Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
I have a music theory question. Not a trick question or anything, just wondering.

Most common chords in pop/jazz songs can be tied to the original key, so that they "make sense". For example, in the key of C, all the diatonic chords (Cmaj7,Dm7,Em7,Fmaj7,G7,Am7,Bm7b5) make sense in the key. And we can also add the chords for Cm (Cm7,Dm7b5,EbMaj7,Fm7,Gm7,AbMaj7,Bb7). Then we can add dominant 7 chords that "approach" chords that are a 4th above, adding these to the key of C... C7,D7,E7

Also, C#dim7 makes sense in that it is like an A7b9 without the root.

It helps to know how the chord fits in to the key. For example, if you can think of a C#Dim7 like an A7b9, it makes a progression like C6|C#dim7|Dm7|G7 in to a simpler one CMaj7|A7|Dm7|G7

But how about a chord like Cdim7 (or its similar cousins Ebdim7,F#dim7. They occur commonly in the key of C, but how are they related to the key of C?

For example, these are common chord progressions:

C | Cdim7 | Dm7 | G7
C | Ebdim7 | Dm7 | G7
F | F#dim7 | C/G | A7

Is the Cdim7 related to some other chords in the key of C in some way?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've always read there are two ways to look at a dim chord.

One is as an incomplete dom7. So a Bdim is basically a G7 without the root. But... I'm not seeing that in your examples.

The other is as a passing chord with no tonal center. In that context, each note of the diminished chord can be considered equally valid root. So a C#dim7 (C#,E,G,Bb) could be written with any of the notes as the root. What really matters is the note that the chord is leading to - optimally you want the notes to move smoothly to the target.

That makes sense for where it's used for a brief duration, but again, not for your examples, where it's held for a whole measure.

So... That sort of leaves that dim chord to be explained some sort of passing chromatic motion.

With the first two examples:

C | Cdim | Dm7 | G7
C | Ebdim | Dm7 | G7

if you treat the Cdim6 as a Ebdim6, they're the same chord - a double chromatic suspension resolving to the Dm7:

C -> C
Eb -> D
Gb -> F
A -> A

With the last progression,

F | F#dim | C/G | A7

I see this as more a passing bass note, along the lines of:

Fmaj7 (Am/F) | F#dim (Am/F#) | C/G | A7

So I'm not sure they're "related" to the key of C, in the sense that they're diatonic. But I'm a dilettante, not a practitioner.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In many instances a Cdim7 in the key of C can be used as a D7, F7, Ab7 or B7. All dependent on what comes before, after and the melody. C///|Cdim///|Dm7 could become C///|Ebm7///|Dm7 or C///|Ebm7/Ab7/|Dm7 There are a thousand more possibilities. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Peter,

Here's my take on it:

C | Cdim7 | Dm7 | G7 -- A popular sub for Rhythm Changes in the early era, I tend to think of the Cdim7 here as sub for Am also, but in this case Am6ALT that includes the b5 and b9 w/o root. Am6b5b9 A bit dense, though, so I save such for the wild stuff, would likely make more palatable harmony to go with the full diminished there, which would drop that b9 concept for the A. When it was used in Rhythm Changes it freed up the Bass player to stay on the C for the first three bars, then leaving the choice to drop a half step for the V7 chord, yielding a G7/B, or just play the root after the three C notes.

C | Ebdim7 | Dm7 | G7
Forces Bass note to be the b5 of that Amin7 sub above, retaining the 6th of the A chord, but this time the third of the A chord is impied Major rather than minor. I can be accused of grabbing such a sub where it seems appropriate to play that Am7 in the typical I, vi, ii, V7 as I,VI, II, V7. (ala the first two lines of Rhythm Changes in the original, but without the iii sub for the I the second time around.)

F | F#dim7 | C/G | A7

Now we are steering away from the Rhythm Changes type of sub. If the following bar were to be Dm, this might make a way to get there rather than the old two five one method. "Five to Five" modulation in the last two bars.

There's that old school jazzer's rule of thumb that if a chord shares two or more notes with another, then it likely can be used as a sub. Well, if the given Melody doesn't create a clam problem.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I've always looked at the Cdim7 in the key of C as a VI chord. Works for me and makes sense(in my mind, anyway) diatonically. It's probably more complicated than that, but I can play it much better than I can explain it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
An enharmonic chord, and it can resolve many ways. IN 4 iterations. I usually view it as passing to an Am or Dm. I think it's the way your think of all dim7 chords. Then there is the 9th theory, and that's some complicated and makes me shake my head.

I'll have to get out my wife's music books after and have a peek. I'd ask her but when she forgets those 15 years of theory culminating in 4 an university, I get a dirty look when I ask a hard one.

There is also a world of difference in it's treatment from classical to jazz in my mind.

Jazz to me spends more times with resolving in unpredictable ways, which can lead to interest. And the chord can mess with one's head using triads and the inversions.

Somewhere I hear the C#dim7 and F#dim7 going back and forth in classical music but I just don't remember where. I'll have to mess with that and get back to you if the light comes on.

Jazz was part of my new year's resolution, for the 5th time, it seems to go in circles.
Gee that was obtuse.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Peter for thoughtful discussion, I actually gained useful insight from this thread (now if it will only stick)

It even forced me to go do some re-reading (and count notes on fingers and toes to follow ) too bad no real final "academic" answer (just left with a somewhat resolved chord!)

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/15/13 06:52 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Peter,

From my understanding of classical harmony, there are primarily two ways that the diminished chord is treated.

1. The diminished triad resolves to an inversion of a chord that has its root a perfect 4th higher (perfect 5th lower). This is the standard resolution for discords (dim, aug, 7, etc).

2. As you've already indicated, the diminished 7th acts as dominant harmony (without the dominant present and what would normally be the major 3rd up from the dominant as the chord's root note). For example, in the key of C major or C minor, Bdim7 is usually considered a variation of the dominant 7th (G7 chord) that has B as its root note rather than G. In this way (in the key of C), Bdim(7) leads to some inversion of C.

Arguably, though, this second point can be considered as a special case of point 1. For example, Bdim7 is enharmonically equivalent to Ddim7. The 4th above D is G and thus Ddim7 will resolve to a G chord. This, in turn, can be resolved to C (in C major or minor). So Ddim7-G7-C can be condensed to become Bdim7-C.

CONSIDERING POINT #1 ABOVE
In the key of A minor, chord ii (Bmb5 = Bdim triad) resolves to E (or E7) which, in turn, usually resolves to Am. (This is the standard ii-V-i progression in minor mode. This is also in keeping with the notion that chord ii is a variation of subdominant harmony.)

This principle can also be applied to secondary dominants. For example, consider the below progression in C major.

C-Dm-G7-C

When considering possible chords to lead to the Dm, the secondary dominant of D is A7 and so the progression could become ...

C-A7-Dm-G7-C

Equally, borrowing from minor mode harmony, the diminished triad a perfect 4th below D could also lead to Dm (using point #1 above). This gives C-Amb5-Dm-G7-C. Like A7, this diminished triad has the A root note. For this reason, I think of the above progression as the diminished variation of dominant harmony. Diminished triads often sound better when played as an inversion rather than root position. So putting the Amb5 in second inversion gives …

C-Amb5/Eb-Dm-G7

Extending the Am5b and Dm chord into chords of the 7th then gives …

C-Adim7/Eb-Dm7-G7

(Where the dim7 uses the principle of stacking notes that are successively a minor 3rd apart (as found in the seventh chord formed on the second note of the harmonic minor scale). Thus the musical distance from the root note to the top note is a diminished 7th: e.g. C-Eb-Gb-Bbb; and the notes C -> Bbb = a diminished 7 interval.)

Since Adim7 = Cdim7 = Ebdim7 = Gbdim7, it's often easier to name a diminished 7th chord by its bass note since its less confusing to interpret this visually. This gives …

C-Ebdim7-Dm7-G7 where Ebdim7 is really Adim7/Eb.

Also, Adim7 and Cdim7 are equivalent chords – that is, contain exactly the same notes – so the the above chord progression could also be written as …

C-Cdim7-Dm7-G7 which is C-Adim7/C-Dm7-G7

(To my mind, both Cdim7 and Ebdim7 are alternative ways of expressing Adim7 and so are a form of secondary dominant harmony when they lead to a Dm(7) chord.)

CONSIDERING C/G HARMONY
The progression C-D7-G7-C, where D7 is a secondary dominant, can be decorated to become

C-D7/F#-G7-C

In cadential position, a variation of G(7) is C/G which is essentially a G chord with two suspensions (the C and the E). In this position, C/G behaves as dominant harmony and not tonic harmony. Thus the above chord progression could be elaborated to become (melody permitting) …

C-D7/F#-C/G-G7-C

As explained in point 1, the diminished chord a 4th below D could used to lead to D7. Using 7ths, this gives …

C-Adim7-D7/F#-C/G-G7-C

However, Adim7=Gbdim7, and Gbdim7 is enharmonically equivalent to F#dim7. Thus …

C-F#dim7-D7/F#-C/G-G7-C

Because there are now two successive chords on the F# bass, either one can be eliminated. Choosing the dim7 chord then gives ...

C-F#dim7-C/G-G7-C

Alternatively, since F# is the leading note of G major (or G minor), and since the cadential C/G is simply a variation of G(7), the same principle of Bdim7 leading to C in the key of C major can be applied and F#dim7 can lead to C/G (if one considers a temporary key change of G major).

In the progression ...

C-F#dim7-C/G-A7

... C/G is what theory people call a passing 6/4 chord (6/4 = second inversion and comes about from Bach's day when figured basses were used). Since the bass is G, it is still good music to think of this as a form of G chord. To me, C/G feels more like a dominant chord than a tonic chord because of the dissonant interval of a 4th between the bass (G) and the chord tone C. To my way of thinking, given the above, F#dim7 to C/G is a less obvious variation of secondary dominant harmony.

AUDIO FILE
For comparison purposes, I've put together this 4-part harmony audio file of some of the above chord progression.

...link here (approx. 360 kB)

The progressions are ...

1. C - Am - Dm - G7 - C

2. C - A7 - Dm - G7 - C

3. C - Adim7 - Dm - G7 - C

4. C - Cdim7 - Dm - G7 - C

5. C - Ebdim7 - Dm - G7 - C

To my ear,even though the various second chords in the progressions sound slightly different, there's enough similarity to show that the dim7 chords are all acting in a similar way to the secondary dominant A7. (The reason that the Ebdim7 sounds more noticeably different than the others is because the melody needed to change to accommodate Eb in the bass.)

SUMMARY
In all instances, the progressions have come about by considering (a) that a discord (in this case the diminished chord) classically resolves to a chord whose root is a perfect 4th higher or (b) that a dim7 chord can resolved to an inversion of a chord whose root is one semitone higher that the root of the dim7.

Hope this helps with some kind of insight,
Noel

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
A passing chord...

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
+1

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I did a lot of theory study last year to try to get to the bottom of such questions.

Most stuff of course resolves modally, and therefore makes sewnse this way. Music is also often tension and release tension and release. So what of the tension part? Well there are varying degrees. To have tension one must overturn the expected chord, but this can be dome by one note two or three or even four. Whtat I came to realise is that any tension has its beauty IF it is resolved contextually.

I have also found that the dimininished scale has its own logic. It is unsettled, unless it returns to the root (no perfect fifth). However, it can reproduce it's own structure on every second note - so as to potentiallly nominate that note as new root. This gives it a kaelidoscopic patternating quality, a kind of daisy chaining property that is not possessed by the major or minor scales but is also present in the whole tone scale. Certain harmonic structures can be based on this rather that the conventional modal thinking. So sometimes the diminished functions to imply another, non modal context. Think Debussy.

Obviously it also has a role as a tension in modal harmony as cited above in various manners

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
This has already been touched upon but I'll add it anyway. I like doing this for practice to work myself through the various keys.

Dim7ths can also be used as pivot chords to effect a modulation to remote keys, so any note of a dim7th can be lowered a semitone to make a dominant 7th, which can then be used as a V7-1 cadence in the new key.

So if for some reason you wanted to go from C major key to Bb Minor Key, you could play the C dim7th chord and then lower the Gb to F to get an F7th chord, which can then proceed to the tonic chord of Bb Minor.

Even though not all are effective, we can end up with 4 major and 4 minor key modulations just from the one dim7. Very handy if you are stuck trying to get to an unrelated key.

I like experimenting with dim7ths, they are interesting chameleons.

(The C-Cdim7-Dm7-G7 is a really nice sounding progression isn't it.)

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
People without a lot of experience blowing the Rhythm Changes and chording same are likely to miss the point because of that.

--Mac

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Yes, Rhythm Changes (key Bb), uses that dim7 a lot....

the second bar can be

| Dm7 C#dim7 | Cm7 F7 |

for that one, I've thought of the C#dim7 as an A7b9/C# .

Then a few bars later (Bar 6), when it comes up again ...

| Eb6 Edim7 | , we have that same chord again (Edim7 is similar to C#dim7 and Bbdim7).
But in this case I think of the Edim7 just like a Eb7b9 (ie no real change of chord).

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
To all who have posted:

Thanks for all the helpful input.

As indicated in the posts, it (Cdim7 in key of C) is an interesting chord. Sounds so musical and correct for the key of C, yet doesn't have an obvious reason why it belongs.

Used in lots of songs (e.g. Embraceable You, Rhythm Changes etc.)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I always thought that all musics actually consist of various forms of Tension--->Release.

That can be rhythmic as well as melodic as well as harmonic.

Use of the Cdim7 in C changes a C7 to a C7 that also has a b5 and #9 in it, one way to look at it.

The two primary "supertension" notes.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Embraceable You is a good example. In the second bar, (key of C), Ebdim is the correct chord. A good sub is Am7b5/D7b9/ Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A most interesting question, Peter. I could think of it as a variant ii7 (am7), since it fits that place in the rhythm changes so well. But really the Gb kind of disqualifies it as an A-anything. It is more than a passing chord, since it does not go to C#, or contain a C#. It certainly fits in the 'tension/release' model which Mac mentioned, but I dont' think that quite answers the question you asked.

Hmmm....you got me puzzling now...I know it sounds good, but...

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Am7 = the vi in key of C though.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think the Cdim7 moving to Dm7 sounds good because it's resolving as it should and in a way our ears are expecting.

Dim7th chords are classified as chromatic harmony and usually if you chromatically alter a note, it resolves in the same direction as it was altered. If you sharpen a note it will resolve upwards and if you flatten a note it will resolve downwards.

So for example, if you changed C Major chord to C augmented, the G# should resolve up a semitone to A. When we play Caug Chord then F Major chord, the release of tension from the G# to the A sounds right and pleasant.

In Cdim7 the Eb and Gb are, as already mentioned, appoggiaturas to D and F, so by lowering the the Eb and Gb a semitone to D and F, the result is smooth and they are resolving in a theoretically (what a horrible word to spell!) correct way.

The resulting Dm7 (C,D,F,A) releases the tension in a way that is expected and "comforting" to our ears.

Nice!

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173