#771646 07/21/23 07:19 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
O
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
Hi Guys,
I am a 2018 user. Since I started my journey with BIAB, I have been putting off, brushing aside, and generally avoiding all things midi, however, because it seems the only way to get a melody without painstakingly editing the notes on the notation thing-a-ma-bob,(I don't read music) I took the plunge and got myself an Akai LPK25 midi controller. It fired up and I was able to record a short piece of Jamaica Farewell in BAIB, no problem. Now I have to learn quickly whatever is necessary (and nothing more) . to make descent sounding interludes for my backing tracks. Where do I start?

Veteran
Veteran
OK I'll try to help.

Here is a MIDI CC chart:

https://www.whippedcreamsounds.com/midi-cc-list/

When starting out don't try to use or learn all of the MIDI CC CC means Continuous Controller) as it will be very confusing. Start with the following:

CC7, CC2, CC11 = are all volume controls. If you use a wind controller you use CC2. For keyboard, bass, and guitar MIDI controllers use CC7 or CC11. Start with CC7 and once you get that down look up CC11: CC11 works in conjunction with CC7, but you don't need it to start.

CC1 - Mod wheel - its use is determined by whatever MIDI sound source you are using. Some MIDI sound sources use it as a volume controller. Others use it as a vibrato controller while some have specific parameters it controls.

CC10 - Pan will place and or move your sound from one side of the stereo spectrum to the other.

Pitch Bend - Pitch Bend will raise and lower the pitch of a given sound: the amount of change is determined by the sound source. Think of a horn player starting on a slightly lower pitch then rapidly moving to the correct pitch.

CC7, CC10, CC1 (Mod Wheel) and pitch bend are the ones to learn first.

Another thing to be aware of is Program Change, labeled PC. This will change the sound source to another sound, i.e. for instance a trumpet to a sax. If you are using a DAW you would probably put each instrument on a different track.

I will be glad to help you if you need further help.

PS - if this is redundant just let me know: I don't know exactly what you have already learned.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I'll go a bit further and say that for a beginner in midi... just learn how to get the notes in. Whether you "mouse" them in or preferably, learn how to play a midi keyboard well enough to get them in. The midi keyboard is much easier once you get the hang of it, and you can always easily edit any mistakes of simply try again, and again.

Once you have the parts.... you can convert it into audio and work with it like any other file. I have never, not even once, used any of the midi CC controllers in any of my songs. Never.

And a side note.... if you read the keyboard's manual, there;s generally a way to change the key that the midi is output as. What that means is if you can play in the key of C.... as in...all the white keys, you simply raise or lower the midi keyboards key and you can play in any key you want and use the white notes rather than the process of learning to play in all the musical keys with the black notes. For example... From the key of C, one whole step up is D with 2 sharps..... change the midi keyboard up two half steps ( one musical whole step) and you can play the white keys and it sounds like you are in D. I can't recall the times I have used this shortcut.

With BB that midi shortcut is not needed. You simply change the key of BB to C and play the parts..... Then, once you're satisfied, you simply change the key of the song in BB to whatever key and everything including your part changes.

Work smarter.... not harder.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
O
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
Thank you Mario, not redundant ay all, I know nothing. I have a keyboard controller that plugs into the USB of my PC and I have Band in a box, and that is how much I know of Midi

O
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
So, the Midi is on the Melody track and if you transpose in BB the midi transposes as well? That's good to know.

O
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
When you say convert to audio, does that mean you can put real tracks to it? But that will screw up the melody. won't it?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Oom Karel
When you say convert to audio, does that mean you can put real tracks to it? But that will screw up the melody. won't it?

No, it means that whatever you have in your MIDI file will be turned into an audio track, i.e. no realtracks. Realtracks are audio recordings of professional players, thus they can not follow MIDI.

I respectfully disagree with my friend Herb. If you have a say BiaB piano track that sounds great as is then yes Herb's method is OK. But a dull BiaB track converted to an audio track it will be a dull audio track. For example you have a sax track that is dull, that is no pitch bend, volume changes, or vibrato your sax audio track will be dull, regardless of the price of the MIDI sound source. But you can bring that MIDI track to life with the addition of subtle pitch bends, volume changes and vibrato. Then you convert that live sax track to a live audio track.

The quality of the MIDI sound source reflects mostly on the cost of the MIDI sound source. The expection is that there are some very good free MIDI sounds available BUT I would not encourage you go start getting better MIDI at this point in time.

I will warn you that the BiaB GM MIDI sounds are some of the poorest sounds are when compared to more expensive sounds. PGMusic suggest the free Cakewalk TTS-1 MIDI GM sounds and they are much better. Also some GM sounds may not accept some CCs so don't get frustrated. If you have problems feel free to contact me.

I hope this helps.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I respectfully disagree with my friend Herb. If you have a say BiaB piano track that sounds great as is then yes Herb's method is OK. But a dull BiaB track converted to an audio track it will be a dull audio track. For example you have a sax track that is dull, that is no pitch bend, volume changes, or vibrato your sax audio track will be dull, regardless of the price of the MIDI sound source. But you can bring that MIDI track to life with the addition of subtle pitch bends, volume changes and vibrato. Then you convert that live sax track to a live audio track.

About what? I'm missing the point or something. What do you disagree about?

All I mentioned was:
1. Get the notes in by any means possible
2. You can convert the midi to audio by freezing and it works like any other audio file.
3. You can change the key of the keyboard to make things easier.

www.herbhartley.com

Expert
Expert
I've recommended thie FAQ before. midi and audio are different so it helps to know a bit about what midi actually is

https://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq69.htm#1

once you have a midi track it peoduces a sound. you can convert that to an audio once you've got it but the midi and the audio you produce still remain two different kinds ways of making sounds

Last edited by Bob Calver; 07/22/23 10:48 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

About what? I'm missing the point or something. What do you disagree about?

All I mentioned was:
1. Get the notes in by any means possible
2. You can convert the midi to audio by freezing and it works like any other audio file.
3. You can change the key of the keyboard to make things easier.

This is the line that I was talking about "Once you have the parts.... you can convert it into audio and work with it like any other file. I have never, not even once, used any of the midi CC controllers in any of my songs. Never." A static BiaB MIDI track when convert will be a static audio track. Adding various CCs will add realism to said static track, this is especially true with guitar, bass, and horn tracks.

In my mind your statement gave the idea that you do not need CCs, which of course I disagree. If I am wrong then I apologize.

Last edited by MarioD; 07/23/23 03:01 AM.

Expert
Expert
As Mario mentions, BIAB's 'built-in' MIDI player is not great and it's well worth getting another. Curiously IMHO, PGM have quite a good engine 'hidden away' in a subfolder. It's VSTSynthFont and you'll find it in the PGM manual.

It comes with a passable soundfont, but there are other, better, soundfonts available free. I personally use mostly Compifont and "Timbres of Heaven". YMMV. Searching for "free sound fonts" may help.

There are also the bigger engines like Native Instruments' Kontakt.

With a user-played melody track, these can often sound quite good just as one recorded them, but as Mario points out, judicious use of MIDI CC command (continuous controller) can make a big difference, especially with some of the smarted sound engines. Those like the SWAM engines are amazing if costly, as are the Spitfire Audio tools for some things. There are lots of options. Small steps.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
O
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
Uhh, uhhhm, thanx guys, I guess. So I managed, quite easily, to play and record an interlude/intro. It's the trumpet section of ring of f by JC, and it sounds like a piano, not a good piano. Then knowing everything I do about midi, I went and applied some patch, of a brass section, and I played it and it sounds, well, like a piano. And I tried a few other patches, including some of the Hi Q thingys and got it to sound like, well, a piano. It did change sounds when I tried flute and some Japanese sounding thingys, but they are so horrible that I prefer the not so good piano sound. I suppose part of my frustrations have been dealt with in your comments, i.e. get a better engine. Here I was thinking it could be a flat learning curve...sigh!

Veteran
Veteran
Uhh, uhhhm, thanx guys, I guess. So I managed, quite easily, to play and record an interlude/intro. It's the trumpet section of ring of f by JC, and it sounds like a piano, not a good piano. Then knowing everything I do about midi, I went and applied some patch, of a brass section, and I played it and it sounds, well, like a piano. And I tried a few other patches, including some of the Hi Q thingys and got it to sound like, well, a piano. It did change sounds when I tried flute and some Japanese sounding thingys, but they are so horrible that I prefer the not so good piano sound. I suppose part of my frustrations have been dealt with in your comments, i.e. get a better engine. Here I was thinking it could be a flat learning curve...sigh!

Funny... yeah, no learning curve is ever flat. It's simply a matter of exactly how steep is the curve?

It sounds like you are not assigning the trumpet sample properly. Piano is the default so that you have sound in a lot of the midi synths. You need to assign the proper sound sample to that midi channel or synth to get the correct sound. Each synth works essentially the same however, the method or process of assigning a different sound to that synth varies depending on the particular synth you are using.

I didn't see, but maybe I just missed it... what synth are you using for your sounds with midi?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 07/24/23 09:30 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I suspected this. You guys are overloading this guy with the information dump about MIDI CCs and expensive, high-end orchestral libraries when he doesn't even know how to change patches yet.

https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2023full/chapter1.htm#midi-setup

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Veteran
Veteran
It would be really helpful if you told us exactly what synth you are using. That way we can tell you exactly what you need to do to switch the sound from piano to horns

www.herbhartley.com

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
I suspected this. You guys are overloading this guy with the information dump about MIDI CCs and expensive, high-end orchestral libraries when he doesn't even know how to change patches yet.

That'll be partly my doing; sorry Oom.

I meant both to be pointer to future, not immediate.

I meant VSTSynthFont64 and some good free soundfonts to be the key, now, to getting a decent sound. It's surprising how good they can be just from the plain old MIDI note data.

Get the notes in, played with what expression you can; play them back through a decent sound engine; decide if that's good enough, or rerecord, or maybe dive deeper into MIDI CCs.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

I meant VSTSynthFont64 and some good free soundfonts to be the key, now, to getting a decent sound. It's surprising how good they can be just from the plain old MIDI note data.

Get the notes in, played with what expression you can; play them back through a decent sound engine; decide if that's good enough, or rerecord, or maybe dive deeper into MIDI CCs.

Same here.

But here is his initial post:

Hi Guys,
I am a 2018 user. Since I started my journey with BIAB, I have been putting off, brushing aside, and generally avoiding all things midi, however, because it seems the only way to get a melody without painstakingly editing the notes on the notation thing-a-ma-bob,(I don't read music) I took the plunge and got myself an Akai LPK25 midi controller. It fired up and I was able to record a short piece of Jamaica Farewell in BAIB, no problem. Now I have to learn quickly whatever is necessary (and nothing more) . to make descent sounding interludes for my backing tracks. Where do I start?

One would have assumed by this he already had at least some basics down.

O
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
Thank you guys, I have a good grip on BAIB and am comfortable with assigning real styles and real instruments. But I know nothing about midi in Band In A box.Nada...One of you suggested I go and study exactly what midi is and how it works. Synths, patches, plug-ins, VST, Dxi....I love it when you talk forren, but I don't know what yar sayin. So where do I go to for Midi 101?
Oh, and did I mention that I am using BAIB 2018?

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

Same here.

But here is his initial post:

Hi Guys,

One would have assumed by this he already had at least some basics down.

Yeah. You would think.

Apparently not, judging from his posts.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Veteran
Veteran
Thank you guys, I have a good grip on BAIB and am comfortable with assigning real styles and real instruments. But I know nothing about midi in Band In A box.Nada...One of you suggested I go and study exactly what midi is and how it works. Synths, patches, plug-ins, VST, Dxi....I love it when you talk forren, but I don't know what yar sayin. So where do I go to for Midi 101?
Oh, and did I mention that I am using BAIB 2018?

One of the first things that I would suggest is to load a few BiaB MIDI styles and via the mixer look at the patches, that is sounds, that are being used. Just use the GM MIDI Coyote DXI sounds that comes with BiaB: set it up like I have pictured in pic 1: left click in order 1,2, and 3 then set yours like 4,5, and 6. note you MIDI input may be slightly different looking as mine.

Look at BiaB's MIDI channel table, pic 2, again left click 1,2, and 3. Note that the bass will always be on channel 2, the drums channel 10, piano 3, etc. Now look at the patch numbers. They will be the GM sound number from the GM MIDI standard list, see

https://soundprogramming.net/file-formats/general-midi-instrument-list/

BiaB's MIDI channel will not change, the piano is always channel 3, but the patch number/sounds will change but they will always be GM MIDI. That is the patch may be patch 2 bright piano, or 4 honky tonk piano. Note that the GM MIDI list always stays the same, that is patch 2 is always a bright piano, patch 41 a violin, etc.

Sometimes there will be different instruments listed. Don't panic just look at the mixer under patches to see what instrument is listed, i.e. pic 3. The patches are listed in the identical order as BiaB's MIDI channel, thus the organ in pic 3 is channel 7, i.e. the organ replaced the strings.

Let me know if this helps any.

See next post for better pics.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Pic 1.jpg (126.89 KB, 73 downloads)
Pic 2.jpg (152.59 KB, 73 downloads)
pic 3.jpg (114.87 KB, 73 downloads)
Last edited by MarioD; 07/25/23 01:36 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,545
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173