Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Hi,

Is there an ongoing errata list, page, or thread for bugs and errors anywhere please? I don’t mean a general FAQ, but a current list of known but as yet unfixed bug, errors, etc.

I gather that BiaB for Mac 2011 is pretty new so, as with any software, some glitches are to be expected. That's OK. No rant from me on that score, I've been on both sides of that fence.

I’ve only had BiaB for a couple of weeks but I’ve already found a bug in the program (confirmed by support), a faulty link in the code, and a number of errors in the manual. Being completely new to BiaB, it’s not always initially obvious whether an apparent malfunction is due to User Error, a patchy installation, a mistake in the instructions, or a bug in the program. So it can be somewhat frustrating and time wasting to have to work through each new issue on your own. It would be a great help to be able to refer to an ongoing list of errata and known issues that are due to be corrected in later versions. I’m sure that it would also help other users to be able to benefit from any discoveries that I might make.

Obviously, I can work through these things with the support crew (and have already done that in cases where the fault was clearly with BiaB not me) but if the customers are to act as testers then it seems reasonable that we should all get the benefit from it. Lists of currently known issues not only save customers time and frustration but also reduce the need for staff to keep responding to the same problems. It seems to work well elsewhere, but I can’t find anything here.

Is there such a list anywhere, please?

Thanks,

Chris

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I can say that since having BIAB 2011 ver. 26 I have had more crashes in the last 2 months
than in maybe the last 15 YEARS! I am sure it can be attributed to the new version and I
simply re-start BIAB and find a work around. BUT, If I were a gigging musician would
be very concerned. I have not documented the problems but there is absolutely more
problems with this version than I have experienced in the past.
I am willing to be patient and hope these problems eventually get corrected.

Ernie

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

BUT, If I were a gigging musician would
be very concerned.

Well... i am

Macbook pro quad core 2,5 gHz 16 GB ram | OSX 10.15.7 | BinaB 2022 | Logic Studio X | A beautiful Giant race bike.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Chris
There isn't a Doc or other collection of known bugs/issues. This forum is a good source of info for seeing what types of issues people are seeing currently. In general, software issues are less frequent these days, perhaps due to better computers, more RAM etc.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Quote:

. This forum is a good source of info for seeing what types of issues people are seeing currently.

Thanks for the reply Peter,

I'll just collate all the problems that I've come across so far into one thread then, and invite other users to either add their own confirmed or suspected bugs and errors (or point out if I'm wrong! ). If it's done in a polite and orderly way it should be useful reference, both for other users and for PGmusic support.

I have over 25 years of working with computers so I can generally figure most things out. But I'm also completely new to BiaB, so if there a genuine bug it's not always easy to be certain that the problem isn't being caused by something else - such as a user error, a conflict or problem with the computer itself, or by a patchy installation. There are also clearly some genuine errors and oversights in the manual which would be worth clearing up. I'm sure that we'd all rather be composing music instead of wasting time going over and over sections of the instructions which are out of date or inaccurate. It takes the gloss off what's otherwise an enjoyable and impressive experience.

Cheers,

Chris

H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Here's what I've found so far:

PROGRAM

‘Bugs’ in the program:

Style Picker Window:

1. The ability to change the instruments for the Melody Patch and the Soloist Patch doesn’t work.

You can select, and tick, a fresh instrument on the drop down menu but it doesn’t then select it or correctly report the selection on the screen. It either reverts to the original or selects a random one. (confirmed by pgsupport).
(Workaround: Audition the basic styles in the style picker window, but return to the main screen to change the instruments

2. The link from the Help selection “View Band in a Box Manual” is incorrectly programmed. It refers to a file that is no longer present, and not the ones that are there now. (confirmed by other user experience).
(Workaround: Open the location “Applications/Band-in-aBox/Manuals” ...um... manually.

Unconfirmed bugs (still possibly user error, or other conflict/problem)

1. On a couple of occasions I have arrived at the desired arrangement and ‘frozen’ all the tracks and then saved and exited. When I later reloaded the song most of the tracks were now silent, with only one still producing any sound.

2. When I rebuild the styles list (at the style picker window) after an install a box pops up that reports 8,015 styles, which is 4 times the number that actually show up on the style picker list. When I select “All Styles” it displays a list of just over 1800 styles. However, there are many more files than that in the “Band-in-a-Box/Styles” sub-folder? Finder reports the number as 8,389 - different again. Why the variation in numbers? Shouldn't they all show when “All” is selected, or what….?

MANUAL ERRORS

1. The manual(s) supplied on the disc don’t match the printed one supplied with the same shipment. This means that the information is not the same and the page numbers and general layout are completely different. It would be greatly preferable if they all matched the most current version.

2. Some of the files referred to in the instructions don’t actually exist on my installation. Given that I have the Megapak, it’s probably safe to assume that they don’t exist on the basic Pro installation either. This makes working through examples frustrating and confusing to new users. Alternative choices are not always obvious (if they were we probably wouldn't be needing to work through the examples) and having to skip chunks of instruction is not good.

e.g.

a) The printed manual tells me that that I should be able to find some useful demos "from folders with names like Applications/Band-in-a-Box/RealTracks - Demos/RealTracks102 Demos" but no such useful sub-folders exist. Instead, 300 files, many with weird names are all lumped under RealTracks-Demos. I had no way of knowing whether the lack of the indicated sub-folders were some kind of installation error. The files were also a mixture of clearly named sound samples and what seem to be style related files with nothing to help decode the various odd and unfamiliar methods of naming them.

b) On page 11 of the Mac upgrade manual it says:

"Choose #1323, a Medley of Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, and Clarinet. It will change instruments every 8 bars."

But when I followed the instructions exactly there is no #1323 on the list. Indeed the only medleys there are 4 bars. there are none for 8 bars at all. I have the Megapak version, which should surely have the required file, plus more similar ones.  So that made me wonder if I had a dodgy download in some way, or if the original file had some errors in it?  So I downloaded a fresh BiaB file and installed it all again. Same result. Total waste of my time and bandwidth. Not good. Support confirmed lack of #1323 to be pgmusic mistake.

GENERAL ISSUES:

1. TAB. On page 117, the printed manual says:

Quote:

RealGuitar charts: If a track has RealChart, and is a guitar track with accurate tab and on-screen guitar fretboard display, then it is green and underlined with a long line.

I have no trouble following the selection instructions in the manual, and getting the green word with the line underline, but I can't seem to get it to show any more than a fretboard display, which is not the same as TAB. Is the manual being overly optimistic?

The blurb for some of the track sets for Macs on sale at this site also mentions TAB.

Quote:

RealTracks Set 118: Brent Mason Country Soloing
Swing the lead with RealTracks Set 118! This set includes four Electric Guitar Country soloing styles played by award winning Nashville legend Brent Mason. Whether you are shufflin', train-pickin', waltzin', or just wanna boogie, Brent's delicious Guitar sound and how-DOES-he-do-it string picking will blow you away! And if that is not enough, Band-in-a-Box's RealCharts allow you to watch how these solos are played in notation, TAB , or on the on-screen guitar fretboard.

This seems to be at odds with Peter Gannon’s assertion on another thread there is no TAB for Mac.

So what sort of TAB is referred to in the quotes above? They are both from Mac specific information.

--------------------------------------------

Well, that’s start. Any comments, additions, similar experiences, corrections or clarifications would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Chris

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Chris,
Thanks for posting those. We'll correct those manual issues (in the PDF.)

>>> When I rebuild the styles list (at the style picker window) after an install a box pops up that reports 8,015 styles, which is 4 times the number that actually show up on the style picker list. When I select “All Styles” it displays a list of just over 1800 styles. However, there are many more files than that in the “Band-in-a-Box/Styles” sub-folder? Finder reports the number as 8,389 - different again. Why the variation in numbers? Shouldn't they all show when “All” is selected, or what….?

The 8,015 refers to style entries, and the same style is listed under multiple cateogies (under "All", "Jazz" "Balads" etc.)

>> MANUAL ERRORS
We'll fix those in the next PDF manual that gets made.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G

CHRIS .... this is great ... thanks for doing this.

H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Quote:

CHRIS .... this is great ... thanks for doing this.

You're most welcome. Thanks for confirming that it looks like it might be useful.

H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Quote:

Chris,
Thanks for posting those. We'll correct those manual issues (in the PDF.)

Good to hear that it was useful. While they're updating the PDF's there's some more issues with PDFs that might be worth looking at too. The summary PDF's in the Style Demo sub-folders aren't all accurate either. Some match the contents of their respective folders (e.g. #60 Style Demos, etc) but others appear to have been compiled by somebody who was not entirely sober at the time.... The PDFs contain files that aren't in the folder and the folders contain files that aren't described in the PDF. These have proved to be very useful PDFs, so it would help if they were accurate.

For instance:

"Here is Styles Set #00 with 35 great “various” styles for Band-in-a-Box." From the PDF. It then goes on to list 30, not 35. They don't match the folder which has 50, but which don't include all of the 30 described.

One of the standard dilemmas with any software is that the more options and variations you're given the better it is - once you know how it all works. But the more possibilities you get then the harder it is to work through all the unfamiliar stuff as a new user. So it's not automatically intuitive to know precisely how terms like "Styles" "Combos" "Sets" "Genres" etc are meant in the context of BiaB, especially as some can be approached via several different paths and variations. You can't beat working through and experiencing it all, but accurate guidance is a huge help. The style file names can look pretty cryptic, so finding those PDFs was a welcome discovery. They give a plain English description of what the style is about, in a useful list fashion. A combined collation of them all would be extremely useful too - 77 PDFs are a lot to work through individually. Is there already such a list somewhere?

Quote:

>>> When I rebuild the styles list (at the style picker window) after an install a box pops up that reports 8,015 styles, which is 4 times the number that actually show up on the style picker list. When I select “All Styles” it displays a list of just over 1800 styles. However, there are many more files than that in the “Band-in-a-Box/Styles” sub-folder? Finder reports the number as 2,389 - different again. Why the variation in numbers? Shouldn't they all show when “All” is selected, or what….?

The 8,015 refers to style entries, and the same style is listed under multiple cateogies (under "All", "Jazz" "Balads" etc.)

So that means that it's counting some style several times, because they're listed under more than one heading? OK. But why do only 1800 show up under "All" - not the 2389 in the style folder? Shouldn't "All" mean what it says? To give an example:

In the style folder there are 8 files called _JAZMED2.STY through to _JAZMED9.STY and one called _JAZMEDL.STY All are presumably jazz medleys, which sounds interesting. However when I double clicked on _JAZMED4.STY it re-opened BiaB with the style picker open. No matter where I looked on the list there was no file of that name listed. However when I double clicked on _JAZMEDL.STY it opened BiaB and started playing with the right style file, which is what you might expect. The _JAZMEDL.STY file IS listed in the style picker, which is also what you'd expect.

Clicking on _JAZMED6.STY also re-opened the BiaB window and DID begin playing with the selected style (very nice too.... ). However, if I then tried to find it in the style picker it's NOT there either. If the counts of 1800 and 2,389 are roughly right then it looks as if there are over 500 files that appear in the Style folder that don't make it into the Style Picker - some of which are still potentially 'live' and some of which may be either defunct or else need to be used in some other way?? There do seem to be a fair number of loose ends in BiaB. Not crucial so far, but still confusing and rather time wasting.

[EDIT:Further experimenting seems to show that the results are relatively random. If I double clicked on the style file with BiaB not already running then it sometimes launched the program and sometimes crashed. If BiaB was running then it sometimes pulled up the style picker window and waited, but more often just ran the selected style, even though it wasn't listed in the Style Picker. So I haven't found a consistent pattern. ]

Any chance of a reply on the TAB issue please?

Are the Mac reference to TAB that I quoted from the manual, and the Mac sales info page on the pgmusic website just errors? Maybe cut and pasted from somewhere else without correction, or...?

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by hakea; 06/09/11 06:14 PM.
H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Quote:

2. When I rebuild the styles list (at the style picker window) after an install a box pops up that reports 8,015 styles, which is 4 times the number that actually show up on the style picker list. When I select “All Styles” it displays a list of just over 1800 styles. However, there are many more files than that in the “Band-in-a-Box/Styles” sub-folder? Finder reports the number as 8,389 - different again. Why the variation in numbers? Shouldn't they all show when “All” is selected, or what….?

Apologies due here.

Finder reported the number as 2,389 NOT 8,389....

Now I'm getting buggy...

Cheers,

Chris

H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
UPDATE:

There’s some good news and some bad news…

The bad news is that I can’t edit the original posts any more so this is getting a bit messy. The good news is that it’s been here for a while and nobody else has posted any bugs or problems yet. The stuff that I’ve found is fairly minor and not hard to fix in later versions. That has to be a good sign.

TAB

The mentions of TAB presumably were in error as I see that all references to it have now been removed from the on-site list of Mac Realtrack Sets. It’s still in the recent PDF manual, but no doubt that can be fixed for the next edition. So no TAB at all for Mac. Fortunately, I read music and don’t use tab much, so no big deal there.

STYLE FILES

The ‘missing’ files between the StylePicker and the Styles folder (up to 1,000 now with my new Ultrapak installed) is because they are “Multi-style” files. The ‘extra’ ones apparently contain multi-style sub-versions following a certain naming logic. Thanks to John for his explanation here Style File question at the Windows Forum.

NEW

Function Key Shortcuts Not Working

I’ve also noticed that the Function keys ….um… malFunction… The current Mac keyboards have tasks like brightness and volume assigned to the function keys. If you want to use them for other tasks you need to hold down the ‘fn’ key (older mac keyboards apparently don’t have that key). On wireless keyboards it’s in the bottom left corner, on wired keyboards it’s in a cluster in the upper right, next to ‘home’ and ‘delete’.

So if you follow the instructions (found, for instance, in the drop down menus) and just add the ‘fn’ key as well as the listed function keys, then some of them will then work. But not all. For example F9 (Open a User Style from disk) won’t work either as just F9 or fn + F9. For that one you have to go into the Mac System Preferences, dig around under ‘keyboard’ and disable the assignment for F9. The same seems to apply for F12 (which should turn the sound off as a Panic button, but currently actually turns the volume up, which is kind of funny if you aren’t actually panicking at the time… ). Not sure about all the others, but you can experiment.

With a bit of luck that will be all from me. So I'll get back to making music and stop cluttering up the forum. But if you find something don't hesitate to contact Support. I've found them to be very quick to help and very keen to get any remaining little wrinkles ironed out.

Cheers,

Chris

You know, I bet nobody ever reads this far down...too much waffle to wade through... I reckon if I just drank a bottle or two, took all my clothes off and sat down here singing vulgar songs at the top of my voice, nobody would notice.... Now, what chords would go well with a bottle of red in a brown paper bag?.....

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
Hi Chris,
I do read all the way down. Too much immediacy in this world. Every problem has to be solved in micro seconds and if it's not...Then it becomes unsolvable. Patience seems to be an attribute that we see less and less.( My little rant). As far as the wine and naked!!! You deserve it after posting all that helpful information. Thanx for taking the time to help.
TakeCare
Bill

H
hakea Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
H
Quote:

Hi Chris,
I do read all the way down. Too much immediacy in this world. Every problem has to be solved in micro seconds and if it's not...Then it becomes unsolvable. Patience seems to be an attribute that we see less and less.( My little rant).

Bill

You're a star BIll! Thanks for posting.

Good to know that there is somebody else around who will still hang in there for more than a few sentences. Working through the details, bit by bit, can sound kind of nit-picky, but I believe that it does help make things better in the end. pgmusic seem willing to listen too, which is a refreshing change from some companies. I often spot errors in music books too - possibly due to the increasing reliance on software spell-checkers rather than professional proofreaders - but usually there's little interest shown in producing errata lists. The focus often seems to be more on flogging the print run and then moving on to the next title.

Cheers,

Chris

A
A
I'm a long-time BIAB user who hasn't used it for a number of years. I just purchased the 11.5 upgrade (now for the Mac) and I can't believe all the bugs; things that work once, then don't work again; "interactive features" that ignore my interaction; "not found" styles even though I purchased the EverythingPAK - which is supposed to come with all styles, and so much more.

After 10+ years, this is still a great CONCEPT for songwriters, but the execution remains unbelievably poor. And the interface, never a model of ease-of-use, just gets more complex and obtuse. What a disappointment (since the sounds and arrangements generated are potentially fantastic!)

Am I alone in my frustration?

Will we ever see a rewrite more along the lines of the state-of-the-art G4 apps?

Dave Hebert
A Bear & His Music (BMI)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
)))) "not found" styles even though I purchased the EverythingPAK

The Everything Pak does include all styles, about 2,300. We are not aware of any missing style message. So please provide an example.

))) interactive features" that ignore my interaction;

Which interactive feature are you referring to?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
The silence is deafening.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,689
Posts736,032
Members38,541
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
lannguyen, hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez
38,541 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 178