Go To
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I'm still taking music lessons - flamenco right now.

I'm wondering who out there is still taking music lessons - either:
- face-to-face from a live human being
- via watching pre-recorded videos shared for free on YouTube or another website
- via watching pre-recorded videos after paying an online subscription fee to do so
- via computer program - such as PG products, or other popular online program products.

This would actually probably make a good poll, but the most interesting part of the response is the reasoning behind your choices, what value you feel you're getting, how much of you're hard-earned money you're investing (let me say weekly real-time Skype video lessons with one of the most renowned flamenco teacher in Spain are quite expensive - more than the going rate, but there is no free and effective alternative for this idiom as described above, due to the physical technique demands and unique chord voicings used in this type of music.

How much have you invested over you're life time ?

When I started back in 1986, I was a complete guitar beginner, and took lessons from a local music store for a couple of years from the same teacher to learn the basics. I don't remember exactly how many years - but probably 2 or 3...was initially paying I think $15/half hour and later $20/half hour. Then I got interested in classical guitar - and was paying $40-$50/hr from am more specialized teacher (classical juliard student) - that didn't last too long, too expensive. Many years later, in early 20's, heard the guitar trio and was blown away by Paco de Lucia - I bought a few of his albums, and said "wow - that's great, I want to be able to do that"...hence the beginning of many years of frustration lol - that was a very unrealistic goal. But isn't that what inspires many of us - an individual that has mastered his instrument and makes the most beautiful sounding music to our ears come out of it ? Is it any different for people that sell fitness videos ? Who's buying the video that has a picture of an overweight girl or guy on the cover with flabby muscles ? Inspiration and role modeling is a big part of the price we pay for things.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
None. That's not taking into account the countless hours I've taught myself (still doing so).

Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Joe, I take lessons from time to time at Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music. In recent years I have taken fiddle, banjo, vocals, and songwriting. Mostly group lessons. Loads of fun!

I have bought several online courses but I find I that I rarely follow through on those since I have an extremely busy life and other things seem to take priority unless I have some place and time to go for a lesson!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm signed up with an online course now. It's this:

http://www.jazzeveryone.com/

The lessons are by an 82 year old trumpet player named Willie Thomas. This cat has played with everybody. There's several free lessons available and they suited me so well I signed up for unlimited access for $15 a month. Even though I'm a keyboard guy who knows squat about playing trumpet, it doesn't matter. Theory is theory and I have no problem adapting his teachings to piano and that's true for any instrument.

I recommend this site for anybody. It's not just for jazz, you hear his pentatonic pair stuff and everything else he's teaching for that matter in all kinds of music.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Im new to piano play.. Its kinda late to begin when you are 29y but i don't care . Im taking lessons face-to-face with my music teacher and trying to improve my playing with text and video self-tutors in addtion.

-Johna Avis http://greenavis.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I get a music lesson everytime I either write or arrange within BIAB so I am guessing that is 3-4 times per week.

Later,

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
No lessons anymore, per se, the last lesson I took was about 2 years ago from Benny Chong, great jazz guitarist turned jazz ukulele player. I do continue learning through video, the latest being Sheryl Bailey's Bebop Flow 2 part series. Pat Martino's Creative Force videos were also very good, opened up the ears and the thinking. And I'm constantly referring back to my Larry Coryell and Emily Remler dvd's. And then there's my good friend Mac. He's been listening to me play for some years now. He's always had excellent suggestions as far as technique, scale choices and arpeggios.

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Quote:

Benny Chong, great jazz guitarist turned jazz ukulele player

Why in the world would one go from guitar to uke ? Just bored I guess, or liking the challenge of getting as much music out of 4 strings as you can out of 6. But you're really limiting your sonic possibilities and range with a uke, no ?

I'm have a very selective ear for jazz music, but I LOVE and am very inspired by Pat Martino's playing - especially the El Hombre album.

Yes - Mac has always given me great advice on this forum. I'm looking forward to taking some lessons with him soon.

Regarding Larry Coryell and Emily Remler - now I can't speak to the dvd's or their teaching ability - which dvd's are you watching ? As far as their albums, I lover her playing, don't really like his as much (at least not the little bit I've heard - maybe I've listened to the wrong albums).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Benny Chong, great jazz guitarist turned jazz ukulele player

Why in the world would one go from guitar to uke ? Just bored I guess, or liking the challenge of getting as much music out of 4 strings as you can out of 6. But you're really limiting your sonic possibilities and range with a uke, no ?

Joe, I will respectfully disagree. Check out Jake Shimabuduro on the Uke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnJfo74Y4rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3RbO7updc

Or these players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwZORh66A90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0pVWdVIOzc

As a jazz musician/listener you know that most all jazz guitarists use three or four strings when playing chords. Plus with electric ukes uke players have the same access to amps and effects as electric guitarists.

The bottom line for me is that it is the artist not the instrument.

Just my thoughts.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Joe, check out some of Benny's Youtube videos. He's arguably the best in the world.

Quote:

Regarding Larry Coryell and Emily Remler - now I can't speak to the dvd's or their teaching ability - which dvd's are you watching ?

Check out Em's Advanced Jazz and Latin Improv DVD. Very good section on the jazz minor scale. And while you're at it, check Sheryl Bailey out too. She will definitely open up your ears. Years ago, Larry Coryell's Advanced Jazz Guitar DVD was what really made me turn the corner from pop to jazz. I heard him play and man, I wanted some. It really isn't that advanced, as far as jazz goes, but it has some great vocabulary and is also a good introduction to the use of modes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I started to put this in the "Which high school/college class was most useful" thread until I realized it would have been more appropriate in a discussion called "What skill has given you the most pleasure?" Have to be musicianship, hands down.

I dabbled with violin and trumpet in elementary school. But in high school I was a member of a large (120 voice) award-winning a capella choir as well as smaller vocal ensembles composed of selected members of the larger choir. I sang second tenor and learned to read fluently for voice along with basic music theory.

In my senior year, while not officially enrolled, I picked up the double bass (the orchestra was led by the choir leader) and learned to read for bass, which has helped me to competently play as a church accompanist ever since. Oddly, I can play jazz and classical bass from charts, but I don't seem to have what it takes as a rock bassist.

After being discharged from the Army I attended a private school in New Orleans, where I studied piano and music theory. I think I went for less than two years, so I ended up musically semi-literate. I can read with much difficulty for keyboard and not at all for guitar. (It wasn't much of a school, and I wasn't much of a student.)

My primary instrument has always been guitar, on which I am almost entirely self taught. I picked it up during the summer of 1966 before my first year of high school. Two years later someone showed me how to fingerpick and I was off to the races. I have owned an electric since getting out of high school but didn't really consider myself an electric guitarist until getting seriously into BIAB in 2005. This despite the fact that I had played in bands for years as a pretty good rhythm guitarist and a so-so lead. I have taken a few lessons along the way, usually until I realized that I knew about as much as the teacher. (That would have been different had I studied classical guitar, of course.)

So throughout my life I have been in school and church choirs and bands as well as playing as a solo singer-songwriter and in various rock and blues bands that never went anywhere. Most of it was great fun, but it has taken me until relatively recently--through the use of BIAB--to consider myself a 'contender.' If I had it to do over again I'd definitely go the classical route on guitar, even though I consider myself a blues-rocker (it worked for Eddie Van Halen) and learn some more tricks on bass.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,409
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.