Go To
RealBand
P
primera Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
When I open a midifile in Realband, I always get a pianosound playing the drumtrack. All the other track is playing right instruments. I must load the drums manually every time. I'm using the VSTi version of SampleTank.
In BIAB I can go to "MIDI Options" and untick "Drum Patch Changes" and the drums don't changes to piano when opened a new midifile, but I can not see I can do this in Realband?

Is there a solution?
Thanks in advance.

-roger

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
GM drums go out on channel 10
Set channel 10 in Sampletank to a drum sound

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
P
primera Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Quote:

GM drums go out on channel 10
Set channel 10 in Sampletank to a drum sound

I not sure I'm doing it the right way. I first mark channel 10 on the left side, doubleclick on drumset on the right side, and I can now see that the drumset are loaded. If I now start playing the midifile, drumset change back to piano. If I load the drumset after the midifile is start playing, the drum stay on the channel 10 and everything sounds right, but if I stop playing and start play again, the drum switch to pianosound.

???

-roger

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like a problem built into the midi file that you can correct using the Event List. Rharv will pop in here soon, he's the local Event List editing guru.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
P
primera Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Quote:

Sounds like a problem built into the midi file that you can correct using the Event List. Rharv will pop in here soon, he's the local Event List editing guru.

Jeff

All midi files plays the drums (ch 10)correct in other softhsynths I have, like Coyote WT/Forte. I think it must have something to do with Omnisynth/SampleTank??

-roger

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Highlight the track,
rewind song,
Click the big E icon (or hit F2 key}
Look for a program change at (or near) the beginning of the song. If it exists, delete it.

Play song to test
If it didn't help click Edit-undo..
If it does work, send $5

RealBand
P
primera Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
It works!!
Now the drums are playing instead of piano for every midifile I play.
I've just open the Omnisynth GM Library and changed the name of the file "SRGM KIT 01 DRY" to"001 Grand Piano Dry"

-roger

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Why change the Name of the patch in OmniSynth??? GM Drum kits use the same numbering system as the musical instruments but actually refer to Drum Kits using Channel 10 such as 1 (Piano) = Standard, 41 (Violin) = Brush.

In SampleTank, you have a Search feature which operates on Keywords. Changing the name could result in this patch not being identified for future use.

RealBand
P
primera Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Quote:

- Why change the Name of the patch in OmniSynth???

- GM Drum kits use the same numbering system as the musical instruments but actually refer to Drum Kits using Channel 10 such as 1 (Piano) = Standard, 41 (Violin) = Brush.

- Changing the name could result in this patch not being identified for future use.

- Because the 001 Piano always play pianosound in ch 10 when I load a GM Standard midifile

- I know, the same midifile plays drum correct in ch 10 in CoyoteWT/Forte and other midiplayers I have
(something must be wrong in the script in the GM Omnisynth.

- Perhaps, we will see

-roger

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Roger,

When I had a quick glance through your posts, I found myself wondering if, when you start BIAB/RB, you load into SampleTank one of the the General Midi STMP (definition) files. If not, have a look at the below link and it will explain how to set SampleTank to play general midi.

...link to setting up S/Tank for General Midi

SampleTank is not like Coyote. Coyote is "set and forget". With SampleTank, however, it's necessary to load the STMP file EVERY time either RB or BIAB is started. It's also necessary to load one of the drum kits into midi channel 10 every time either of the above programs start up. The above link details all of this.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
P
primera Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Quote:

Hi Roger,

When I had a quick glance through your posts, I found myself wondering if, when you start BIAB/RB, you load into SampleTank one of the the General Midi STMP (definition) files. If not, have a look at the below link and it will explain how to set SampleTank to play general midi.

...link to setting up S/Tank for General Midi

SampleTank is not like Coyote. Coyote is "set and forget". With SampleTank, however, it's necessary to load the STMP file EVERY time either RB or BIAB is started. It's also necessary to load one of the drum kits into midi channel 10 every time either of the above programs start up. The above link details all of this.

Regards,
Noel

Hi, Noel

I first open a midifile (in Realband), then load one of the GM stmp files.

Not only when I start Realband ,but every time I load a new midifile, I must do this.Why?? Am I doing something wrong here?

Is there a way to get SampleTank to "remember" the GM map?

If I load the drum kits into midi ch 10, it change to piano sound when I hit play!!

In BIAB I can click on 'midi options' button, and Untic 'Drum Patch Changes' so I keep the drums when load a new midifile. I don't have this 'midi options' in Realband as I can see.

-roger

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Roger,

Quote:

Not only when I start Realband ,but every time I load a new midifile, I must do this.Why?? Am I doing something wrong here?

The reason you need to do this is because SampleTank is not a General Midi synth. It is designed as a host for an unlimited number of sounds that can be accessed and played via midi. Coyote, on the other hand, is designed as a general midi synth and can only play the limited number of sounds defined as "general midi".

Quote:

If I load the drum kits into midi ch 10, it change to piano sound when I hit play!!

I haven't played around with midi files from the net and Sampletank but, from what you say, it sounds like there's a midi command near the start of the file that's setting channel 10 to drums. If you have a look in Realband's midi monitor, you should be able to see this and to clear it.

It's also possible that, when the midi was created, the drums were not actually written to midi channel 10.

One of the disadvantages of midi files from the net is that they are not always assembled with full attention to all details. I've found that some are excellent and others are useless.

Are the problems you're experiencing with all midi files or just some?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
P
primera Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Quote:

Are the problems you're experiencing with all midi files or just some?

Hi Noel,

The problems are with all midi files. I have played midi files for years using hardwarde/soft synths. Always loaded drums in channel 10.

Thats the reason I will not start to edit every midi file. It must be something wrong in the script i GM Omnisynth.

The file that was loaded in ch 10 was '001 Grand Piano Dry.stip'

So I have now changed the name of the drumkit named 'SRGM KIT 01 DRY.stip' to '001 Grand Piano Dry.stip'and renamed the orginal '001 Grand Piano Dry.stip' to '000 Grand Piano Dry.stip'(taken it out the GM system)

I don't know, but it works. Now the drums are loaded correct in ch 10 every time

-roger

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The other way was sending a bank message (most likely scenario IMO)

Change the Patch Select dialogue dropdown to GM Drums to see other patch numbers for different drums.

Sounds like your synth may not want or need the bank numbers as it may automatically handle it on channel 10.

I wrote my JunoG Patch map to list the drum patches in the Banks section (GM Drums are on bank 86 if I recall correctly) of the Patch Select dialogue as extended patches. Now I don't have to switch back and forth to see the drum patch numbers.

Different synths do different things and handle data differently sometimes, when they shouldn't. This discovery may be worth noting.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,690
Posts736,046
Members38,540
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
lannguyen, hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez
38,541 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 178