Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
T
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone, I am new to Band in a Box and was just wondering if somebody could help me, as I have never used it before.

Basically, I am a song writer and would like to turn my lyrics into songs. I dont play guitar, but I know exactly how I want my songs to sound. I know the tempo, the melody, etc. Its just a case of putting the music in my head onto the pc.

Is this software ideal for it? Am I able to create a song from scratch, adding my own instruments and creating my own sounds/melodies?

I know this probably sounds riduclous to ask, but I have never used the software before, and I basically just need some software to enable me to create songs from scratch.

Rather than paying some bogus company to make a demo for me, Id rather create my own songs on my pc because I know exactly how they should sound. My songs will only be for personal use though, I dont plan on taking them any further, I simply want to create my own album from the material I have written.

Many thanks.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No doubt you have come to the right place, that is if you have a general feeling for chord structure. You see you have to enter the chord changes for your songs. After that is done you can choose instruments (some very good real tracks I might add) and key signature, style and tempo and you're almost there.

I know you will hear from many of our forum members who use the software just as you intend to use it.

Also keep in mind that PG Music offers a 30 day money back warranty just in case.

Good Luck,

Off-Topic
T
OP Offline
T
Will the basic Band in the Box do for this? Or do I need all the updates and add ons as well?
Does the basic Band in the Box have all the instruments? Or would I need to buy all the upgrades to get these?

To be honest, the instruments Im looking to use are just the basics - guitar (acoustic, bass, electric), drums, maybe a few others like strings, depending on the song. Are these all included on the basic version?

Sorry for sounding a bit stupid, its just that I havent yet got Band in the Box, I will be receiving it in the next few weeks. So I really am a complete beginner on it.

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi

Could you tell us what your system is, like soundcard or soft synth,hardware modual,which is needed to play
tunes in BIAB,and do you play any instrument like a midi piano which would make it easy to add melodies

regards Dave Hoskins

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hello, You say you don't play guitar -- do you play an instrument at all?

One thing I like to do, if I get a new song idea with lyrics, is to cruise through the styles and the associated demo songs one by one and see if one comes close to matching the sound in my head. After I have a found a few that work, I will pick a demo and start modifying (change keys, change to my chords, work out sections). Now this could take a little while, since there are so many styles!!!! Of course, if I know it is "country", I stick with the midi country styles (midi vs. realtracks so the demos load faster).

Most of all, have fun!

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
You could try that Songsmith program (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/) and see if you get background music that roughly fits what you're trying to do. It's not expensive at all ($30). It uses MIDI and not the greatest quality sounds, so it would probably sound cheesy at first. But you'd get an idea as to whether you're on the right track or not. You could then export it to BIAB, tweak it, add RealTracks, MIDI soloists, etc. Export those tracks to a DAW (RealBand, PowerTracks, Sonar) and redo the vocals for a final product. If you use PowerTracks, you can even generate background vocals - a feature that BIAB has too.

BIAB has a lot of bass, acoustic and electric guitar, and drum sounds, so you will probably be happy with what it has.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

You could try that Songsmith ... You could then export it to BIAB, tweak it,....

Are you sure? I did not see where Songsmith exports MIDI. How would you get a S'Smith song into BiaB?

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
....and yes, enforcer, biab is the tool you are looking for. There may be a learning curve, but this is stuff you will have to learn anyway. Give it a try.+

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi everyone, I am new to Band in a Box and was just wondering if somebody could help me, as I have never used it before.

Hi Enforcer! Welcome to the forum!

Quote:

Basically, I am a song writer and would like to turn my lyrics into songs. I dont play guitar, but I know exactly how I want my songs to sound. I know the tempo, the melody, etc. Its just a case of putting the music in my head onto the pc.

well, unless you play at least one instrument it will be somewhat harder to input a specific melody, but still possible. BIAB comes equipped with various ways to create automated melodies and harmonies. And you can use the piano roll method to create a melody with your computer keyboard and mouse.

Quote:

Is this software ideal for it? Am I able to create a song from scratch, adding my own instruments and creating my own sounds/melodies?

In my opinion, the answer is a resounding YES! Many people use BIAB and its companion product RealBand to do exactly what you want to do. Even people who don't play any instrument are successfully using these products to write AMAZINGLY HIGH QUALITY songs! (Have you listened to any of the demo songs here? I think these snippets are quite impressive, and totally indicative of what you can achieve right out of the box)

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...ge=0#Post249436

Quote:

I know this probably sounds riduclous to ask, but I have never used the software before, and I basically just need some software to enable me to create songs from scratch.

That is not ridiculous at all... it is hard to imagine that any software could do what you want; but that's exactly what this software does... IMHO, it is easily the most intuitive and easy-to-use software for creating original songs entirely from within the software environment.

The most basic package has fewer styles, and styles are what give the songwriter more options. So you (being a songwriter) would certainly want to buy a package that comes with ALL available styles.

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...ge=0#Post249476

Quote:

Rather than paying some bogus company to make a demo for me, Id rather create my own songs on my pc because I know exactly how they should sound. My songs will only be for personal use though, I dont plan on taking them any further, I simply want to create my own album from the material I have written.

Many thanks.

I've listened to some Demo songs that people have paid big money for, and they were quite good. But I have also heard many songs posted right here by people who recorded their own ideas completely in BIAB and/or Real Band, and I don't think the average listener could tell a difference.

In all fairness, it should be noted that your songwriting ability will also play some role in the quality of your final product. But to answer your original question, the software provides the environment and tools for doing what you want to do.

If you are standing on the edge wondering whether to buy, remember that PGMusic offers a 30 day money back guarantee... so you can try it risk free to see if it meets your songwriting needs, as it has for so many other folks (like me)

Good luck in your song writing endeavors! I look forward to seeing you on the forum posting your new songs for us to hear!

Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/21/10 11:58 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Will the basic Band in the Box do for this? Or do I need all the updates and add ons as well?
Does the basic Band in the Box have all the instruments? Or would I need to buy all the upgrades to get these?

To be honest, the instruments Im looking to use are just the basics - guitar (acoustic, bass, electric), drums, maybe a few others like strings, depending on the song. Are these all included on the basic version?

Sorry for sounding a bit stupid, its just that I havent yet got Band in the Box, I will be receiving it in the next few weeks. So I really am a complete beginner on it.

You don't sound stupid at all. Nearly everybody has the same questions, and they are reasonable questions. But let me refine your thinking, because you are in a new paradigm with this software.

Don't think in terms of "instruments".. think in terms of "styles" Many styles of music contain bass, drums, guitar etc, but the way they are handled is different from style to style. For example Acid rock, jazz and country music all typically have a bass, guitar and drums, but they sound completely different.

The musical elements that make them different are incorporated in the styles. Styles incorporate things like characteristic riffs, tempos, distortion (or lack of it) and much more. Upshot is that the more styles you have the more creative options you have. And creative options are what songwriting is all about.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/22/10 12:27 AM.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am a newbie here and have found all my answers here for a lot less money than anywhere else, and with the support of all the people here, you can't go wrong. My suggestion is to go with the ultrapak, which I did and there is no limits to what you can do. The sound and the possibilities are endless. It may sound goofy but trust me I found out, this is the greatest place to be. The help and support is top notch..........

Critter
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I am a newbie here and have found all my answers here for a lot less money than anywhere else, and with the support of all the people here, you can't go wrong. My suggestion is to go with the ultrapak, which I did and there is no limits to what you can do. The sound and the possibilities are endless. It may sound goofy but trust me I found out, this is the greatest place to be. The help and support is top notch..........

Critter is right.. the people here on the forum are users of the software... and they are the most helpful group of people I've ever seen in any forum environment.

Critter, I'm glad to see that you bought the ultrapak, and that you are happy about the options that provides to you as a songwriter. I look forward to hearing some of your songs!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree that songsmith will be a good tool for the very beginner.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Quote:

Are you sure? I did not see where Songsmith exports MIDI. How would you get a S'Smith song into BiaB?

Apparently, it does. This is from their website:

Quote:

Export to MIDI and toss your MIDI into your favorite host application as a skeleton, just to get started working on a new song. Sometimes the hardest part of getting started on a demo is just getting that skeleton in place, and Songsmith is a great way to do that, even if you don’t keep a single note from the original Songsmith track.

Last edited by DanL; 03/22/10 03:18 PM.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Songs are in the works, Biab for chord input, then to RB for the rest, it is the greatest tool for creating music for the price anywhere...........

Critter
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Apparently, it does. This is from their website:

Quote:

Export to MIDI and toss your MIDI into your favorite host application as a skeleton, just to get started working on a new song. Sometimes the hardest part of getting started on a demo is just getting that skeleton in place, and Songsmith is a great way to do that, even if you don’t keep a single note from the original Songsmith track.

SongSmith is actually built on styles provided by PG Music so it is specifically designed to be able to transport the song into BIAB

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,719
Posts736,455
Members38,554
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM
38,554 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187