Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use the BCF2000 with Sonar. Works well. You can program the sucker to control just about any parameter. However, I still find myself drawing envelopes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Behringer earned a bad rep early on due to high-end boards failing and, in my case, effects units not being static resistant. IMO they have long since overcome the quality issues. I have owned and/or gifted nearly a dozen pieces of their equipment and plan to buy more. I am considering their control surfaces for use with Propellerhead Reason.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
One of the tests of product quality, in my opinion, has been whether or not Sweetwater music would carry a product line. They have carried Behringer for the past year to two years. They were long on signing up. I don't know whether or not they felt pressured into it, or if they felt product quality has risen to their level of acceptance, or both or neither of these.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Those are good points, and I'll have to ask my Sweetwater contact about Behringer next time I need gear.

The main problem I had wasn't exactly 'product quality' - it was a high background noise level in a mixer and also in a headphone splitter/amp. They just couldn't compare to Mackie or Alesis or even Sampson at the time (about eight years ago).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

I had the same problem with an old (mid 1990s) Behringer. compressor. I think you'll find that they have improved greatly, even from 8 years ago.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I DID make the leap and am getting one of these from someone reselling one he bought and never used. So not only do I get a bargain, I get one for a price point that I can always resell and break even. And if this works out better than the MOTU stuff I bought, I know I can get out what I put in for those. As difficult as it was to find them, they must be becoming scarce. Particularly the PCI card....

I don't hjave deadlines so I can play with this as I see fit. I am in the process of perceiving at the moment, envisioning the rewire where I bring the audio back out of my M-Audio interface and mix digitally on the Behringer instead of the Mackie. It's all good though as I do consider myself a gatherer of knowledge, and more learning is never a bad thing.

Once I climbed MOTU Mountain and got it to work as desired, that challenge was behind me. Now on to learning this century's techniques.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I think you will enjoy the BCF2000 once you get all of the setup kinks ironed out. I was able to get mine up and running in Sonar with the help of their forum members.

I also opted to get the BCF's bother (or sister), the BCR2000 which is a 32 rotary/30 button control surface. It is another cool little device in theory but has been a little more difficult to get set up to my needs.

As others have stated, don't let technology get in the way of making music. Honestly, I rarely even turn the units on anymore except towards the very end of a project. And still I find myself adjusting by mouse out of habit.

***** luck.

*EDIT*

Looks like I misspelled "Good" :-)

Good luck.

Last edited by Keebo; 03/13/12 08:09 AM.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay, had the Behringer (and the M-Audio Fast Trak) installed in about 20 minutes after downloading fresh drivers for both. Some minor configuration, that was little more than holding down button 4 while powering up. Opened Sonar. Set the MIDI device and control surface ports to the proper places, loaded a song that was already dumped to WAV files and saved that way, turned on automation, and watched as the volume sliders on the tracks went up and down while I played. One little thing I need to figure out yet is how to renumber the tracks. I have 9 tracks on this song. 1-8 and on slider 1 thru 8. Then I go to the next back of 8 and for some reason track 9 on the song is on slider 6 of the second bank. I THINK it's because I was bouncing them around while they were in Real Band and deleted a bunch of tracks and moved that vocal track 9 up to the 9 slot. I will play with it more over the weekend but if nothing else this has the cool factor as I watch the sliders move slowly and subtly showing the automation changes.

Scott, you were right. This is better.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
But Eddie - you conquered the dual MOTU Throwdown! I have to tip my hat to you for trying the Behringer. You are gonna get hooked on automation. Once you get used to using it, there's no going back - just a warning. You'll be the next voice on the PG boards begging for it across the board.

Here's some things that you can do with automation that are just plain fun:

1. Automate your reverb and other bus effect levels for added drama. I do this with reverb on fadeouts sometimes - increasingly dial up the reverb send while simultaneously pulling the track volume down. Wave bye-bye to the music as it slips over the horizon.
2. Non-destructive gain changes. Fade in and outs can be reversed, multipe edits of a project saved, etc.
3. Automate individual parameters on VST and VSTi. I use this quite a bit with filter cutoff frequencies for old/new school filter sweeps on synths and 'ambient' guitar tracks. The row of knobs along the top of the Behringer will work well for that. For a cool filter to mess with, get Frohmage free from Ohmforce.
4. You can quickly comp a single track by automating gain changes on a bank of tracks. I think Mac uses this quite a bit.

Now, let's hear some music!

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes sir, Scott, automation will take over my music life!!! I got my first taste of it last night and I am going to enjoy it.

Now on to learning more about VST and VSTi. I know a little, but need to grow. My first exposure was soft synths, and I had a Prophet 5, a B3 and a Roland Jupiter as well as the standard Cakewalk TSS set, so I have SOME knowledge but need to gather more plug-ins AND more knowledge about using them.

As I said since I started (whining) on the forums, I am a hacker first. I want to push things to their limit and then break the rules. Make things work in a way outside of how they were intended. (I still remember how many people told me my Texas Instruments computer would never work with hard drives. Until the day I walked into a monthly grop meeting with a 40 mb hard drive attached and running.) That is what got more people trying multiple outputs. seeing the crashes, and realizing "Hey, there's a bug", which PG Music promptly fixed! That put the MOTU thing to rest. It's still there is I want it, but now I start to gather knowledge in another area, digital mixing and production.

After all of that, THEN comes the musician who wishes he could sing better.....

And once again, I sing the praises of this company. Above and beyond. Sonar typically tells you to read the manual....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Now on to learning more about VST and VSTi. I know a little, but need to grow. My first exposure was soft synths, and I had a Prophet 5, a B3 and a Roland Jupiter as well as the standard Cakewalk TSS set, so I have SOME knowledge but need to gather more plug-ins AND more knowledge about using them.

Eddie, I would recommend that before going off into more VSTi, you try to think about what it is that you don't have in your arsenal that you are looking for from a sound/timbre standpoint.

I'm guessing you would like electromechanical keyboards like tonewheel organs and electric pianos and clavinet sounds. Do not pass up the freeware versions of B3 and various electric pianos from GSi. http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=37

Those are my go-to softsynths for those types of sounds. I actually have the payware versions of VB3 and Mr. Ray's 73 which I won in song contests at KVRaudio.com

I have a couple other soft synths that I use regularly, but if you already have a couple of Prophet synths, you are likely not going to use the others that I would recommend.

VST - I have a boatload of those, but I regularly use less than 20 of my arsenal. A couple of go-to reverbs, delays, filters, dynamics and modulation effects. I use quite a bit of the effects that come built-in with Tracktion, that are not VST.

Have fun and let's hear some tunes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah, Scott, I don't use a lot of "synthy" sounds. Growing up on the music I grew up with, my sound palette is pretty basic, like the huge Hammond organ sounds in Pink Floyd kind of music and the natural pianos, with the occasional Rhodes and Werlizter thrown in, all things I have owned in my life.

Mainly my music will continue to come from RB anyway, and the stuff I get from there is really strong.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,556
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163