Wow! I log in to see all this info, thank you everyone.

Mac and Eddie (good to see you back!, hope you are healing well)
I've bookmarked this thread, the detail is great Mac, thank you so much. You have given me the confidence to run it. I'm a manual reader, I like to read up before I touch anything.

Eddie, it was good to see your last suggestion to reinstall the browser. That's what I ended up doing late last night. It was a bit of pain getting my bookmarks back but everything is organised and cleaner looking. Good always comes out of bad.

Mountain Side, I too felt there was something else specific to Chrome as the other browsers were fine, which is the reason I finally decided to uninstall it and download a new one before resorting to the cleaner.

So to update, at the moment Chrome is running really well, just like it used to. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is fixed!

I've done a backup of the registry and a system restore point and I'll install the CCleaner and have a look at it. The cautious reader in me again, but with Macs' info on how to go about it I feel better equipped to tackle it.

Thank you everyone. What a great little family.

EDIT: Eddie, I downloaded a trial version SuperAntiSpyware, did a quick scan and it only found 20 adware tracking cookies. Whew!
I already have a trial version of AntiMalwarebytes so with these and the CCleaner I should be OK. Many thanks for your advice.

Last edited by yjoh; 02/09/13 04:41 PM.