Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Just got a ketron sd2 from PG music yesterday. Everything played fine yesterday. Today I turn on the computer and the ketron sd2 and all was OK until I noticed that any BIAB song with soloist (radio button) was not playing the instrument that was listed. No setting were changed. Upon picking another BIAB song in style 19 I heard acomplete mish mosh of patches playing simultaneously. I have the SD2 PAT. file installed and can get to the higher banks. I'm running 2009.5. XP pro SP3. I reset to factory spec. did not work. turned the ketron on and off. did not work. Rebooted computer and again on and off with the ketron. Selected the Ketron SD2 PAT and playback is OK except the Solo instruments still play incorrect patches. Deleted the SD2 patch and reinstalled. Still no luck. Any ideas before I do a complete reinstall as PG music suggested

Expert
Expert
I may be off base here, but did you check to see if the patches were changed with the sd2 turned off? (using a soft synth instead?) Did you try setting the patches from the drop down menu using the green SEQ button? I used to get upset when the patches would change, but then remembered that some patches were changed by the Style when I hit play again. This was before they had the Freeze button. I have an sd2 also. I've never had any issues with the sd2 itself. There are others on here who are way more knowing about this stuff than me though. HTH

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Let me give you an example. Choosing style 19 Always there 3Git_16 When I press the soloist radio button instrument shows piano 1/2 preset grand piano yet during the solo I hear an electric piano rhodes sound. I can manually select a different instrument using the + button. This only is evident with the soloist or songs with solos in them. All other instruments seem to play as selected and listed above the instrument scroll down box. If I select a soloist patch that patch stays on other songs witin that folder. All other instruments change when I select a different song??? Any help appreciated

Last edited by bluzkeez1; 05/05/11 06:08 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Well 2009.5 was the version that was supposed to have fixed the issue with patches. Do you have all updates to 2009.5? Is getting 2011 out of the question? I know 2009.5 still had some issues with upper banks BUT I think it was only on the through channel. If you're happy with 2009.5 RDs & RTs you may be able to just update the program.Looks like $79 will do it.

Last edited by silvertones; 05/06/11 04:45 AM.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Let me give you an example. Choosing style 19 Always there 3Git_16 When I press the soloist radio button instrument shows piano 1/2 preset grand piano yet during the solo I hear an electric piano rhodes sound. I can manually select a different instrument using the + button. This only is evident with the soloist or songs with solos in them. All other instruments seem to play as selected and listed above the instrument scroll down box. If I select a soloist patch that patch stays on other songs witin that folder. All other instruments change when I select a different song??? Any help appreciated

Hmm, I would have to say that this must be some setting inside your BiaB Prefs. Meaning I doubt that it is a problem with the SD2. I'd be checking Prefs -> Arrangement first, but have never seen this action before so that's just a starting point. I do recall a setting that keeps the same soloist throughout a session, maybe take a had look in the Soloist menu as well.

TIP: When searching out the cause of a problem such as this one, good idea to change only ONE thing at a time when dealing with Prefs and menu items such as these, then test the program. If no joy, first put whatever you just changed back the way it was before trying another setting or the likes. This can avoid a really compounded set of problems.

--Mac

B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks Mac. Have no idea while it only affects soloist instuments. I'll check later when home from work. A little frustrated as I read quite a few reviews that were all favorable and specifically asked PG music if the SD2 would operate well with 2009.5 build 288. In resonse to Silvertones post-- I have the Everything Pak which will run quite a bit more. It's a shame because the SD2 sounds great. If I can get this worked out I'll be happy with the purchase-- if not I'll probably return the module. I'm going to contact support again and see if there is any fix other than a complete reinstall. I feel if there was a possible known problem with 2009.5 and the Ketron I wish I would have been informed by PG before the purchase. I'll poke around preferences and thanks again Mac for the starting point of my concern, and I'll take your advise about changing things one at a time.
Andy

Expert
Expert
".....This only is evident with the soloist or songs with solos in them. All other instruments seem to play as selected and listed above the instrument scroll down box. If I select a soloist patch that patch stays on other songs witin that folder. All other instruments change when I select a different song??? Any help appreciated "

Did you check to see if the results are the same using a soft synth? If they are, the problem is not with the sd2. It it's a midi style, you can delete the program change to the elec piano via the Events List. Remember that the song regenerates when you hit play each time. FWIW

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
When I use the DXI softsynth all plays as it should and instruments in the DXI window play as displayed. This only occurs when I'm using the SD2 and only on the soloist track. Again I can manually choose any instrument through the + higher bank Pat list, however that patch will stay as the soloist instrument for any other songs that I select within that particular style folder. I'm leary to reinstall 2009 Everything Pak and do all the updates to get to my current 2009.5 build 88 if I'm going to have the same problem. On the other hand I'm not crazy about forking over another $300.00 dollars to get the latest BIAB if the Ketron SD2 might be the problem. All of your help is appreciated but unfortunately this experience has not been simply plug and play. I will explore some preference settings hoping to stumble on something that was or was not checked properly. If anyone from PG music is watching, your help would be greatly appreciated as well.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Install Band-in-a-Box to a new folder, such as C:\bb_test. To do this, you don't need to remove anything first, you won't be installing any RealTracks, and you will simply use whatever Band-in-a-Box 2009 installer you have (if it's the hard drive version, choose the option to only install Band-in-a-Box). This should take a couple minutes to complete.

Next, download and install the build 288 update from:
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#288

Make sure to install it to the same C:\bb_test folder, and select the option to Launch Band-in-a-Box.

Now you'll be running a fresh install of Band-in-a-Box 2009.5 with the latest update, and you can test to see if you have the same problem. Then we can go from there.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks Andrew, I will try this ASAP and let you know the outcome. Probably will be Monday or Tuesday. Is there a way of reaching you directly?

Last edited by bluzkeez1; 05/06/11 03:28 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I used my Ketron SD2 with your version of BB for the entire year, no real problems found.

Sometimes setup of a new MIDI solution takes a bit of experimentation, tweaking and learning curve, well worth the effort though, IMO. Stick with it, with the kind of help you get around here and via the Support email or phonelines, you should be able to get it up and running right. BTW the phone support is a great way to get to the bottom of this sort of thing, if you have your BB computer set up next to you when you call them. They can ofen walk you through to joy.

--Mac

B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Mac, I plan on sticking with this until solution is met. I'll follow Andrew's instructions about running a test install. Used BIAB last night and I noticed that for the most part Ketron SD2 played well. I still have the soloist problems as stated above, but I found this evident in certain song folders. Strange that when I selected some of the folders in the 70's # (with soloist) range all instruments played back properly (even the soloist).
Why in some and not others is beyond me at this point. I'm sure that this will work out in the end. Thanks for your help

B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I reinstalled BIAB in a test folder with the latest update (2009.5 build 288) as Andrew suggested. I'm getting the same results. However I might have found a work around. Again when I choose any song with a soloist in a paticular styles folder all instruments other than soloist play back as displayed at the top of the screen. When I look at the memo for a song usually it displays a SAVED soloist patch and an EMBEDDED solist patch for that song. When I go to the S solist button on the tool bar and open the instrument displayed is usually what I hear, although it does not display properly at the top of the screen until I push the OK button while in the soloist drop down screen. This only occurs when I use an external midi divice like the Ketron SD2 or my Yamaha S-90.
Dxi synth plays as displayed in the DXI drop down menu. When I change to a different song within the same styles folder the soloist instrument that is displayed sticks to the previous song setting. All other instruments change and play properly. I guess I could do this for each song although I'm a little surprised that the soloist patch doesn't seem to change unless I do the above or change the patch using the + button. I assumed the soloist would change like all the other instruments and be displayed properly when I go from song to song. Is there a setting I'm missing??

L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
Quote:

I reinstalled BIAB in a test folder with the latest update (2009.5 build 288) as Andrew suggested. I'm getting the same results. However I might have found a work around. Again when I choose any song with a soloist in a paticular styles folder all instruments other than soloist play back as displayed at the top of the screen. When I look at the memo for a song usually it displays a SAVED soloist patch and an EMBEDDED solist patch for that song. When I go to the S solist button on the tool bar and open the instrument displayed is usually what I hear, although it does not display properly at the top of the screen until I push the OK button while in the soloist drop down screen. This only occurs when I use an external midi divice like the Ketron SD2 or my Yamaha S-90.
Dxi synth plays as displayed in the DXI drop down menu. When I change to a different song within the same styles folder the soloist instrument that is displayed sticks to the previous song setting. All other instruments change and play properly. I guess I could do this for each song although I'm a little surprised that the soloist patch doesn't seem to change unless I do the above or change the patch using the + button. I assumed the soloist would change like all the other instruments and be displayed properly when I go from song to song. Is there a setting I'm missing??

I'm having exactly the same problem with a JV-1080 hardware sound module (see earlier JV-1080 thread). Patches for melody, soloist don't change to the file settings. Some are my own creations and were "saved with patches", some are Biab "factory" files.

Andrew responded to the earlier thread that my "example factory file" had no "saved" melody patch. The song memo reads "saved patch" but it isn't. Answer: Rename file, save file and then THAT chosen patch is saved. (see Andrew's complete explanation in JV-1080 thread)

My own saved songs were saved with patches on earlier builds (pre-Biab 2011). I don't get why they don't open in BB 2011 with the saved patches. I've just been "re-saving" them again. Works sometimes, sometimes not.

If there is a setting we're missing, either in BB or the outboard sound module, +1 here to learn about it.

Veteran
Veteran
I have a JV1010 from Roland and an SD2.

Both have always worked fine, soloist and all.

I now use the soloist channel in most instances to embed changes to a harmonizer. However that project has been on hold as the chemo treatments got my golden pipes and I can no longer sing. I'm trying various horns with harmonies in lieu, and the wife's flute, however I can still say, that running and testing biab for many years, I have had no issues like this.

In this case, I will state that there is a problem with your setup or understanding of something. The fact remains, and I have stated it many times, that Band in a Box is a complex piece of software, and like a language or subject, if it could be used and understood in a few hours, it would be useless in the same time frame as the learning curve.

The main frustration most face is the learning curve and the nomenclature. There are terminologies, applications, histories, and other factors that weigh in. Stick with it. If I, with my feeble understanding of stuff like women and computers, have mastered how to use one and not cross the other, then anyone can potentially copy my example.

As we say, bonne chance.

I'm glad you have not come for aid in the understanding of women. When chemo left me profoundly deaf I said to the docs after getting hearing aids (which sort of work), I can now almost hear women, but as before, they have not increased my ability to understand them. I just continue to buy them stuff and make meals. That sort of works.

John Conley
Musica est vita
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
Quote:

I have a JV1010 from Roland and an SD2. Both have always worked fine, soloist and all.

Hi John. Are you you using just the GM Mode or a Performance Mode?
Are you successfully accessing higher patch banks with Biab and the SD2/JV1010?
Do you have an expansion card in your JV1010 and can you access those higher patches with Biab?

In my experience, the GM Mode seems to work ok with Biab and my JV-1080's.
However, no upper bank patches are available in GM Mode. Only the 128 GM patches.

In Performance Mode, the JV can access another ~1000 patches. However, in Performance Mode, I'm experiencing inconsistent loading of some patches (most notably soloist, melodist) when opening a new file. Like bluzkeez1 with his SD2.

Quote:

there is a problem with your setup or understanding of something

That's what we're trying to learn. Any clues will be appreciated.

Veteran
Veteran
At the moment the Ketron is the band in a box midi solution and yes all the banks are available. I have lobbied Peter to put the Ketron SD2 into the software as they sell it, rather than have to download and install it then select it. However, the JV1010 was my go to box before Mac made me buy the SD2, and now that the REaltracks have matured I'm sort of 90 percent running them over any midi solution.

In some versions of Band in a Box we had better luck saving while the song was playing, as weird as that seems.

Note that some songs you glean or get from PG music as demos have patch changes embedded in them. There are also settings to globally allow or not allow patch changes, and you need to go into options and make sure what is there does what you want.

Once you get a setup it can be frustration all over again when you get the next computer. Back to square one trying to remember how you did the setup 3 years ago. Nice.

There almost ought to be a 'this is my total setup' script file where you take it when you migrate to a newer version on a faster machine with another o/s.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, and watch your part markers, you can highlight any bar that appears to have a patch change, press F5 and sort it out.

John Conley
Musica est vita
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
John, thanks for those tips. I'll go through and check those global settings....

Quote:

Once you get a setup it can be frustration all over again when you get the next computer. Back to square one trying to remember how you did the setup 3 years ago. Nice.

There almost ought to be a 'this is my total setup' script file where you take it when you migrate to a newer version on a faster machine with another o/s.

.....no doubt, that's part of my issue. (Plus adding new-to-me outboard sound modules. Had soft-synths config/use down.) I recently changed OS to Windows 7 with a fresh install of BB 2011. No, I can't remember all those settings made way back when for BB in Windows XP, either. Yes, a "setup" script file, portable from one OS or machine to the next, would be very convenient. Good luck with that.

Thanks again.

Veteran
Veteran
If there is one thing PG music is good at it's that very thing. I'm sure it gets put on a list and the thing will get due consideration based on the complexity.

I have settings for stuff I have somewhat stored in the grey matter, but the 'fog' of chemo and age are catching up to me. I even have to think about how to spell stuff like parathesia which used to roll off my 120 wpm typist fingers. Eh bien, or as I heard after every sentance in Scotland, ach aye.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,519
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173