Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
WienSam Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

That's what I am being called here now - the Karaoke King. 'Nah und?' (as they say in German and it sure don't mean 'wonderful', in fact it means the exact opposite)

Ok. So I gave not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 free gigs for the people in rehab. My gift to the institute. The only way I could offer something in return for them helping me. The 'patients' loved it. I was more than amazed, not only at the attendance but also at the number of people who genuinely wanted to be involved (and I am talking about my karaoke show). Really!

It started as a 2 hour show and built and built...

The first time that it became apparent that I would not run this show, in less than 24 hours there was a petition with over 180 signatures DEMANDING I run my karaoke show.

Oh MFG, I offer. Who gives a *****?! They are still censoring personal expression, even now

Around here, to mention that word 'karaoke' is the kiss of death amongst my pro music friends. They mock me. They tease me. BUT... Something GOOD is going on here (apart from me sitting at home getting drunk all on my own)

People WANT to sing. Singing IS therapy. Singing makes one feel a part of the community and even, sometimes, a bit special. Karaoke gives you that with a backing band and background harmonies.

Still, there is the possibility that I might actually run a weekly karaoke show in a rehab centre. I mean, this is serious BIG TIME and should be reported worldwide. The people there absolutely love it! Karaoke IS music therapy. Challenge me if you think otherwise

Sad. Isn't it?

Well, here we go. Its my own damn fault...

Wasting away again in Margaritaville

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
If you are enjoying it and they are enjoying it, who gives a rip what it is called. Have fun.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Who cares what your so called "pro" friends think, Sam? Pro what? Working in a coffee house for tips or making fifty bucks or even two hundred on a Friday night in some bar or club? That's a career? No, it's not. Most of us here have full time jobs or are full time retired. If we gig, it's part time for fun. When you're only playing for fun and a bit of extra spending cash, you can afford to be picky and make statements like karaoke is crap but if you're actually trying to make a living, trying to keep yourself out of the gutter playing music then it's called whatever works, baby.

My sister is a killer karaoke singer. She competed first in local clubs and won quite a few hundred dollar first places and then competed in a big regional karaoke contest a few years ago. She made it to eighth place out of about a hundred or so. We all went to see the show and it was a real show in a hotel ballroom. About 5-600 people I think. Full stage with lights and a big sound system with a sound engineer. Each act had their own set decorations on the stage. Nothing amateurish about it. The top three winners were really good performers, they could front a lot of bands. Good singers and dancers, everybody had full costumes and some even had backup dancers doing routines.

I've sat in a few bars and watched karaoke singers, most are bad, a few are pretty good. The bad ones are so bad it's funny and some of those know they're bad and don't care if everyone laughs at them so that makes it even funnier. The good ones are ok to listen to so it's not a bad thing imo. All that matters is there's an audience who's having a good time and in spite of my wishing for more live band venues, that's a good thing.

You need this my friend, I think it's great for you.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 05/21/12 06:38 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I totally agree with PRearden and Bob. So what if you get teased as long as it makes you and the recipients happy who cares? Keep on making them/you happy.

I am a terrible singer but was lucky enough to have our local bar-in-the-woods KJ play my original Karaoke tunes as I tried to sing along. I know many laughed but a few quite enjoyed them especially when the KJ announced that the songs were MY originals.

Thanks to BIAB for making that possible.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Off-Topic
WienSam Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

a few quite enjoyed them especially when the KJ announced that the songs were MY originals.

Thanks to BIAB for making that possible.

Hear, hear.

Thanks guys. I can't find a band to front even though I'm a damned great singer (although I say it myself). If it weren't for that fact, I would never have found BIAB. I love it! Thank you, Peter Gannon

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
regarding the title of your thread:

I strongly disagree that everyone hates karaoke. Many MUSICIANS aren't crazy about it, but the population in general seems to love the fact that it gives ordinary people a moment in the spotlight.

This desire is so prominent in human nature that I believe a person could make a good living with a travelling karaoke show, charging people a few bucks to perform, and awarding a prize to the winner at the and of the evening. People would stay to see who won, the club owner would appreciate the business, and the award would serve as positive reinforcement... so people will keep coming back ("behavior that is rewarded tends to be repeated")

It should be easy to arrange venues for this because all businesses are constantly looking for new ways to draw customers. They don't have to do anything or pay anything. All you have to do is provide the PA, a player and maybe some spotlights. The contestants would be responsible for providing their own backing tracks... or you could maintain a library of favorites.

It's foolish to dismiss a good idea simply because 100% of other people don't agree that it's a good idea. McDonald's is one of the most successful franchises in recent history, yet lots of people hate it. Nevertheless, they continue raking in the bucks.

Off-Topic
WienSam Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have to agree with you, Pat. Try explaining that to the people around Vienna though. The bars won't pay. The people won't pay. I'm not a charity and all my equipment (PA, mics, stands, monitors, etc) plus the literally thousands of professional CDG tracks in my collection didn't fall out of the sky. Add to that my experience, my ears, my sound engineering skills and my 'old school' thousands of DJ tracks (normal music in other words - I don't scratch or mix on-the-fly). And just how do I get people to pay up?

I have tried getting the bar to pay me because it attracts custom - they won't
I have tried 'sing your song for €1' - the people won't pay it

I have even had people arrogantly turn to me and tell me that I should pay them to sing, not the other way round!

Mind you, it was different before the eco-crisis. At least then I managed to get the odd occasional wedding, private party or corporate function. Now? Nothing

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I strongly disagree that everyone hates karaoke. Many MUSICIANS aren't crazy about it, but the population in general seems to love the fact that it gives ordinary people a moment in the spotlight.

And I strongly disagree with your strong disagreement.

In my experience, most people who like karaoke alsi like hockey for the fights and NASCAR for the crashes. They go to laugh at the terrible singers that comprise 99% of a karaoke night. When you need to fill up on liquid courage to go up and sing, usually after your equally drunken friends goad you into it, just stay off the stage.

That being said, isn't a solo or duo using canned tracks pretty much just a closed session karaoke night?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"That being said, isn't a solo or duo using canned tracks pretty much just a closed session karaoke night?"

Why don't you try doing it, then revisit your opinion.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

And I strongly disagree with your strong disagreement.

In my experience, most people who like karaoke alsi like hockey for the fights and NASCAR for the crashes. They go to laugh at the terrible singers that comprise 99% of a karaoke night. When you need to fill up on liquid courage to go up and sing, usually after your equally drunken friends goad you into it, just stay off the stage.

That being said, isn't a solo or duo using canned tracks pretty much just a closed session karaoke night?

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie...
the key word in my statement is EVERYONE. Except for death and taxes there's very little that applies to everyone. To disagree with my statement is to postulate that EVERYBODY (the whole human race) hates karaoke. That is clearly not true, or there wouldn't be so many karaoke CDs for sale everywhere.

as you can see on the WHOLE WORLD-O-METER, there is a high number of haters, but the meter ain't pegged

______________________/_______

(meters help us understand life)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just composed a long neutral reply, hit the wrong key, and it went off to the ozone layer. I'll hafta rest a bit before typing my verbosity again.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have often compared BIAB-generated music to karaoke. 'Splain the difference. Rather than singing to a canned band we play or sing.

I was going to jump in on "Music Therapy." Her doctor told me, personally, that my playing music for a 93 year-old near catatonic patent (she could still move one foot in time to the music in perfect time, BTW) may be keeping her alive. Perhaps not Rap or Acid Rock but most soothing piano music lowers the BP, heart rate, and anxiety level to a provable degree. I am known as "The Music Ma

I have a new catatonic friend whom I have just started playing music for today. She can only blink her eyes voluntarily so my first goal is to teach her eye-blink communication.

Who said old, flatulent Irishmen don't enjoy stuff?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, the key phrase in my reply is "In my experience, most people who like karaoke also like hockey for the fights and NASCAR for the crashes."

I know people like karaoke, but my point is that having been to a number of them, a large part of the crowd is there to laugh at the juke box and shower stall heros who stink the place out. If people want to hear good singing and be entertained, do you think karaoke is their first choice or would they be more inclined to go see a band with singers who have been there before?

Hey, people can like what they like. It makes me sad to see people make fun of something I hold as dearly as I hold music. Music is a craft and it's hard work, and when I see people making fun of it I get sad and just leave.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Pat, the key phrase in my reply is "In my experience, most people who like karaoke also like hockey for the fights and NASCAR for the crashes."

I know people like karaoke, but my point is that having been to a number of them, a large part of the crowd is there to laugh at the juke box and shower stall heros who stink the place out. If people want to hear good singing and be entertained, do you think karaoke is their first choice or would they be more inclined to go see a band with singers who have been there before?

Hey, people can like what they like. It makes me sad to see people make fun of something I hold as dearly as I hold music. Music is a craft and it's hard work, and when I see people making fun of it I get sad and just leave.

so.. who's making fun of music?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Am I typing too fast?

Karaoke audience member who go there to see people make fools of themselves by abusing music are making fun of music. My craft. And yours. And they are making fun of it. Music is sacred and deserves respect.

I'm out of this one.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Am I typing too fast?

Karaoke audience member who go there to see people make fools of themselves by abusing music are making fun of music. My craft. And yours. And they are making fun of it. Music is sacred and deserves respect.

I'm out of this one.

OK I have to jump in here

There are some extremely talented singers around here who sing to Karaoke. Why? Because there are no longer any bands around here because the bars do not hire bands anymore. Many of vocalists around here are musicians, mostly guitarist, but again no band to play with ‘cause no place to play for pay.

Having said that I will add that finding a gem vocalist at a Karaoke bar is like finding one on youtube. You must listen to 1000s of them to find the one gem, at least that has been my experience.

One last point, you might be surprised how many musicians around here scorn at me because I use BiaB. “That’s not music” I’ve been told. I’ve even played them songs with RTs and they loved it, until I tell them its BiaB. Then they pick it apart.

So what is the difference between singing to Karaoke and tracks made in BiaB?

Duck and running for cover

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Simon,
just do what you like and you`ll be happy for the rest of your life. There will always be people mocking you. Just like they mock me when I say that I like Eros Ramazzotti or ABBA. - you know as ajazz musician you are not "allowed" to like pop bands. Who gives a damn...

Enjoy your music, enjoy your life
And congrats on the successful rehab!

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How is everybody missing my point?

It's the CROWDS at karaoke I hate, thus by extension, I hate karaoke events in general.

I played hockey. Hockey is about skating, balance, finesse, handling a round puck on the end of a curved stick while skating 20-23 miles per hour, dodging large men trying to knock you down. Yet 19,500 fans out of 19,800 fans attend games to see fights.

NASCAR is about endurance, driving skills, reacting to quick changes at 200 miles per hour. Yet most of the fans go to see crashes.

There is an occasional decent singer at karaoke. Most of the people attending are there to laugh at the bad ones who think they CAN sing. That is cruel to the bad singer, and an insult to music.

Music, which as I said, is sacred and must be respected, not ridiculed.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Am I typing too fast?

Maybe people are reading to fast and missing the point. To start with, the name of this thread is, "I know YOU hate karaoke (everybody does)" I think that says it all.

I love the NASCAR thing. Only with Karaoke, there seems to be a wreck every lap. In my opinion, Karaoke is a night of torture, 3 or 4 minutes at a time.

It's just my opinion. It's not the gospel and no one has to agree with me.

Wayne,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

How is everybody missing my point?

you're communicating just fine. You know this crowd... we like to stir the kettle to see what floats to the top.

Quote:

Yet 19,500 fans out of 19,800 fans attend games to see fights. <snip>

NASCAR is about endurance, driving skills, reacting to quick changes at 200 miles per hour. Yet most of the fans go to see crashes.

are you arguing a point... with fabricated statistics??? You presume those things to be true, and that affects your reaction. Your outrage appears to be real, but it's not so clear whether or not the focus of your outrage is even accurate. Here in the south it seems that everybody is a Nascar fan. They know the drivers by name, often the names of their families too. They are genuinely upset when their heroes crash.

Quote:

There is an occasional decent singer at karaoke. Most of the people attending are there to laugh at the bad ones who think they CAN sing.

this has not been my observation at all. What I've seen over and over again at Karaoke and open mic places where multiple people are putting their egos on the line is an uncommonly supportive group, often because the vast majority of people in attendance at such events are either participants or friends of participants. Its a lot like the user showcase here. The vast majority of comments are encouraging, and the occasional blooper is more inclined to make people cringe rather than laugh.

I believe you have seen the scenario play out differently, but I'll bet you were with a bunch of musicians, and they were the ones who laughed when somebody crashed and burned... because musicians generally don't like karaoke and therefore want it to fail. But birds of a feather flock together. As a general rule, people who hate something stay away, and people who don't stay away probably like it.

Quote:

That is cruel to the bad singer...

anyone who willingly gets up in front of a crowd has implicitly accepted the crowds response. Its the essence of liberty. I'm at liberty to make a fool of myself, and you're at liberty to laugh at me. It's not quite the same as the poor kid in elementary school who gets laughed at for reasons that are out of his control. That *IS* cruel.

Quote:

... and an insult to Music, which as I said, is sacred and must be respected, not ridiculed.

Eddie... that's your OCD rule. The world at large does not see music as sacred, any more than they see the product of any other profession as sacred. You don't have to like it, but you can't really control the rules by which the rest of the world "must" live and think.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173