Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Andrew - PG Music
[quote]
However in comparing your bad with your good, I see that what you don't like is that the clean guitar sometimes strums a chord at the beginning of a phrase. Now that we have defined it, we have something that is actionable. I see that there isn't a simple version available for RT1831, perhaps we could make one that excludes the strummed patterns.

I think this is a matter of artistic style and preference. The "bad" version is exactly how I tend to play guitar, with strums mixed in here and there ahead of arpeggios. If I was working on this track to suit my taste, I would probably re-gen some of the bars to add some more of those strums and I like the fact that the realtrack offers both styles. However, I would certainly have no objection to having a "simple" version without the strums as an alternative realtrack.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Folks don’t forget that Real Track are only one option to use. You can add in MIDI patterns from BiaB or things like EZ products.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted by Lee N
You've now got a whole bunch of guitar parts regenerated that you can just quickly listen to, find what you want and use copy paste to put them where you want in the actual song.

Lee N provides the most efficient method so far.

One question though.

Say, for a song, Verse #1 generates 8 bars, and I really like it. Verse #2 and #3 have exactly the same chords, and I want to copy verse #1's waveform to the position of #2 and #3.

In Audio Edit Window (AEW), I can select the 8 bars in Verse 1, copy it, then select another 8 bars at Verse #2's position, and paste. It's doable but quite cumbersome.

Is there a way, I can possibly create a group/block of these 8 bars in Verse #1, once created, I can easily select and copy this block to anywhere of the song quickly and accurately?

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Charlie Fogle's method was quite smart and I have never heard anyone else talked about this in the forum.

Use Medley Maker to load several RealTracks then use Part Marker to determine which RealTrack to play at a certain bar.

A few questions though.

1. Can you load the same RealTrack to different channels in Medley Maker? So that same RealTrack was generated in several differently versions for you to choose.

2. Does this method allows maximum of 3 RealTracks to be switched? Because you only have 3 Part Markers at your disposal: Substyle A, C, and D. Each Part Marker to trigger a different channel in Medley Maker?

3. How can you deal with "Regular Part Markers"? In your image, you trigger the second channel (RT1829) with the orange substyle C at bar 7, and want it to continue playing through for several bars. However, at bar 9, there is a "Regular Part Marker A" for the purpose of adding drum fills, is this Part Marker going to be problematic? Is it going to trigger the first channel (RT1831) which is not intended? How can you prevent it from triggering a channel?

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Veteran
Veteran
If you or anyone else needs that RT 1831 as a functioning constant track pattern, now without waiting for PG to get around to it,
just enter all the one bar chords you will be using repeating them to give Biab more choice, in Biab generate up the track and regen any sections that are wrong. In Song Setting > Avoid Transpositions.
Now save it as a UsersTrack by rendering track and loading it into the Audio track, you can also make a DI version if need be.
Because you now have partial regen and can change any instrument at any bar you can also create a Holds UserTrack for it.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by MusicVillain
Charlie Fogle's method was quite smart and I have never heard anyone else talked about this in the forum.

Use Medley Maker to load several RealTracks then use Part Marker to determine which RealTrack to play at a certain bar.

A few questions though.

1. Can you load the same RealTrack to different channels in Medley Maker? So that same RealTrack was generated in several differently versions for you to choose.

2. Does this method allows maximum of 3 RealTracks to be switched? Because you only have 3 Part Markers at your disposal: Substyle A, C, and D. Each Part Marker to trigger a different channel in Medley Maker?

3. How can you deal with "Regular Part Markers"? In your image, you trigger the second channel (RT1829) with the orange substyle C at bar 7, and want it to continue playing through for several bars. However, at bar 9, there is a "Regular Part Marker A" for the purpose of adding drum fills, is this Part Marker going to be problematic? Is it going to trigger the first channel (RT1831) which is not intended? How can you prevent it from triggering a channel?

1. No. PG Music added a feature called "Thickening" several years ago so using the same RT# doubles and thickens the instruments in the Medley. Note there's a button to load a single RealTrack instrument four times by checking that button.

Saying that, going back the method of searching by Artist, it's usually a regular situation to find that artist playing that same instrument in a similar manner that two different RealTracks played by the same artist playing the same instrument can be used. This was the case with Dave Cleveland playing RT1831 and RT1829 and the two instruments were indistinguishable from each other. Another method using this feature is to use two instruments that are similar and often used together, pan them hard left and hard right, generate simultaneously, and apply PG DXI affects to both instruments or even VST's to both. This widens the stereo field, saved a track for use for some other instrument and treats multiple instrument Fx's like the track is a bus track. Complimentary guitars like an acoustic rhythm and acoustic fingerpick bounced together and effects added to both is an example.

2. No. A SGU file can have up to 24 different Part Markers, each with an -a- and -b- substyle. These Part Markers can be used more than once the same as the normal Blue and Green Part Markers. They can also be used for display only but using these Part Markers would trigger the RealTrack Medley Maker when the Part Markers option is used to trigger changes in instruments. In the example I posted earlier, I used a "display only" define Part Markers C/D and used the C Part Marker to trigger the regular Part Marker a substyle. Had I chosen the d display only Part Marker, the green substyle would have been triggered.

3. Part Marker are either a different color and they also are labeled. In the example I did earlier, the normal -a- substyle (blue Part Marker) you used to mark verses. I used the define part marker feature for changing instruments in the RealTrack Medley Maker and to be separate from the verses you had marked. Using Part Markers can also be used to designate Style Changes. These are quite powerful and complex tools to get better audio selections in a single generation rather than post generation editing or exporting tracks to a DAW.

Note that using Part Markers to determine which RealTrack to play at specific measures is only one method to do this. The Medley Maker has a total of ten different choices and changing RealTracks can also be done manually from the Bar Settings Window.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
Originally Posted by MusicVillain
You've now got a whole bunch of guitar parts regenerated that you can just quickly listen to, find what you want and use copy paste to put them where you want in the actual song.

Lee N provides the most efficient method so far.

One question though.

Say, for a song, Verse #1 generates 8 bars, and I really like it. Verse #2 and #3 have exactly the same chords, and I want to copy verse #1's waveform to the position of #2 and #3.

In Audio Edit Window (AEW), I can select the 8 bars in Verse 1, copy it, then select another 8 bars at Verse #2's position, and paste. It's doable but quite cumbersome.

Is there a way, I can possibly create a group/block of these 8 bars in Verse #1, once created, I can easily select and copy this block to anywhere of the song quickly and accurately?

Most of this I do directly on the chordsheet, I find it quicker and easier. The only problem is when a chord might change before the beat, in those case you need to touch up in audio edit.

When you copy, say 8 bars, it's held in the buffer so you can paste as many times as you want, where you want. (At least I think you can from memory).

L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
I've been messing around with Charlie's idea. This is even better. I still don't quite understand it all yet (never did understand define C/D) .. however, I can't believe I've never even thought of something as simple as putting the same realtrack on multiple tracks. This is far better because you don't have to mess around with extending the song length.

This combined with alt/F8, copy paste will be my new way of working. Also, now with track view, although it's clunky, it does have one advantage which is being able to extend or reduce the length of the regenerated part. Previously I would either silence or copy paste the overhangs to tidy things up, but now we can just drag the messy bits around.

Last edited by Lee N; 01/14/24 04:13 AM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I can't believe I've never even thought of something as simple as putting the same realtrack on multiple tracks.
I do this all the time but sometimes I get mixed results as BIAB will occasionally put the same riff on the same bar for both tracks which causes stereo to disappear as they combine. But now with partial Regen that is easier to fix.

L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
Originally Posted by JohnJohnJohn
I can't believe I've never even thought of something as simple as putting the same realtrack on multiple tracks.
I do this all the time but sometimes I get mixed results as BIAB will occasionally put the same riff on the same bar for both tracks which causes stereo to disappear as they combine. But now with partial Regen that is easier to fix.

So far I only tried soloing each channel to see how many variations come up. Seems enough to use for copy and pasting parts. I'm going to play around with Charlie's idea more, I can see this all being quite useful in some circumstances. Define c/d, medley etc, I've never even looked at before, just assumed it was all remnants from days of old and midi styles smile

S
S
I found this thread searching for Workflow as Im pretty new to BIAB . you people seem very advanced compared to me but I really like the info and insights I am gaining from this thread so thanks. I think i will refer to these comments and ideas over time and learn from it greatly so again thanks.
My start point was saving a song then when reloading it it needed regenerate which screwed it up then found freeze tracks which then leads to editing stuff and what the best workflow work practices are to not make an utter mess. Seems like that's not that easy and time comsuming judging by comments here. I am an accomplished Musician use to DAW recording in things like Bitwig and Ableton mainly have use Ample guitar VST for my guitar strums and my Roland Fantom I can get most sounds off like convincing Sax or B3 and Electric piano and orchestral strings etc. I use Toontracks drum programs with real drummer midi.
Im getting the idea from this thread that maybe I should not worry to much as i have these tools at hand instead use BIAB to get some basics down freeze tracks and save then finish in the DAW.
I noticed the 7 regens in a sub menu accidentally and you guys mentioned partial regens mentioned. i have not tried these yet so i will spend some time figuring how best to do this seems another non logical step of faith almost thing to have to do.
So maybe get stuff into the daw ASAP . At some point I could iff necessary, maybe replace some tracks or partial tracks with my own drums from toontrack and my played in parts on keys. I could mix these in with audio from BIAB , partial regens, creating loops from BIAB especially for solos. So using BIAB to create the ideas and chords but using the daw much more than I was hoping.
Does this sound logical in my situation with what I have ?
I thought BIAB would be more consistent. It seems too clever in someways and i don't like the fact it makes you freeze and regen and partial regenerate tracks or parts of tracks its seems unnatural to the musician in me. A bit disappointed, I think the average musician is going to find it like learning a DAW when you've never touched one or even worse. So hopefully they can rethink some of these things. Problem is the legacy code in a program can get too tied up and cumbersome and it almost needs large chunks reset and re written which of course can be a major pain for developers and even users . A giant can of worms.

Last edited by shaneblyth; 02/04/24 05:47 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
If you are new to Biab and used to a DAW you would be best to use Open SGU in Reaper or the Biab VST with Reaper as it will save everything you generate up.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by musocity
If you are new to Biab and used to a DAW you would be best to use Open SGU in Reaper or the Biab VST with Reaper as it will save everything you generate up.
I'm used to a DAW, but I don't use Reaper. Is that likely to be a problem?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Not at all, if you can use a DAW you can use Reaper and get all the integration advantages that you can't get will other DAWs.
Reaper is free to try n try n try so it's worth trying. Dragging and dropping is a drag, I remember doing that and getting a hard drive full of consolidated wav files.

Expert
Expert
The Version Reaper plugin plus the little Pipeline add-ons are a Must Have !

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Journeyman
Journeyman
No worries. I use Studio One Plus and BIAB still works. Reaper add-ons are created by a BIAB user and are very popular with the folks using Reaper.

...Deb

S
Veteran
Veteran
S
I always only use BIAB to generate, and in the end, I complete it in STUDIO ONE.
Until I am satisfied.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by swingbabymix
I always only use BIAB to generate, and in the end, I complete it in STUDIO ONE.
Until I am satisfied.
You have to render then drag a large consolidated wav files into Studio One, these files is stored on the hard drive.
When you use Reaper it will instantly load the Biab tracks without creating any wav files as it will use the source RT RD wma or wav files direct, or any other file type RT or RD. You can regen and instantly update any section in the DAW you don't like.
Any track section can be lengthened or shortened to tweak the riffs, you can't do that with a rendered consolidated wav file.
Studio One would be good if it had scripting to import file sections and use wma like Audition & Reaper, but it can't play wma direct and needs to convert to wav creating yet another wav file on the drive.

Veteran
Veteran
shaneblyth, welcome to Band-in-a-Box and to the forum. I appreciate your post and find it enlightening. Hopefully, my response will reduce your frustration and help you to understand Band-in-a-Box.

First, forget about comparing Band-in-a-Box, or BiaB for short, to a DAW. The program is not a DAW, never has been. BiaB is an auto accompaniment program. So approaching the program with the expectation it's a DAW doesn't work. Okay, so how should you approach it? What should be your expectation? To create backing tracks for a song. How would you direct other musicians to play that song?

You would likely start by telling the musicians I want to play "XYZ". It's a country song so I'm going to start with a country style. Load a country style and it provides you with a country feel by providing initial instrumentation, tempo, key and time signature as a starting point. You can try other styles or instruments or just replace the instruments you have. You enter the song's chord chart and hit play to see how the instruments sound. You swap styles and instruments until you get the feel and sound you want.

Now you want to get the instruments to play how you want them to play. That's where you use features like partial regeneration, micro-chords, medley maker, soloist, pushes and holds to make each instrument unique.

In real life when you're playing with other musicians you might say something like can you play this line a little differently. You can do the same thing with BiaB but you have to learn what tools are available and how to use them.

One approach that has some merit is to start your song in a DAW to create a guide or scratch track, bring the audio track into Band-in-a-Box and then use Band-in-a-Box to create backing tracks for your audio! Sounds backwards from what you were likely thinking, doesn't it?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,646
Posts735,424
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.