Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
J
jdew Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
I'm always curious about what instrument(s) someone plays. Not just "a guitar" but the details as in "a Fender Strat plugged into an old blackface Fender Twin Reverb". Or what keyboard or trumpet or accordian or banjo.....

In my years of playing I've had a number of guitars (electric and acoustic) and amps. Some were horrible, some were just OK, some pretty decent. Some I gave away, some grew legs and ran off to join the circus, and some I sold.

What I've been using for many years...

- electric
Gibson ES-175
Gibson ES-335
Fender Telecaster
Roland JC-120 amp
- acoustic
Martin D-28
Taylor 410

I live near a store that sells only used instruments and has a terrific rather large ever-changing stock and good prices. (Yeah... GAS heaven) I hadn't purchased a new guitar or amp in decades... why? What's wrong with what I'm using? I was just curious what was new and had time on my hands, so I stopped in. Big mistake. (or was it?)

What I purchased recently:

- electric
Boss Katana 50 MKII amp
Fender Standard Strat (MIM) (My third strat... sold the others. Will I keep this one?)
Ibanez AG95
- acoustic
Fender Acoustasonic amp
Ibanez AE275BT (acoustic-electric baritone)
Seagull Performer mini-jumbo (acoustic-electric)
Martin Roadseries D-10 (acoustic-electric)
- stuff
Boss RC-5 loop pedal

I'm really impressed by the value in a lot of what is available in the affordable lines these days. There are some really nice electric and acoustic guitars that don't cost a fortune. They play well and sound good. Really impressive what's available today.

So what are you playing?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Janice:

1943 Martin D-18
1949 Martin 0-15
1990’s Kentucky mandolin
Meinl cajon
Clarinet years ago

Bud:

1953 Kay Swingmaster upright bass

1972 Martin D-35 (employee made) Martin allows or allowed an employee to make a personal model for his/herself. No label.

J&B

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Lots of wind instruments and a few outliers like vibes. I’ll step away quietly from this guitar thread now…

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Lots of wind instruments and a few outliers like vibes. I’ll step away quietly from this guitar thread now…

We like wind instruments. Janice played clarinet years ago. Would love to know your favorites.

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 06/18/23 02:49 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
1. Fender Jazz Bass w/ flatwounds into a 40W Fender Bronco practice amp
2. Korg electronic keyboard into a pair of JBL monitors

I love all of this but Fender is no longer manufacturing the Bronco amp frown
It's a sturdy, powerful unit with clean sound and I'd like to buy a 2nd new one if I could.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Clarinet is the only common wind instrument I can’t play.

My favorites are flugelhorn and soprano sax. I play the jazz trumpet chair in big bands so I have to play trumpet, my original instrument. I like playing flute for classical music.

Whenever someone in my family was cast in a musical, I volunteered to play lead trumpet. One particularly low-budget show, I covered the trumpet, flute and bass books (I used my wind controller to play acoustic bass). So I guess I just play whatever is appropriate.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
jdew Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J

Don't mean it to be guitar only. I'm interested in all kinds of instruments.

I played trumpet for several years, tried violin (I was beyond awful), some piano, a while with recorder (alto, tenor and soprano.. playing Renaissance consort stuff and adapting string quartets to recorder (that didn't work out too well but it was a good try)). A little bit of 4-string tenor banjo too. Way back when I got to try vibes (a friend played one and he let me try my hand). I wasn't too terrific at it, but I certainly like the sound of vibes.

Off-Topic
J
jdew Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice:

1943 Martin D-18
1949 Martin 0-15
1990’s Kentucky mandolin
Meinl cajon
Clarinet years ago

Bud:

1972 Martin D-35 (employee made) Martin allows or allowed an employee to make a personal model for his/herself. No label.

J&B

I never knew Martin allowed an employee to make a personal model. How did you come by the employee-made Martin or did you work there and make it yourself?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Guitar, keyboards and sax.

Ibanez Gio, Squire Jazzmaster, Fender Blue Burst Strat
Glen Burton AR-15 guitar, Fender Telecaster, Green IYV Les Paul clone, Epi Les Paul, Music Man St Vincent. Play through a Line6 Spyder 3 modeling amp and a 2x10 closed back cabinet. Or a Line6 15w practice amp. That amp is modified to use either the internal speaker or the 2x10 cabinet.

Rack top to bottom

Digitech Vocoder
Furman power supply
Digital Music MX-8 MIDI patching system
Nord Lead synth module
Proteus synth module (Thanks again Steve)
Alesis mixer
Yamaha TX-81z module
Korg M3R module (A Korg M1 in modular form)
Kurzweil 1000PX module
Roland JU-6a module
Korg drum machine and Zoom drum machine on bottom shelf
Below is my Behringer keyboard amp that I never use anymore.

Not shown are the real keyboards

Ensoniq ESQ-1 synth
Ensoniq EPS16+ sampler
Yamaha DX9 (again, thanks Steve)
Korg Krome
Roland FA-06
Nord Electro4
Kurzweil K2500

The keyboard setup in the studio is so complex that it's a post of its own.

And my remaining sax is a Kong alto from the early 60s. I bought it off Craigslist from a guy in New York. The backstory is great, especially on Father's Day. My father worked at a place that was first known as HN White, named for Henderson White. They made all kinds of brass instruments. When he died, his wife Edna took over. Soon after a guy named Tom King invested heavily and it became King Musical Instruments. The plant was on 52nd and Superior Ave in Cleveland. I lived in 61st and Superior. My father worked in that place in several roles for his entire working life. When I got that horn, I took it to Cleveland's version of THE repair shop, which is run by a guy named Tom. Tom's father Tom Sr worked at that place and from company picnics and such I have known Tom since we were about 8. I asked if he was ready to see what was in the case. He just said "Oh oh. Are you bringing me something that will take every waking minute for the next 2 weeks to fix?" So he took a look at it, called me in 2 days and told me it was done. I asked if I needed to rob a bank on the way to pay him and he said it was 27 bucks. 2 pads needed replacement and 1 upper key was slightly out of alignment. I told him then that I had called the company that King had evolved into and they ran the serial number. That horn was built some time in 1963 or 1964, meaning my late father had a hand in building it. I had a baritone sax in the past as well but sold it when a guy made me an offer that was over twice what I paid for it, well after I had a need for it. I use tenor reeds in my alto so I have more sugar cane vibrating on the mouthpiece and it sounds really full.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/18/23 06:28 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jdew
Janice:

1943 Martin D-18
1949 Martin 0-15
1990’s Kentucky mandolin
Meinl cajon
Clarinet years ago

Bud:

J&B

I never knew Martin allowed an employee to make a personal model. How did you come by the employee-made Martin or did you work there and make it yourself?

I’m a lefty and found it many years ago at a shop. It was stamped D-35 L at the usual spot. I contacted Martin and they explained the employee deal. It’s identical in every detail to a factory model other than not having the headstock decal. It had extra nice Indian rosewood to be post Brazilian. Me? I can replace a bridge and other minor things but not a build!

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I personally have a 1969 Gibson SG which I used for many years plugged into various amps that came and went through the years, but eventually settling on a Mesa Boogie Studio 22. I still have and use both. (The SG has been stolen and recovered 2 times but that's a story for another thread. I did post that story here several years back. Both are fascinating and maybe we can start a stolen instruments thread.....)

I also have a Fender Modern Tele which I use a lot in the studio since it has a humbucker as well as a Strat & Tele pickup. I tend to use my Spark 40 modeling amp for this one and it's run direct to the interface for recording.

I've also got an Epiphone bass which also runs through the Spark on a bass model.

Then of course there's the Taylor 314 and the Ibanez AE400 that hangs on the wall for quick reference when writing and composing.

I also have a couple of keyboards that hand around the studio. One is a Radio Shack that my mom gave to me when she was clearing out stuff she didn't want or use and then there's the Yamaha DX-27S that I picked up from thye keyboard player in a house band I was in when she quit the band to go to work as a nurse. I play them both depending on the need or the mood.

I have dabbled with drums a bit being in the high school orchestra and band as a drummer. I do not however, claim to be a drummer, and don't have a drum set and absolutely zero interest in acquiring one.

Oh yeah... I've got a pretty red Strat copy that hangs on the wall. It's horrible to play (action is high, intonation is horrible, and cheap pickups) and it was given to me by a customer.... It looks good, and that's about all I can say about it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

It's a sturdy, powerful unit with clean sound and I'd like to buy a 2nd new one if I could.

Steve, I found one. You have the information in a PM I just sent you.

Note I tried to post it here but it really messed up the thread's format.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Janice:

J&B

I’m a lefty and found it many years ago at a shop. It was stamped D-35 L at the usual spot. I contacted Martin and they explained the employee deal. It’s identical in every detail to a factory model other than not having the headstock decal. It had extra nice Indian rosewood to be post Brazilian. Me? I can replace a bridge and other minor things but not a build!

Bud

I too am a lefty

In 1980 I walked into a music store and saw a brand new Martin D-35L hanging on the wall. I picked it for 5 minutes, paid the man his money and walked out. $950 with case if I remember correctly. I still own that guitar.

Used to be finding great lefty instruments was needle in a haystack stuff. Today the builds are fantastic and good value.
Over the decades many guitars have come and gone.
That D-35L is one guitar I just can't see myself parting with. For an acoustic guitar, its all you would ever want.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
Janice:

J&B

Bud

I too am a lefty

In 1980 I walked into a music store and saw a brand new Martin D-35L hanging on the wall. I picked it for 5 minutes, paid the man his money and walked out. $950 with case if I remember correctly. I still own that guitar.

Used to be finding great lefty instruments was needle in a haystack stuff. Today the builds are fantastic and good value.
Over the decades many guitars have come and gone.
That D-35L is one guitar I just can't see myself parting with. For an acoustic guitar, its all you would ever want.

One of my bigger regrets is selling a factory original lefty 1937 000-28 Martin. They were marked with an S then instead of an L. But the biggest regret music wise is selling a 1958 original Gibson Flying V that I bought for $350 via a local newspaper add for an "old guitar" in 1974. I later sold it for five grand and thought I'd done well. Over $200,000 nowadays.

Bud

Off-Topic
J
jdew Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
I want to thank everyone for responding. This is fascinating reading for me.

I've been around musicians (amateur and professional) and instruments of all kinds my entire life. I have always been fascinated by the various instruments and the sounds they produce.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Clarinet is the only common wind instrument I can’t play.

My favorites are flugelhorn and soprano sax. I play the jazz trumpet chair in big bands so I have to play trumpet, my original instrument. I like playing flute for classical music.

Whenever someone in my family was cast in a musical, I volunteered to play lead trumpet. One particularly low-budget show, I covered the trumpet, flute and bass books (I used my wind controller to play acoustic bass). So I guess I just play whatever is appropriate.

For us a sax is so close to a human voice. I'm sure a million others have said that. Billie Holiday and Lester Young on tenor sax are, again for us, some of the most wonderful interplay we've ever heard.

Bud

Off-Topic
J
jdew Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

<... snip ...>

Oh yeah... I've got a pretty red Strat copy that hangs on the wall. It's horrible to play (action is high, intonation is horrible, and cheap pickups) and it was given to me by a customer.... It looks good, and that's about all I can say about it.

Adjusting the action, setting the intonation and even replacing pickups on a Strat are actually fairly easy, at least straightforward and not very complex. I learned to do those sort of things (not because I like to but because I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it). Basically, if I can do it anyone can.

Who knows, that Strat copy might be more than just good looking....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Who knows, that Strat copy might be more than just good looking....

The quality of a lot of "knock off" guitars have jumped dramatically in recent years. That is good for musicians.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 06/18/23 05:04 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

Steve, I found one. You have the information in a PM I just sent you.

Note I tried to post it here but it really messed up the thread's format.

Thanks Mario,
When I say "new" I really mean new. I've never purchased anything from ebay and when they say "never used" (or similar) I take that with a large grain of salt and wonder what recourse I would have if it showed up as a pile of broken parts or failed in a week. This is why I like GuitarCenter.

This would be a back-up amp and so is not a high priority at all. But there are may features I really like about the bronco; one is it's steel mesh grille. Many manufacturers (including Fender) have gone to the flimsy cloth grille that a well motivated house fly could penetrate, not to mention a wayward foot. What were those engineers thinking?? To save $10.00 per unit? Pass that on to the customer, I'll pay a bit more for enhanced robustness.

I understand that Peavy has a 100W amp and Markbass a 60W unit both ranked well and with steel grilles.

But I do appreciate your effort buddy.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps this will explain better. This was 2019; I've made several changes since but the collection is close to the same.

https://www.mattfinley.com/promos/Instruments2019.JPG

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,775
Posts737,253
Members38,579
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Myra Millan, Nickolas, philou33, Elvis Nash, randy gollard
38,579 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186