when they are both playing together through
my jamvox. thanks for any help.Fred.

fred44 #164802 07/06/12 02:59 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Fred,

Welcome to the forums.

Can you please let us know what you would like to accomplish with BIAB and/or Audacity? Some examples that spring to mind are: using it in a live situation for public performance; recording; making music to publish on the web, etc. Once we can see what you are trying to do, it becomes a little easier to work towards solving the problem.

Reading between the lines in your post, I get the impression that you'd like to be able to record your guitar playing while BIAB is playing an accompaniment. If this is the case, I find that it is better to do this as a two step process. One: get BIAB to generate an accompaniment and then render that accompaniment as a WAV file. Two: load the WAV file (accomp.) into a track in Audacity and then record guitar on another track. Once this is done, the tracks can be merged into a single file.

If you go to the below link ...

... link to collection of videos

... scroll down to the second post by Peter Gannon (the PG in PG Music) and there is a collection of three Youtube clips put together by Shockwave199. These are a great place to get going with the product. Dan (aka Shockwave199) uses Reaper rather than Audacity but the principle is the same. For what it's worth, it is possible to download Reaper and run it indefinitely for free.

Hope this information helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #164803 07/08/12 01:11 PM
F
fred44 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
hi noel,
thank you for the link which i will take a look at next week.
yes you are right, i want to put chords down to songs i have
written with drums/bass, then record myself on guitar and my
daughter singing.
i also see from your link that i can find out how to use real band
as i have not even gone there yet, i will download reaper and see
how i go, once again thank you very much. Fred.

fred44 #164804 07/08/12 03:44 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

yes you are right, i want to put chords down to songs i have
written with drums/bass, then record myself on guitar and my
daughter singing.

Since you have Realband already, may want to start there. It integrates with BiaB files better than any other DAW.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #164805 07/08/12 04:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Fred,

I agree with rharv, Realband would be a great place to go. From what I read, you are looking to record two things. In RB, these can each have their own track and can be recorded independently. One of the big advantages of having each recording on its own track is if you need to make corrections to the track by re-recording specific sections, this can be accomplished with minimum fuss.

As rharv points out, BIAB interfaces very well with RB. It's possible to open a BIAB file directly into RB. This is the only program that does that.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #164806 07/09/12 05:24 AM
F
fred44 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
hi,
thanks to both of you for your help.
i will try real band this week, it did
crash the first time i got it up when i
tried to use it with jamvox, i will now
try it with line 6 tone port ux2,any
suggestions for what interface would work
best with biab.
also do i have to have biab running to use
real band, or can i use it on its own,
as you can see i am a bit in the dark,
but your posts are a great help to me.
thank again to you both. Fred.

fred44 #164807 07/09/12 06:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Fred,

I tend to develop my songs in BIAB because I find it easier and quicker to try out different styles, realtracks, shots, holds, pushes, etc. Then, when my arrangement has finally settled into place, I open the file in Realband.

The above being said, though, it's possible to work entirely in Realband. Entering chords into a chord grid in RB is exactly the same as entering chords in BIAB. The thing to do would be to open one of your BIAB songs in Realband and have a look at its various components.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I've read on these forums many times over the years that users sometimes feel frustrated with the learning curve encountered with BIAB and RB. That being said, the vote is pretty much unanimous that after around a week of playing around, things settle into place and the programs begin to make a great deal of sense.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #164808 07/11/12 07:25 AM
F
fred44 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
hi Noel

AT THIS POINT I WOULD LIKE TO CREATE A BACKING TRACK IN BIAB AND THEN GET IT OVER TO REAL BAND, HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT DOING THIS, AND ONCE IT IS THERE, HOW DO I RECORD IT IN REAL BAND,
SO MANY QUESTIONS HEY NOEL, DO NOT WORRY IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT TIME TO ANSWER, I WILL GET THERE IN THE END, IT'S JUST THAT MANUAL THAT COMES WITH IT IS HARD GOING FOR ME.

TAKE IT EASY,
FRED.

fred44 #164809 07/11/12 01:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Fred,

To create a backing track in BIAB, simply add a chord progression in "Chord View".

Save the song. (I use a custom directory for each of my songs rather than simply save them to the \bb folder.) When saved the song will have either an SGU or MGU extension. For example "Yesterday.sgu".

Open up Realband and navigate to the song and open it. (Realband will open files created in BIAB.) Wait about a minute while it loads and builds the tracks and then you have the song in Realband. Save it, and it will create an SEQ file (this does not open in BIAB.)

Here are some Realband video tutorials that it would be worthwhile sitting through. They will help you get a feel for how the program works.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.realband.htm

Also, if you type "Realband" (without quotation marks) into Youtube, you'll get some great videos on how to make the program fly.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #164810 07/14/12 07:12 AM
F
fred44 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
hi noel.
did what you said above,saved song with sgu,
then i opened it and opened realband but nothing happened,
should realband have done something after a minute, or do
i need to do more.thanks again. FRED.

fred44 #164811 07/14/12 07:41 AM
Veteran
Veteran
You need to start RB then go to file/open & navigate to your song that you saved. Double click and it will open. RB & BIAB are 2 independent programs and function as such.The only thing is that RB can use the files created in BIAB.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Expert
Expert
Quote:

IT'S JUST THAT MANUAL THAT COMES WITH IT IS HARD GOING FOR ME

Hi Fred - it'll fall into place. The manual has been the subject of several discussions
on these Forums - you are not alone. I've been using the programs since the mid-90s.
The weakest part is probably the need for developing a better "keywords" search.
You can't always find the logical words you search for.

Have patience, it will become clear.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ian, you are not going to make many friends in upper western New York Sate with that avatar

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #164814 07/14/12 12:51 PM
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Ian, you are not going to make many friends in upper western New York Sate with that avatar

Sorry Fred but I must answer this . . . . A-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w!

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
F
fred44 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
thanks everyone, will keep on going as i know i will get
there in the end.FRED.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,646
Posts735,424
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.