Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
.....to have Non Destructive Editing, Snapping on any beat/bar and any time signature as Audacity now has ?

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I suspect it may as soon as Audacity gets a chord sheet, melodist, RTs, RDs, Partial regeneration, no wait any generation, Midi, notation window, piano roll, Audio chord wizard, guitar or piano window, drums window, sequencer, soloist, harmonist, Chord builder, juke box, lyrics window, tuber, style maker, heck styles, multiriff, and about 20 more things.

I'm not saying it doesn't need these things but hey Audacity is not even in the picture.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Rob Helms
I suspect it may as soon as Audacity gets a chord sheet, melodist, RTs, RDs, Partial regeneration, no wait any generation, Midi, notation window, piano roll, Audio chord wizard, guitar or piano window, drums window, sequencer, soloist, harmonist, Chord builder, juke box, lyrics window, tuber, style maker, heck styles, multiriff, and about 20 more things.

I'm not saying it doesn't need these things but hey Audacity is not even in the picture.

I don't think the question intent was: 'Will Audacity have the same features as BiaB?'

I think the question was more likely intended to be: 'Will BiaB have Non Destructive Editing, Snapping on any beat/bar and any time signature?', i.e. will BiaB add some of the features that Audacity currently has?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks AudioTrack !

Can we use that as an example that it went from destructive editing to non destructive editing, to make Biab better ? or should we use protectionism to keep it in the past.
Is it good to adopt things that are shown to work or is it best to attack them. I wonder if this is what's happened all along ??
1990 New user, new idea > attack. New user, new idea > attack. New user, new idea > attack. New user, new idea > attack. 2023
I remember way back being attacked for asking for a solo button on the tracks in RealBand a simple no brainer thing that every DAW had.
It's a real shame that no learning has happened after all that time, Defensive Protectionism.
That's all I do, that's why I'm here, to get users to stop using Biab, it's a terrible thing, just use Audacity and say forget PowerTracks just use Harrison's Mixbus, there could not be any other reason, I totally deserve to be attacked.
From another post:
"Like Playable RealTracks I posted all this info and demos in that horrible windows Reaper to show them working, then when it's finally implemented years later a long term users said "Wow PG we didn't know that was possible to do", give me a fricken break !
I use Reaper as an example of this as I can script things in it to show how Biab CAN work not to say Reaper is better than Biab "get rid of Biab guys", if you can't SEE that then there is something chronically wrong.
I think what I will do is make a list of all functions and features that have been implemented over the many years from me suggesting and showing ways to implement them, then users that hate what I do can avoid these in Biab through spite."

Journeyman
Journeyman
I use Audacity to do simple things. For example, I like its noise reduction.

...Deb

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Musy, im not trying to protect anything, and i do get your point. Non destructive editing is a good idea for BiaB. I just wish you would stop trying to paint others points as old guard or protectionism. It is not fair and tends to be rather insulting. I do appreciate where you are coming from for sure, and i also agree with you, and Trevor. This needs to be added at some point.

My true point is that Audacity is a simple and very effective audio editing "DAW" but it lacks any resemblance to what is capable in BiaB. It is a great tool in the tool chest. To compare BiaB with Audacity is like comparing a hammer and chisel with a CNC machine. And no Audacity is not the CNC machine. It may have superior audio editing tools than BiaB, but it lacks about 30 other capabilities that BiaB has.

I hope that BiaB adds what you mentioned above i really do. One thing we, meaning you , I, Trevor, and everyone else here who make good suggestions here have to realize is that as we have discussed in the past, BiaB is written in 30 year old code language, and adding somethings will take more effort. Since BiaB was not intended from the start to be a true DAW, it was written as a midi based software. It has grown to have an amazing selection of tools. some ideas you have floated out there and we have seen them come to fruition. Many others have contributed much along the way. We all want to see BiaB continue to grow.

Let's work together to be voices of reason, and positive thought to help this happen. If my response was taken as critical of your views i apologize for that, as it was meant as perspective. This is a very complex piece of software, and there is nothing remotely like it on the market. there are other programs that do part of what it does but nothing puts it all together like BiaB does. Sometimes i am amazed at the little scripts you put together to do a taks that you would like to see in BiaB, you have a gift. Still because you can get a simple DAW and a script and a third party app to do a task doesn't prove that BiaB can do this without breaking something else that slows down the annual cycle. Just look at what you pointed out regarding the Apple issue. One thing throws a monkey wrench in the machine. With something as complex as this program patience is needed. I do think for a minute Peter and gang want to just not add what the valued users want. He has shown time and again he wants to make his customers happy.

Best to you and i again apologize if I said anything to make you feel like i resist your thoughts here. It was not my intention.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I hope that BiaB adds what you mentioned above i really do. Let's work together to be voices of reason, and positive thought to help this happen.

Thanks Rob !

As I have said so many times, the BBPlugin will be the way forward, once it gets the current generate functions in the crossplatform code it will solve so many old limitations and skyrocket forward.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
What if I suggest it to Audacity:
You are using non destructive editing now, you should have an option to save just as a reference file (like .xml) to just reference the file locations and not save a massive big *.aup3 file that includes all the audio data.
It would be good to have an option. I use a 2TB library of recorded session musicians in wma and wav format, it starts using too much hard drive space if you render all the files to new wav files unnecessarily. I can script Reaper to load all the source file sections used in Band In A Box as wma or wav (or flac aiff mp3 etc) without having to render tracks down to wavs on the hard drive then import them. Reaper plays all the formats direct without decompressing to wav first, so no new files are created.
A new file format absolutely is coming in the future and being able to do that would be a requirement from my side. It'll be a while until that happens though, we have an Audacity 4 to make first.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Re bb plugin development.

All.

I hope this post doesnt mean people will jump all over me..
and yes i think it's a great idea for the bb plug in etc.
i just think , pg shouldnt become over reliant on the bb plugin.
this post explains why.

let's talk about business strategy and the long term survival of pg to grow and prosper.

some background.

ive seen in the past in tech companies whereby a critical part produced by someone else is incorporated in the tech companies product.
In summary the market is littered by companies that fell because they didnt 'row their own oar' and relied on a third party for success.

So how does this relate to the pg plug in ?
yep …everyone wants the plug in to operate with their own personal fav daw…totally understandable BUT there is a downside per the example i gave above re tech companies relying on third parties…viz..

Now pg developers have to worry about not just imposed os changes and impacts on the plug in but also maybe the daw itself changing that the plug in is interfacing with.
so things might evolve whereby pg developers are in constant 'react mode'
using lots of pg developer resources due to things outside their control ... such has felled many a good company in the past. for example there is a new plug in format emerging and being adopted by some daws…ie CLAP.
to support it more resources will be needed if CLAP becomes dominant.

In summary…from a strategic biz perspective and long term survival of a company there are dangers in 'putting all one's eggs in one basket'.
cos if the basket changes…the implications are obvious etc etc.

Here's an example small biz study on why relying on factors outside one's control can lead to problems.
years back i knew a family that operated a thriving restaurant in a busy tourist region in england.
For years the business had provided a decent living for the family. (no great riches…just a living.).
for years the tourist buses stopped at the bus stop outside the family restaurant which was always busy. until one day the powers that be determined to move the bus stop. and you can guess the rest..the family lost a decent living cos the buses didnt stop outside the restaurant anymore.

In summary, given the above…yep develop the plug in further…
but all i'm suggesting is dont rely on it…because then pg becomes in a 'master slave relationship' whereby a third party, the master can impose conditions on the slave so the slave is in constant react mode.
and thus chew up valuable development resources.

in summary i feel strongly that pg's long term survival (from many case studies ive seen in industry) should not just be tied to third parties but also pg should 'do their own thing' and 'row their own oar' also in their product development.

should anyone doubt what i'm saying just look at case studies why some companies failed in the past due to reliance on third parties.
its no cakewalk being solely a plugin developer.

let the rotten eggs start flying…lol.
seriously…my concern is for the long term survival of pg ... .so us musos will continue to get nice new features in pg's music software apps.

happiness to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/12/23 07:05 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Well written OM, but I will respectfully disagree with some of your opinions.

I have had the same plug-ins operating perfectly from Cakewalk's Pro Audio (I forget how many versions), Sonar 1,2,3 and Studio One Pro 4,5,and 6. Most have quickly upgraded to VST3 so that must no be a difficult upgrade. BiaB is still using DXi and they have been dead for many years now, I know you can use the old VST2.

If PGM could make the plug-in contain most all of the standalone features I think it would be a winner. Both OSes could upgrade simultaneously.

Although I hope PGM continues I believe it could be in trouble. Young people want software to work properly from the git-go: I have other music and photographic software that does with maybe only one bug upgrade during a year. As stated many times BiaB menus need an overhaul, something really just don't work properly like micro chords while others don't work at all like different time signatures. Read Uwe Schwarz post and you may see others. Note I tried to do a song like Mercy, Mercy, Mercy as well as I'm a Man using micro-chords but I just couldn't get to respond like I wanted. That brings up another thing, terminology. That should be in the music terms everyone else is using.

IMHO PGM is trapped in old outdated code. They have done wonderful things with it buy it may be coming to an end, or at least a hold position.

Now my friends don't come down to hard on me. I have said it many times virtually all of my songs start in BiaB but I leave it as fast as I can because I get so frustrated with it. I have little music time lately so I want to make music, not try to figure out convoluted software: If any other music software gave me problems like BiaB does they would have been deleted years ago.

That is just my opinion and you may or may not agree.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Amen.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mario.

of course you make valid points.

but although rewrites seem a great idea ive seen in industry that sometimes because the various user groups cant achieve consensus often a rewrite can go 'pear shaped'. as in fred in accounting refuses to use the features bert in production wanted. so the new rewrite stalls cos of lack of consensus tween the versus user groups.
and of course the tech development team can get stuck in the middle of it all. been there done that.

after many years in tech i was frankly glad to stop working
in tech. saw too many crazy work situations...lol.

twas always thus i dont thInk there is any type of perfect solution. ive used various music production apps over the years and even though frustrating often one just has to cope via workarounds.
which is evident on many user daw forums.

all i was suggesting from my tech experience is any company should be carefull being the slave to anothers master.

youre also correct re some new users to music production apps
who cant abide problems.
i cant abide lots of things in life like our washing machine going on the fritz lol...or the car needing a major costly repair ...mais c'est la vie.
its just life. One copes.

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/12/23 05:38 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I think the reality is that the plugin will continue to be developed, and it will slowly get the attention needed to become a really nice and useful ........... Plugin. One a lot of people can use to add tracks to their favorite DAW. that was the plan from the get-go. It does that now. I do believe it will advance to have a few nice upgrades as time goes on.

One thing i do know from that last 20 years with PGM BiaB is and will always be the flagship. It is the money maker and that will not change. Having said that i hope some of the cool ideas floated for it happen. It would be fiscally foolish to toss the main program aside to develop a plugin that may at best bring in less than half what the program brings in.

Let's hope for some nice add ons to the program, the plugin and even MR. RB a program that does more than it is given credit for.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You have Biab, you have the BBPlugin/BBPlugin Standalone, you have RealBand (neglectedware) and maybe a crossplatfom Live Arranger version of the BBPlugin Standalone. The programmers doing Biab/BBW4/RealBand are Delphi, the programmer doing the crossplatform JUCE Plugin is C++ released on Win and Mac (possibly Linux) at the same time without having to spend another 6 months on the Mac version.
What would be the most sustainable and efficient for the future ?
If the Plugin/Plugin Standalone contains the generate code to start with then other popular functions that are in Biab can be added gradually without all the basically unnecessary bloated stuff.
They won't have all their eggs in one basket, you will still have the current Biab 6 months Win 6 months Mac for some time yet, but you will also have a crossplatform BBPlugin/BBPlugin Standalone/Live Arranger released at the same time for Win/Mac/(Lin).

RealBand is just simply too neglected, imagine if all the Biab Delphi programmers suddenly focused on RealBand !
I posted info 10 years ago when I was using and interested in RealBand, they are only just now talking about maybe implementing that info frown ask yourself. I post stuff for other users that have been neglected wanting more work put into RealBand, but me personally am over it. I think this RealBand Wishlist should be removed from the wishlist as giving false HOPE (holding onto positive expectations)

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
MCity, i agree that would be an ideal line up of tools to use. What i expect that will happen is the products that are now being developed are the same ones as last year, and the year before. There is BiaB, and it will be released with some really cool new features, and some really cool new content.

Realband will get a couple useful new features and that is it, due to it not being a money maker. I agree with the need to update it, i also posted 10 years ago regarding how it could be money maker if it was untethered and truly updated. I don't agree with RB being totally abandoned there are quite a few users that love it. But i also can't imagine shifting the developers time from a program that creates the revenue stream to one that comes free in the package. Not fiscally reasonable. I think you remember you and I both suggested a few years back rewriting RB or something new on the Ardour platform, much like Mixbus but with BiaB generation capability. Wouldn't that be cool!, I just honestly don't think it is going to happen at least in the near future. Again, I don't think it will get a rewrite and be changed drastically. It will continue to go forward very slowly. However, for what it does it is effective.

The plugin is likely to get a few cool updates i would not be surprised at some point if it gets your ask of direct to disk play, i would also not be surprised if it didn't. I am hoping it does as that alone would make it really cool. I would love to see it get "all tracks the same", (Hoping for that in BiaB) and the newer F5 mulitiriff feature BiaB has. I don't expect it will get what you describe as a live arranger. Maybe, but i doubt it. Hopefully, that would be really cool, but again, the focus will be BiaB, it always has been and always will be! Maybe direct to disk this year, live arranger next year.

I would love it if the plugin and RB got the love they deserve. I am not fighting you just being real with you. I think the smart place to put any effort into it for you, myself, or any others should be in helping BiaB become the best it can be. If history proves anything that is where the development progress will be made. There is a short list of long-term bugs that need attention and a few areas that solid improvement could make it even better and more attractive to newer users. Let's see what 2024 brings and then offer some ideas that may be helpful. We can continue keep an eye on the plugin and hopefully it will be developed along the lines you laid out. Best to you Sir MCity.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Rob, regardless of what happens or doesn't happen I can do things so easy with full creative control just using these 2 scripts, it could even be scripted to work with Ardour (MixBus), all the other mods suggested for Biab/RB/Plugin are for those that can't use Reaper and want to do it all in PG products alone, dragging consolidated wav files into their DAW's.
Originally Posted by musocity
You need 1003, you can run it alongside 1010-1013+ just rename it bbw64-1003.exe
Biab-1003-Basic-Scripts.zip
Try it with these 2 basic scripts first, one is an Autohotkey script and the other a Reaper.
Select a track in the Biab 1003 Mixer then run bb_track_info.ahk (make sure Autohotkey.exe is set to run as administrator if Biab is set to that)
Run Insert new track import bb temp txt data.lua ( this is set to look in filetxt = [[C:\bb\Data\temp.txt]] you can change in script if your bb folder is not on C:)
I'm working on an easy way to do it all at the moment but you can try this for now.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,384
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.