Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There are no wrong answers. All answers will help with my project.

Those who lived through the 50s, what particular song stands out in your memory as THE one that epitomizes R&R.

This is a project assignment for my nursing home Activities Director.

TIA

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Anything by Little Richard

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Chubby Checker "The Twist"

EDIT: Oops, that was a wrong answer. Apparently "The Twist" was released in July 1960. I assume you want songs written or performed in the 50s. Time to think again...

Last edited by Matt Finley; 05/31/12 08:39 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

"Rock Around the Clock."

Certainly not the best, or my favorite, but... well, it was in a movie that all the white kids saw, so...

Brad -- My FAWM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can't narrow it down to just one! There were so many great songs from the Fifties! Short list of records my older sister played over and over and drove my parents crazy and made me want to be a musician.
Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
Rocket 88 - Jackie Brenston
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - Lloyd Price
Money Honey - Drifters featuring Clyde McPhatter
I've Got A Woman - Ray Charles
Maybellene - Chuck Berry
Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent
Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
Yakety Yak - Coasters
Love Potion No. 9 - Clovers
Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin
What'd I Say - Ray Charles
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
Rocking Pneumonia & the Boogie Woogie Flu - Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns

Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
Hi Don,

Here's my choice (and 3 extras) along with my reasons.

Didn't do the 50's teenage thing (dances, etc.); I'm not old enough. But I'm responding because the 1950's is my favorite musical decade (narrowly over the 1960's). Ironically, for me, that's because of the NON-rock 'n' roll records (many of which I think are brilliant) coupled with the energy and the great songwriting of the rock 'n' roll explosion.

Doo-***** (vocal harmony) has become my favorite genre, period.

Anyway, since you said there are no wrong answers... (!!!)

My first choice is fairly obscure (already a bad move), came late (1959), was not that big a hit (#35 Billboard peak), and is by a Canadian to boot. Though recorded in 1958, it sounds like 1956 to my ears.

It is, I think, my favorite rockabilly recording and definitely one of my all-time Top 40 recordings.

"The Way I Walk" by Jack Scott (Jack wrote the song too!)

Here are some things to recommend this record.

It's raw. Incredibly, the released version is a demo. They tried to do the "real" version, but gave up, as they couldn't match the feel of the demo. (That's ROCK 'N' ROLL!)

I much prefer the mono version of this recording to the stereo version. (I got the Jack Scott Bear Family boxed set maybe 5 years ago because of this recording. Although he had some giant hits, the boxed set is entitled "The Way I Walk", so there are others who think this is a great record.)

This record has ATTITUDE. If possible, he out-cools Elvis, and that's not easy.

("The way I walk is just the way I walk" (!!!))

It has a fantastic sax part and a fantastic guitar part (both staples of 1950's rock 'n' roll.) Bonus points for the standup acoustic bass (played by Stan Getz)!

The background vocals are perfection! The Chantones (blind Canadian guys) came up with something that is the equal of anything the Jordanaires ever did, and I've become a major fan of the Jordanaires!

Jack Scott's "The Way I Walk" has become one of my all-time Top 40 recordings.

"Rock Around The Clock" Bill Haley and the Comets (1953, #1 Billboard (1955), #1 record of 1955)

I'm tired of this, but I think it deserves consideration for a couple of reasons.

The first is its obvious historical importance to rock 'n' roll.

The second is that, given the importance of the guitar to the advent of rock 'n' roll, this recording has one of the greatest guitar solo's ever put down. Absolutely blistering. That fact that it stands up 59 years after it was recorded is astonishing.

It's easy to miss it today, given everyone's (over)familiarity with "Rock Around The Clock".

"Rock Around The Clock" is, after all, the only song to open 2 major feature films ("Blackboard Jungle" and "American Graffiti")!

My next suggestion will probably be summarily dismissed because it will be considered pop and not rock 'n' roll. Based on reading and listening, I believe in the context of that time (not now) this is incorrect. Also, it's late to the party (1959).

"Lipstick On Your Collar" Connie Francis

Here are some things to recommend it.

It's a story song, about a record hop (a 1950's staple) and it's a dance record to boot.

It's a major hit ( million seller, #5 Billboard) by a major 1950's FEMALE recording artist whose recordings were aimed at teenagers. (I think it's Connie Francis' finest recording.) The stereo version is excellent.

(Tiny reason) You can't help but laugh at the way the record begins and reflect on the lyric calling card years later of four lads from Liverpool.

(Big reason) "Lipstick On Your Collar" has the most amazing guitar solo (!!!), so it has the same guitar argument that "Rock Around The Clock" did.

(personal) George Barnes guitar solo is my all-time favorite. Not Hendrix. Not Clapton. Not Chet or James Burton. Not Les Paul. George Barnes. This one is a complete counter-melody (and it's a good one!) of chords and single notes. When you listen to it, you can clearly hear (if you're a musician) when the solo will end. There's not enough time. It sounds like he's stuck, and then he machine guns in a bunch of notes at the last instant (and they are beautiful notes)!

A couple of years ago Eric Clapton released his autobiography and I got it. In the book he mentioned George Barnes' guitar solo in "Lipstick On My Collar", among others, as guitar solos he admired and was influenced by.

The fact that he knew the name of the guitarist was telling. It took me a couple of decades (pre-internet) to find out who did it.

("Lipstick On My Collar" is one of my all-time Top 40 recordings.)

Finally,

"Sweet Little Sixteen" Chuck Berry

To me, Chuck rivals Elvis for importance in the early history of rock 'n' roll. This 1958 recording (#2 Billboard, not a million seller then) is my favorite by Chuck.

The preceding guitar argument applies (in a different form, his general guitar artistry).

The story song form and that fact that Chuck wrote it.

The fact that the story is about the 1950's rock 'n' roll youth culture.

The stops. A staple of great rock 'n' roll (and dance) records.

The influence. ("Surfing USA" was the Beach Boys' first million seller.)

("Sweet Little Sixteen" is one of my all-time Top 40 recordings.)

Probably a thousand good suggestions for you Don. But these are mine.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Don.

It's quite simple - it has to be BLUE SUEDE SHOES!

ROG.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Many music historians point the finger at either the Lionel Hampton band of the early 50s, or Louis Jordan and the Tympani Five as being where it all started.

IMO, the Rock 'n Roll idiom owes quite a bit to the Pentacostal and COGIC musicians of the previous decade as well.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow! You folks are wonderful! Excellent choices, all. Keep 'em coming.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good Golly Miss Mollie!!!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
First artist in mind was Chuck Berry (never cared much for Elvis in the early years)

and song would be "Johnny B. Goode" - his guitar riffs defined that era's rock and roll.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Runaround Sue, Dion and the Belmonts

Just good old fashioned fun.

Andrew Lloyd
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Anything by Chuck Berry. I ruined all of my early Berry albums trying to learn his leads. You old guys know what I’m talking about, needle on-scratch-needle off–scratch. IMHO if Chuck Berry were white he would have been the king of Rock and Rock.

Rumble by Link Ray is another biggie on my list.

As is Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran.

There are a ton of others, rock, blues and jazz, that I like in that era as the 50s and 60s were the best years for music for me.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>...IMO, the Rock 'n Roll idiom owes quite a bit to the Pentacostal and COGIC musicians of the previous decade as well...>>>

I have never heard of COGIC as a type of music. Are there any examples on Youtube that illustrate this style?

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Quote:

IMO, the Rock 'n Roll idiom owes quite a bit to the Pentacostal and COGIC musicians of the previous decade as well.

Having been raised in that tradition, I agree. Music was never dull. Elvis and a whole lot of others came from the Pentecostal churches and brought their music with them.

Don S.

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I was born in 54 so was pretty much a little kid through out the 50's, but there is one song that sticks out as one I use to play all the time on an old record player I had.
Hound-Dog by Elvis Presley.

Tim

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tim, I'm considerably older than you but that one evokes wonderful memories. I tried to nail down Scotty Moore's guitar break.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

>>...IMO, the Rock 'n Roll idiom owes quite a bit to the Pentacostal and COGIC musicians of the previous decade as well...>>>

I have never heard of COGIC as a type of music. Are there any examples on Youtube that illustrate this style?

COGIC = Church of God in Christ

Although the modern stuff you might find on places like YouTube nowadays is nothing like what I'm talking about that occurred in the immediate post WWII era. As with all living languages, for better or worse it has moved on as successive generations practiced the art, just like with R&R, R&B, or any other genre.

If you can find some of the old stuff, you will find that the licks, riffs, rhythms, etc. are pretty much identical to a lot of the same in early Rock 'n Roll.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How ironic . . . I played a Oldies Party today and here was my playlist in no particular order:

The Great Pretender
Only You
Blue Berry Hill
The Valley of Tears
Feel So Good (Shirley & Lee)
Blue Monday
My Girl
White Sport Coat
Spanish Harlem
When You Dance
Midnight Hour
Then You Can Tell Me Goodby
The Sea of Love
Pledging My Love
Twisting The Night Away
My Prayer
My Happyiness
Who's Sorry Now
When A Man Loves A Woman
You Must Know I love You
Shake Rattle & Roll
Maybelline
He Don't Love You
The Glory of Love
Mack The Knife
Mother In Law (Ernie K-Doe New Orleans artist)
Lost in The 50's
Still of the Night
Earth Angel

OK . . . I know not all from the 50's but don't tell my audience as I left them believing they were all 50's tunes.

later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, Danny! What a wonderful playlist! You musta played several hours with that list. I think some of those were 60s but I won't tell anyone.

"Thanks for the memories!" -- Bob Hope

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,393
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.