Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all,

First of all, my objectives are to basically pump out of BIAB a lead sheet into Sibelius i.e. I just want melody , I know I can't get the chord symbols. However, what BIAB displays in its score view is not what I see in Sibelius. So I guess I need to force the "quantized view" to also be what gets exported i.e. I need Sibelius to score the melody exactly as I see it in BIAB. Now, at this juncture I will gladly take any suggestion i.e. whether something I should do in BIAB prior to exporting or something I could do when importing the midi into Sibelius.

thanks in advance

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro
Monteiro's Fusion site
Veteran
Veteran
When I export from BIAB to Noteworthy Composer, I will generally use the quantize command in BIAB before exporting to MIDI. That generally ensures that I don't end up with lots of weird tied 32nd notes and sporadic 16th and 32nd note rests. I don't have BIAB in front of me right now, but there is a command to quantize. Of course, once you do that, you'll lose the humanization for playback, but the score should look right. I hope I interpreted your question correctly.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I agree with jford.

Toggling the "Clean Notation" in BiaB to OFF can show you what is *really* going on in the notation there.

Lots of bar overlaps, beat overlaps, etc. in order to make a more convincing and human sounding playback happen. But it does not translate to the clean written staff.

I don't know if Sibelius LE version has a cleanup in it or not, you might look to see, though.

--Mac

E
Expert
Expert
E
Hey Charles,

I used to spend hours "cleaning up" the midi files I imported into Finale and Sibelius. Then I saw the light and started to spend just a little more time fixing up the lead sheets in BIAB. Really, when you start to use it and know how to dress it up, %90 of what you need is in BIAB, no need for the other programs. Now, if you need detailed percussion parts and many orchestral parts, then Sibelius is a better choice. But most of time, I'm more than happy with the lead sheet in BIAB.

Ed

Expert
Expert
Quote:

When I export from BIAB to Noteworthy Composer, I will generally use the quantize command in BIAB before exporting to MIDI. That generally ensures that I don't end up with lots of weird tied 32nd notes and sporadic 16th and 32nd note rests. I don't have BIAB in front of me right now, but there is a command to quantize. Of course, once you do that, you'll lose the humanization for playback, but the score should look right. I hope I interpreted your question correctly.

You have made my day. I never knew why I got such weird notation when I imported a midi file into Sibelius. THANK YOU!

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
first of all , thanks. For some weird reason I didn't get notified of your replies even though I did do "add to favorites" , maybe I missed something tho, guess there's a "be notified" as well.

thanks for the cleanup tip, I'll check it out. Obviously, the score view in BIAB is doing some sort of quantize to make the score palatable , so I I wish there was something that meant export like you look i.e. what you see is what you get.

I tried to find that "quantize" option but to no avail, here's proof that I tried :

http://screencast.com/t/Yjk2MjQ4Y

I think that for plain lead sheets , I would be glad to use BIAB to print that. My prob was that I tried adding section marks i.e. Rehearsal letters and could not find a way of placing the Rehearsal letter exactly where I needed it to be i.e. at a specific bar. I figured out how to enter some text annotations but that technique did not seem to apply to Rehearsal letters.

thanks

Charles A. Monteiro
Monteiro's Fusion site
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

...the score view in BIAB is doing some sort of quantize to make the score palatable , so I wish there was something that meant export like you look i.e. what you see is what you get.

Agreed, BiaB notation does a good job of converting and simplifying a melody for a sensible leadsheet. When it exports MIDI, however, it has little choice except to send it out as played. It would be very annoying if it automatically quantized everything. So you quantize it yourself, as needed.

As follows: Along the very top row of menus: MELODY | EDIT MELODY TRACK | QUANTIZE. If the BiaB leadsheet is not appearing quite right in spite of its built in routines, you can try quantizing temporarily in order to straighten it up.

For making leadsheets, nothing much works slicker than BiaB, when the tune is already entered there. Its deficiencies and inabilities are usually not serious for daily work. Stay in BiaB and don't export nothin' to nowhere, unless you just have to. Publishers sometimes demand Finale files, for example.

If you're not happy with stock appearance, almost every aspect is customizable. Once set, a new leadsheet style persists permanently as your house style until you change it.

Larry
______
Expert
Expert
i agree, Larry. Using the BIAB leadsheet saves a bunch of time. You could just quantize, print the leadsheet, and UNDO the quantize, I guess.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Journeyman
Journeyman
I don't believe there's any need to undo anything, Stan. Just shut down without saving the quantized melody.

Actually, I myself almost never actually quantize things anyway, because it seems there's always a way to make it display and print correctly while still sounding good. As everybody agrees, the leadsheet will automatically compensate for quite a lot of timing slack. But quantizing will make many corrections quickly, if your times are super-loose. So it could help.

Larry
______
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hey Charles, Not to interrupt your thread, but I was reading a little on your link site and would like to hear some of your music. Being a guitarist who predominately writes instrumentals that I call, "Confusion" I would love to some original fusion with the guitar on the front line. I also notice you have an Al DiMeola piece. He's quite a player though I still prefer his songs that he used an electric guitar to record with like in the days of Elegant Gyspy Suite.

Thanks,
RickeG

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm afraid that I have been struggling with the packaging of my compositions i.e. developing an interesting structure that fits the type of music that I like which is generally structurally complex. Also some life has gotten in the way schedules and what nots with collaborators that have left basically a bunch of stuff unfinished. Of course, there's always the production but I have enough of a home studio and I do know some cats around these parts.

I'm currently enrolled in Berklee's Online music program , specifically a Professional/Master's certificate in Arranging. I"m hoping that will close the gaps and allow me to bring my music to a satisfactory level of packaging i.e. something which I would like to share.

In the meanwhile maybe I can listen to your "confusion". As far as to ADM, yeah, he does have those two sides i.e. his rock/fusion thing and then the Latin Piazolla influence. I can dig both but sometimes you do have to be in the mood.

Charles A. Monteiro
Monteiro's Fusion site
Veteran
Veteran
Charles,

You can go to: Melody/Edit melody/quantize to help "move" some notes on the melody channel. It will quantize the notes and you can watch it move if you have the piano roll/melody channel open. Same goes for Soloist channel: Soloist/edit soloist/quantize etc . . . You can even try humanize straight/swing and it will also "move" the notes as well.

The Biab style parts should automagically be quantized etc, so I assume you are wanting to clean up the "other" parts of the midi track(s). You can also assign the channel #'s using the .seq button on either Melody or Soloist channels there.

Trax

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,751
Posts737,000
Members38,564
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
djalexgraham, taylor davis, spec96, Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand
38,563 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185