Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Sorry to bug you all again, but I have a singer that wants to do "Moondance" (Van Morrison)...

Is there any way to enter the chords for the last 4 bars of the ending with the triplet-pattern like the original? I did a search on "triplets" across all the PG_forums and didn't get any hits. (I also did a search on the Yahoo/BiaB group to see if anyone else has asked about this, and also came up dry...)

Thanks!

"You play pretty good--for a girl."
Veteran
Veteran

John Conley
Musica est vita
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
That looks like it would work if I was A) using MIDI, and B) entering the entire chord structures as sheet-music/piano voicings. There doesn't appear to be any way to tell the RealTracks to just play the written chord-symbols as quarter-note triplets... Unless I'm missing something...

But thanks. I didn't think there was a way to do what I wanted to do.

Veteran
Veteran
Try swing feel. There are also styles that have this built in. Keep plugging, someone will know. Maybe Matt or Mac.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I don't spend any time trying to get RealTracks to play a particular figure; I write it into the MIDI track(s) and, if needed, mute the appropriate RealTrac(s) at that place.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I don't typically spend a lot of time trying to nail certain things such as this when laying out a song in BiaB. Such usually doesn't make a very good presentation IMO.

Instead, I might take a look at doing it some other way that the program does well, or, if insisting on the use of RealTracks especially, might leave that kind of thing for me to play on the keyboard during the performance rather than having the BiaB accompaniment try to nail something that the Style is not really programmed to do.

There are literally countless ways to end that song that will work fine.

But if faced with a singer who cannot live without the special thing, it may well be time to forego use of Realtracks and find a good MIDI file of the song that is basically note-for-note and load that instead. That, coupled with a great sounding MIDI synth, can turn in a good performance as well.

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I ended up just representing the last five chords with "..." after them, and I'll play the triplets myself, and just let BiaB play the downbeats...In the end it was just easier.

It's one of those things BiaB just doesn't do well... triplets, ritards, holds, etc. But, there are so many things that it does that just blow me away, that I can live with that.

Veteran
Veteran
I'd export it as a MIDI file, import it into a MIDI sequencer (or use Real Band) and use a MIDI controller to enter the triplets by playing them.

That's the easiest way for me, of course there are other ways to do it.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks, Bob...But:

A) I don't have a MIDI sequencer

B) Every time I try to fool with RealBand I give up in frustration within an hour. (NEVER have I seen a product that is probably so feature-rich, that is so woefully undocumented and difficult to understand for someone who is not already MIDI-savvy...And yes, I printed out the entire User's Guide and put it in a binder, and while I'm sure it's great for someone who already understands MIDI, what I would like to see is "An Idiot's Guide to RealBand" that steps you through some basic processes until you can get up to speed.)

C) Since I'm a guitar-player, it's not likely that I'll acquire some way to play things into BiaB to accomplish what I need.

I'm sure "it's easy--if you know how", but I find RealBand too complicated to deal with. (But I'd sure be the first one to buy a good book on it!) hint, hint...

Veteran
Veteran
There are simpler sequencers out there than Real Band. True they don't have as many features, but that might be why they are easier to use.

I'd love to recommend one, but the one I use is very old. I use a pre-Win95 version of Master Tracks Pro. When GVox bought the program from Passport, they introduced a lot of bugs, and they still haven't fixed them. So I use the old program. Works fine except for the 8.3 file name restriction.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a very simple, basic MIDI sequencer that is extremely easy to use. I'm sure L.J. would appreciate it.

There are zillions of things you can do in a MIDI sequencer to take the already very good output of Band-in-a-Box and turn it into something truly excellent. The two apps go together quite well.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I don't have a MIDI sequencer

Quote:

and while I'm sure it's great for someone who already understands MIDI, what I would like to see is "An Idiot's Guide to RealBand" that steps you through some basic processes until you can get up to speed.

Real Band is a midi sequencer and one of the best out there. The fact you don't know that means you need some basic education. Nothing wrong with that, not making fun or anything everyone starts somewhere including me about 8 years ago. I knew squat about it as well. There is no such thing as an idiots guide to RB because its assumed you as the user already know the basics about midi. It's like buying a car but you never took a drivers ed lesson and don't have your license yet. Or you go to Home Depot and buy $2,000 worth of nice carpenters tools but you've never swung a hammer in your life. Is it the responsibility of Honda to teach you how to drive or HD to teach you woodworking skills? Obviously not and it's the same here.

What you have to do is the same thing I did years ago. Just start working it and read these forums. By read I don't mean just post questions I mean read every thread for the last year or so. You will not only learn stuff you'll find all kinds of very good resources that people have posted links to that you'll never find if you don't start going through old threads.

No other way Lady unless you want to take a formal course in digital audio production at your local community college and that's not a bad idea btw.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...Every time I try to fool with RealBand I give up in frustration within an hour. (NEVER have I seen a product that is probably so feature-rich, that is so woefully undocumented and difficult to understand for someone who is not already MIDI-savvy...And yes...>>>

Yes the RB documentation does seem to assume a knowledge of the basics. I had to learn from a 3d-party manual, somthing like "MIDI for Dummies." You can get it from the public library.

There is a set of songs that come with Band-in-a-box that is good to learn on. Look for the folder called C:\BB\50songs. Open these up in RB, then look at the melody in the notation window. Drag the notes around and right click to see and manipulate the properties of the notes.

You should be able to hear the changes you are making to the notes. If that's not working, call PG tech support.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> There are simpler sequencers out there than Real Band

Sure, but they don't have the features you need. For example, the sequencer that Bob talks about doesn't handle audio at all, so would be useless for a project like this that is full of audio (RealTracks). By analogy, Notepad is a great word processor, unless you want different fonts or bolded text in your document.

RealBand would be ideal for your project, you could copy and paste chunks of audio to create the rhythm effect that you want for the ending.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
R
Expert
Expert
R
Ray Thigpen had a good tutorial on RealBand. I think he is no longer with us but someone may have a copy of it they could link to.

Veteran
Veteran
This is a little long, please bear with me.

For audio I almost always use Power Tracks Pro Audio, and I'm getting to know Real Band. They are excellent tools.

I'm weird, I prefer to do all my MIDI work first on an uncluttered interface with no sub-menus or sub-menus to the sub-menus. It allows me to keep my hands on my instruments more (keyboard, wind MIDI controller, or percussion MIDI controller) and on the mouse and/or computer keyboard less. This is what I like about MT Pro. Every function can be accessed by a drop down menu with no sub-menus. Click the menu bar, click the selection and the dialog box opens. MTPro also has a very easy to use groove filter (they call it a change filter) but that's the subject for another post.

Then after all my MIDI work is done, I'll import it into PT Pro Audio and start with the audio. Of course there will still be some MIDI tweaks to done in PT Pro as the audio gets layerd, but the most time consuming MIDI parts will be already taken care of in a MTPro environment that is uncluttered by audio.

But that's my own personal work flow. Others prefer to work with both at the same time. Neither way is right or wrong. Now that I'm using Real Tracks a bit, I'm doing more work in RB but if I start something from scratch, it's always MTPro first.

Some people like all in one tools, some prefer separate tools for separate functions. Could be how our brains are "wired" by our previous experiences, could be just how we naturally approach things. I think anyone who works with tools whether they are digital or mechanical has their own preferred way of working. As long as the result is good (in our case the music), who cares which tool got it there?

Interfaces in different MIDI/Audio sequencers are different too, even though they pretty much perform the same functions. I learned on a couple of different sequencers before I found MTPro, and immediately bonded with that one. It seemed to "think" about music the same way I did. I have a friend who is a whiz at Cubase, I find the Cubase interface non-intuitive for me. Neither one is wrong and both are right.

Personally, I think a sequencer and DAW are natural partners with BiaB. And with Real Band you get all three in one.

Out of the box, BiaB's output can be somewhat generic. And that's the way it should be. By request, I once wrote a style for the Elvis Presley song, "Don't Be Cruel". It worked pretty well but when I tried using the style on other songs,that signature lick just made everything sound like a variation to "Don't Be Cruel". For the amount of time I spent creating that style, I could have finished the song in a MIDI sequencer two or three times over.

So when you take the somewhat generic output of BiaB and then tweak it in a sequencer, DAW or Real Band, you can get things like those triplets you talked about in Moondance. Whether the edits are song-specific or they come out of your head, you can take the already very good output of BiaB and turn it into something truly outstanding.

While DAW work can seem overwhelming at first, you can learn a little at a time and before you know it you will be a wizard. Get an entry level book on MIDI or search the 'net for lessons and you will be on your way. You mentioned that you play guitar, I would also recommend a MIDI controller so you can input MIDI as well as audio into your work. An inexpensive MIDI keyboard will do the trick. Korg sells these little USB things that are about as wide as a laptop that should be good enough for casual MIDI entering, especially for someone who doesn't yet have keyboard skills. On the other hand, a full sized MIDI keyboard controller would be a nice addition of skills to your guitar playing.

I started out on drums, quickly moved to saxophone, and for years it was my only instrument. I messed around on guitar and bass a bit while in bands, learning bass or rhythm parts to particular songs and then added some one-handed keyboard 'doubling' when necessary. But I didn't consider myself a player of these instruments. As the years went by I got better at them and my interest grew. In time, without any noticing of it happening, I became able to gig with them and actually did from time to time.

But the best part about picking up another instrument is learning how that instrument expresses itself. This increases your understanding of music in general and your 'home' instrument playing actually gets better. I play about 1/3 sax, guitar and with synth on the gig with a little flute and percussion controller thrown in (I leave the keyboard at home although I used to bring it). Learning keyboard and guitar helped my sax playing more than I can measure.

The same thing happened when I started sequencing back in the 1980s on my Atari computer. By adding instrument parts I didn't know how to play (trumpet, harmonica, or whatever) I first had to learn to listen to recordings of those instruments, and then emulate what I could in the sequencer. This taught me a lot about how those other instruments express themselves, and again all this improved my sax, guitar, bass, flute, wind synth, and keyboard synth playing. But the biggest bonus to that is it also increased my enjoyment of listening to music. And that is a gift that is worth its weight in gold.

So while it may seem overwhelming at first, take it a little at a time. Learn some simple skills first and build on them. If you take it in small, manageable chunks, before you know it, you will be good at it, and I guarantee it will help your guitar playing and increase your enjoyment while listening to music.

You already have Real Band, so it won't even cost you anything to start.

And of course, enjoy the adventure!

Insights and incites by Notes

Veteran
Veteran
You admit to being weird but you put forward this 'idea' to tell us all to 'get weird too?'

As for me I'm wired. It's a letter short.

Just don't go for a short in your wiring.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you all for not "beating up on me"... I REALLY want to learn, but as I said, after about an hour I get frustrated and just give up.

(FYI, I DID find a copy of "MIDI for Dummies" on Amazon, (Used: $7.26)... I just ordered it.)

I REALLY want to take my knowledge to the "next level", and now that I just retired from my day-gig, and have gone back to music full-time, I have even MORE motivation to continue that learning process.

I'm starting to get a pretty nice rotating set of gigs with just ME and the computer, and on a regular basis I get asked "What are you using?", and of course I point them to BiaB. Since I "think" like a jazz guitar player, my tracks are obviously infused with a lot the extensions/enhancements that I play when I'm gigging; i.e., Xb5#9, Xm11, etc. I spend time learning all of the new RT styles and instruments, and constantly look forward to the new releases which only enhance my 'vocabulary' with track-creation. (It's also obvious that I appear to be one of the few people in the Denver market doing what I'm doing, which has the added advantage of making it rather "unique", and people notice...)

By the way, PeterG, if you happen to read this, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work, creativity and obvious love of the product that goes into it. It shows...And it's appreciated.

So, as I say, thanks to you all for not "pouncing on me" for what I personally feel is my own "ignorance"--which I'm trying to rectify. As a "retirement-age" still-gigging jazz musician, I'm finally at that point that I always wanted to be: retired, not having to split my time with a day-gig, (which, admittedly was something I basically did to "support my 'music-habit'..."), and now free to pursue my music again full-time.

I still long for some kind of "Idiot's Guide to RealBand" from the folks who REALLY know how to use it...But in the meantime, I'll continue to try to dig it out as best I can.

(Side comment to "Notes" Norton: I always read your posts on the Yahoo Groups, and you always take the time to give great comments...I don't always agree with them, but I ALWAYS read them because you have valid things to say, and agree or not, they're worth reading...)

So there, I've finished going all "Kumbaya" on you guys...

Veteran
Veteran
These forums are the Idiot's Guide to RealBand and Biab, there are some incredible users here!
I think you play incredible Guitar for any gender! Post some Please!

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Kind of you to say... I'm still working on finding a way to lay some solo tracks down on top of the BiaB tracks I've created so I can upload them to my website. I'm almost there. I would like to share some of the stuff I've been doing someday...

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

You admit to being weird but you put forward this 'idea' to tell us all to 'get weird too?'

As for me I'm wired. It's a letter short.

Just don't go for a short in your wiring.

BTW, I'm proud to be weird!

Quote:

Thank you all for not "beating up on me"... I REALLY want to learn, but as I said, after about an hour I get frustrated and just give up.

This forum is full of novice to experts, and we don't beat up on people very often at all

Plus everybody contributes what they can, and the novice can teach the expert a thing or two. I know when I was teaching sax, my students taught me a few things. Nobody knows it all.

Take things a bit at a time. Remember, you didn't learn jazz tunes on the guitar the first day, you probably started with those simple Mel Bay type exercises. Working with a DAW should be easier to learn than the guitar, because you will be taking a lot of theory and musical knowledge with you. You don't need to learn that all over again, just how to apply it to the sequencer.

Quote:

I REALLY want to take my knowledge to the "next level", and now that I just retired from my day-gig, and have gone back to music full-time, I have even MORE motivation to continue that learning process.

Good for you. One nice thing for me about music, is that there is always something new to learn. And the more I learn, the more I find I need to know. It keeps it an adventure instead of something boring.

Quote:

(Side comment to "Notes" Norton: I always read your posts on the Yahoo Groups, and you always take the time to give great comments...I don't always agree with them, but I ALWAYS read them because you have valid things to say, and agree or not, they're worth reading...)

Thanks for the kind words. And agreeing is not mandatory I am a loudmouth, opinionated, but always willing to help. One thing I often say is that there is more than one right way to make music. And while my way may be right for me, it is never going to be right for everybody.

Quote:

By the way, PeterG, if you happen to read this, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work, creativity and obvious love of the product that goes into it. It shows...And it's appreciated.

I've got to add a big +1 to that one.

BiaB is a great product, and Peter and the people who work with him are always pleasant and provide great support. It's the reason why there is no real competition to BiaB. Keep up the great work PG!!!

And I don't always agree with what they do, but I appreciate all they do. The things that I disagree with are there for other people to enjoy.

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,689
Posts736,029
Members38,541
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
lannguyen, hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez
38,541 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 178