Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Mac just to answer the other part of your question,There is an output for speakers on my computer .There is no left or right outputs on my computer just one out put .I then have a cable which fits the computer out put which is much smaller then 1/4 inch. The wire splits up into left and right with 1/4 inch jacks on the other end . I then have that connected to the input left and right on my external mixer. The power amp is connected to my mixer and then out to the Pa Speakers. Here is the link to this mixer im using ------->http://www.mackie.com/products/profx8/ I am connected to the 7/8 inputs one 1/4 jack on the top and one 1/4 on the bottom input.This is the way Mackie tec support told me to hook it up.

Regards,
Greg

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Y adaptor, with the 1/8" plug into the computer output, is the little 1/8" plug a TRS type (two insulating bands between barrel and tip or one insulating band there?).

With a Mackie board, which by design splits the difference between Consumer and Pro levels, may not be driven hard enough into a Line input on the mixer. There are ways to deal with that, but first need to know the above and also more about your computer and soundcard. Laptop or desktop? The little 1/8" output you are using, is it the earphone output of a laptop or the Line Output of a desktop? What Operating System? Type of PC, brand and model?

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Mac ,
I have the Dell inspiron
operating system 64 bit
Windows 7 Home Premium
4 Gig
Processo Intel R Celeron R CPU
Sound card I dont know where to look for that ?
I have 1/8 plug coming out of the speaker output of my computer which has two bands on it and the 1/4 jacks at the other end which goes into the mixer have one band .One jack is going to input left and the other one is going to input right and 1 eq, hi ,mid ,low for both channels . I am getting enough volume into the speakers becuase the horns are loud but the instruments don't seem to sound fat only the sax and horns .The drums sound thin and so does the bass. I'm thinking it could be that the demos i am hearing on line are playing at flat response and are compressed files. I did ask if some one could send me a BIAB Real Style that was put through the RealBand mixer and EQ to see if that would make the differnce but no senders so far. All the instruments in the Demos are running at flat response. The Demos are useless. Does this not make sence ? Thanks for your support
Regards,
Greg

Veteran
Veteran
Here's one sample I did from a few years ago for Ed Bulmer (back when Realtracks were very new). Realtracks actually sound better now than back then (new and improved algorythm) -
http://edbulmer.com/mp3samples/simple.mp3
Once again though, a compressed file.

I'm working on one currently using some RT's but it's not ready yet.
I'm sure there are better examples out there.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
M
mgf Offline
M
Quote:

I found this discussion interesting and helpful, since I use BIAB and a Yamaha arranger in live settings almost daily. As a solo performer, I select which to use depending on the gig and various circumstances. I get plenty of gain with both through a small mixer and powered EV speakers. Fortunately, that's never been an issue for me. With BIAB, I was slow to adopt the Real Tracks and stayed with midi for a long time. Now, I've seen the light and have moved toward the RTs, especially with the latest additions and upgrades. I do a lot of remixing and resaving to keep things right. I've got far more material, styles, and songs to work with in BIAB. In this case, I'm on guitar, with vocals. However, the Yamaha styles and polished sound really sit well for instrumental dinner music in a solo setting. In terms of overall sound from the speakers, I can't say my clients prefer one over the other. The rhythm section from BIAB approximates a real band, in my estimation, better than the arranger. The arranger, however, seems to be a fatter, fuller sound. Those strings, vocal backups, etc. really dress it up. Wish BIAB had that. My dream would be the "marrying" (as someone said) of the two programs. For recording or creating backing tracks, imagine being able to quickly type-in chord changes for a professional arranger, without having to play it in real time, or use the dreadful step recording? I'd pay dearly for something like that.

There is one that I know of in the works, called vArranger by a musician/programmer in France named Dan.
I bought the current version & he is working on an add-on MIDI Export module. It currently reads Ketron
styles, some Yamaha styles with Roland styles planned in the future.

MyZone1958 #129467 09/25/11 09:25 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

The Demos are useless. Does this not make sence ? Thanks for your support
Regards,
Greg

Greg,

I've been trying to tell you that when I stream any of the web demo files here, they are not thin sounding at all. They are very near to spot on if not spot on as far as gain staging, EQ and the rest of it. My system with pc is normalized as to sounds coming out of the soundcard and into the mixer. I keep my mixer's input channels EQ shelving at or near the 12 o'clock mark, too.

There is something going on with your computer system and the soundcard or the connection to the mixer that is causing this problem for you.

First thing to try when troubleshooting audio problems is substitution.

Take a CD player that has the same 1/8" stereo output on it, such as for earphone output, disconnect the plug to mixer from your computer soundcard, and plug it into the CD player. Now, without changing any settings on the PA system, play a CD that you know sounds good to you. We call this a "reference recording" in the biz, which simply means a well mixed and mastered recording in a genre that you know and also a recording that you've listened to long enough that you have a good idea what it should sound like.

Fisrt thing to find out is if that CD sounds the same as your Band in a Box demo songs when played back through the same channels and system, or not.

If the CD sounds great, nice and full, then the fickle finger of fate points to something within your computer system. Might just prove that what you really are finding out is that it is time to purchase, install and use a good aftermarket sound device that has better output and more control.

Again, I know you may be thinking that I'm just some fanboy or that I work for PGMusic (I don't) and am trying to lead you astray here, but nothing could be further from the truth. The web posted demo songs sound great here. Been streaming them and listening through my reference nearfield monitoring system in my home studio as I type this. They sound ready for radio, man. And they are.

--Mac

Mac #129468 09/25/11 01:15 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Mac,
I don't have a CD Player with an 1/8 connection but I do have a cd player with and RCA out put connection with an 1/4 inch adaptor which goes into my 1/4 female inputs left and right on my mixer and then through my amp and into my speakers .It sounds rich and Full. It is possible my sound card could be cheap .The question is how much is a good sound card cost and who would install it for me? .I have herd there are some external sound cards out there that do not need to be installed inside the computer but the cost of one of those is beyond me. Which model external sound card would serve the purpose? What is your recommendation ? What are the steps I need to take to search and find out what sound card i have now in my computer and if this one is causing the problem ? If I know the model of my sound card you can then give me your opinion as if this sound card is good or bad . Thank you for your support

Regards,
Greg

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Rharv,
I had a listen to your song created from BIAB .The drums sounded great and the vocals were excellent but the bass did not seem all that heavey through my sound system When i listened through my head phones on my mixer it self the bass was some what better. Did you work that song ? Did you run it through realband to ajust E Q mid,High and low or was that at flat response much like the demos on line ? Thanks for sharing

Regards,
Greg

Veteran
Veteran
That had some work done to it a few years back. I think Mac has found your issue,
Do you have a PCI slot available on the computer? Installing a soundcard should not be that hard. PCI is often the most stable, but USB can work.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Hi Rharv,
I had a listen to your song created from BIAB .The drums sounded great and the vocals were excellent but the bass did not seem all that heavey through my sound system When i listened through my head phones on my mixer it self the bass was some what better. Did you work that song ? Did you run it through realband to ajust E Q mid,High and low or was that at flat response much like the demos on line ? Thanks for sharing

Regards,
Greg

The above statement in bold, plus the fact that your report a nice full sound from inputs other than the computer, seems to be telling us that whatever your problem is lies within your PC.

Just telling us, "Dell Inspiron" doesn't give enough info for me to search out your actual system specs and thus be able to recommend a sound device that meets your requirments of working and playing well with the system. "Inspiron" covers a wide range of their products, at this point I'm not even sure if you have a full size desktop or a compact or slimline or maybe even a laptop.

Locate the actual Dell model designation numbers and post that here exactly as the mfr has put it on the cabinet. From there I should be able to search the Dell website support pages and be able to scope out whether or not you have an extra slot available and more importantly, of what type, could be PCI, but these days a newer machine might just be touting the newer PCIe slot. Or it might only have USB connect available for such.

Once we have the actual model designation nailed, then we can look into aftermarket sound devices and hopefully can come up with something that is both fully capable and also doesn't break the bank account.

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hello Mac i got some information for you ,

I spoken with dell tec support .He does not think changing sound cards would make any difference if any .I did ajust some settings in my computer for me .Seems just a little better but im still not happy with my sound .He said if i wish i can buy a better sound card but again he said he does not think it would make much of a difference .But any way here is the model # of my computer -----> INSPIRON 560 He did say my sound card was not the top of the line and was a basic one but still thought it was ok .But he is not a sound proffesional so i can not go by what he is saying totaly . I have 20 days left on my warrenty and he said if i buy from dell they will walk me through the install of the new sound card. You mentioned about after market sound cards. Can i get a better price with an after market one ? Dell tec said there is a slot for a sound card in my computer but the one that is in there now is connected to the motherboard .He recomended this sound card ----->
Get extreme audio performance from your PC with the PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card. You'll hear realistic EAX 5.0 sound effects and 3D positional audio in your games that's so accurate you can ... Full Description
Dell Price $79.99

What is your advice here . Thanks for your support,

Regards,
Greg

Veteran
Veteran
Hopefully Mac chimes in, but when I looked at your computer specs I notice what is posted below. Yet their tech says it won't make much difference??

From Dell.com-
Inspiron 560 specs -
Sound Card

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio up to Creative SoundBlaster® X-Fi Xtreme Audio (D)†

While an integrated sound solution is fine for playing MP3s and CDs, simple presentations, and other basic computing, a sound card can dramatically broaden your audio horizons. In addition to crisp multi-channel sound with maximum realism, sound cards offer high-resolution, low-latency and feature-rich recording for audio enthusiasts and professionals.

quoted from http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-560/pd

The fact you only have PCIe slots available will limit your selection for a card inside the computer. Not many making PCIe as far as I know.

Last edited by rharv; 09/26/11 09:40 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Greg, unless a tech support person happens to also be into DAW's like we are they will have no clue what you're talking about. All they know is you can plug in one of those stupid little mini plugs into a $100 desktop PC speaker system and play your games or watch a movie. For that the guy says "sure, your soundcard is fine".

Don't worry about it though, as a PC your Dell is perfectly good. Also don't worry about installing another soundcard inside your computer, that's why there's lots of very good USB external ones. People here use pretty much all of the different names with good results. I have the EMU, others have a Focusrite, I know someone uses a Roland, there lots of different ones. The price depends on how many inputs and outputs. My Roland Sonic Cell is also an interface and lots of verious guitar sims, and other hardware outboard gear also hook up via USB and can act as an interface as well so depending on your plans you may not need to buy a completely separate USB interface, some other piece of gear may do it.

In my case I have the top of the line 1820M with 8 ins/outs so my EMU costs around $500. They also have some with 2 in/outs for $100-150 or so. You also get pro level 1/4" and RCA plugs, individual headphone outs plus much, much higher quality preamps and circuitry than what's in that el cheapo Real Teck chip on your motherboard.

I'm out of date on the latest offerings, just Google "USB audio/midi interface" find one that fits your budget and then ask us about it before you buy.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Bob ,
I was looking at the EMU AUDIO INTERFACE ,looks like they discontinuted that model. When i spoke to the tec at dell they told me there is no exsternal sound cards. They did say there is a slot to add a better sound card .This exsternal interface you are talking about has me confused .Is that the same as a sound card that is within a computer ? how would that hook up into my mixer ? I was using my mixer as my inputs for mic and affects like reverb,So why would i need this exsternal device for hooking up my mic ? As far as an exsternal device which model for a $100.00 would be better then the sound card i have in my dell ? Would a $100.00 device be ok .Beings i want to buy the audiophile verson of BIAB that in it self will break the bank. Today i was doing some more exsperementing with my Pa System .I hooked up a cd player direct into my mixer and just used that instead of the computer still the low end im not happy with .Im not sure if the problem is all in the sound card or not . Played the cd player with Randy Travis music and still am not hearing a good low end.If i stand back as close as i can to the wall the bass picks up and sounds more solid and low end so im wondering if the acoustics in the room is playing a part in this. As i walk closer to my pa speakers i start losing the bass .As i back up and get closer to the back wall the bass picks up.What could be going on here ? Still waiting for Mac's input .Thank you all for your support.
Regards,
Greg

Veteran
Veteran
large bass sounds take room to develop the waveform in the air. I think that explains some of your bass issue.

External cards are commonly connected thru USB to the computer and standard 1/4" jacks to the audio inputs/outputs.

Veteran
Veteran
Greg, remember when I said earlier you need some basic education in digital audio? I suggested you go to Mac's website and start reading. Have you done that yet? If not, do so. I'm certainly not geting on you here because you just don't know and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't know much about this stuff 10 years ago either.

Don't pay any attention to and don't refer to what that Dell tech is telling you. HE HAS NO CLUE.

This is the current EMU stuff: http://www.sweetwater.com/c703--E-MU--PCI_Audio_Interfaces

Note these new EMU's use the PCIe slot.

Here's Sweetwaters complete list of EXTERNAL interfaces. That Dell tech said what? To be fair he may be referring to a "Soundcard" in the old fashioned sense. Soundcard used to mean it has it's own built in synth to provide sound but they don't do that any more. This is why the term soundcard is not used any more. The proper term is "audio/midi interface".

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces

Check out the first one on the list, the PreSonus AudioBox. Don't you think the mic inputs and other stuff is a heckuva lot better than that pos chip in your Dell?

I'm not recommending Sweetwater or anything, just using them as an example. I've heard they're a good company though.

This is a comment to the rest of the forum because we all had a big discussion about this recently. See what happens when we don't use the correct terminology? Things change, we have to go with it.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 09/27/11 09:58 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob's suggestion of Sweetwater is a very good one. They are an excellent company, and they have perhaps the most knowledgeable and experienced sales staff of any of the large retailers of pro and pro-sumer audio equipment. I get most of my stuff from them.

Bob also mentions a discussion about terminology, and while I remember that thread, I did not think we had all decided to abandon the term 'soundcard'. I have no problem continuing to use it, as long as there are sufficient facts to determine the context of the discussion. That's the key in most situations: we need to know exactly what you already have, and what you intend to do.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Bob ,
First of all i would like to say that correct me if im wrong but i think my mixer is an audio interface with USB. ------> http://www.mackie.com/products/profx8/
Please check out the specs on this and see what you think. Is my mixer an audio interface since it has USB connectivity ? Anyway i tried to ways to hook this up .1 Connected by way of USB .2 I hooked it by way of the out put of my computer 1/8 jack to 1/4 inch jack into the preamp that is built into my mixer .Hands down the connection with out the USB sounded better .When running it through the preamp channel 7/8 that is built into the mixer i got better results.

rharv yes you are right with pa speakers the further back you go the bass gets better due to the waveform in the air .The bottom line is the speakers are to big for the room im in i think .These speakers i think are not ment for house use they are just to dang big.I could go ahead and sell them but then i would have a power amp to deal with also .My power amp is pushing 550 watts per channel and im not sure if there are any smaller speakers out there that would match up with that kind of power. Maybe i should have went with a good pair of monitor speakers with a sub woofer of some kind to fill the room .My speakers i think were designed for long throw application . Rharv you make sence the room is not big enough and the speakers do not have a chance to get off the ground. It's like a race car not being able to get out of first gear . So yes you are right Waveform is playing a big part in this all. I tried to re arrange the speakers in the room and got some better results .I took the longest wall in the room and placed the speakers one in each corner. I then tried one of those BIAB demos and it sounded 10 times better. For a room that is about 11 feet by 20 feet im really thinking the sound system is to big for this room but much better since i placed the speakers on the longest wall. Thanks for exsplaining to me about Waveform in the air. The sound card in my computer may cause some quality lose but im now thinking the bigger factor is it has to do with the size of the room and the size of my sound system .

Regards,
Greg

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
When you connect that Mackie via USB to your computer, are you using the USB connect for listening to sounds that the computer makes? Or is that side still connected to the mixer via analog line cables?

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Mac ,
When i am listening to sounds that the computer makes i have done it both ways .I can use either the USB connection or use analog line cable which is split going out from 1/8 computer connection to the input 1/4 inch connection channel 7/8 on the mixer.The USB is not going through a pre amp with mid ,low and high asjustments it only lets me ajust sound shape with the Graphic EQ and not with the pre amp channel ,low ,mid and high so with the analog hook up i get the low ,mid and high ajustment besides the Graphic EQ.Again with USB connection i only get control over the Graphic EQ Becuase with USB the computer is not feeding through one of the single pre amps 7/8 input .

Regards,
Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,406
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.