#173800 09/19/12 06:47 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
Debby Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I have been trying to install my 2012 USB version onto the F drive of a new computer and have not had any luck. It takes about 4 hours to install, everything looks to be there but when I try to open it I get all kinds of errors. I didn't write them all down (sorry) but the gist of it is the program will not open. I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong! I reformatted the new drive and started all over again. Same results, takes 4 hours and the program will not open. Any ideas on what is going on?

Veteran
Veteran
I think what has happened is that while you installed to F:, the software needs to be told that and it may be looking for C:\BB to run. The specific errors would help us decode it.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
D
Debby Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I did tell the software to install on the F drive. Some of the files are dll files. Every time it gave me a dll file missing I went to the USB drive, found it and put it in the system folder of the computer, then tried putting it in the BB root directory but it would just come up with another file missing.

I'll go back and try to get a list of all the errors I'm getting but I'm not sure if I can as it doesn't give me an error until I try to fix the previous one!

D
Debby Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
BTW, is there any way I can install just the program on the C drive and tell it to put all the tracks (drums, bass, piano, etc.) on the F drive? See the problem is the C drive is too small to install everything on, that's why I'm trying to put it on the F drive.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Debby. Yes, one of the choices from the four installation choices when you run the setup program on the external hard drive, is to put just the system-type files on drive C and keep the RealTracks and RealDrums on another drive. This is what I have done. It's not what I would call a small program that will be on drive C, but it's nothing compared to the size of the RealTracks and RealDrums. Unless you are going to be left with less than 15% free on your C drive, this choice could work for you.

Might I suggest you give PG Music Support a call? What with manually moving .DLL files to the system folder of the computer (and there are a few choices there, depending), I think it might be best if you spoke with a tech at the company.

Also, Eddie has a good point. He works in IT, and several of us know our way around PC tech. We would need to know what those error message are to be able to help you.

Good luck!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Not only that Debbie, we need the exact specs of your system, the CPU, HD size and available space, ram, all that kind of info. Otherwise you're calling a mechanic saying I'm getting error messages on my dashboard without telling him what year, make, model car it is.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Debby,

Matt's suggestion is a good one. PG Music Support would be well worth talking to regarding this.

Does the program work from the USB drive? Also, have you been using the installation file on the USB drive to install it to F (I'm assuming F is an internal drive and not another USB drive)?

One thing I've discovered from reading these forums over the years is that when BIAB starts doing strange things it's often an issue with the User Account Control (Win 7 and Vista) or an antivirus program.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
Debby Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
It's a 2 gig cpu, 2 gigs RAM, Win XP, C drive is 75 gig, F drive is 150 gig. Yes the program does run from the USB HD. The computer sees the USB too. I did click on the setup file from the USB HD to install to the internal F drive of the computer. I think I answered all the questions.

I did call tech support last night and the suggestions they gave me didn't help. They said if the suggestions didn't help then I might have to send the USB HD back to them, which I don't want to do as I'll be without it, but I may have to.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Debby,

Go to the \bb folder on the F-drive and rename the files "intrface.bbw" and "mysetup.dk" to something like "intrface.bbw.old" and "mysetup.dk.old".

These are the configuration files and by renaming them, you are forcing BIAB to create new ones when you start the program. This is the ultimate version of a factory reset.

(Note that it's "intrface" without and "E". Also, by renaming them, you can always delete the new ones the BIAB creates and then put these original ones back to what they were.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
First suggestion is to see if the program runs from the USB hard drive. If it does, there would be *** no *** need to return it, as the hard drive would be working correctly.

Next step would be installing the minimal installation of BB required to the hard drive, which is one of the installer options.

Then run BB from the c:\ drive, usually c:\bb\bbw.exe is the program that you run. Once inside there, you need to tell BBW to use f:\bb\drums and f:\bb\realtracks as the source of the RealDrums and RealTracks. You do that in Prefs-RealDrums and Prefs-RealTracks.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Debby,

You might need to clarify this with Peter Gannon but I suspect when he said ...
Quote:

If it does, there would be need to return it, as the hard drive would be working correctly.

... he meant to say "If it does, there would be no need to return it, as the drive would be working correctly."

This was why I asked earlier if you could run the program from the USB drive.

By the way, if you try the renaming of the files I suggested (on your F-drive installation), once the program is started, you'll need to tell it where to find Realdrums and Realtracks as well as setup MIDI options.

Also, you would need to go to the directory of the installation after the renaming of the files, find BBW.EXE in that directory, and double click that BBW.EXE to start the program. (While it's unlikely, it's possible that the shortcut that was created by the installation has confused the location of the program. Thus going to the directory and running the program directly from there will help determine what the fault is.)

If everything works after that, it's easy enough to set-up a shortcut for BBW.EXE in that directory and to point BIAB to Realdrums, Realtracks and MIDI.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Oh wow..... Debby, for $79 you can buy a 1 TERRABYTE drive! (I just bought one for a customer.) If you know anybody even a little bit skilled in IT they can do a clone using a program called Ghost, or one called Drive Image. That will take your existing C: drive and clone it byte for byte to the new LARGE drive. It will move the OS, all your programs.... everything, because it isn't "moving" anything as in "cut it from here and paste it to there". It is a bitcopy, which means sector 1 to sector 1, to the end. If you do that, you won't sweat space again for a LONG time.

Byte values go like this.

1000 Bytes = 1 Kilbyte
1000 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte
1000 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte
1000 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte
1000 Terabytes = 1 Petabyte
1000 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte
1000 Exabytes = 1 Zettabyte
1000 Zettabyte = 1 Zottabyte
1000 Zottabyte = 1 Brontobyte – that is a 1 followed by 27 zeroes

At the moment, for home computers, up to a 2 terrabyte drive is affordable.

Just to picture it, a 1 with 27 zeros is

My computer that runs BIAB/RB has a 1 terrabyte drive. With about 20 songs on it, and each song is in a folder that contains the RB sequences, tracks dumped to individual wav files, all tracks merged to one wav file, and MP3s samples at both 320 and 128 (different sizes to go different places). Sonar is also on that computer. Windows 7, a space hog.

With all of that redundancy in file saves, I am currently at 78% free space. I seriously can't even imagine a 75gb hard drive. Windows 7 itself uses 13gb. That is 17% of your hard drive for just the OS.

Shop around online and find a deal and upgrade. Just make sure you know IDE or SATA drives.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks Noel... now fixed above in my original post....

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
D
Debby Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thanks for all the help. I will try all the suggestions after calling tech support again. They sent me an email telling me to call them so I'll do that today. Sure hope they can help me! Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,540
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040
38,531 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173