 11" diagonal screen, and I found it both very clumsy and on that notepad unusable. At that time I gave it up and walked away. I tried again when the slightly newer interface came out and stuck with it. I'm now running 2023 of that very same notepad, reasonably successfully.

But the interface, whilst better, is still pretty clumsy and arcane.
I still struggle to understand why there's a "Track Settings and Actions" dialog, and on the menu, also a "Track Settings" sub-menu and a "Track Actions" sub-menu. That seems perverse.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Money wise, bad idea!

1000 people doing editing, generating, regenerating, partial rendering songs in the backend (servers), at the same time, will cost PG Music millions of dollars in Cloud CPU/RAM and bandwidth each year.

Trust me, it's much worse than 1000 people watching NetFlix at the same time.

Also, selling a $10/month subscription, so people won't buy the $500 software?

The CEO will be fired immediately.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
K
konaboy Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
well, the cost of cloud computing is remarkably cheap, I know because I just estimated it for a client.

i built a service that handles a million requests a month with each request requiring 1 second of processing time. For that, the servers cost just $14. it's astonishing.

another approach would be to stream the realtrack resources to the BIAB client on-demand, and have the program generate the song.

there are significant maintenance benefits in having the program running in the cloud, just one version of the service for everyone, that can be updated and patched with a couple of mouse clicks.

everyone would be on the same version, cutting support costs.

maintenance, development and support costs tend to be way more than the servers.

and so many companies going to subscription model because, it lowers the cost of entry, attracting more users. it also has the benefit to the company in that they can more easily predict their monthly income.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Wouldn't MP3 or AAC be a better option for quality and filesize?

I don't think we would ever want to go down the mp3 path, even if it is supposedly license free now (?).

m4a is a good choice, and is what we use on Mac. Various lossless formats would be good to investigate as well.

Quote:
well, the cost of cloud computing is remarkably cheap, I know because I just estimated it for a client

True, but not when you start talking about huge amounts of data transfer say hundreds/thousands of TB/month.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
For new RealTracks, in future we might switch to m4a to be the same as Mac.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
I think stick with what you have unless you are planning to give better audio quality of 48khz 24bit on the Audiophile drive if not just stick with 44.1 khz 16bit wav files that everyone seems to be using in this day n age.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
- There are many audio expert articles on the internet showing that, for distributing audio, 44.KHz 16 bit (which we use) is equal to higher bit rates like 24 bit. 48khz etc.
- of course in a DAW you bring in these files and edit them in a higher bit rate environment (24 bit, 96KHz etc), but once they’re finished editing and complete, shipping 24 bit files vs 16bit is no better. No detectable difference heard by audiophiles in the tests done.
-of course we record and mix them in higher bit depth, I’m just referring to how they are shipped after they are finalized.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Just for curiosity, does that mean that you could provide a 24-bit version? In other words, it would not be an upsampled one, but the original files because they were recorded in 24-bit (or better)? I don't believe that answer was ever known to us.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,519
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173