Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#140293 12/11/11 07:18 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As opposed to two-bit users like me. The should-there-be-64-bit-BIAB thread is very interesting, but one phrase got me thinking -- the reference to its "hardcore fanbase". Which, no doubt, we are.

Not everyone has their system specs in their .sig. So, let's just go for a read on the room, shall we?

Do you use BIAB on a system with a 64-bit processor?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 12/11/11 07:17 AM
Do you use BIAB on a system with a 64-bit operating system?
single choice
How much RAM do you have in your system?
single choice

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Journeyman
Journeyman
One of the things that had been keeping me away from 64-bit was compatibility (not just XP mode stuff.) For example my (relatively new) HP Laserjet printer is not supported. Once the toner runs out, I guess I'll do the whole machine up. Then again, Maybe I'll wait for Windows 8 .. just around the corner.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Expert
Expert
Hi Philly,
Might be alittle Off-topic, but since you mentioned it:
I hope you know, that you can install drivers in 32bit compatibility mode in Win7 64bit.

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, this is highly interesting. So far, with 24 responses, there are 23 on 64-bit hardware (96%), 21 using a 64-bit OS (88%), and only two with less than 4 GB RAM.

I have no idea what this means, but now I'm thinking what could BIAB and RB do if they could address more system RAM....

Best,
Tom Smith
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Philly,
Might be alittle Off-topic, but since you mentioned it:
I hope you know, that you can install drivers in 32bit compatibility mode in Win7 64bit.

Sandra

Sandra is right if you have 64 bit Win 7 Pro as it has a compatibility mode. 64 bit Win 7 Home does not have this compatibility mode, at least on this side of the pond, so it will not run 32 bit software.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mario, right click on the executable file or startup icon. Select "Properties", under the compatibility tab, select the OS you want Win 7 Home Premium to use. Not sure if this works in the standard Win 7 Home though.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
I'm running WIN 7 64 Pro so I cannot positively verify if Win 7 Home Premium or Starter has the "run in compatibility" check boxes but HIGHLY suspect they do. As mentioned, use the properties to get to it. Also if you anyone has/uses WIn 7 Pro or Ultimate they allow for/comes with "Win XP mode" a virtual Windows XP 32 bit machine you can run in Win 7 (but if you use Pro/Ultimate you probably already know about "Win XP mode.")

However, contrary to popular opinion here, neither of these solutions are 100% cures for ALL older programs. I have more than a few older programs (e.g., WinFax Pro, Cardfile), plus some actual 16-bit only apps, that will not run at all in ANY "compatibility mode" (e.g., Win 95, Win 98, Win XP SP1, SP2, ...Vista, ...).

Although MOST will run in Win XP Mode (if they don't need HW or some form of direct bus access). While Win XP Mode is probably great for businesses/corporations that need both Win 7 currency as well as backward compatibility (for clients, old files, etc.) it is actually rather a PITA for infrequent use - and just to clarify "Win XP Mode" is only under Win 7 Pro or Win 7 Ultimate and should not to be confused with Win 7 "compatibility mode," which is available to all Win 7 uses (Starter to Ultimate).

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
related but OT from OP

I'd hate to see PG leave non-64 bit users in the dust like Twelve Tones (Cakewalk) did me when they went from CWPA 9 to Sonar XL (aka Sonar 1), which required going from Win 98 to Win XP (which in turn required new HW). I probably hung back for more than a few years because I was in no hurry to have to buy NEW HW, to run the NEW OS, just so I could buy the NEW Sonar.

While I can now fully support 64-bit SW, as well as the latest graphic intense gaming, I for one am in no hurry for PG to jump on 64-bit band wagon (yea I know that leaves 64-bit VST users wanting). And yes, I know time marches on and things change but 64 bit just for 64 bit sake is no reason to jump IMHO.

Actually I'm glad I waited as long as I did to go from Win XP to Win 7 (glad I missed the whole Vista thing for sure). However, now I wished I had waited just a few more months to do Win 8 because someone will start making stuff that ONLY runs under that OS (plus now I'm stuck with this already out of date Sandy Bridge i7-2600K & LGA 1155 socketed MoBo - just think I could have gotten the new Ivy Bridge i7-3770K with the obviously better LGA-2011 MoBo )

my 2 cents

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/13/11 09:22 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
If it is run in compatability mode does it allow access to more than 4 gig of ram? I didn't think that it would.

Veteran
Veteran
I honestly do not know, you need an actual OS guru; however, my guess would be no.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No. Compatibility mode does its best to mimic not only the execution but the addressing, and so it would only use 32-bit addresses.

And, Larry, it looks as if Win8 will in fact retain compatibility, which only makes sense to me given the huge installed XP base. (Pretty much everyone I know who used Vista has either gone on to Win7 or went back to WinXP.)

Best,
Tom Smith
S
S
HI, my name is Scott and I have been reading these posts. My new computer will be
a Dell with 16 gigs ram, and i7, and one 100 mg hard drive. It also will have windows 7 64 bit. I am running Band in a Box 2010.5.

I also need to purchase an external audio/midi interface because my new computer does not have any pci slots, only pcie.

I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions that you may have for using band in a box with my new computer, and which external interface to purchase. The choices appear to be a-audio and tascam, and my budget is $ 100-$200.

I'm sorry to ramble so much.

Thanks,

Scott

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Not rambling at all. Welcome to the forums, and I'm sure that lots of other folks will have suggestions for interfaces.

I'm not up on PCIe sound cards, but I'm using motherboard audio myself right now, and it's doing fine. Creative has a bunch of PCIe cards that should do well for you.

As for an interface, I use M-Audio's Audio Buddy, which is about $70-80 from various sources including Amazon and Sweetwater. It's not USB, but goes directly to your mic/line-in input on the sound card or motherboard, which means there's no USB latency. (I tend to have problems with USB sound drivers. Other people don't, and I'm sure they can help you if you go that route.) It's also a phantom power supply for one or two standard XLR microphones.

Your computer will run BIAB like a dresm, although I think that "100 mg hard drive" has to be a typo -- they haven't made 'em that small since I had my first Amiga.

Best,
Tom Smith
Expert
Expert
All this proves what I said elsewhere about 64-bit PCs. They are now the standard and it is even difficult to obtain a 32-bit PC. However, on the question of operating systems, it seems that Microsoft still recommend their 32-bit operating system for MS Office. That mystifies me but suggests that it may not be easy to write 64-bit programs, or perhaps it is a long programming task?

I wish could find out the truth about the benefits of 64-bit computers with 64-bit Operating systems. The programmers I work with just give me a 'knowing' look and say that it probably would not do any harm to write 64-bit programs - unless most of our customers are stuck with 32 Operating systems - which I do not think is the case.

Another problem is that programmers do tend to date rather quickly with their knowledge. Some other programmers I have asked the same question preface their answer with, "Well, I am not really an expert on 64-bit but .........." That's frightening!

Last edited by Graham Martin; 12/13/11 05:18 PM.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Most office environments are, shall we say, stodgy about upgrading, especially when they've got lots and lots and lots of computers to upgrade at once. The last office I worked in stuck with Win98 until MS dropped support for it. Remember also that most of the people who use computers in offices are neither tech-savvy nor avid users; the computer is for them a tool. And they don't like having to learn all-new tools if they can help it.

The primary benefit for 64-bit OS, as far as BIAB is concerned, is memory addressing. The limit for 32-bit systems is 4 GB. With a 64-bit CPU and 64-bit OS, there is (as far as we're concerned) no limit. Which means we can use much more RAM. This is going to be more and more important, as BIAB and RB use larger and more complex RealTracks, loops, and VST plugins.

We're hardly hosed yet, but there are limits, and for the first time they're just in sight.

Best,
Tom Smith
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173