Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Bobby K Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hey guys.

1: I've been concentrating so much on Real Tracks lately, and recording my own audio into BIAB, that I let the midi side of things go by the wayside, as it were. Problem is, at some point I must've made a change in settings, because I'm not seeing any midi activity anywhere in BIAB while I'm playing my external keyboard. No visual indications and no sound from Forte. My midi settings look okay - my UA-25EX interface is selected, and everything works perfectly fine in Sonar - I can control all my VSTi's etc. When I click on the on-screen keyboard in BIAB, I hear sound and see the little green dots on the keys, just not when I'm doing it from my external keyboard. (btw, even when I click on the on-screen keyboard, I'm noticing a huge delay between when I click a key and when I hear the sound. I thought latency just had to do with input from external gear. No?)

2: I had a Real Style loaded and a song created, and I went in and changed the bar settings for the strings and the drums, at one of the later bars in the song. Both were set to Mute at that bar, and then go Back To Normal a few bars later. Well, the Real Drums muted fine, but I'm still hearing the strings. I soloed them just to be certain, and sure enough, even though the bar settings clearly said "Mute", the strings would only mute if I right-clicked the actual strings instrument heading at the top of the BIAB screen (but of course that mutes them for the whole song). I do see that the strings is the only instrument written in yellow letters - all the others are in green. Doesn't that just mean it's not a Real Track? And even so, any idea why it's not muting from within Bar Settings?

3: My audio from my external keyboard sounds fine when I play along with BIAB, but just after I record the audio and play it back, it's out of sync with the "band", playing about 100 ms too *soon*. I discovered how to offset the timing in BIAB, after the fact, but the further problem is, if I then do a punch-in recording (after getting the original recording's timing right), the new take will be off a little bit, and I can't then go adjusting the timing for it too, because that will affect the timing of the *first* recording, which I've got sitting perfect, timing-wise (the offset seems to be a global thing). So I need to find out how to make BIAB get the timing right the first time so this isn't an issue to begin with.

Thanks for any insights. (btw, I'm using ASIO) (Vista 64 bit)...

Bobby K.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
1) Might be the "Route MIDI Thru to...) checkbox in the MIDi Output selection window. With that UNchecked, the keyboard should route to the DXi synth. Some p;eople report that they have to hit the Play button once before the thing works. But then it lasts for the whole session.

2) The MIDI Strings *should* mute at the marked bar, of course. Try the Return to Factory Settings first, which often corrects things like this. It might also be that you've found a new bug, don't know but will try to find time to check it out at this end this evening.

3) Recorded Audio out of sync with BB is usually the result of the Latency settihg with MME sound drivers needing some tweaking ih one direction or the other. This is a matter of experimentation, trial and error until you find the magic number of milliSeconds that works with your particular machine.

--Mac

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

A few other ideas.

1. Where your MIDI thru part is routed, is affected by whether you are using MME or ASIO audio drivers. Pressing a key on the on-screen keyboard as well as playing your external MIDI keyboard are both considered MIDI thru.

If you are using MME drivers and a DXi synth, the MIDI thru part will be routed either to the DXi synth or the "MIDI driver" (selected MIDI Output Driver), depending on if you have that box checked in the MIDI Driver Setup. However note that when the song playback is stopped, it is always routed to the MIDI driver. If you have the Microsoft GS Wavetable selected, there is around 100-200 ms of latency associated with that synth (depending on the OS), so there will be a delay between when you play the note and when you hear it.

If you are using ASIO drivers and a DXi synth, the MIDI thru part will always be routed to the DXi synth while the song is playing, but will be routed to the "MIDI driver" while the song is stopped, unless you have the ASIO Always On checkbox checked in the ASIO Audio Drivers dialog. You may need to press Play once at the start of your session to turn ASIO on.

The other consideration, if you are using the ForteDXi, is that you will want to set your Thru part instrument to something OTHER than "no patch change".

2. Are there any other bar settings (any other bars with a red outline)? For example, maybe there is a style change which is causing it to get unmuted, or another volume change that you aren't aware of. As a test, you could SAVE your song AS (a test version) and try clicking the Reset all bars button in the Bar Settings dialog, then re-set your bar volume change and see if the problem still happens. Also, make sure you have the correct chorus selected "settings apply to chorus number"...

3. If you are using ASIO, it doesn't seem like you should be having this problem. What driver latency is set in the ASIO driver's control panel. What ASIO driver are you using? You might try the ASIO4ALL driver (which you can get for free) to see if the same thing happens with that....

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
Bobby K Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
1: Thanks guys. It's really strange - today I opened up a new BIAB session, and, after confirming that the midi problem I detailed in my initial post was still afflicting my project, I went into 'MIDI/Audio driver setup' and looked over what everything was set to, and then simply clicked "OK" without making any changes whatsoever, and voila!, I immediately began hearing my midi synth (Forte) again, when playing from my external controller, and there's no latency when I click the on-screen keyboard now. Amazing, I did absolutely nothing but click 'OK' on my existing settings. Maybe BIAB just likes to be reaffirmed sometimes(?)

2: On the strings patch not muting, I tried resetting all bars and then re-doing the bar mute, but the problem persisted. I would also click on 'Play' instead of 'Replay', to try to give BIAB the idea that I wanted it to give the thing a fresh start. Still no joy. So I chose another style and... suddenly it started muting fine at the correct bar. So I switched back to the "problem" style, and said a little prayer. Voila! again! It now mutes correctly. So happy. I don't understand it but I'm happy. (btw, this bar muting problem never did occur when starting a new song - it seems to have been confined to just that one project, so I guess something about it was just messed up...)

3: As for the out-of-sync recorded audio track, I've always had 'ASIO Always On' checked, and I'm wary about changing the audio driver since I had a heck of a time trying to get rid of error messages when I messed with it a couple years ago or so. Granted, it was an older version of BIAB - maybe it's not so touchy now. But back to the ASIO thing - I've got the buffer set pretty high (the ASIO window just shows "maximum" and "minimum" - no actual milliseconds - and mine is set to just under max, probably because I was having problems with Omnisphere last year...). Maybe I should back off the big buffer now. But what I don't get is why my recorded audio plays almost a full beat too SOON. When I think of latency, I think of things "lagging behind" and playing too LATE. Could it be that my audio is playing correctly but the rest of the "band" is playing late? Whichever it turns out to be, I should mention, I didn't have this problem before updating to 2010.5, if that gives anyone a clue about what might be happening.

Anyway, so that's my one remaining issue at this point. Thanks again for the feedback, and for anything further.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Your sound device's ASIO window may show only Max and Min, but the BiaB Latency window should automatically report the selected time in mS. But here's the drill -- when you first change the soundcard's buffer settings, the number reported in the MIDI/Audio Output window in BiaB will NOT reflect the new setting. You have to Close that window by clicking on Okay and then Re-open that window to let it "get" the buffer setting from the soundcard and display the mS figure properly.

Sounds like you are getting things done, that's great!

--Mac

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

Quote:

But what I don't get is why my recorded audio plays almost a full beat too SOON.

That would be the case if you set the offset in ms to a positive value after you recorded your audio track. If you didn't change that setting after you recorded it, I'm not sure what's going on there.

What does BB say the latency is if you go into the Band-in-a-Box Audio Drivers window? What synth are you using for MIDI playback? Do you have a file called AsstSettings.ini in your main bb folder?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
Bobby K Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

That would be the case if you set the offset in ms to a positive value after you recorded your audio track. If you didn't change that setting after you recorded it, I'm not sure what's going on there.

No, I never messed with that setting until after the sync issue started, in an effort to offset or compensate for it..

Quote:

What does BB say the latency is if you go into the Band-in-a-Box Audio Drivers window? What synth are you using for MIDI playback? Do you have a file called AsstSettings.ini in your main bb folder?

Latency is listed at "39", with my current max buffer setting in ASIO. I'm using ForteDXi, and I'm not seeing any "AsstSettings.ini" (or any other ini files actually) in my main bb folder. But really, like I said, I'm no longer experiencing extreme latency when actually playing the midi instruments (live from a controller or with the onscreen keyboard) - rather, it's the sync between the recorded audio and the rest of the "band" (both RealTracks and midi) when playing back the song, post-recording. Thanks.

- Bobby K.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What is your exact build of BB (Help | About)?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
Bobby K Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hey, quick reply there! (You posted while I was editing my last post, so you might want to re-read its last paragraph, as it's changed a little.)

The build is 2010.5 (303).

Thanks.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Bobby,

I'm not sure what could be causing that. A couple of suggestions - there is a command 'Audio | Edit Audio | Timeshift' that may be helpful to you. Otherwise, perhaps the best solution is to move into RealBand when you want to do the audio recording.

If you still want to play the song in Band-in-a-Box after recording your audio track(s), you could even do this, by saving the RealBand track(s) as a wave file, naming it the same as your Band-in-a-Box song, and placing it in the same folder. Then Band-in-a-Box will consider this wave file to be the audio track.

Once you get the hang of audio recording in RealBand, you'll find it much easier and much more flexible than Band-in-a-Box, partly because you have multiple tracks to work with.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
Bobby K Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Perhaps, but darnit, I had BIAB recording audio just fine, as recently as a month or so ago. No sync issues whatsoever, no need for Timeshift...

Btw, I'm wondering whether my lack of an "AsstSettings.ini" file in my bb folder means anything. Should I have one?

Maybe if I try the same recording procedure in RealBand, and have no sync problems, I can think about doing a full factory reset of BIAB or something.

Bobby K.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

It is ok if you don't have that file. It can be used to adjust settings for some soft synths. I thought you might have experimented with it.

You can still do a complete reinstall of the main Band-in-a-Box program without affecting your existing installation. Just leave your existing one alone, and install the program to a folder like C:\bbTEST. This only takes a couple minutes. Then, run it from that folder and see if you still have the same problem with the new install. Note that it won't find your RealTracks, but since your problem doesn't seem to be related to RealTracks specifically it doesn't matter, since you are just testing to see what happens. If all is good with BBTEST (no sync problems), then install the latest patch and test again.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,686
Posts735,964
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 179