Go To
#134269 11/21/11 08:12 AM
RealBand
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
I need some advice around having my sound in my studio mix matching the sound on the CD. I've got my studio pretty well set up...I'm happy with the sound. I use Roket G6 monitors and the bass mix is great. When I record to a CD the bass is too loud. Any thoughts on what I should do inside the studio to correct this. I don't want to have to run the bass so low that I have to "guess" on the final sound. I don't feel that adding traps would help as I'm setting equidistance from the monitors and it would seem that I'm hearing only the sound from the monitors uncolored by studio acoustics
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JMK@KnightSounds

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If the result is the bass is too strong, you'll have to learn that those monitors are not providing the correct amount of bass during your work time. You can get a suitable EQ type plugin to push a little more bass to the speakers and use it regularly so your mixes do not end up too heavy, or learn to use an analyzer to 'see' the bass in your mix.

Another aspect (more likely in my mind) is that those monitors only reproduce down to 49Hz (according to specs), so you may want to incorporate a subwoofer. I don't think you are hearing the true bottom end as is.

Just a couple thoughts on it.
What are you comparing it to, as far as the CD playback? Any chance that system is not true?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #134271 11/21/11 10:22 AM
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Another even more likely issue:

The room you monitor/mix in may have some very strong room modes, that coupled with where you monitor in that room, causes you to mix with not enough bass.

You can send a swept sine starting with about 10 Hz up through 500 Hz or so (I know there are swept sine .wav files available on the internet - if not, I'll look through my archives and find you one and post to my website) through your entire recording system, with a microphone located at your listening/mixing position, and record that signal back into your DAW. First make sure that you are not feeding back that microphone signal to playback!!!!.

Look at the recorded waveform. If you see something other than a flat response recorded back - you likely have some room modes to contend with. This is highly highly likely, as most home studios aren't designed as mixing rooms.

What you will likely see is at least one or two regions in the recorded waveform that are much much higher amplitude than other regions. These are the evil room mode frequencies.

Using a freeware FFT analyzer plugin like SPAN from Voxengo, or rharv's old fave freq analyst http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreqAnalyst/

you should be able to see what frequency(ies) those are. Those require some EQ out of your final mix bus. Gingerly play with them using a parametric EQ to pull them out so that when you try the sweep recording again, you get a more flat response.

Another way to do this is to send white noise through your system and record.

Here's a place with lots of .wav files to download and use for recording your system's overall response.
http://www.burninwave.com/

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You'll first need to buy a mic that is meant for taking measurements.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John, I agree with you in spirit but not in whole. Most mics are flat enough, or have a gentle slope, such that if you go through a room mode, you still will see it 'loud and clear', when you do either a sweep or a broadband noise excitation as I suggested above.

I agree with you in spirit because for 20+ years I have used measurement grade microphones from Brüel & Kjær and G.R.A.S. on the job, when I needed precision.

In this case precision is really not necessary. Even an SM 57 http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_sm57_specsheet.pdf has a flat enough response in the low end such that you can do these kinds of measurements. If there was a big resonance bump in the low end response, then that can throw one off. With an SM 57, with it's gradual rise in the low end as frequency increases, what one should expect to see in the recorded time history is just a gradual rise in the recorded level over the sweep.

However, my suspicion is that Knightsounds' room is like most of our home studios, in a bedroom or basement or office, where room modes can dominate low frequency response.

If the monitors are in a corner or close to a wall (say within 1.5', then he/she is going to couple with those room modes and they will totally mess with low frequency mix ability.

The recorded sweep will have pretty sharp bumps where the room modes are an issue.

-Scott

RealBand
K
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
K
I appreciate your suggestions...I have worked with several of them. I believe The easiest solution (I believe) would be the plugin to push a little more bass to the speakers suggested by rharv.
Rharv, I'm fairly new at this "computer recording" but if I understand correctly, I'd hear more bass in the speakers when mixing down but this would not be in the final mix when using the plugin. What specifically should I get?
Also, I'm comparing my final sound to commercial CDs that I like.
My studio is twelve by twenty four and is only used for my music. The monitors are in one end about 18 inches from a windowed wall. The right one is about 8 inches from the side and the left is about 5 feet from the entry door. It is offset in the end due to the entry. Would the right speaker possibly be the issue as it is close to the wall?

Thanks,
JMK

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe speaker placement, you can tinker with it.

Yeah, if you end up hearing more bass while working, you'll trun it down which is what you are looking to change in your end CD.

Try the PGMusic 10 band EQ, boosting 30 and 60, put it into the main out FX area and use it while working. Once you get it set correctly (thru experimentation) save that setting as a preset for easy use in the future. To set it quickly, try different settings, and make notes, so later when you play the CD elsewhere you can go back and say "that';s the one that worked".

When you go to do the final merge just use the bypass button on the plugin. This way you are hearing more bass from your speakers, but not writing it to the end result for other systems .. then test on other systems.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #134276 11/29/11 12:52 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Another thing to try is play your fav CD through the same studio system you're mixing with. Do direct A/B comparisions using several different songs and EQ your recording until it matches the CD. It's also helpful to record parts of your CD and look at the waveform in the Audio Edit window, then look at your preliminary final mix track in the same window. Just comparing the waveforms can tell you a lot. Many times with a commercial CD you'll discover it has been compressed and limited to death and the thing looks like one solid mass with a hard cutoff right at -0.2db. Hardly any dynamics at all. I hate that but if you really want to match the CD then that's what you need to do as well.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,741
Posts736,771
Members38,561
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator, Juha, davyowdoo
38,560 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196