Print Thread
Go To
#60901 02/17/10 09:03 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Morning all

Jazz Up, Jazz Down has few details in the manual. There are so many things to be mindful off when building songs, this kind of goes unnoticed so I've never given it a whole lot of thought until I embarked on another search this morning for more info on an item in the same menu. I've always thought BIAB had 'jazz' overtones even in country/folk/ and other non-jazz styles. Could this be the reason?
I don't work with jazz styles, so I'd like to set it "off" and be done with it.

Does this feature have a permanent "check off" setting anywhere?
Does it have to be set for each song, and then reset upon return to that song?
There are only several lines in the menu.

If you've discovered more about the effect of jazz up/jazz down, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Veteran
Veteran
Here's one place:

There is a checkbox in Opt., Preferences, Overrides for Allow Embellishment of Chords, and right under that, two buttons to select 'Jazz' or 'Pop/Country'.

These have been there for awhile, and do seem to affect MIDI. I doubt they could have any effect at all on Real Tracks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm a noob, so I apologize if this is obvious or old hat. (Or totally irrelevant!)

Every once in a blue moon, I'll hear an inappropriate dominant chord (usually the piano) played over a major chord. There is a checkbox somewhere that enables playing dominant chords for all majors. I also saw another setting to allow dominant chords just over the V major (which makes more sense to me). I'm not sure if those settings apply to chord subs or just to soloists playing over changes. (This also probably related closely to the "bluesy" check boxes, which I think applies just to soloists.) Could that be related to your issue and causing the "jazzed up" sound you're trying to avoid?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

These have been there for awhile, and do seem to affect MIDI. I doubt they could have any effect at all on Real Tracks.

They definitely don't. I've messed with that extensively. If you use a jazz Real Style, the players will do what they will do. In fact, I've noticed that if you type in, say, G13, the piano or guitar may play just G9. If you type in, say, Fmaj7, the guitar may be playing an F6. Regardless, they are immune to the chord-sub overrides. Which makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited by Schnazola; 02/17/10 11:39 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

There is a checkbox somewhere that enables playing dominant chords for all majors. I also saw another setting to allow dominant chords just over the V major (which makes more sense to me).

Where is that, please?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

If you use a jazz Real Style, the players will do what they will do. In fact, I've noticed that if you type in, say, G13, the piano or guitar may play just G9. If you type in, say, Fmaj7, the guitar may be playing a F6. Regardless, they are immune to the chord-sub overrides. Which makes perfect sense to me.

This sometimes poses a bit of a challenge for me as a composer, when I really would like to hear the exact chord I wrote, at least in the first chorus. For this reason, I generally compose using MIDI piano and guitar until the song is nearly done, then switch to Real Tracks.

Most of the time, this works great, except when a chord doesn't seem to be supported in a particular Real Track. For example, a few of the Real Track pianists do not recognize a mMaj7 chord, and just drop out when that chord comes up. I've reported that, and it's getting better with each new update.

Journeyman
Journeyman
"Jazz up" has very few details to describe, Ian, because it does a lot less than people seem to hope (or fear).

If you "jazz up" your tune, it merely changes certain chord values for only that one tune to modern ones. An A is automatically made into an Amaj7, for example. Minor triads become minor 7ths. Nothing happens to your style. Melody stays as is. It is not a rash maneuver. The process is exactly reversible; if you don't care for your jazzed-up result or if you want to try a jazz arrangement in a folk style, jazz things down.

Jazz Up is just a one-shot deal that re-writes one set of chords and doesn't carry though to anything else, anywhere, ever. There's no way to turn it off, because it's never turned on.
___

Larry
______
allis #60908 02/17/10 10:43 AM
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks so far to:
Matt - I visited the Prefs and made sure the setting you suggested was unchecked for Pop/Country.

Schnaz - was unable to find the adjustments you mentioned.

Allis - Basically what you are saying is that if I use say a pop/country style, that an A chord will remain an A chord and not become an A maj7 UNLESS I click on Jazz Up.?
Neither Jazz Up nor Jazz Down are default settings, but a choice.

Can't tell if it affects RTs or only Midi.

Thanks -Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

Where is that, please?

Quote:

Schnaz - was unable to find the adjustments you mentioned.

I promise when I get home tonight I will try to locate that stuff -- in as many places as I can. I've been pressing so many buttons, I don't remember what I've done and where I've seen them. I am CERTAIN I saw a setting for the "okay to play dominants on the V major chord" or some such. Again, it could be related to soloists only.

(Where is the "BOSS BUTTON" on these forums?!!!!)

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Basically what you are saying is that if I use say a pop/country style, that an A chord will remain an A chord and not become an A maj7 UNLESS I click on Jazz Up.?

Neither Jazz Up nor Jazz Down are default settings, but a choice.

Choice? What isn't? But that thing is certainly not a setting.

It is only a helpful utility program that will straighten up chords for you (quite well), without your having to slog through and type them in individually.

Styles interpret the symbols on a chord sheet in their own ways, but they do not replace the symbols with new ones; that is what Jazz Up/Down does. Try it on your songs a few times and you'll see how it works much quicker than by listening to me. It will not affect anything other than the song you run it on. If you don't save its results, it makes no permanent alteration, even to that. There are no hidden effects.

Larry
______
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Quote:

They definitely don't. I've messed with that extensively. If you use a jazz Real Style, the players will do what they will do.

Schnaz, you may modestly insist you're a "noob," but this BiaB orgy of yours is turning you into a site resource already. That was a helpful, knowledgeable remark right there. Thanks for mentioning it.

Larry
____

Larry
______
allis #60912 02/17/10 02:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Real Tracks are audio files so these settings are not going to change anything. If it's a jazz RT, then those jazzy chords were recorded but if you're using a country RT, probably not. When you think about it, it really becomes apparant just how big a job it is to put together these RT's files. A minor 9th vs a minor 11th for example. How many different jazz chord variations is it practical to record into one RT? Not just the basic chord either, what about voicings and inversions? I don't know the answer but they've done a great job so far but like anything else, the RT's don't have everything for everybody. This is why PG is not giving up on midi, there's much more control but then you're subject to the quality of whatever midi synth you have. Everything has it's Catch 22.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm not at home yet (still goofing off at work), so I haven't had the chance to hunt down the "dominant chord options" in BIAB. But I found this blurb in the new-features section on page 26 of the 2009.5 manual:

"Better playing on the 'V' chord, since it is usually played as a V7 chord. Options added to allow a RealTrack to treat the V7 chord as a V (useful in rock styles), or to treat all 7th chords as major triads (useful in blues)."

The second half of the second sentence puzzles me, though, because it would seem to me that the opposite would be true; that is, it is useful in blues to treat major triads as dominants. But anyway . . .

Later.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Okay, I think I found it -- and not a moment too soon, b/c it's after 1:15 am, and my damn alarm is set for 5:30. Guh!

It is a soloist setting, not a chord-sub thing (unless it's also somewhere else). Sorry for mentioning this whole thing in the context of Jazz-up/down of chords and chord subs. My bad.

If you press the Soloist button, the Select Soloist panel opens up. Pretty complex thing, that. But -- Lo!! -- there's more. Press the Edit... button on the right to open the Soloist Editor window. On the bottom right are all sorts of boxes to check regarding the treatment of major chords, dominant chords, and the V chord in particular.

I'm not sure I understand the bottom one: "Treat all 7th chords like Major." Does that mean Maj7 or Dom7? I don't see how treating Dom7 chords like simple major triads can make a solo sound more bluesy. On the other hand, I can see how treating Maj7 and Maj9 chords as simple major triads would make a solo sound more "bluesy." And since the word "dominant" was used for the other check boxes, I'm assuming that "7th" means Maj7.

But I suppose that's something ELSE to try out! TOMORROW!

Uh, I mean later today!

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Schnaz - I hope you're getting through the day OK after your dedicated research.
I wanted to say "thanks" for running this down. As much as I love BIAB, finding full explanations of all the features in the manual is sometimes hard to come by - that's why the collective experience of this Forum is so great.

Cheers - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You're welcome, Ian.

I hit the snooze button a few times and got into work a bit late, but I'll make it up later. I'm not tired now but will be this afternoon; that's when it catches up with me.

I, too, find the manual and the Help files a bit lacking, but I know how hard it is to write a great users guide. But I'll tell you what's remarkably good: the tips that pop up when you hover your mouse pointer over an item. They are fairly robust and often provide enough info to obviate a trip to the Help files or manual. The PGM software dudes who are responsible for the user interface are to be commended for taking the time to work those link tags into the program. Very convenient, I think, and greatly increases the usability of BIAB.

If I stumble across anything like the soloist dominant thing for chord subs, I'll let you know, but I infer from Matt's comment that it doesn't exist, and he would know. (He was obviously being polite.)

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, but far from it. I know enough to know I don't know everything about this program, as I am rightly called to task every so often for a blown answer I may give. About the soloist dominant thing, the reason I never saw that is that I don't use the Soloist feature. [That's what I'm here for.]

However, I accept the compliment about trying to be polite. Thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,772
Posts737,227
Members38,578
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Nickolas, philou33, Elvis Nash, randy gollard, palasound
38,578 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191