Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
speaking of retirement, here's something I'd really like to see:

Some old-timer who has a farm and can't keep it up anymore should turn it into a retirement commune.

People who want to "buy in" could sell their homes and put the money in the commune's collective fund. Everybody in the commune would be expected to work on the farm, planting, harvesting, repairing, chopping wood, milking cows etc.

It would be especially cool if the commune catered specifically to retired musicians, and the barn was used to host live music open to the public (which would also help to support the commune)

If the farm happened to be on the blue Ridge Parkway, it would probably become a tourist attraction

When the final heart attack comes, I'd rather have it while chopping firewood or baling hay than while wasting away in front of a TV in a room that smells like bleach and urine.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I left at 54, 30 years as a firefighter. I was 'behind' a guy who was 3 yrs. my junior and the Chief Training Officer. He was unbearable. It's funny, I hadn't seen him in years and ran into him at the grocery store just this morning. Now there is a man who ostracized his family, co-workers, and friends. A true misogynist, only thing he's got is a bigger pension that I. He took 2 months a year off so I'd have to budget and do his job, but he never said a word, I'd be called to a budget submission, nothing done, and then he dumped on me later. I walked out, and management was a afraid of my going after them so they promoted me for the last 6 months and I rode out on a desk.

Still I've got a great pension, a wonderful family, and regrettably too many friends who are dying early. It's a speed bump right now, my wife is a Senior Manager and up to be a Corporate Director soon, with 7 wks vacation a year and nice bonuses.

But all the cash in the world is superfluous. I did have charge of the forensic darkroom and loved photography, no corpses please. So I've gone back into that in a big way, bought a rusty pickup truck for the dog and I, and wish my wife didn't work almost every day, and from 6:30 to 6:30 most days. (It's almost noon on Sunday and there she is again.)

Big family meal here today, 10 people, prime rib, fancy salads, and I'll bake rolls and bread too.

My Mom and Dad are 86, and my Mom gets out every Sunday to come here with my Dad. I can only give back for all they did.

Going to England and France in May, my youngest lives in Canterbury, and we will take them to France with us for a week. (Her 'beau', husband, what ever.

And in 3 weeks a week in the sun in Cuba. 3 Days in Havana. Nice cars!

Every day extra is a bonus. Still playing the organ/keyboards for Masonic meetings, but some stuff I'd like to do is on hold, too many disabilities.

I'm now 63, getting extra cash from the Canada Pension, another boost at 65.
My wife's parents own a big chunk of land 60 feet from a huge diamond drill hole with 10 years ago was called 'marginally viable open pit mine'. They would need the 'family' land. My kids may end up with quite the bonus.

My oldest lives close by, PHd in Anthropology, good for lots of discussions.
My 2nd Son is in Toronto, corporate job with Interac banking.
My 3rd Son is close by, he's a manager in a large call centre.

What I really need to do is divest myself of this big old house soon. 4 rooms I never use unless my grandson is over for the night.

The property management I was doing after retirement has slowed down. I still run one big building for a company from Niagara, but it's no work to speak of anymore, but does throw in some 'fun money'.

Every person is different. I know people who love work so much nothing else counts much. My wife is not like that, but the growth level of her company keeps them expanding, but not fast enough to keep people trained. Adding 10 fitness clubs a month over the last 20 months is taking a toll on her, she does all the management for the income side. Some may remember I owned that company, (the computerized management of fitness club members), and they still run my software for banking. I sold out in '96, and could have been well off, but my firefighting job seemed more important than programming.

You might say I sold my wife with the business. But we Skype back and forth most days.

I'm looking forward to spring, enough snow for me!

My grandson is almost 4, and to walk 3 blocks to the nature trail yesterday took an hour. I forgot that a 4 yr. old has to climb every 'mountain', flop on every pile of snow, eat some, yell "Look Papa John I'm on the mountain now!" while standing on the 4 foot pile of snow the plow pushed up. On to the next one. You can smile a lot then. And when he stood at the foot of out bed on Saturday morning at 6 a.m. with the dog, and the 2 of them ended up getting under the covers to discuss dinosaurs, why dogs sniff, what the squirrels eat and how nuts might taste, why birds don't fly up side down, and other good stuff, hey, all is well.

I think I need to write a time table and peel some spuds now, but heck the dog is sleeping on my foot, the birds are fighting at the feeder out the window, and I have emails to reply to soon.

All said, I audited another University music course this fall, and have applied to study French and History at the local university, another thing to keep my mind working hard and make me forget the crazy neuropathy that came with chemo.

Keep well, and find good stuff every day, smile, and hit the dissenters with your cane! Or threaten...;)

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was aghast at that museum of 'American Music' on the parkway. We were there this fall, 'leaf peeping' according to the locals. Nice weather. But that building was a knock off of some Federal Gov't type, not AT ALL like I'd hoped. I wanted your thing, a barn, and have some people come.

Building Codes would say (in Canada I know the US ones are close), that over 150 people in the place, fire alarm req'd.

Over x number of feet, you need a sprinkler system, water supply, standpipes, and on it goes. Dry pipe system, it freezes in the winter. Wood burning, are you kidding?? Staff bathrooms, handicapped bathrooms, and on it goes. Every 30 people = one WC. (Water Closet=toilet, urinal etc.)

It would make you sigh and throw up your hands. Sit on a bale of hay, and have music, great. I love it. But beware what you wish.

Great idea, sorry I threw frozen water on it.

I'll buy in though...pretend we are stupid. What codes???

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just figured it out. Take the side off the barn. Performers inside, something to reflect the sound out, bales of hay arranged in a amphitheatre. A trough out back for the men. Some moonshine for the band, we need an empty jug anyway.

Don Gaynor is in charge of the button that makes the music go round and round. And come out here.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Great Comments...but as for me, my four wives did me in and I didn't really
have a well-planned ending to September Song.
Altho I'm single now and live in "stress-free" Cyrstal River, Fl., a far cry
from my Chi-Town existence for over 70 yrs.
I've managed to keep my head above water and my bait below, fishing in nearby
Rivers, and the Gulf..with my 17' Alumamum Canoe. Life is good, eh??

I'm a diabetic and heart patient (pacemaker now), thanks to the VA in Florida,
I'm still pretty spry for my age...the new battery is just hummin' me along the trail.
Still gig with my keyboards/guitars/synths and I'll be 79 on Feb. 22nd.

Feelin' oh so good about taking the leap from stockbroker to gunrunner/musician!

God Bless All....especially PG Music, for the many years of enjoyment!!!

Solid!! Potato Salad!!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
GDaddy #192100 01/27/13 11:24 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
similar ideas (except for the commune part):

http://suncrestgardensfarm.com/pizza/live-music/

http://local.yahoo.com/info-44944126-live-music-down-on-the-farm-morrisville

http://sweetwater-organic.org/sunday-market/live-music-series/

http://www.cottonwoodcreekfarm.net/5.html

http://whodatfestival.com/

http://www.oldmillingtonwinery.com/live_music.htm

http://www.caprockwinery.com/index.cfm?m...b9-fbc1fb71cb83

seems like there's a growing trend in mixing live music with farms, wineries, parks and other outdoor places where there is ample room to park a lot of cars and spread out blankets.

This is further evidence that live music is alive and well, it just isn't in beer joints as much as it was when the boomers were in their 20s. Now its at all the places where boomers go NOW.

I'm tellin' all us old farts, we need to ride this wave before it crests ( but I predict it will continue to swell for the remainder of our lives, as more and more boomers retire and start looking for things to do)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"seems like there's a growing trend .."

I hope that was intentional 'cause it was funny

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #192102 01/27/13 11:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

"seems like there's a growing trend .."

I hope that was intentional 'cause it was funny

it wasn't intentional, it was just stupid. (My trademark) <--also redundant

much like saying: "corrupt politician"
(that's redundant... you already SAID he was a politician...)

or "bad cat"

more:
http://grammar.about.com/od/words/a/redundancies.htm

but in this case there is some validity to combining the two words.
a TREND indicates movement in a specific direction, but does not imply the speed of movement
a GROWING TREND is picking up speed as it goes (and that's the point I hoped to make)

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Pat,

Good luck on your retirement. My wife will be retiring at the end of the year. I would call it an early retirement as I will be 55 and she a little less. We are fortunate to have worked for an excellent company for 30+ years apiece and have the means to check out early. Having not reached that goal line quite yet, I cannot answer your questions but I am very excited and confident about our retirement years. Our decision is mostly driven by "life is short". We share many of the same interests and will be sure to fill our time.
AND I have already reserved at least 2 hours of time in the studio to practice, record, etc!!

Todd
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well Pat, for me retirement came early out of necessity. I am now alone without my wife, family or friends and find it quite crappy.
I'd get a job if something was available that was interesting.I'd rather watch TV then work at WM

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
N
Apprentice
Apprentice
N
Quote:

....Our decision is mostly driven by "life is short"....

I would second this. I retired 5 years ago, and those years just flew by! Each passing day seems to pass faster as well. Combine that phenomenon with increasingly not being able to do things (physically) that you used to, and you begin to realize that time is shorter than you think. Enjoy the things you love to do while you can still do them.

If you have the opportunity to retire early, and have the financial means to do so, GO FOR IT!

Kawai VPC1 MIDI Controller; Asus A53E Laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit; BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPak (upgraded from 2014 EverythingPak), running from Laptop's Hard Drive.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'll chime in....
Many good suggestions have been offered above so no further comments on that.

I retired on 12/26/10 and have no regrets/reservations about my decision.
I was just short of 64 at that time.

I worked to live....not lived to work.
After doing the math, knowing that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and that the government will be changing things (read: screwing it up) I decided I could do it.
I love not having to live up to anyone's work expectations anymore.
My time is my own and I have music as my creative therapy.

That said, I'm on my wife's (she's only 54) insurance policy, had SS deduct the 99$ monthly Medicare payment (doctor said to do it) and I have VA benefits as a third source which I've used on occasion.

In fact, I wrote a song on that very day of my retirement called:
"I've Got Time (I've Just Retired)" (Key of C# @ 136 bpm).

It's my very first BIAB generated tune which I just finished about a week ago but I'm not totally pleased with my lead vocal quite yet.

Should I muster some courage I may post on soundclick later.
I think the retirees here could relate to the lyrics.
Pre-hook being:
"I'm out of the trenches and gave up the grind.
Got lots of time 'cause I've just retired"

As stated above...'la vida es muy corte'.

Well...that's my take on it.
Happy Retirement to us.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/28/13 11:07 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,713
Posts736,344
Members38,552
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM, Ricki Susic, kcowmusic
38,552 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181
rsdean 113
DC Ron 111
Noel96 81
WaoBand 77
dcuny 76
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.