Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
K
koalaD Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi guys~

Just found out about BiaB and wow... I'm truly amazed at what it can do! Been using iRealB for the iPhone and that was great but this is like another level. I'm very excited to purchase the product!

I know things get updated and should not care about future updates but it sounds to me like BiaB will be updated soon for the Mac and I would hate to purchase it now and have to pay the upgrade if it comes out soon

What are your thoughts?

I have both PC and Mac. Should I just purchase the PC 2012 or wait for the Mac 2012? Ahhh I hate having two systems.. haha

Cheers~

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Koala,
You could buy the PC version, and run it on your PC. You can also run it on a Mac under Bootcamp if you have Windows installed on the Mac. BB for Windows runs flawlessly on a Mac under Bootcamp.

Failing that, you could wait for the Mac version 2012.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
K
koalaD Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey Peter,

Thanks for letting me know. I don't have bootcamp but do run Parallels. How is the performance in Parallels?

If I'm bootcamping or parallels, would the latency still be lower than if I were to use the native Mac edition?

Cheers

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I haven't tested parallels. I program the Windows version of BB on a Mac with Bootcamp, so that's how I know that it works

Latency on the Mac version is great (low)

Latency on the Windows versn is not good with the default MME driver, but if you use ASIO (e.g. Asio4all.com ) then it is great.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
K
koalaD Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Awesome. All in all I'm assuming Windows version is the same as the Mac in features?

Sorry for all these nuisance questions. I just want to spend my money for the right platform.

Cheers!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The Windows version has more features than the Mac version. We're working to close that gap.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
K
koalaD Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ah, thank you for the prompt response.

I'm assuming you are saying even when both version numbers are the same Windows (currently) has/had more features than the Mac.

I'm leaning towards bootcamping, now. Hahaha

Thanks

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, assuming that you have room on your hard drive, getting Windows running on a Mac is as easy as:
1. Buying a copy of Windows 7/64($199 from Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows+7+Ho...;lp=7&cp=1)
2. Run Bootcamp on your Mac, you will divide your hard drive between Mac and Windows, and install Windows 7/64.

You're done, and then you can run the Windows or Mac version of Band-in-a-Box.

For someone who already has the Windows version of Band-in-a-Box, this option might actually be cheaper, since you don't have to buy Band-in-a-Box again.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
A
A
Peter,
I have been considering this set up for a while using BIAB windows on bootcamp on mac. My question is that, Is the latency of BIAB win version on bootcamp (Mac) similar to BIAB Mac version on IMac? I asked that question because I am very satisfied with the latency on my BIAB Mac version on IMac but of course I am missing the full version of BIAB on windows, hence considering using BIAB win on bootcamp on mac.

Thanks.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Avid,

Good question. Mac latency in general is much better than Windows, using the default driver type that Windows uses, which is MME drivers. Most pro audio users on Windows would use ASIO drivers instead of MME. In this case (e.g. asio4all.com ) the latency on Windows is great, and as good as the Mac. There can be hassles with ASIO drivers, such as only being able to use one program at a time with ASIO. Also, latency only matters with Band-in-a-Box when you are recording, and want to hear the MIDI or audio as you are recording.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
K
koalaD Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for bringing that up Avid, cuz latency was something I was concerned about. But using asio4all should do the job.

While reading this, I came up with another question. If I were to buy both versions, say I buy the megapak for windows and just purchase the basic pack ($129) for the Mac, can the media files be used interchangeably from the Windows pack to the Mac or are the media files themselves have different extensions? So in short, if I have the MegaPak for one of the platforms is it necessary for me to purchase the MegaPak for the different OS?

Cheers!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The MIDI styles transfer from Windows to Mac, but the RealTracks don't (we use wma files on Windows, and m4a files on Mac)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
Quote:

The Windows version has more features than the Mac version. We're working to close that gap.

YAY !!!

H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
Peter

Will the Mac version 2012 have the Loops support feature that the windows version have (i.e. that you can import your own loops?).

Paul

Paul Wolfe
how to play bass...learning songs, not scales!
http://www.how-to-play-bass.com
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
Oh and meant to ask - do we have even a rough timescale on when 2012 will be here? (am hanging out for the 60s soul real tracks!!!)

Paul Wolfe
how to play bass...learning songs, not scales!
http://www.how-to-play-bass.com
kj Offline
subscribing to thread . Thanks !
kj

C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
PG Music does not make any promises or pre-announcements, but extrapolating from past experience, this should have come out in the second half of March, with the .5 coming out in September. So unless there is a major slippage, this should be out any day now.

J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
I have tested Parallels -- running BIAB Windows 2012 on an IMAC with 6 GB RAM in the latest version of Parallels. I also own its main competitor, the latest version of Fusion, and for BIAB, Fusion is the only one that works for me. The main problem is, I'm getting some quiet-but-audible "clicks and pops" playing back BIAB in Parallels, which I haven't experienced in Fusion (and for testing purposes, I imported the same Windows machine into both). This has also been a problem for me in some (but not all) previous versions of Parallels. I actually slightly prefer the Parallels interface, and if BIAB wasn't my main reason for running Windows on a Mac, I'd choose Parallels. But BIAB ran really smoothly for me in Fusion, and I'm running the Audiophile version. I also found Parallels' tech support less than helpful -- though I haven't needed VM's tech support, and thus, can't compare.
Of course, your situation might be different, and it may be that BIAB and Parallels will run fine for you. It's obviously working for some folks.

E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
Quote:

I have tested Parallels -- running BIAB Windows 2012 on an IMAC with 6 GB RAM in the latest version of Parallels. I also own its main competitor, the latest version of Fusion, and for BIAB, Fusion is the only one that works for me. The main problem is, I'm getting some quiet-but-audible "clicks and pops" playing back BIAB in Parallels, which I haven't experienced in Fusion (and for testing purposes, I imported the same Windows machine into both). This has also been a problem for me in some (but not all) previous versions of Parallels. I actually slightly prefer the Parallels interface, and if BIAB wasn't my main reason for running Windows on a Mac, I'd choose Parallels. But BIAB ran really smoothly for me in Fusion, and I'm running the Audiophile version. I also found Parallels' tech support less than helpful -- though I haven't needed VM's tech support, and thus, can't compare.
Of course, your situation might be different, and it may be that BIAB and Parallels will run fine for you. It's obviously working for some folks.

I used to run the Windows version of Band in a Box before they had a Mac OS X version. I'd never do that again. It worked, but sorta. And with the Mac version pretty much having all the essential features of the Windows version (like the real tracks). The only thing I can think of that was in the Windows version (like the 2005 or 2006 version) was an ear training thing. And some sort of game for pitch stuff.

I'd either wait for 2012 band in a box, or perhaps email PG Music to ask if you purchased now, would you get an upgrade to 2012 for free within 30 days if they release a 2012 version. I think they would do that. They seem that sort of company.

There is so much in the 2011.5 that you'd be happy with that.....I am. Freaking awesome stuff.

Musician, Polymath, Google Jedi, Apple Master, Windows Wrangler and Digital Wizard. High ratings in Nerd-fu & Geek-fu.

M1 Mac Mini, MacBook Pro Touchbar 15", Intel 27" iMac, M1 Mac Mini
https://musician.social/@ericdano
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
as long as I remember,you Do work to close that gap,but somehow it doesn't work,does it?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,705
Posts736,256
Members38,548
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB
38,548 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181