Page 1 of 2 1 2
#164224 06/29/12 11:17 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C

I have many songs in BIAB I tried search using the DOS command *.mgu It finds all my songs with melody but what is the DOS command that does that alphabeticly??
I tried the the other searches and I am not finding a song I know is in BIAB

John

Journeyman
Journeyman
I don't have an answer, I don't use DOS commands.

BUT - There is a great little search program called "Search Everything" (http://www.voidtools.com/) someone here revealed a while back. I just tried it for .mgu and they all popped up. Great thing is the program is very Windows Explorer-like, and the list can be sorted by column headings, like name, path, dates, all that stuff. Might be just what you need. I use it all the time to find stuff I know I have but don't know where.

Good luck

kelso

Dell Desktop XPS 8100 W10 HomePrem/64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB SATA / ViewSonic VG2428wm / EMU1616 PCI / Event ASP6 Active Monitors / BIAB 2019 64 bit (609) / Cakewalk
kelso #164226 06/29/12 01:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran
That's easy. From a command prompt, type

DIR *.MGU

This command already defaults to a listing by filename in alpha order, ascending. It is short for

DIR *.MGU /ON

And if you want them in alpha order descending, type

DIR *.MGU /O-N

And if you want to learn why,

DIR /?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
When I put in DOS cmd DIR *.MGU, came up with this answer:

Volume in C is OS
Volume Serial No. is...

Directory of C:\Users\(name)

File not found

coolblues

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

When I put in DOS cmd DIR *.MGU, came up with this answer:

Volume in C is OS
Volume Serial No. is...

Directory of C:\Users\(name)

File not found

That happened because you were searching the directory C:\Users\(name), which presumably has no song files in it. They are likely in C:\BB -- or wherever you have put them.

Really, though, Kelso's idea is a good one over the long haul. "Everything" database is a little hard to control at first, but if you hang in with it, you learn to specify the directories to search; then you find specific songs fast. Not just a huge list of .MGU but -- for example -- anything with "Baubles" or "200 BPM" in the title.

You can manage files from the program (delete, rename). You can start BiaB by clicking on the title you want to play. It's quite slick, and you needn't relapse into a DOS box.

Larry
______
allis #164229 06/30/12 09:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, if you aren't in the right folder to start, it won't work. The command you want is:

CD BB

and if the song files are on another drive, you first have to go there, like this:

F:
then CD BB
etc.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
allis #164230 06/30/12 09:50 AM
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Thanks Larry
Coolest

C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Thanks Matt!

John

kelso #164232 06/30/12 11:48 AM
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
I tried "everything" seems like a very usefull tool.

Where you named after the famous race horse? Kelso. He was one of the very best!
Coolblues

Veteran
Veteran
I could never memorize those DOS commands. I favored the Atari and the Mac back in the DOS days. My DOS 5 reference book was falling apart at the spine. Win 3.1 was a relief, Win 95 a breath of fresh air. By Win98 I hardly used my Mac anymore (and my Atari was long obsolete).

Funny, I can memorize music, but neither DOS commands nor strings of numbers.

If all my .mgu files were in the same folder, I'd simply open Windows Explorer in that folder -- click View->Arrange Icons By->Name (to alphabetize them) then click View->Arrange Icons By->Type and they would all be alphabetical folder.

Notes

Brand new 2012.5 updates from Norton Music:
  • 2 new style disks for Band-in-a-Box
  • 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Ultimate Gospel Fake Disk
  • The Real Rock Fake Disk (plenty of classic rock in this one)
  • The Beatles Fake Disk
  • And an updated Christmas Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com

Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

If all my .mgu files were in the same folder, I'd simply open Windows Explorer in that folder

That's straightforward, and it requires no extra installations. But "Everything" is still better. It's flexible enough to search a number of specified directories for specific filenames, which is generally what I need done.

If I type in "Dreamsville", for instance, I will immediately and automatically be shown several Band in a Box arrangements of it (MGU, SG7, every wretched thing), several sheet music files in PDF and graphics formats, a couple of Cakewalk files, songs from Jammer Pro, scans of fakebooks, maybe a few MP3's, MIDI files I once downloaded and forgot, and so on. Just everything with "Dreamsville" in its name. These things can be resorted in Everything, but normally there are few enough that it's comfortable just to skim down the list and select. If you can't remember which is which, you just keep opening them until you find the one you wanted. If you see you have duplicates, some can be deleted right there while you're thinking of it, or moved to the proper folder.

"Everything" is a donation-ware program that I sent a payment for, because it has been so useful for so long. The guy deserved something for it.

Larry
______
allis #164235 06/30/12 01:46 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Interestingly, none of us has mentioned the built-in BiaB song librarian for finding songs. It is by no means useless, in spite of its lack of popularity here.

But it's limited to BiaB files only, and it takes forbloodyfreakingever to rebuild when you have many BiaB files. My directories require an hour of rebuilding, and it's well to plan ahead. In its favor, it does offer extra information about the songs, if anybody ever entered any, and if you need it. I never seem to find that aspect useful, but others might.

I have virtually stopped updating that librarian and almost never use it nowadays.

Larry
______
allis #164236 06/30/12 06:24 PM
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Copy, over and out!
coolblues

C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
So, I give up. I am going to re-enter the song "How do you keep the music going" I need it for a wedding!

John

R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Perhaps redundant, but this may be of use.

Windows explorer can also be used with a wild card, and additionally filtered by. Depending on which version of Windows you have, Windows Explorer will look somewhat different. In principal though, you can do this:

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Navigate to a suitable base directory (i.e., to limit/broaden the scope of the search). If for example you wanted to search all of the 'C' drive, make sure your are at the c: drive in the navigation tree. In the search field, type *.mgu (or whatever file type you are looking for). If you're songs are saved in Documents, start there. What you will get is a search limited to all *.mgu file types.

Alternatively (in Vista/Windows 7), Click the Windows button, and then in the Search field that opens, type*.mgu. If any such files are found, they will appear in the resultant files pane. Hover over that file with the mouse pointer, and the file path will appear.

There are other methods and advance search options that can be used with Windows Explore (depending on the version of Windows) that let you further filter/sort based on columns in the files pane (you can add/remove columns from the display), so check out the Windows Explorer help. However, Windows Explorer has historically had a distinct limitation (regardless of Windows OS version). That limitation is the inability to print out or save the directory listing or search results to a text file(although Vista/Win 7 can save searches for reuse later).

One of the key advantages of using the Command window option is the ability to save directory listings and filtered (like a search) directory listings as a text file. This is especially useful if you want a saved listing of one or more directories or searches with/without filtering. It's actually quite easy.

At the risk of repetition (and no insult intended to any), here is the Command window version (XP, Vista, Win 7):

1. Open the Command Prompt window (by default, the Command Prompt window opens to user's home directory, such as C:\users\Richard in my case). If you want to begin the search elsewhere, type

cd c:\path, where for example path = bb, or users\richard\documents

2. Here's an example:

dir /s *.mgu
Volume in drive C is COMPAQ
Volume Serial Number is (will be your volume here)

Directory of C:\Users\richard\Documents\BBW\NortonMusic

06/05/2012 10:06 AM 6,413 Sweet_Home_Chicago.MGU
1 File(s) 6,413 bytes

Total Files Listed:
1 File(s) 6,413 bytes
0 Dir(s) 73,114,984,448 bytes free

The /s option used above searches all sub-directories in the specified path.

By default, files will be sorted alphabetically in ascending order. There are several other options as others have mentioned.

If you want to save the results to a text file for later use, modify the command to:

dir /s *.mgu > mylist.txt

You can then open this file with any text editor or word processor. Really, the Command line for this purpose is easy once you do it a few times. And finding a file (rather than having to re-enter the song (as in your case) is worth the few minutes it takes to get comfortable with the dir command.

Either way, you don't need a 3rd party app to do this.

Richard

C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Thank you very much

coolblues

Veteran
Veteran
The good ol' BBFinder does have an edge over the otherwise standard BB FilePicker -> BBFinder offers a convenient list over a variety of disk drives.

For your purposes the nifty BB onboard feature "File/Find File ..." may just be the ticket.

Martin
MartinB #164241 07/02/12 03:42 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

For your purposes the nifty BB onboard feature "File/Find File ..." may just be the ticket.

YES!

TRY IT OUT!

--Mac

Mac #164242 07/02/12 05:13 AM
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I have often "wishlisted" for the BIAB Songpicker to be upgraded to the level of BB Finder.

Tony

MartinB #164243 07/02/12 06:57 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Terrific! Works wonderfully. It's hard to believe I searched BiaB files for 20 years before even noticing that.

Thanks for mentioning it, Martin.

Larry
______
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,716
Posts736,396
Members38,553
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM, Ricki Susic
38,553 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181
rsdean 115
DC Ron 105
Noel96 82
dcuny 76
WaoBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.