Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
I have been trying to resolve this for nearly two years. It started with version 2022 and I hope I could solve it with 2023 – no luck.

For many years previously I had always started a BIAB song by the press of a key on my keyboard but now I get an access violation sometime during the playing of the song. I use a USB/midi interface between the keyboard and computer and select “pause until midi or key received” I also use a Roland SD-50 for the midi and a Focusright for the midi and audio sounds but the problem is the same if I remove them and just use my laptop. This arrangement worked perfectly for years but stopped with 2022 and I have never been able to make it work since then.

I cannot remember everything I have tried but obviously they include Run As Admin, Restore Factory Settings and Deletion of Mysetupand dk intrface.bbw files. Happens with every type of song or style, Midi or Real Track and is no different between MME and ASIO.

Here is the key.....
If I start the song with a key press but then don’t play on my keyboard while BIAB is playing the song then it never happens but if I keep playing then sooner or later I get the violation. This seems to indicate that it is the continuing midi signal from my playing that is causing the problem in the laptop. BTW I have to use the Thru channel otherwise the song doesn't start in the first place.

I tried to enclose one of the BIAB error files but it seems it has to be an image not a text file.

Does anyone else start BIAB with a keyboard press?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tony,

Here is what I'd try to see if it helps me isolate the problem.

(Before doing this, I suggest saving your current setup. This is done with "Options/Save Preferences".)

1. Close BIAB and unplug any USB music connections from the computer (not just from the instrument).

2. Open BIAB.

3. Reset to factory defaults under the Options menu. (I use "Most" in the first instance and if that doesn't work, I use "All".)

4. Exit BIAB to save the new set up and restart BIAB. Leave the USB music connections unplugged.

5. Under Opt/Preferences, set the "Pause playback until MIDI or key received".

6. Load a song, press PLAY and then click on a QWERTY key and see if the song starts generating. (This "Pause playback" option works with QWERTY keys as well. When I do this, the letter I press appears in the chordsheet but it is not part of the generation. I don't know if this is normal behaviour or not.)

Does this work properly? If so, then...

7. Exit BIAB.

8. Plug the USB music connections back into the computer and start BIAB.

9. Check under "Preferences/MIDI Diver" that the correct input driver is selected.

9. Load a song and see if a MIDI key from your Roland will start playback.

How did this go?

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thanks Noel

Before I do as you suggested I have a couple of comments.

I don't need to prove that pressing a qwerty key will generate then start the song. In fact, since i am having trouble using a piano keyboard press to do this, I always use a foot switch programmed with "space bar" and this works every time with no Access Violation.

I am not sure what you mean by "see if a MIDI key from your Roland will start playback" The Roland synth has no keys and I can always start playback using my computer keyboard. It's just that I always get an access violation if I keep playing the piano while it is connected to the computer and I never get this if I simply stop playing the piano.

I sometimes wonder if I am the only person using a piano keyboard to start BIAB songs becuaue I never hear it mentioned.

Tony

R
rms Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: Tony Wright

I sometimes wonder if I am the only person using a piano keyboard to start BIAB songs because I never hear it mentioned.

Tony

That may be so at the moment Tony!
I used that feature for years (Start/Stop) ..... until I updated software to 64 bit and it did not work .... and PG does not want to waste time fixing it .... only 1 person using that feature anyway .... so I gave up.

I think it is still in their manual

Erol

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: rms

I sometimes wonder if I am the only person using a piano keyboard to start BIAB songs because I never hear it mentioned.

Tony

That may be so at the moment Tony!
I used that feature for years (Start/Stop) ..... until I updated software to 64 bit and it did not work .... and PG does not want to waste time fixing it .... only 1 person using that feature anyway .... so I gave up.

I think it is still in their manual

Erol

Starting by pressing a piano key still works, it's just that I cannot stop this intermittant Access Violation.
Actually there is a way to stop it as follows which isn't very practical.
1. Reduce the strength of the Thru signal to -100 in Midi Options. This means you have to hit the piano key very hard to start BIAB.
2. Play as normal with lighter pressure which sends a very weak midi signal which doesn't trigger the access violation

Go figure!

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tony.

I've added some additional thoughts below given the information you've added.

Thanks Noel
I don't need to prove that pressing a qwerty key will generate then start the song. In fact, since i am having trouble using a piano keyboard press to do this, I always use a foot switch programmed with "space bar" and this works every time with no Access Violation.

"Space bar" and "Press any MIDI or QWERTY key" are two different functions in BIAB (see #1 and #2 on the image below). Using your foot-switch that activates the spacebar is not the same as pressing a qwerty key.

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by "see if a MIDI key from your Roland will start playback" The Roland synth has no keys and I can always start playback using my computer keyboard. It's just that I always get an access violation if I keep playing the piano while it is connected to the computer and I never get this if I simply stop playing the piano.

I didn't realise that the SD-50 was a sound module. I thought it was a Roland keyboard synth.

Does this mean that you have a keyboard connected to BIAB and that BIAB is set to play its MIDI sounds from the Roland SD-50, which means that the keyboard you have connected also accesses the SD-50's sounds? Is the Focusrite mentioned in your original post the device that allows you to connect to your speakers. Also, am I correctly interpreting your original post to mean that you have a separate USB connection for your MIDI keyboard?

If I am correct, are your BIAB MIDI Driver settings as follows?....

(a) Input device = MIDI keyboard through the USB MIDI device

(b) Output device = Roland SD-50 Sound Module (maybe as a VST synth)

Regards,
--Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
spacebar_press MIDI or QWERTY key.jpg (107.01 KB, 92 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Tony.

I've added some additional thoughts below given the information you've added.

Thanks Noel

"Space bar" and "Press any MIDI or QWERTY key" are two different functions in BIAB (see #1 and #2 on the image below). Using your foot-switch that activates the spacebar is not the same as pressing a qwerty key.

Quote:

I didn't realise that the SD-50 was a sound module. I thought it was a Roland keyboard synth.

Does this mean that you have a keyboard connected to BIAB and that BIAB is set to play its MIDI sounds from the Roland SD-50, which means that the keyboard you have connected also accesses the SD-50's sounds? Is the Focusrite mentioned in your original post the device that allows you to connect to your speakers. Also, am I correctly interpreting your original post to mean that you have a separate USB connection for your MIDI keyboard?

If I am correct, are your BIAB MIDI Driver settings as follows?....

(a) Input device = MIDI keyboard through the USB MIDI device

(b) Output device = Roland SD-50 Sound Module (maybe as a VST synth)

Regards,
--Noel

The way you describe input/output and Preferences is EXACTLY the way I have had things set up for years and it worked perfectly until 2022 when I started getting the access violations while playing. I would add that I also have to have Midi Thru set in Midi options otherwise “pause till midi received” doesn’t start the play.

I think the key points are.
1) The songs continue playing with no interruptions as long as I don’t play along at the same time. If I start to play along then sooner or later I get the violation.
2) It almost seems like BIAB or my computer doesn’t like being connected to my piano keyboard via a midi cable, and continuing to receive midi as I play, while BIAB is also generating it’s own midi. Here’s a clue. If I reduce the Thru strength to say minus100 (in midi options) then the problem disappears but then the midi signal from my piano is too weak to start BIAB playing in the first place.
3) The problem doesn’t seem to have anything to do with using external midi and sound devices because it is exactly the same using just the computer.

I am using WIN10 and have updated but I haven’t tried any computer changes except as noted in my original post.

You can see why I gave up two years ago!

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Tony,

When you say you "reduce the thru strengths to minus 100" in the MIDI options, which parameter do you set? Maybe I'm not looking in the right location but I cannot see any setting that will accept minus 100.

Also, when you set MIDI thru in Options so that "pause till MIDI received" works, what do you do?

Lastly, when you stop using the external sounds, how do you set BIAB to play from just your computer?

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Tony,
Did you do Return To Factory settings as Noel suggested. Maybe I missed, but it doesn't show you tried that. I had some Access Violation errors before and applying newly released patch did not solve it for me. Return To Factory settings > ALL, did.

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Tony,

When you say you "reduce the thru strengths to minus 100" in the MIDI options, which parameter do you set? Maybe I'm not looking in the right location but I cannot see any setting that will accept minus 100.

Also, when you set MIDI thru in Options so that "pause till MIDI received" works, what do you do?

Lastly, when you stop using the external sounds, how do you set BIAB to play from just your computer?

Regards,
--Noel

Look under "MIDI Options"
The sixth box down "MIDI thru" must be ticked if you are going to use a midi sugnal to start play.
The box *Boost Thru velocity by" can have numbers from -129 to +129 to decrease or increase the strength of the thru signal. If you use -100 then you have to thump the piano key really hard to get a thru signal.
You can run BIAB with just a laptop by using the computer speakers for sound output and vsti/Dxi for midi however it sound terrible.

Thanks for trying to solve my problem
I will carry on using a foot switch sending a space bar to start, although I really like the piano key method.

Tony

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Tony,
Did you do Return To Factory settings as Noel suggested. Maybe I missed, but it doesn't show you tried that. I had some Access Violation errors before and applying newly released patch did not solve it for me. Return To Factory settings > ALL, did.

Yes thanks, it was the first thing I tried.
Tony

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,698
Posts736,164
Members38,546
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG
38,545 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 174