Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I have 9 choruses in my 30 bar song yet when I go to record a MIDI solo the program just stops in the middle of my solo, in some random spot, asks if I want to save the MIDI file. Sometimes it doesn't even make it through the first chorus, other times it will let me go for a few choruses but never makes it through to even 1/2 way through the song. Running the latest version in Windows 11. Any help is appreciated as BIAB is unusable like this.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi L2L.

I've reported this to the PG Music development team, and I've passed on a link to your post.

Here are a few questions whose answers would help the PG Music team.

• What instrument are you trying to record and is it set to a specific channel?
  • How is your MIDI instrument plugged into BIAB and through what soundcard?
  • Which track are you recording to, and have you tried any other tracks?
  • Are you running Build 1108 (the latest)?

Hopefully Team PG can help.

Regards,
--Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 01/15/24 10:30 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
One issue is the song has too many bars. 30 bars times 9 choruses equals 270 bars. Band-in-a-Box has a maximum bar limit of 256 bars when all the instrument tracks are set for normal time. When an instrument track is set for half, double or triple time the maximum bar limit is less than 256 bars. As a test, try reducing the number of choruses to 8 or 7.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
That's a good point, Jim. I never use multiple choruses so I'm not fully aware of their limitations. I know that it's certainly possible to use "Number of choruses" to create a backing that's longer than 256 bars since only the first chorus is the one that is restricted and the others are repetition of that chorus. I suspect that the 256 bar restriction would certainly be a factor during the recording process, though, because the melody is not linked to just the first chorus and so it is not repeated like a chorus.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
The problem has not been resolved. I am working with support but have made no progress. I am running 2024 Build 1109. I have created a NEW SONG of 10 measures and 3 choruses. Real Tracks Bass and Drums only. Recording MIDI to the Melody channel or Soloist channel - it doesn't matter which channel I use. At random, the MIDI recording just stops in the middle of the song (never the same place twice). I am running a Casio PX-S5000 through USB as a MIDI controller. I have made sure the computer will not "put to sleep" the USB ports. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it will stop recording MIDI data. Sometimes stopping when less than 100 notes are played and sometimes after 900 notes are played. It is totally random. I have tried this on two computer systems using many different songs with the same results. I can use the 10 year-old BIAB 2014 running from the USB hard drive it was supplied to me on from PG Music in 2014 and this causes no problems. Very perplexing (and frustrating). There is an error message that pops up whenever I run BIAB 2024 and support has not been able to debug this. I've attached a screenshot of the pop-up error message.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
screen-cap-Desktop-biab.jpg (12.4 KB, 199 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Lot2Learn
1) I am running 2024 Build 1109. (answers previous question about version)
2) I have created a NEW SONG of 10 measures and 3 choruses. (Eliminates theory of exceeded 256 limit)
3) Real Tracks Bass and Drums only.
4) Recording MIDI to the Melody channel or Soloist channel - it doesn't matter which channel I use.

Results:
At random, the MIDI recording just stops in the middle of the song (never the same place twice).

Expected Results:
MIDI does not stop recording.

Background Information: (to prove legit setup and issue is new to 2024)
a) I am running a Casio PX-S5000 through USB as a MIDI controller.
b) I have made sure the computer will not "put to sleep" the USB ports.
c) I have tried this on two computer systems using many different songs with the same results.
d) I can use the 10-year-old BIAB 2014 running from the USB hard drive it was supplied to me on from PG Music in 2014 and this causes no problems.
e) There is an error message that pops up whenever I run BIAB 2024, and support has not been able to debug this. I've attached a screenshot of the pop-up error message.

I am just trying to get someone on this forum to confirm your issue.
You've supplied a lot of good information in your last post quoted here I'm going to turn it into a standard step to repeat form.
---------------------------------------
Steps for FORUM MEMBERS to Reproduce the Issue:
1) Created a NEW SONG of 10 measures and 3 choruses, using Real track Bass on track (1) and Real Drums on track (3)
2) Recording MIDI to the Melody channel or Soloist channel.
--- Settings = Start from bar one chorus one,
--- Audio = None,
--- Filters = default
--- MIDI output is a VST

Results: MIDI stop recording in random spots.
Expect: MID does not stops recording.
---------------------------------------

Can anyone in this forum confirm the issue?

UPDATE: Following the above steps, it could not replicate the issue sing WAS drivers and MS GS waves.
Other pieces of data that need to be defined.
- In the Start from bar one chorus one, correct? A picture would be nice.
- You have record audio to none correct?
- What are your midi filter settings? A picture would be nice.
- For your midi output are you sending it back to your Casio sound module, or are you sending it to an internal VST? If internal which?

Last edited by jpettit; 01/23/24 04:34 PM.

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by jpettit
[quote=Lot2Learn]

1. In the Start from bar one chorus one, correct?
- YES. I am starting from bar one - the start of the song.
2. You have record audio to none correct?
-CORRECT. Record to Audio = NONE
3. What are your midi filter settings? A picture would be nice.
- See attached Screen Capture
4. For your midi output are you sending it back to your Casio sound module, or are you sending it to an internal VST? If internal which?
- MIDI output going to Pianoteq Version 8.2 internal VST or Synthogy Ivory. It doesn't matter which VST plug-in as they all create the error.
- Audio Output to computer soundcard ASIO4ALL driver.

Answers to your questions are in BOLD above.
I have created a new test song, 32 bars and 3 choruses.The same problem still exists when I record MIDI. The program stopped at random points (see screen captures). When I click on "OK - KEEP TAKE" the song continues to play from where it stopped, but without recording MIDI or the error box with ACCESS VIOLATION will pop-up (see screen shot).
I have attached the error messages and my MIDI/Audio settings to this message.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB-Forum-03.jpg (179.49 KB, 185 downloads)
BIAB-Forum-02.jpg (194.94 KB, 184 downloads)
BIAB-Forum-01.jpg (302.15 KB, 186 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Ok thanks I will update the steps to replicate.
The first thing they jumped out at me is you're using ASIO and you're using ASIO4All.
That can throw a monkey into the replication process.
Can you try your test setting that audio drivers to WAS?

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by jpettit
Ok thanks I will update the steps to replicate.
The first thing they jumped out at me is you're using ASIO and you're using ASIO4All.
That can throw a monkey into the replication process.
Can you try your test setting that audio drivers to WAS?

I tried testing using WAS audio drivers - FAIL. The same thing happened. I was actually able to get through the song once, but then on the second time through it just stopped the MIDI recording at a random spot. I also continue to get the ACCESS VIOLATION pop-up error on start-up of BIAB even when I switched to have it start with WAS instead of ASIO. Back to the drawing board...

Veteran
Veteran
Please try MME, I think you will than me. Oh and be sure to try Return to Factory Settings.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by DrDan
Please try MME, I think you will than me. Oh and be sure to try Return to Factory Settings.

Well I'll give you this much, it DID let me record all the way through the song without stopping as it had, but the LATENCY is absolutely atrocious!! The program is completely unusable with this amount of latency. There has to be another solution than to use MME

Veteran
Veteran
All this is helping us get closer to the issue.

Another thing they would help out is if people reading this thread would try the simple two-step test and reply with it’s working OK for me or I can replicate.

This data points us to your set up vs. a general bug.

There’s probably a dozen variables involved with this problem, so it’s a game of process of elimination.

What are the specs of your system?
It’s a good idea to put that in your signature, so you never have to answer the question again.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Yes, I also do not believe it is a software bug.
I am running a desktop and a Laptop and they are both having the same issue.
Here are my system stats for the Desktop, we will start with that one first:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz
16.0GB Single-Channel DDR4 @ 1063MHz (15-15-15-36)
Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (NVIDIA)
Realtek Audio - NOT in exclusive mode
Storage:
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB102 (SATA )
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA )
Casio Privia PX-S5000 as a MIDI controller (USB)

Veteran
Veteran
I record in my DAW and not in BiaB and the only time I have had recording problems is when there was a conflict in audio settings. For instance every time my Nvidia Geforce RTX 4060 updates it activates it audio, thus causing me problems. Since I use an external audio device I have to go into Device Manager and deactivate the Nvidia and sometimes the RealTek audio which sometimes a Win 10 update will activate.

Are you using the Nvidia audio in one computer and the RealTek audio in the other computer? Personally I don't think either card is the best for recording. YMMV

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
A friendly reminder to anyone responding to the issue, please try the steps called out above to reproduce and respond with your results.

Other ideas of variables involved in the issue are good, but we first have to establish that this is a local issue.

Thanks

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
An Update: I just tried to record a MIDI track again with the MME drivers, and the bug popped up! It stopped recording MIDI at a random point in the song. So now this error has shown up using every possible driver on my system: WAS, ASIO and MME. I'm not sure what to try next.

Veteran
Veteran
You have proven that the audio driver is probable not the issue.
I have not seen one person on this forum, that has over 40 people logged in at any given time, confirm that it works for them.

Your hardware all seems perfectly adequate, so I not thinking that's an issue either.
The one thing I'm pondering is, the rate that you got the failures did seem to be different with different audio drivers.
You have already tried returning your setup to the factory default setups to eliminate that, correct?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
- If you enable the wizard playalong feature under the play menu, and record yourself playing the QWERTY keyboard, does the error happen?
- In Options | Preferences | Record Filter if you uncheck everything except for Notes does the error happen?
- When you are recording, is "None" selected for Audio?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I recorded midi under these similiar conditions for the a half hour or so. Using MME with no significant issue with latercy (likely because of how I playkeys - the original slow hand).
I set up 12 bars x 3x using RD's and Piano MST and Bass RT. Played and recorded fine. No crashes.

It does appear you may have the Pianoteq VST on two channels - on the thru so that you hear it play, and then on the Melody in order to playback the recorded midi. this worked fine on my machine, but may be stressful for your system? I suggest you just put default Synth on the thru to lighten the CPU load during recording.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Ok I think I have found the culprit. Unfortunately, it looks like my new Casio PX-S5000 keyboard does not play nice with BIAB. Here's the test I did: I have brought out my old Roland FP-8 Keyboard and hooked it up via USB MIDI and the program runs fine and lets me record to MIDI for the entire song without stopping - no problems at all. When I close out the program and then hook up the Casio keyboard (via USB) the problem rears it's ugly head and the MIDI recording stops at random places. Does anyone else on the forum have a Casio PX-S5000 and can you reproduce this? I do not know if it would happen with the other PX-S models or not. But this is a brand new keyboard and this is what seems to be giving me the grief. I have duplicated this problem on both my laptop and desktop. Roland FP-8 - no problems. Casio=problem. So is this something in BIAB programming that needs to be addressed or what? I'm not sure where to go next. I really want to use the Casio. I tried changing settings on the Casio having to do with Local control ON/Off and High resolution MIDI out from the Casio - but these made no difference. I still have the problem whenever I use the casio PX-S5000 keyboard and try to record MIDI.

Last edited by Lot2Learn; 01/24/24 07:52 PM. Reason: Added the last 2 sentences
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,393
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.