Go To
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
(reference to websites are also appreciated)

I am an Occupational Therapist working with students are ages 5 to 10 that have the following cognitive disabilities:

1.) Speech and/or Language Impairments
2.) ADHD
3.) Learning Disabilities (exceptional trouble with writing, reading, or math)
4.) Fine Motor skill difficultiees (difficulty with writing, handling pencil)
5.) "Sensory" Issues (some of their senses have difficulty receiving and interpreting information, or they have an 'insatiable' need to keep moving, touching things, etc.)

As a result of these disabilities, each of my children is having trouble with their academics, and it's my job to increase their academic performance and access.

I plan to incorporate music and instruments into my interventions. I teach the children for 30 minutes, 2x a week, and have the following instruments:
- 2 casio keyboards
- 1 drum pad with 2 pairs of sticks
- 1 glockenspiel
- 1 metronome
- 1 small scale guitar

I'd like to use these 3 tools/props/motivators to help my kids develop the following skills (e.g. these drive the creation of the activity which should incorporate musical instruments):
- listening,
- discipline,
- study techniques,
- math concepts,
- fine motor skills,
- writing
- hand strength
- memorization,
- motivation
- pre-writing skills (fine motor control, learning to use recognize and recite ABCs')
- Band in a Box / Real Band / RealTracks

I must document that my interventions:
1.) are helping improve academic performance
2.) have concrete measurements of results, and proof of progress

Can you help me brainstorm activities to use music to help kids learn life skills and improve in their academics ? The following format would work best for me, but any thoughts are much appreciated. I'll start you off with one example:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skills: Listening, Counting Accurately in Sequence, Attention, Memorization, foundation skills for reciting in rhythm, cooperative play
Goal: Student will learn to count from 1 to 26 and recite the alphabet without errors in 3 out of 3 trials
Materials: 3 students,
1 glockenspiel,
1 metronome
1 singer

Activity:
Three students sit around a table and are given the following roles:
1. Time_Keeper - starts and stops metronome after all students are 'ready' (e.g. all eyes are on him, no talking)
2. Glockenspiel_Player - plays the "ABC" song at the pace set by the Time_Keeper
3. Singer - either sings the ABC song with glockenspiel player, or counts sequentially to notes of ABC song

Measuring Progress: 'score sheet' for each student documenting how high they can count accurately at designated rhythm without error, or how much of the "ABCs" they can recite sequentially without error

Simplifying:
lower the metronome settings
students given chart of "ABCs" or Numbers from 1 to 50 to refer to as they are called on to recite in sequence
work on the ABC song into smaller sections based on rests (ABCD EFG HI JK LMNOP...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
what is the age range of the children

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
5 to 10 years old.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
math songs
https://www.google.com/search?q=music+to...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.dmQ&fp=70f902665fe3d8c&biw=1024&bih=682

Language Arts Songs
https://www.google.com/search?q=music+to...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.dmQ&fp=70f902665fe3d8c&biw=1024&bih=682

reading comprehension songs for kids

science songs for teaching
https://www.google.com/search?q=music+to...AA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.dmQ&fp=70f902665fe3d8c&biw=1024&bih=682

may be some inspiration in these links
http://www.goodsitesforkids.org/LifeSkills.htm#.UPKtBx1EF0s

http://www.watchknowlearn.org/Category.aspx?CategoryID=640

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ed=0CIsBENUCKAI

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Wow Mike - great research terms to use, hadnn't thought of all of those, and nice idea links. I'll start checking them out ASAP. I would really love to take it to the next level with a comprehensive list of activities in the format I had suggested, centralized in one place and peer-reviewed for quality. Perhaps different forums would be more appropriate for this post (though it is and 'interdisciplinary post' - both music and education. "Music Therapy" may be closest, but I actually think the users of this site would have the best suggestions in this area : )

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Im in a similar profession. My first thought was " life skills? Get them to carry the drumkit into the room". This is a joke, but it has a serious side there is a whole dimension of working together - perhaps called bandsmanship (a band where the drummer always carries all his own kit wont last long) its about dealing with conflict, sharing ideas, peacemaking, leading this kind of thing - social engagment, social engagdetment (a technical term used by seasoned sound engineers), you get the idea I am sure..

Last edited by ZeroZero; 01/13/13 06:27 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
That's what I love about this forums - it turns out many people that go into my field or a similar one actually were musicians previously, or at least deeply attracted to music. I think I've been learning why that is. To learn an instrument takes a lot of practice of fine motor skills, and repetition - exactly what teaching my learning disabled kids involved. And often musicians - whether introvert or extrovert, like 'touching' others with their music - whether performing live, or creating stored sounds that give other people pleasure. Interested to know you profession, if you're willing to share.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's a nice little article with citations worth checking;
http://bluehenge1.hubpages.com/hub/The-Effects-of-Music-and-Academics

This aspect is a life project for my parents. If you need proof it's out there.
Many studies done.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's an organization that might be worth checking into: The DANA Foundation ( www.dana.org ). This is a philanthropic organization that supports brain research. Here's an article that proposes a music program for children in your targeted age group and its impact on cognitive development: http://www.dana.org/news/publications/detail.aspx?id=10752

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
With children of that age group, don't overlook Eurythmics.

Teaching them to find the pulse of recorded musics and to move in time to that, using various inexpensive Rhythm Instruments to get them to shake, tap, ding those instruments to the pulse of recorded musics or even musics p;ayed by the teacher or an assistant on a piano or a guitar, things like that.

Marching around the room in time to march musics.

Expand the marching gradually to include pieces not thought of as marches but that can be subdivided down to Simple Duple time anyway.

The beauty of Eurythmics is that we can instill the need to count, to find the pulse, to "feel" what is happening in the musics, "one, two, three, four" as compared to "one, two, three, one, two, three" etc. and when properly taught is a whole lotta fun for the children while they are learning without realizing it.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think Mac's suggestion is a good one. Movement would help with the need to touch and move constantly, the "sensory" issues you mentioned.

You might like to check out "Orff" body percussion, in case you don't know, they are rhythmic co-ordination exercises using combinations of finger snaps, hand claps, thigh slaps and foot stamps.

There are videos on you-tube showing them in action if you think it might help. I think the kids would enjoy them.

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Teaching youngsters early on to find the pulse, to be able to decipher whether its in two, three or four time, to be able to count, is the singlemost thing that I find modern music teaching techniques too often ignore or don't do enough of, to the student's deficit.

Another Eurythmics method I use is to teach the basic conducting patterns for 2/4, then hand them each a stick and get them conducting to a march recording.

After the 2/4 wears thin and is basically under control, I introduce the 4/4 pattern and here we go again.

Then comes 3/4, with this one I start with the waltz, like Strauss' "Blue Danube" and after awhile with that will switch to "Bluesette" so that they can start digging that even jazz waltz tempo as well.

I also kill two birds with one stone when doing this, selecting recordings that, without them really realizing it, increases their Music Recognition skills. The important thing here is to know the repertoire and select the simpler things from it.

My final with kids is Serge Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" -- which gives a chance to introduce the sound of many of the orchestral instruments as well as the knowledge of a great piece of music that comes with a story. Each character is represented by a different instrument of the orchestra.

Here's a Youtube of David Bowie's narration of Peter and the Wolf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoizq-jjxs

After my classes, there isn't a kid whose been through them that does not recognize a Chalimeau Register Clarinet as "the cat". etc.

Bowie's recording is great for use with kids in these classes, BTW.

I teach these at our church summer school while my wife devotes her time to being the "schoolmarm" for the more academic endeavors there. But it all started a long time before that, when we made the big decision to homeschool our own kids. Long story short, we started up a homeschooling academy back then and ended up with about 20 kids on our hands daily. They're all grown up now.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You might want to have a look at Beethoven's Anvil: Music In Mind And Culture. It's got a number of interesting theories about music, and why it's important. He argues that music is the result of of "coordinated neurological systems", and fundamentally music is a group activity. You might be able to ferret out some inspiration from there.

My younger son fell into the realm of "insatiable need to keep moving", which is one of the reasons we decided to go with home schooling. I recall an incident at a Sunday School class that a friend was teaching. Because she knew about his issues, she let him pace around in the back of the classroom.

One of the kids wondered why he got to walk around in the back and not be seated, so she asked him some questions about what she'd been teaching about. He was able to rattle off the answers without problem... and I suspect, while continuing to pace.

Of course, the other students wanted to know if they could wander around, too.

After years of drumming on the back of pews, he's now up in the front of the church hammering away on a cajon, so I've managed to channel some of that activity. But it's not something that we've ever been able to "fix". You've got a difficult task!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173