Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
J
Jakob Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Did anyone read the BIAB review in the March issue of Electronic Musician (EM)? The author of the article did a decent job of reviewing BIAB but a couple of things I take offense to. The first thing is that he doesn't consider BIAB a serious tool for performance. I know many of you like myself use BIAB for gigs. Up until the economy went South, gigging with BIAB was my main source of income for the last 10 years. The other thing he mentions is BIAB sounding cheesy unless you assign is to external synths or VST/DXi. I might have missed it but I didn't see any mention of using BIAB's included VST/DXi in the article. Even without the DXi, BIAB sounds better than many other products out there. As I mention before I've been performing gigs with BIAB for 10 years. Actually, it's been almost 20 if I count the time I used it with a group when I was in Germany. Long before the real drums and instruments, musicians would come up to me while I was performing and ask me where did I get my sequences. They wanted me to do seq for them. If I were a crook, I could have just taken their money but instead I told them it was BIAB. I heard guys use top notch synths for their backing tracks and they sound "Cheesy" because the drums and the bass are playing the exact same pattern every four bars. That's what makes BIAB different, it doesn't do that. I know I'm preaching or should I say venting to the choir. I would have posted this on Face Book but I know they wouldn't let me post this many characters. Thanks to you Peter and your whole team for making it possible for an average saxophonist to make a living gigging solo!

Dell Studio 16 Laptop i7 with 256 gig SSD
BIAB, Reaper, Encore, Sibelius
Roland SD-50
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Just to play devil's advocate here, I do understand what the reviewer means. There are relative degrees of "cheesy".

For instance, Microsoft's GM sounds are "cheesy" when compared to ForteDXi.

However, ForteDXi, while being a fine product, has a MUCH smaller sample set than, say, Vir2's "Vi.One" or Stephen Slate Drums, both of which I use with BiaB.

So while ForteDXi sounds "good enough" for most applications, the two Kontakt instruments I mentioned sound significiantly better, so perhaps ForteDXi could be called "cheesy" in comparison.

It's all relative and depends on your point of view.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And of course, BIAB doesn't actually produce any sounds, so it's really hard for BIAB itself to sound cheesy. It's the reviewer's computer that produces the sound, although an external synth was mentioned as sounding better (but we've known that all along). Using the computer's sound source as sounding cheesy, the same could be said for any other MIDI software (Sonar, for example).

Now, if he was saying that the style execution is cheesy (some styles are, but many aren't), then that's a different thing. It's not clear the actual meaning. And (not having read the article) did he review the Pro PAK or the EverythingPAK, along with RealTracks/RealDrums.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like time for a letter to the editor. They should know better.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Ok, has the critic listened to music lately? Recently, someone handed me an R&B song used as an anthem for this winter olympics. Although I thought the vocalist was truly talented. The music backing him up sounded like it was composed on a cell phone!! Bleeps, and beeps, and bloops, etc. The poor guy (the singer) was trying to bring soul into a ringtone. What would this critic say to that?

Jakob, I would encourage you to keep using BIAB for your gigs. I would be surprised if anyone should make negative comments about the sounds generated by BIAB as they whistle along to the bleeps and beeps coming from their cell phone.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Don't. Huffy responses to all criticism are the earmarks of amusing crank communities.

Besides, the criticism is not unfair. You know very well the reviewer is talking about the VSC. Since it's the only sound source included with BiaB, it's inevitable people after decades think of it as the Band in a Box sound. All the peoples of the earth have complained increasingly for years that VSC (as the current phrase has it) sounds "cheesy". They are correct. The general level of available synth sounds improved hugely; PGMusic stayed forever with the VSC and earned a cheesball image.

That sound is what somebody who installs a review copy is going to hear. He would be a a slack reviewer not to mention that it sucks. He has no obligation to supply better sounds to make the product seem better.

Larry
______
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, I don't agree at all. The guy is a pro or is supposed to be. He knows full well that any midi capable program requires a sound source and the better that source, the better the sound. The VSC is simply included as a freebie to get a customer started if they don't have anything better sounding just like Cakewalk does with the TTS-1 with most of their programs. Does he say Sonar Producer sucks because the included sound is cheesy? This is worth a respectful letter.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi, Bob. I never intend to read the review, so I won't get into discussion much, but Jakob said:
"The other thing he mentions is BIAB sounding cheesy unless you assign it to external synths or VST/DXi."

That seems perfectly fair of the reviewer to note, and it addresses your complaint. It makes it clear he was talking about the included sound sucking, not the program itself. It also hints that he did give it a go with other sounds to be sure of his point.

You have a point yourself about the TTS-1 (another elderly Roland softsynth which is not much good any longer). It must mean something that many BiaB people have bought cheap Cakewalk programs to get the crummy TTS-1, since it's at least better than the VSC.

Larry
______
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I think its a great review, one of the best we've ever had.

http://emusician.com/software/pg_music_band_in_box_2009_review/index.html

His reference to "cheesy" was talking about the past, and then talks about RealTracks as an alternative to cheesy computer sounds.

What's not to like, with lines like this... "Starting a song is an exercise in instant gratification."

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As a long time reader of EM they tell it like it is. I thought this was a very flattering article. They said it sounds cheesy unless you use a VSTi/DXi, external synth or RT. So what's left? The built in sounds of Windows and yes they are cheesy. I think even Peter would agree to that.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
If you actually read the review, it is as Peter points out - a rather flattering review.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It is a good review, but I do wish the reviewer wouldn't have given a 3 for the sound, although I realize that must be from things like hardware reviews.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
That's a pretty solid review. Hard to argue with much that is there. Good one!

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
E
Expert
Expert
E
+1 to Peter's post. It was a good review. I spend a fair amount of time trying to convince musicians to give BIAB a try. A few days later, I always get the comment "Yeah, it's cool and all, but it doesn't sound real".......

Then I have the 30 conversation about VSTs, samples, the evils of the MS Wavetable, Real Tracks/Drums etc. After their eye's glaze over, I play a couple of tunes using first the MS wavetable, and then better sounds, etc. THEN they get it, and start to see that BIAB is a great program that CAN be hampered by bad sounds. Or sound totally pro.

Agreed that the reviewer should have done a little more digging to get facts straight on sound output in BIAB. Also, I use BIAB for most of my gigs....that makes it Professional to me.

Ed

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Peter,

That was a great review. I especially liked the way he ended it.

Quote:

Band-in-a-Box is a deep program that fosters the continuing education many of us engage in throughout our musical lives. From ear training and chord analysis to harmony and simple play-along fun, it offers many ways to expand your musical knowledge.

It’s nice to see BIAB get the “kudos” it deserves.

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I think that this is where the GM-centric approach of PG music tends to bite themselves in the behind - the 'cheesiness' comment.

What PG should do is provide some MIDI-only accompaniments rendered to audio included with BIAB, but where there's been choice VSTi selection done for all of the parts - perhaps this conflicts with Realtracks a bit, I don't know.

Some killer drum kits used - perhaps Steven Slate drums, Trillian used for bass lines, NI B4 or similar for organ parts, Pianoteq for piano parts, etc.

The problem there is that quickly the costs to have non-cheesy sounds rise far above what BIAB costs if you include the expensive VSTi or outboard gear. So, while some complain that the sound quality category got a low score, it is what it is unless one supplements with less cheesy sounding software/hardware.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,
The problem with what you suggest, in my opinion, is that BIAB can't do what you're asking of it. Not until Peter and Co. get around to allowing users to assign the different outputs to different synth devices. Yes, I know that you can drag and drop to a DAW, and even Real Band, something the reviewer didn't even bring up, but you are no longer working in the core program, so it's not applicable.

Furthermore, as is often the case, BIAB is aimed at the lowest common denominator, which basically means General MIDI. If Roland and PG Music come to an agreement to allow PG Music to package the TTS-1 or something similar (and I don't even know if that's being looked into or not) then maybe the opinion of some will go up.

In either case, I would like to see the option of individual MIDI outputs for each part, and would have preferred that over the editing an imported MIDI track, so that people do have a choice of where they want to send their parts.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
M
Expert
Expert
M
my 2cents.
biab comes with realband. right ??
there was no mention of the synergy that can be obtained
useing both programs.
this was an important omission in the review.

the whole "cheesy" thing is a blind alley imho.
cos anyone who has even the most basic understanding of midi knows
if ya dont want cheese , ya either use softsynths and/or
external midi hardware to generate sounds.
(as well as realtraks if one wants.)

the problem is many folks look at biab the wrong way imho.
viz thinking of it as a full blown daw program.
whereas the right way to look at things is the biab/RB combo.
the reviewer omitted to point out the increased scope for creativity
useing the biab/RB combo.
eg getting the song idea down in RB , then fleshing out the rest of the song
in RB where one has 48 traks to doodle with.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Off-Topic
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Very fine review indeed.

My feeling about using BiaB - the better musician you are the better BiaB becomes. BiaB can also make you a better musician.
One great snowball!

George

Last edited by georgeptingley; 03/12/10 09:57 AM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Great review! Congratulations.
If I didn't already own it, I would have bought based on that article.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,705
Posts736,253
Members38,547
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S
38,547 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181