Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I have plenty of space on my desktop PC, but limited space on my laptop, and I work with a colleague who brings his laptop to gigs, but doesn't have all the RealTracks that I have.

I've tried inspecting the C:\BB\RealTracks folders, but there doesn't seem to be a way of working out from the folder names or the file names which set they've come from, and particularly whether the whole set has been installed. I sometimes have to delete RealTracks to make space, and it's hard to know which ones to delete.

I thought I might find out what had been installed through Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs, but the RealTracks don't seem to have been installed in the sense that programs are installed, and there is no reference to them in the list of programs that can be uninstalled.

My colleague and I collaborate on arrangements of songs, and exchange completed versions.

What I'd like to have is:

a) A tool which could say quickly which RealTracks are available on a computer

b) A tool which could check a BIAB song file, and say what RealTracks are needed to play it back

c) A tool which could check a BIAB song file, or a folder of BIAB song files, and report on whether any of the files can't be played back on the computer they're currently stored on, or to list all of the songs with a pass/fail comment.

Of course, what we'd really like is

(d) for each of us to be able to check songs we've arranged on BIAB to be sure that they'll work on his colleague's computer before e-mailing them, and avoid the need for the recipient to load them up and listen to them all the way through.

B
B
g'day Lady,

I am brand new here, but a) can be found on the Help menu under:

"RealTracks sets in C:\bb\RealTracks\ "

HTH -- B

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello foxylady,

The RealTracks Picker window has all the information you need to determine which RealTracks you have installed. Check the box at the bottom left-hand side of the window "Show RealTracks that are N/A". This will list all available RealTracks, with the ones you don't have showing up with N/A. There are alot of ways to get additional information - for example, you can sort by RealTracks Set number by clicking at the top of that column, and quickly see which sets you don't have, or you can sort by N/A. You can also use the filter (bottom of the window) to only show RealTracks that meet certain criteria, such as "piano pop ev" to show all the even feel Pop Piano styles.

The RealTracks Picker window will also show you at a glance which RealTracks are assigned to all of the tracks in your song, and whether they are assigned in the song or embedded in the style.

There is way you can find out if any of the songs in your folder are missing RealTracks... To do this, use the Song Picker window (press the Song button). Rebuild the song list, and then look under the [ - ] column. If there is a - (hyphen), that means the song is missing it's .STY file (Band-in-a-Box will try to substitute a similar .STY in this case). If there is a d, that means the song is missing RealDrums. If there is a t, that means the song is missing RealTracks.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
Quote:

g'day Lady,

I am brand new here, but a) can be found on the Help menu under:

"RealTracks sets in C:\bb\RealTracks\ "

HTH -- B

Sorry, ain't no Lady, but what's in a name?

I've tried searching the help index for "RealTracks sets in C:\bb\RealTracks\ ", but can't find this anywhere.

You'll see from Andrew's post that my problems have been pretty much solved - thanks anyway!

Foxy.

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
Thanks, Andrew. That solves a), b) and c), but doesn't deal with the one I knew was going to be difficult, namely d)!

When my colleague and I exchange files, I think we should put the newly received songs into a probationary directory and run the song picker over them by clicking "Rebuild List" to ensure that all the RealTracks etc are available. We're then less likely to get caught out on a gig when we've rehearsed a song with one computer, and are playing it back on a gig on another one.

Foxy

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Rebuild List won't add any Realtracks that are not already installed and just adding some songfiles won't install them.

Why not use one USB hard drive with everything needed for the gig on it, which could be run from either person's laptop?

--Mac

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
Quote:

Rebuild List won't add any Realtracks that are not already installed and just adding some songfiles won't install them.

Agreed - I wanted to identify problem songs before they had an opportunity to catch us out on a gig.

Quote:

Why not use one USB hard drive with everything needed for the gig on it, which could be run from either person's laptop?

That sounds like an excellent plan, but we still need independent BIAB installations for individual practice and for gigs and rehearsals with different musicians. If we keep only tried-and-tested songs on the common USB drive, we could arrange songs on our individual PCs and keep them in quarantine until they're gig-ready, when we'd transfer them to the USB drive.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, probably the best way is just to have the recipient copy the songs into a folder, then view a song list for that folder to determine if they are missing any RealTracks. They could also send you a list of all the RealTracks Sets they have, to use as a guideline - that information can be obtained from the What Add-ons do I have window. Another tip is to use the Jukebox - run it through the song folder, and have it set to switch to the next song after 1 bar, and not loop at end. If you have the patience to sit through the whole thing, it is a good way to help confirm there won't be problems.

Alternatively, the recipient could print you out a list of all the RealTracks folders they have, and you could use that list as a guideline. One way to do generate a list of the RealTracks subfolders is by typing this into a command window:

dir /b /a:d > RealTracks_Folder_List.txt

To open a command window, go to the Start menu, select Run, and type cmd. Or if you have Windows Vista/Seven, go to Start menu and type cmd in the search box. Then, navigate to your RealTracks folder. To do this, first switch to the appropriate hard drive, by typing, for example G: <enter>. Then type cd followed by the path, or drag the folder into the cmd window. Then, type the command above. Dir means that it will show a directory list for the current folder. /b means it will only list the folder names with no other information. /a:d means that it will only list directories and omit files. > RealTracks_Folder_List.txt means that it will output the data to a txt file, which you'll then find in your RealTracks folder. You can email that file, or copy and paste the contents to an email. Anyhow, that is one way to do it.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
A couple of excellent ideas here. It obviously helps to know the software inside out - I'd never have thought of using the Juke Box in this way. I'm writing this as I wait for the Juke Box to play the third or fourth song - this one only has RealDrums in it, no other RealTracks, and I've been watching the hour-glass for more than five minutes...

The listing of RealTracks directories is comprehensive, but this makes comparison with a colleague's installation more difficult. I was hoping to be able to list just the RealTracks sets that are installed on each computer.

After another five minutes, there's still an hour-glass and the Juke-Box has stalled, so there's obviously something wrong here. I'll report it as a problem if I can reproduce it.

Many thanks for your help, Andrew.

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
PS This problem with the Juke-Box is consistent - I've run it on the same songlist three times, and each time BIAB hangs on the 8th song. There's no error message, and on one occasion there was a Windows hour-glass and on the other two just the usual mouse cursor. Clicking the "X" button to close the program got me a "program is not responding" message. I thought there might be a forum slot for reporting "undocumented features", but I couldn't find it - moderator please forward appropriately.

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
PPS I've tried the Juke-Box trick described above on my laptop, and BIAB hangs on the eight song again, but this time it plays the whole song first. Various odd things happened to my desktop after my Juke-Box runs - I opened a document with Open Office Writer, and it behaved strangely, with lower case "s" replaced by a newline, and when I plugged in my iPod I was informed that iTunes was missing essential files and that I'd have to reinstall it.

The lower case "s" problem disappeared after a reboot, but iTunes still complained.

I'm concerned that there is a rather nasty bug lurking in BIAB, which causes it to overwrite system information in some way.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
This is the forum for reporting such things.

First thing to do is *start a new thread* for just this problem.

It is also best to provide us with a step-by-step that includes as much info as possible.

For example, my first thought was, "is the jukebox set for straight-thru song playing or is it set for Random?" - straight thru would point to the same songfile every time, which might be corrupted or have some other problem.

Also make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest Update Patch, for this problem sounds like something that was solved already.

If neither of those does the trick, start that new thread.

--Mac

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I'm using:

Version 2010.5 (304)

As far as I can see, this is the latest Update Patch, so I do seem to have a problem.

New thread coming up!

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Okay, ignore what I just asked on the other thread you started - and please contain stuff about this jukebox problem to that thread.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,771
Posts737,195
Members38,578
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Nickolas, philou33, Elvis Nash, randy gollard, palasound
38,578 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191