Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm still working on optimizing my 2003-vintage homebrew DAW. I'm not up to the full 133 Mbps capability of the ATA bus, but the drives have been benchmarked at six times the data rate they were achieving before. The system is ready to use in a minute from a cold start (45 seconds faster than it was before) and the CPU isn't getting hammered like it used to. I've got a utility (Advanced System Care 4) with a "Game Booster" button that strips the OS down to basics when I'm ready to work. I'm starting to think I can make some serious music on this thing again.

Okay, the questions. First, where is the best place to put temp files on a system with two fast hard drives? On the same drive as the programs or on the second drive? I guess this applies to Windows files, too. A cursory web search says that the temp and swap files should be on the second drive.

Next question: I've got a 128 Mb graphics card, but I'm not certain I've got it configured correctly. The CPU bogs down pretty well and the audio stutters when I run certain visualizations in Winamp or WMP while streaming music. Screen resolution is set to 1024 x 768. Hardware accel is set to full. I just switched write combining off.

Any other tweaks you can think of are welcome. I just received a 'new' used mobo from another forum member but haven't installed it yet. I'd like to see how far I can go with the existing system before I make that change.

System specs: Win XP Pro SP3, PC Chips M863-G mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2200+ CPU, 2 Gb PC2700 DDR RAM, WD Caviar Blue 7,200-RPM HDs (160/500 Gb), Dell P991 17" CRT monitor, Invidia GeForce FX 5200 display adapter.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In RB I always set the temp audio files to 2nd drive. This is where the audio input gets streamed during recording.

Video card; is it sharing an interrupt with something else running at same time?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
**Sometimes certain machines stream audio better when the Hardware Acceleration slider is backed down or even pulled all the way to the left. Especially true when using certain softsynths, VSTs and DXis that can get interrupts at the worst time from the Accelerator. Experiment with different settings of that slider to see if it helps, and of course how far down to turn it. Sometimes necessary to remember that setting if you are a gamer and turn it down to record music and back up for gaming, sometimes seems to make no difference when turned all the way off all the time, go figure.**

Pay attention to what rharv has said as well, IRQ share with video card and sound device is a no-no audio interruption waiting to happen.

How much RAM ya got? Disk swap instead of physical RAM isn't a pretty thing when multitracked streaming of audio in and out while running softsynths and effects is the goal. It is also important to understand how Double Density RAM works and the proper configuration of sticks on your motherboard in order for its Bios to be able to switch and stay in Double Density mode. Odd amounts of RAM, not matched in the proper slots for DDR, may seem like more ramcount but actually can be much less because they force the BIOS to boot up in Single Density mode. Increasing the RAMcount to somewhere around the 2gig mark for the older XP machines is a very good thing when doing DAW work. And the RAM for them is rather cheap now.

But even if you don't have quite enough physical RAM in there, for DAW work under XP it pays to manually set the Disk Swap cache to twice your physical ramsize rather than accepting the default, "Let Windows handle...".

Speakin of XP, if you aren't using SP3, you should. The upgrade is available from microsoft site. No worries here, it is not only well proven and stable mature stuff now, there is also the Restore Point in XP which allows you to revert if need be. If you have it turned on, and everybody should.

Normally I recommend using the second hard drive for the streaming storage of audio Temp files ONLY. This is typically set in the Prefs of the host recording program, the place to select for Temp file storage. And I also recommend using that second drive's first partition only for the purpose, okay to put one folder there, but leave it empty and let it be only for the program's Temp audio streaming files. If you are low on physical RAMcount, I recommend leaving the disk swap selection on the same hard drive where the System lives. That way it cannot interrupt your streaming audio if it needs to access for ram use.

Finally, it often pays to visit the website of the mfr of your mobo (and the mafr's website ONLY - avoid mirror sites and other places that have merely used bots to download who-knows-what) and see if there is a newer BIOS released for it. If so, read up on their method for downloading and installing the newer BIOS to the old girl, and be sure to follow their instructions -- to. the. letter. *Many* problems get corrected after the fact with mobo BIOS and upgrading to the latest patch is often a path to a machine that works as advertised. Be careful on this one, those who don't follow exact instructions, or allow power to be interrupted during the install (or actually turn it off because they got antsy and couldn't wait until the task finished itself...) -- have BRICKED their computers. That's not pretty. Don't be afraid, but do be careful when doing a BIOS flash. If you have a UPS, by all means use it.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
rharv,

I have the temp files for all audio apps set to the second drive. If that's the consensus, then
I guess I have that right.

Now, when I said "streaming" I strictly meant listening to music from the internet, usually on
Winamp. Apparently there is a larger meaning of which I am not aware. Please say more.

Is there somewhere that I can see a table of the interrupts, or do I have to look at each device
individually in Device Manager? I know that my graphics adapter and soundcard are on different
interrupts.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Mac,

Lotta meat there, as usual.

I backed the accel slider off a notch and cut screen resolution to 800 x 600, which I hate. This
allows Visualizations to run smoothly unless I start doing other things. Note that graphics are
not important to me except as far as allowing me to see what I'm doing. I thought, however, that
the glitching was a symptom of a system being sort of "brittle" or on the edge performance-wise.

Note that I would NEVER run a browser when performing serious audio work. In fact, when I hit
"Game" button I'm not even on the network. I don't have antivirus, screen savers, power utilities,
or, AFAIK, any other potential 'gotchas' running in the background.

I have two matched sticks of 1 Gb PC2700 DDR RAM for a total of 2 Gb, the system max. I got
another mobo from rharv with a faster CPU and possibly twice the RAM capacity, but I want to
tweak the existing system first. I did increase the swapfile to a system-recommended default
3070 Mb with a max of 4092, although it's not clear when it would switch. Should I just go ahead
and bump it all the way to 4092?

I am using a fully updated SP3 (the system specs were listed above).

The main drive is 160 Gb; the secondary is 500 Gb. The secondary's intended use is for audio
temp files and storage. Half a terabyte seems like a lot to dedicate to audio, and I need a fair
amount of storage. However, I have a partitioning utility (Partition Magic 8.0) which allows me
to manipulate pretty much everything under Windows. What are your recommendations for allotting
space on the second drive?

When running only one or two apps I typically have 75% RAM available. How does this affect the
location of the swapfile? It doesn't sound critical, but I'm greedy for performance, within the
confines of the existing system.

Updating the BIOS has been suggested many times. That one makes me a bit nervous, in part because
I've never properly backed my system up. I do have a UPS which I have had in reserve, so I guess
this would be the time to use it, although I think I only get about 15 to 20 minutes of runtime
with my system. Would that be enough in the worst case?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Your UPS should give you plenty of time, even worst case, to update the BIOS.

Some of my audio software will analyze my system and make a recommendation, which I can approve or not, about where to place temporary files. They seem to prefer, first, the larger drive and second, the faster drive. Given the sizes of your drives, though, I think there is no question you want to direct temp and audio files to the second.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
So manually set your swap file size to twice the 2G ram, or somewhere around the 4g mark.

For DAW work (and that's the streaming I'm talking about, Audio Streaming in and out of the hard disk at the same time, as we do when multitracking, monitoring a few tracks playing back while at the same time recording more tracks) it is not cool to let Windows decide when to go into swap. That alone can generate unnecessary interruptions in those audio streams.

To get to your IRQs table, go to "Start", "Run", and type in "msinfo32"(no quote marks, of course). Click "OK". In the resultant left-hand window pane, click on the "Hardware Resources" plus sign (+), click on "IRQs" and, after "polling" the computer, the right-hand pane will display what IRQ each peripheral is assigned to in the right window. Examine the report and hopefully the all-important video will not be sharing the same IRQ as your sound device. If such is the case, report back for more.

BTW your screen resolution should not be hurting the audio. When troubleshooting things on the puter, it is always essential to only change one setting at a time and then retest for operation. If your audio streaming improved, it would most likely be due to turning down the vid acceleration, although if your video is shared with the soundcard on the same IRQ, then that would be the real bottleneck at the moment.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
OK, retrieved this old thread, and maybe computer are not the same as they were those times...
Well, I have a "new" notebook, i5 processor, 2 GB RAM, 500Gb HD, 5400 rpm or so HD. That is my intended DAW.
Well, is it possible to run good audio jobs using that notebook?
I found an article at the Presonus site, sugesting many "optimizations" in the Windows settings, but maybe they are outdated too.
http://support.presonus.com/entries/119099-Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-Vista-Windows-7

Now I have a Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL interface.

Last edited by Luiz Dias; 09/23/15 08:09 AM.

regards, from Brazil
Luiz Dias
Watch the videos of me playing the percussion/conga drums with a great band!
--> http://uk.youtube.com/user/footkeys
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah. I ran one on a Dell Duo processor with 1G memory. If you use a decent external interface, you can do a lot with it. The interface you have should do fine.

I really wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to "optimize" the computer for audio. I found out that the laptop I was using ran just fine off the shelf. I did a few so called optimizing things and never saw any difference.

Run ASIO drivers and see how she runs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,549
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173