Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The song I am working on now is going to require 3 seperate drum grooves. One on the verse, another on the bridge and another on the chorus. The first should have an 8th note hi hat ride with sidestick on 1 2 3 and 4 in almost a backbeat feel. Then the bridge will open up to ride cymbal with snare only on 4, and then some standard 2 and 4 pattern for the chorus. Am I going to need to create 3 different drum tracks and then delete the sections I don't want? I can't see any way to merge them onto one track since it will be three different Real Drums grooves. IF I can find the sidestick pattern I need. Is it possible?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

You should be able to create a single track. Firstly generate a single complete drum track with the first pattern. Now select the range of bars you want for the second pattern, choose and new drum beat and generate the new drum beat. One of RBs strengths is its ability to partially generate. If you look at the RB tutorial video, you'll see Peter Gannon explaining partial (re)generation using Realtracks.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ah. I thought once a track was assigned to a "pattern" and a Real Drums "number" (like a Real Band instrument clip sample) it would stay that forever. Looks like I have a lot of listening to various Real Drums in my immediate future.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
One track can be used however the name of the RD part will be called whatever the last RD style you used BUT just rename it to whatever you like.
BTW Eddie could you start one of those long winded ,controversial threads? I'm really ready to go out of my mind with boredom & being alone for so long at a stretch.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
With 48 tracks to play with, why do you care that they are all on the same track? Once you mix down to WAV, no one will know the difference. That way, you can adjust volume and other parameters separately for each drum sequence (which you may need to do).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

BTW Eddie could you start one of those long winded ,controversial threads? I'm really ready to go out of my mind with boredom & being alone for so long at a stretch.

Hey, I post. It's up to them to answer.....

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Biab midi drum parts are way easy to make.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Biab midi drum parts are way easy to make.

And so are RealDrum styles.Get the Mick Fleetwood or any other drummer loop set and make your own styles to add to the arsenal.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Can I make styles from my audio clips I play into a tune?

I set up my drum machine last night to play a pattern and recorded like 2 million measures of it. Funny thing was that in order to make the metronome in RB match the clock of the drum machine I had to set RB at 126 and the Roland at 124. It stayed in sync for maybe 48-50 measures and then one of them drifted, but I can't tell which one.

Can I save that drum track out as a WAV and use it for a drum style later? I know I can always import that WAV as track one and go from there, but that seems like kind of cheating. The drum machine doesn't sound as good as the RB Drums overall, but I can't find anything close to what I need for this particular song in RB.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Eddie
Often I'll find a BIAB midi style with a good drum pattern (you can edit and change them in BIAB) and tweak the patterns - much the same as you are doing with the Drum machine. Then when I move the BIAB file to RB I'll keep the midi track and also search for a good RD style. I'll split off Kick and Snare to separate tracks and then mix/slide them behind the RD track just enough to add a bit more punch to the RD sound.

With my hearing it's a way to avoid drum eq'ing - I figure someone with good ears has already taken time developing algorithms for midi sounds, and someone has already eq'ed the RDs - so I'll just add the compression, midi kick and snare voices come in light medium and heavy voices.

Good luck with it - takes time. eh? Like the brand name hook - "we will serve no wine before it's time."

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
See, this is where I get lost when you talk about MIDI tracks. They are audio tracks to my eyes and ears and not using MIDI in any way. What I MAY end up doing for these songs is just playing my drum machine patterns in and recording the whole song that way and then play everything live over it. I had a bear of a time trying to keep a drum machine in sync with RB last night.

Now, I can pull different drum parts out and make them either solo tracks or edit them? Huh? I can do that? If I can get a good kick and hat track, I can fill in the rest with the Roland 707 I have. I would keep a decent kick and hat track forever and use it often.

I really wish I had more time to play with this. 40 a week job and an half hour drive each way every day.... by the time I get home and spend some time with the dog, make her dinner, make MY dinner... it's 7:30 and I am tired and nodding off....

Stinks getting old.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You need to sync RB to the drum machine (or vice versa) so they use the same clock.
No more drifting.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So I take it that one of the many things I don't know about RB is that it does MIDI clock. I never had a reason to look into that. So out of my interface into my drum machine and the computer will send the pulses to the drum machine.... Been so long since I did that that I don't remember when I did it last, and if the drum machine did the clock or the synth that had the sequencer in it. I think it was the Ensoniq ESQ-1 but I'm not sure. That'd be like 1991 and that was followed by 16 years of retirement.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You need some basic midi education just like I suggested to LadyJazzer in the Biab thread. Midi is great assuming and this is big, you have a good midi sound source. I've posted at least twenty times over the last couple of years that for drum tracks in RB I will use both midi and RD's each on it's own track. I may have 5 or 6 going but not active all at once, lol. Use the mute or solo buttons and check each one out as your tune is playing. Many times on certain tunes I'll have a midi drum track that I copied from a midi file that I downloaded along with a RD track but usually not a full kit track. I tend to use the RD percussion tracks with a full midi drum kit track. Midi is how you insert song specific drum fills and punches into an otherwise great sounding RD track. The Yamaha Studio kit in my Jamstix drum module sounds almost exactly like a lot of the RD's. They blend perfectly.

For now just create a Biab midi drum track, it generates almost instantly, set up your Ensoniq to play it and then try mixing and blending some RD's using the mute buttons. You'll soon see what I'm talking about.

I know you're setting up your new digital mixer so once you can tell you have several good drum tracks to work with, drag the thing to Sonar and use your automation to mix them. With the tools you have don't worry about having too many different drum tracks. You could have tracks 20-30 nothing but drums, who cares? You have virtually unlimited tracks to play with and then if there's something missing you just have to have, create it in RB and drag it over. No need to mess around cutting and pasting or using gain changes, none of that. Your automation in Sonar will do that effortlessly.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The MIDI is not the issue. Implementing it in THIS application is new to me.

My rig for years was 3 keyboards, 3 modules, which all ran through an MX-8 MIDI patch bay. That thing has 50 presets, and I used 22 of them. Each preset sends patch information to each synth and you can route what controls what, so board A can control itself, board B and module 2 and layer those sounds. I have a Roland patch change transmitter that looks like a calculator and it sat on a calculator stand on top of my front stand, so when I wanted setup #11, I entered 11 <enter> and it sent setup 11 to the MX-8, which sent patch changes to all the sound sources. The only thing I had to watch was that I used 2 disc based samplers and needed to make sure the right disc was in the sampler. One setup sent a keyboard as controller to my drum machine, and you should have seen me trying to remember what keys sent what MIDI numbers to that drum machine! I finally had to mark the key that played the hand clap with a piece of roadie tape... I have a different MX-8 now but it isn't programmed yet. And won't be spending the time on it if I don't take on a job playing keyboards (unlikely). If I recall it took me about a week to program that box as I went through the WHOLE set list saying "Okay, what do I play on this, which patch numbers do I use, how do I route master and slave...." And it was a bear because several of them called for passages in the song where I had as many as 4 sound sources playing from one controller. For example, in Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" in the bridge I had a glass bell attack, a full string on quick attack, a second string on slower attack, and a chorus singing "aaaahhh" all playing together. And that meant changing setups DURING a song, making sure I did not have a key pressed when I hit enter or the depressed key would never get a MIDI NOTE OFF message and keep playing. When I DID make that mistake the MX-8 has an ALL NOTES OFF button that sent an OFF message to every port.

I do miss those days when I was a total geek!!!

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
'Sync source' is half way down on the options menu. A fast way is to hold 'alt' and type 'o' then 'y', let up on 'alt' and type the down arrow to select 'midi clock', hit enter and RB should sync to your drum machine.

Edit: I just realized that I'm assuming again lol (I'm assuming you can run midi from your drum machine to your computer. ).

Last edited by jim111; 06/02/12 01:31 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes Eddie
RB will either be the master MIDI clock and send it out to other devices, or it will sync to other devices.
Pay attention to whether your other devices use MTC or MIDI Sync
It will also work with SMPTE in various frame rates. I think it follows song position pointer (SPP) messages too if the other device supports it.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks guys. I can run it either direction but I will let RB be the master and the drumx be the slave. Mainly because I know how to put the drumx into "receive" mode... LOL!!

And I do remember that the Roland uses MIDI Sync. Is that yet another parameter in RB? (I am not at that computer to check it....)

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes.
There is MTC and MIDI Sync mode in the options-preferences-MIDI-MIDI Output dialogue. However that should default to not having MIDI Time Code enabled so MIDI Sync should work.
Your drum machine may support Song Position Pointer, which is likely enabled in the same window. If so, it will start at whatever measure RB is at when you hit play; don't have to start at the beginning all the time.

The 'Options-Sync Source' selection is for choosing whther RB is the master or slave, so leave that at is (internal) so RB runs on its own clock, and it *should* just send the MIDI Sync out of the selected MIDI Output port as the default setup.
In other words it'll probably just work, as long as the MIDI out selection is the desired connection. If it doesn't, see if you have have 'reroute all MIDI to DXi Synth' enabled.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The winning combination is

SEND MIDI SPP

ZERO CONTINUOUS CONTROLLERS

SEND REALTIME MESSAGES

and NOT

SEND MIDI TIME CODE

Took a few tries and I found a bad MIDI cable, but it works.

Thanks all.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,651
Posts735,450
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176