Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
in another thread the topic came up about how much each of us has spent on music gear and software. For those intrepid souls who have the nerve to force an awareness of how much this hobby has REALLY cost them... I challenge you to take inventory.

Write down each piece of gear, and what you actually paid for it (to the best of your memory)
I don't want list price.. .I want actual out-of-pocket expenditure.

If you updated software, add up the total cost of getting from version 1 to where you are now

SHOULD_MY_WIFE_SEE_THIS_LIST?_O_METER
NO WAY_\________________________YES

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Never mind my wife! I will start the exercise but fear that once i know i will most probably have to stop squandering the kids' inheritance ...

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can't remember all the gear in the last 48 years but I can say with certainty that it would actually be a REAL BIG negative number.I've made WAY more $$$$ then I've spent.I bet I've done at least 7K paying gigs in my life time & counting.Then there's the stuff I've sold to buy new etc.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Three things come into convergence here that help keep the total down.

1. Craigslist and eBay are a great source and I rely on them for deals.

2. I am a REALLY good negotiator. (You could also say I am extremely stubborn, which would be extremely accurate.)

3. I am cheap. I am so tight with money I squeak. I skimp on everything other than care for my dog and music. I don't do ANY unnecessary driving to save on gas money, I haven't been to a movie in 12 years, I don't buy anything I won't use, and have started clearing out stuff that I don't, turning it into cash.

So, given that.... let me try.

Keyboards:
Ensoniq EPS16+ $200
Ensoniq ESQ-1 $150 (plus $100 for a new battery and OS chips)
Ensoniq SQ-1 $100
Ensoniq TS-10 $700 (LONG ago when it was fairly in vogue)
Ensoniq VFX $200
Ensoniq KS-32 $200
3 tier stand $50 on craigslist
2 tier stand $35 on craigslist

Guitars:
Strat $300
Tele $300
Ibanez Gio $80 (used at Guitar Center)
Applause acoustic $129
Ibanez bass $50 (pawn shop find)
Cheap Chinese Double neck lap guitar $100 on eBay (never used it)
Line 6 150 w 2x12 amp $150

Horns:
King Alto $110 on eBay, $28 repair
Bari $850 on craigslist, $300 in repairs

Mixers:
Mackie 16 channel $150
Peavey 12 channel $70

Various stuff:
Wharfedale near field monitors $119 each
2 Shure 58s, about $75 each
1 Shure 57 - bought it in 1984 (STILL like new!) and don't remember
1 MXL 992 condenser mic $39
M-Audio interface $200 (new about 3 years ago)
4 Alesis digital reverbs $125 total from various sources
Digitech rack mount vocoder $39
MX-8 midi patch bay $25
24 point patch bay $10
Behringer Dual 31 band EQ $100
Furman power conditioner $75
Roland TR 707 drum machine $75
44 space rolling server rack $95
Yamaha FB-01 sound module $200 (bought it brand new in the 80s!)
Roland MT-32 sound module $25

Then stands, cables, etc.... whatever that all cost. My 8 guitar stand and all the computer desks and stuff I built.

I also have a live rack with a Korg 6 channel keyboard mixer, a Korg 6 channel rack mount EQ, 1 of the Alesis midiverb units, and a 100w per side amp, in an 8 space rack. The mixer and EQ were purchased in the late 80s and I have no idea what I paid. The amp I paid about $50 for.

For the band's rehearsal hall I have that Peavey mixer, one of the Alesis reverb units, 1 of the 31 band EQs and a 450w per side amp driving Yamaha PA speakers. That stuff fills a 12 space table top rack. Again mostly old stuff and I don't remember the cost. I played through those Yamaha speakers in 1990-94. Then they sat for years as I was dormant. Got to say something about product quality back then that 20 years later they still even work much less still sound good.

I can't even COUNT how much stuff I sold. A Cornet, an alto, a flute, a cheap soprano, 3 lower end electric guitars, one acoustic, various rack pieces (remember the climb up MOTU Mountain?).....

Quite a journey. Also not that almost everything that is eBay or craigslist was procured at 75-80% of what the list price was. Many of the pieces have stories that are another story.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
We're not counting anything that's no longer in your possession. And not subtracting the money the gear earned. I'm just curious to know what number you'd give the insurance adjuster if the house burned down.

well, that might be a bad example, since I want the REAL out of pocket, not an inflated number.
If you can't remember a reasonable ballpark, write down $100. Some will have been more, some will have been less, but if we guess too much, it will offset the price of all the cables that nobody will even try to add in.

Quickly adding up Eddie's gear I get a little over $6,500

next?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not going to attempt an inventory and cost accounting. Suffice it to say that it constitutes a substantial chunk of my material worth. For insurance purposes I'd probably claim $20,000. (This includes some vintage synths and microphones that I haven't used in decades or at all. I'm afraid to flog them on craigslist and not ready for ebay.) Most of my gear is general purpose and was gotten reasonably in the distant past. The only real money I've spent recently is for my new DAW and music software, somewhere between $2,500 to $3,500.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My stuff on hand is about $6500

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have it all in a spreadsheet with serial number, original cost, current market value replacement cost, and a photo of the instrument as well as a photo of the serial number. Also each guitar has a unique identifier somewhere on it, not all the same identifier and not all in the same place, that only I know about. That info is on a CD locked in a fireproof safe as well as stored in a few other places.

I remember a guy telling me about his carefully prepared inventory stored on a CD but his CD was in his home office. I had to ask if your house burns down, do you think it will burn everything but that one CD? He now has other copies elsewhere.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Impossible to say, tho I am sure it is in the over the $30,000 + mark over the last 40+years..

But truthfully, everything that I have bought, sold, or traded has paid for itself numerous times over, so I guess I COULD say $0...

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
In my case, if yer talkin' over a lifetime to date, you don't wanna know.

I don't wanna know either.

--Mac

Off-Topic
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I keep a list for insurance purposes and it is currently at $16,695.70.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Like Mac, I don't want to know, even though I had an 'in' at the music store for most of my life and got great deals (parents owned the store)

More importantly, I don't want my wife to know either.
It may affect future purchases
Not whether I made them, but rather how long I would be reminded of them.
Then again, she doesn't complain about having nice monitors in the laundry room .. or the workout room .. but she does complain about the handed down ones in the daughter's room. That's more of an abuse issue though.

Which brings me to my (probable) next new post. Need to find surround set for small living room.
Nakamichi/JBL combo failing there to the point of not being worth the effort to keep working. Walls wired for 5.1

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, right now?

I just added it all up, close to 13K including my 1950's era Knabe grand piano I completely rebuilt myself. Paid $500 initially and then about $3,500 for parts and a tech to restring it and adjust the action. I was tempted but I decided to have him do those things. So 4K for the piano and about 9K for my stage and home studio stuff. Too many keyboards, too many stage speakers, I think I need to have a sale...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
another interesting question would be:

"What's the LIST PRICE for all your gear and software?"

That would level the playing field for the wheeler dealers and people who got killer deals for whatever reason. It would be the best REAL approximation of what it costs to have a home music studio and performing gear.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hmmm... in rethinking, I did not included the 61 key midi controller, the 49 key midi controller, the 25 key midi controller, the Alesis "trigger finger", the Akai Synthstation, and my Baldwin upright piano, which I originally did not included because it was freeeeee!! I just in this last month divested myself of a cheap soprano sax, a flute and a student level alto sax. Mics, stands.... probably another grand or so in there from the first list.

This is my first real piano and I love having one. I am not a good piano player, as I have always been more of a multi keyboard guy rather than the classic idea of what the piano player is, but it's great to sit down and plunk on it.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
$15K +

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've had a few accordions over the years. They're NOT as cheap as some people might think. For example one I'd love to get my hands on is a hohner gola. 2nd hand they often cost £15,000 + $20,000 ? ) My first full midi accordion I bought was around 28 years ago THAT was about £3,000, then on top of that, a roland MT32 expander about £100 or so. ( Wonder how many folks on here used one of these babys ? ) Not bumming here but I think I was one of the first in my area to have a midi accordion.
I've also owned a hohner morino IV musette accordion ( my favourite and I want it back LOL ) Excelsior multi musette ( hated it ), crucianelli 35 pns, crucianelli magicvox, elkavoxF3, elkavox'83 and my present one, an excelsior 940. Also Had various expanders. Between those, amplification, must be over £20k

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I thought if you left the boot open it would be full of accordions and bohdrans when you returned. And great pipes. I have a dick contino setti sopranni model in a nice case. 50 bucks guy says 2 keys are busted. I knew better, took 5 mins to fix.

Works perfect. 2000 pounds you pay the shipping. Sterling I mean not penny paper. Lol

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I could tell you how much I have spent in the last 45 years, the number of years I’ve been married, but I’m not going too. I don’t want the wife to find out

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
How To Make a Million Dollars in the Music Business

1) Start with Two Million Dollars.

2) When it gets down to One Million Dollars, STOP.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173