Print Thread
Go To
#109295 03/24/11 08:50 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
jhg Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
The feature I looked forward to the most in BIAB 2011 was "auto-replace midi styles with realtracks styles when songs loaded" which I have clicked on in realtracks settings. In the style dialog, there are only a few choices in the "sub" column, mostly from style disk 0. Are there more realtracks substitutions coming in a future update? Has anyone made their own subs?

--- Jim

R
Expert
Expert
R
You can easily define your own. Check out THIS post.

The file you want is RealTracksSubs.txt in the BB directory.

R

Veteran
Veteran
During beta testing of this feature, it was mentioned that, yes, more are planned. If this is important to you, you could add a reminder in the Styles Wishlist.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
jhg,

You can also use the style filter to substitute midi styles. First, click on the original midi style so that it is highlited. Then click on the "prototype" button to make that style your selected style for the search filter. Then set up your search filter parameters by selecting "if feel and tempo match" after clicking the "filter" button at the top of the style list. Once you have that set up, go to "show midi or real styles" and make that "real styles only."

Those functions of the style filter will now list, if any, real styles that match the original "prototype" selected style. Once it has filtered the style list, click on the left hand side "show all" styles at the top. It should now list all of the styles from every genre in the left hand side column.

Trax

jhg Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Trax:

Thanks, I'll use that method until I can take the time to build a realstyle sub list. It's just nice when you're browsing through several midi demo songs that the realdrums are chosen for you if you have the substitute feature turned on. I'll have to make a long realstyle sub list to get a similar convenience with realstyles.

---- Jim

Veteran
Veteran
One last thing: You can write notes in the "memo" box on the main page of Biab. I use that to keep track of which Real Track I like for that particular song. Example: RT #1008 (Bass), RD # NashDblbak etc . . . when substituting Real Tracks in and out.

You can use that method as well, memo box notes, to make Hybrid Midi Styles with. It is an easier way to keep track of which track(s) that work well together.

Trax

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
This was excerpted from the BIAB Yahoo users group, concerning changing styles. (see below)

>I'm having an issue changing styles within a song. I followed the help based
>instructions, and I was able to do it on occasion, but sometimes it would not
>change to the newly selected style???

>I realize using the F5 key to “Edit Settings for Current Bar” you can select
>a new style, and you can “Clear the STY,” but when I did that, the newer
>style after inputting, sometimes, would not play, even when the bar/measure
>was reset???

>Shouldn’t there be an easier way of doing this by just right clicking the
>measure and deleting that style or other undesirable info, other than the method
>previously described above? Or is there a better way of ensuring the changes
>will play as selected or programmed?

Is there a fix for the inconsistency in clearing and resetting a selected style
in mid song? Are there bugs in this feature that prohibit it from working as
indicated in the help section?

For a more in-depth explanation and the responses, please refer to the
Yahoo users group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/messages?o=1&yguid=124262885]

Still, Wrkinit

Last edited by Wrkit; 03/27/11 05:19 AM.
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Wrkit, You say sometimes the new style will not play. If you mean that tracks are silent (as opposed to the old style just keeps playing instead of the new style), then I think I know what you did. A particular track can only be MIDI or Real Tracks, not both. If you are mixing the two on a track then the MIDI part won't play.

Clif gave a good reply about what the Clear .STY button does -- it erases changes to the style that you made at that particular bar.

Jim

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
Thanks for replying SaxmanJim. I belive Clif addressed the issue, somewhat, but it
still leaves the question why the insert style feature doesn't always take initially?
The *midi* tracks will often play the original style all the way thru instead of the
newer or inserted ones.

Again, the response as to why the modification requires several erasures to get it right
is the real problem. As I see it! Possibly, the repeat choruses cause that function to
react differently with each pass? Maybe it's a bug? I use version 2007.5 and 2009.5. Has
that been addressed in the more current or recent versions?

Many Bright Moments!
Still, Wrkinit

Last edited by Wrkit; 03/27/11 09:05 AM.
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Wrkinit, you should not have to use the clear styles button in order to change styles at a bar. I have tried to reproduce your problem on BiaB 2011, and was not able to. I added styles one-at-a-time and played through the song to make sure I heard the difference each time in each chorus. It worked fine with 5 styles and 3 choruses. I also succeeded in testing clearing several of the styles changes I made, and the changes were heard consistently in each chorus. All I can say is that it works for me in BiaB 2011.

Other thoughts:
Are you stopping the playback and using the play button to make sure that the new styles get generated? I think I remember changing styles once and the new style not taking effect until I did that. (But usually it takes effect right away.)

If you are using repeats, dal Segno, or da Capo instead of just BiaB choruses then a change in one chorus does not get copied to the other choruses. If you are only using the usual BiaB choruses then changes in style or chords in one chorus do get copied to the other choruses. (Melodies, however, can be different in each chorus.)

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
Maybe it's the versions I have and not an issue in the newer ones? I have gotten it to work,
but as I mentioned, it is problematic, at times. I'm not sure what causes it to not recognize
the newer or inserted style changes, when stopped and started with the play button? Often it
would play thru without the changes until I revisited the selected bar/measures where they
occurred.

Interesting development, as I am posting this reply I tried to duplicate the problem and every
instance of style change I made worked flawlessly? Go figure? Maybe it's my computer system
that's acting erratic and not the program?

However, it would be nice if pgmusic would devote some more attention to the midi aspects of
BIAB and revise how somethings work, case in point, right clicking on the desired measures and
having the option to delete or change/edit *all* the data that resides there...I did notice
some options exist by doing that, but not enough of them.

FWIW, I guess updating/upgrading to the latest version might be the way to go, but those on
a budget, that don't need all the current audio enhancements, should warrant support for the
other aspects of BIAB, that are more midi based, too. Ya think?

Still,
Wrkinit

Last edited by Wrkit; 03/27/11 01:23 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

This was excerpted from the BIAB Yahoo users group, concerning changing styles. (see below)

>I'm having an issue changing styles within a song. I followed the help based
>instructions, and I was able to do it on occasion, but sometimes it would not
>change to the newly selected style???

>I realize using the F5 key to “Edit Settings for Current Bar” you can select
>a new style, and you can “Clear the STY,” but when I did that, the newer
>style after inputting, sometimes, would not play, even when the bar/measure
>was reset???

>Shouldn’t there be an easier way of doing this by just right clicking the
>measure and deleting that style or other undesirable info, other than the method
>previously described above? Or is there a better way of ensuring the changes
>will play as selected or programmed?

Is there a fix for the inconsistency in clearing and resetting a selected style
in mid song? Are there bugs in this feature that prohibit it from working as
indicated in the help section?

For a more in-depth explanation and the responses, please refer to the
Yahoo users group:

]http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/messages?o=1&yguid=124262885]

Still, Wrkinit

I was messing with a song yesterday using a Real Style. I changed from a Bossa EV to a Jazz SW using F5 and it worked very well. I have the latest version of Biab here. In fact, I tried the F5 with several different Swing Real Styles and each one generated and played back correctly. I used the "Unfold" song option and placed them at the desired bar(s). I don't know if unfolding had anything to do with it, but it worked each time I pressed the play button.

Trax

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,640
Posts735,355
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.