Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#799705 02/11/24 07:14 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Life has been very busy, and it's been over a year since I've had time for any music. I'm still being called away, but have been making an attempt to get more involved again. I've recently listened to some of the stuff here, as as always the music and folks are great. I haven't had much time to write, and a little writers block as well, so I just picked out an old chord progression I had where the words never came and put some lead lines on it. I'm not the kind of guitar player that wows anybody, but I've enjoyed a lot of the instrumentals I've heard on PG Music Forum and thought I'd give it a try. This is my first ever attempt at an instrumental, and at trying to mix anything for over a year, so I'm certainly open to comments if you give it a listen. I do have some mastering tools, but have not learned to use them yet, which will probably be obvious.
https://soundcloud.com/user-722422510/[b]beside-still-waters[/b]

And the Band is:

Drums: Craig Scott, =BRT_PBG.STY
Bass: Neil Swainson, =BRT_PBG.STY
Piano: Miles Black, =BRT_PBG.STY
Acoustic Rhythm: Jason Roller, =BRT_PBG.STY

I'm playing the power chords, muted rhythm and lead guitars on my Gretch G5120 through an 11 rack processor.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Brad ...

Great to hear you on the forum again.

This is a really terrific song! I would call it Ambient Western - great soundtrack material! I really like the right and left guitar tracks playing off of each other. That's a real nice touch.

For a first attempt - or any attempt, for that matter - this is so dang good! The guitar tone is splendid sand perfect for the piece. And it is very nicely and cleanly played. In other words, ya did good - real good!

My first significant guitar (1963 when I was 17 years old) was a Chet Atkins model Gretsch Tennessean. I started out a couple of years earlier on my father's old Gibson ES-125. You sure did make your Gretsch talk! Very pleasant listen!

Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Brad, very fun listen! Agree with Alan's assessment so I won't repeat it. Like the delay in the FX chain on your lead guitar. Had to Google "Eleven Rack" processor. That looks like a fun unit, though I was visualizing a tall rack with 11 occupied rack spaces. Ha!

Welcome back, hope you continue to contribute!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad,

That is a great piece of music. Your Gretsch sounds excellent - good mix. I love the feel of this.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sure have missed you, Brad. A fine piece you've written and performed here. Good mix, too. Hey, you're wowing ME withyour playing. I really like how you mix them in, and the tasteful notes your provide to complement each. A tasty treat. I like "ambient Western," but in any cse it's good. Well done.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad, The Gretsch sure fits the tone bill here. Nice clean ear pleasing sound. The western feel backing track was well done. I liked the stops. The overall sound would benefit from some mastering polish. The investment in Ozone is highly recommended by many of us here. Keep em coming. You can definitely play! Tom

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Alan, thank you very much. You are one of my instrumental heroes on this forum, so the compliment coming from you sure means a lot. It takes me a few weeks of trying to not do as good of a job as you can in a couple of hours! And it's hard to go wrong with a Gretsch and a Gibson as your first guitars. I just heard a song yesterday played and sang by Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed called "Gibson Girl". It's a neat little ditty if you have time to look it up.

DC, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Ha, I'm afraid I don't have the space or money for one of those great big racks. This one just sits on my desk next to my recording computer. It's getting pretty old now, but it's a lot of fun to mess with and has a lot of different sounds - if only I could learn how to use them!

Thanks for commenting Bob. It's good to hear from one of the experts.

I've missed hearing from you too Marty, sure is good to hear from you now. Your one of the most fun folks on the forum IMHO. I kind of like that term Alan came up with, "Ambient Western", though I'm not sure what it means - or how to spell it! Ah, par for the course.

Thanks a bunch Tom. I'm still struggling a lot with playing lead. I've got a ways to go to learn how to play like you do I'm afraid. Yes, I've seen Ozone mentioned a lot and bought a copy last year. But that's when things all went to heck and I've not even pulled it up on my computer yet. I hope to get some tutoring from Dave Cuny sometime soon and start using it.

Brad

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Brad...I'm sure glad you're back! This reminds me a bit like some of the soundtracks to those good old spaghetti westerns...I can see Clint or Lee Van Cleef riding in across the desert as the first scene opens...love the tone of the lead and a cool melody as well...sometimes a good instrumental can get the juices flowing again...you'll be telling great song stories again very soon... when you do...post them!!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Brad.

I like this! smile

The echo effect sounds cool, but more importantly the result is very musical the way you use it.

I promise, we'll get together! My family and I have been fighting a lingering cold for weeks, and now we've all got COVID. So I won't be seeing anyone in the immediate future. But after that... Well, you know how to find me! wink

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
There is a cool call and response thing happening with the guitar parts.......really works well!!! Could be score music for the right scene!! Nice!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Dan, I've been catching up with some of your stuff, and as usual - it's great. Yeah, I hope this kick starts me into writing again. A lot of time issues lately.

I'll be looking forward to it Dave. My wife came down with COVID too, so we've been staying on separate sides of the house for days now - that stinks. I'm going to cook her a steak for Valentines Day, but once again, she'll have to eat hers in a totally different room!

Hi Greg. It's good to hear from you. Thanks for stopping a by and giving it a listen.

Brad

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Brad,
those echoes create a nice call-and-response effect, and that's a nice mellow and relaxed sound you got out of the guitar.
I like that!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Lovely instrumental which really evokes sitting by a river on a warm and breezy day.

Some favourite Waoist Adages:
#1: Play on the Way.
#17: Ask not for whom the flower blooms, it blooms for you.
#69: Bring consciousness to it.
#74: On the road to effortlessness, effort must be made.
#105: Be Love Now, the rest will come on its own.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Brad,

Good to see you back!

Nice instrumental, I like your use use of the delays, and your playing sounds fine to me.

Enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A pleasant listen, Brad.

Nice to see ya back around...

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad

A pleasant listen nicely played.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad, I'm glad that you are back and man did you come back with a winner!
Super tone
Loved that delay that you so perfectly incorporated in this song
Great mix
We can't have to many instrumentals on this site!
Loved it.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome back.
Love Al's "ambient western" description ... fits to a T.

Nice playing and track choice also.

Enjoyed the listen,

J&B

Regarding Ozone, until you get used to tweaking the modules just select the "focused thought" or "gentle dynamics" preset and it will likely brighten and open the mix a bit. Just make sure you aren’t redlined on the maximizer.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Brad,

Good to see you again.

I really like the chord progression and the structure of this and the actual notes that you're playing. All very good! Excellent my friend!

I hope you don't mind a couple of comments on the sound of the effects though, because it's just a very, very minor perception. It can totally go exactly the way that you have it because I know you're going for the cowboy sound, but I do have a few ideas.

First, the 'mastering tools" I think you are speaking of have very little to do with the end product for the type of music that you are attempting to produce here.

99.9% of it occurs in the mix and any type of mastering tools simply puts an extra layer of polish on top of that.

In terms of the mix, anything that you use in an effect which colors the tone and the sound of the guitar cannot be changed later with any mastering tool known to man because the cake is already baked.

I have struggled for decades trying to get the right type of sound that I'm looking for with guitar instrumentals and it all occurs at the mix level and I'll tell you a little bit about what I've learned, not as a criticism of what you've done but just a couple of things that I've learned.

When you're using effects like this, especially in an effects rack, there can be a fine line where some of the knobs are turned just ever so slightly too far in one direction, with stuff like reverb and echo.

At that point the listener becomes too focused on the effects themselves and not the notes that are being played.

If you're going to be doing a lot more instrumentals, and I encourage you to do so, I would dial back the effects just a little bit so that the listener's concentration is drawn more to the beauty of the notes themselves and the tone of the guitar as opposed to the sound of the effects, but I'm not talking about a big change just a smidgen.

Also, I can't tell if you're using an amplifier in the effects chain before you're going to the effects box. The sound of a quality guitar through even a small Fender tube amp is a one of a kind classic sound that cannot be duplicated by any effects rack known to man even if you do add in effects pedals or something like Amplitube as best part of the chain after it passes through the audio interface. (The affordable Fender Super Champ is a hybrid that combines both tubes and onboard effects and can do just about anything.) In my opinion, the Telecaster or Stratocaster through an amp sounds are some of the most gorgeous sounds that have ever been invented and should be deployed whenever humanly possible.🙂 And a Gretsch is great too!!

Mixing solo electric guitar sounds is really really really really really really really hard.

In order to make it sound like it's all recorded in the same room so to speak there cannot be a drastic difference between the sound and effects of the guitar itself and the sound of the instrumental bed. It's an extremely tricky balance, but I hope this makes sense.

I love the song though.

I hope this wasn't too much information or an info dump but if you're going to be doing a whole lot of instrumentals in the future they may be just a couple of things to consider because I love the sound of your guitar and I love what you're doing.

I promise I will never give another piece of feedback that's this long ever again as long as I live.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad,
You've created a lovely gently flowing instrumental track here! I like the clean sound of the lead guitar notes and also the panning of the echo notes! an enjoyable listen!
Take care, TB

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,719
Posts736,470
Members38,554
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM
38,554 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187