Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#218072 10/14/13 08:50 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi, I retired a couple of years ago and since then have gotten into playing guitar and singing the local bars. Now I would like to get into recording my own songs and to that end have purchased an audio interface, DAW etc.
All good so far but I would like to add drums, bass, maybe some slide guitar etc. all things I can't play, so I started researching the net, which lead me to BIAB and this site.
I have perused the Showcase section and am loving some of the stuff posted, which sound like just what I am after. However I am a bit confused, I appreciate that if I add a chord sequence the software will fill in with a melody but that's not really what I want I can play the rhythm guitar and sing the melody I simply want the software to follow that or at least let me tell it what to play. Can it do that? And can realband also do that?
Also, am I better downloading the software or buying the physical box/harddrive?
All and any advice gratefully received
Cheers Steve

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum,

I could go on for paragraphs but I won't . . . the answer to your questions is YES. With a little clarification re: the melody question (as it won't fill in "exactly like the record" melodies" but if you want it will fill in "a melody")

I purchase the harddrive as it serves as a back-up "just in case" but over the past decade or so I have never had a "just in case issue."

Bottomline, run to your phone and order as soon as you do that you will start being blown away with your results.

PS: While I do very little with Realband I understand that in itself it is a pretty darn good DAW. Others sill chime in.

Later,

Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Danny. Buy it, as it will do exactly what you are asking.

BiaB will only add melody or solo parts IF you ask it to do so. Personally I rarely use the soloist but on occasion I will use the melodist to generate a melody to get me out of “writer’s block”.

I am a guitarist also, but I am not a singer. What I do is to input the chords to BiaB and have it generate a backing track from any of the many styles. You can use either MIDI only, RealTracks only or a combination of the two, the sky is the limit on what you can do. I then move the tracks to Sonar but many here use the included RealBank DAW. You can move the tracks to your DAW.

Many times I will mute the bass and guitar parts and play them myself while other times I will use what BiaB gives me. Many times I will modify the BiaB parts, I use mostly MIDI but have been known to cut and paste RealTracks to get what I want. I then will add my leads.

If you think of BiaB as a new instrument with a learning curve you will be just fine. Watch the videos, go slow and have fun and you soon be having a ball!

There are functions in BiaB for live gigs however I do not play out anymore. Many others use those functions so they will be more helpful than I can.

I hope this helps and good luck!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
That's exactly why I bought BIAB -- to add bass and drums (and other things) to my songs.

So you pick an appropriate "style", pick a tempo and key, add your chord progression (and sections) and voila, you have a backing track for your song.

Picking a style is a trial and error type of thing and you can change it down the road if you need to. Once the BIAB song is done, you follow it and play acoustic guitar and sing. It takes some effort to make the song exactly the way you want it, but it is reasonably easy to get 90% of the way there.

I only use BIAB for original songs and I compromise with BIAB to get the song done -- but it mostly ends up the way I wanted it to. Feel free to peruse my BIAB at the link in my signature to see what I do with BIAB.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Veteran
Veteran
Also a nother powerful tool that you simply cannot purchase....
Is the knowledge and help you can garner in the "FORUMS".

There are some outstanding professionals who are great at
helping, and also many others that do contribute to the help sources
also.

And on top of that.. PG Music folks are top dog in sales, tech help
and following up on issures.

One of your own great ideas was to use the ShowCase forum.
Using their experience in music and using PG Music was immense help
to me. Will always be greatful for that.

I had PowerTracks Pro since 2005 then migrated to RealBand when
purchased BIAB.
A pure DAW was sorta new in its use, but Realband is very straight
forward relatively easy to use. Knowledge base determines that.
Results for a newbie in DAW area.

Also did not read the fine print above, but PG has a 30 day trial
period. Even using the basic version will put you into the ballgame.
Select a style, select the key, enter chords and play....

Good luck, and As Dr. Gannon seh's Have Fun

One last thing "when" you drop the hammer, purchase at least Ultra Pak Plus.
It contains terrific amount of styles and other support item.
$$$$ depends on how many "Taco Bell" 89 cent burrito's your willing to eat.

Last edited by seeker; 10/14/13 11:20 AM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Expert
Expert
I live in the UK. If I download BIAB then I get regular price. If I get it sent to me on a hard drive then I have to pay 20% VAT and a £10 'handling charge from the post office for the privilege of queuing up in the rain for the package.

Zero

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, it will do everything you asked about.

Since you have a DAW and an interface, you are ahead of the game...

Listen to my stuff...the top 5 songs on my music page are all excellent examples of what this software will let you do. I use BB to write, and then Real band to create/render the tracks..... I add my own guitars and mandolins and sing in Sonar... all mixing, mastering, and live recording in Sonar X1.

Buy the hard drive version..... it's plug and play and has the real tracks on it. Buy as far up the "food chain" as you can afford to buy. You will not regret that decision.

I started with the lower versions and soon realized I really needed the highest version they had (short of audophile).....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/14/13 12:18 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
As noted above, the tech/musical support provided here in this forum is unmatched. It is worth at least half the price of the software.

And PG Support is outstanding as well but I find that you will get multifaceted ideas/tips/tricks and advice on MUSICAL issues right here and that makes this forum the "go to" support resource.

It is VERY rare that any questions "stump the band" here...literally or figuratively.

Best,

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome Steve,

Hope you have a lot of fun here on the forum and with biab.

Only a few months to go now hopefully before the Big PG music annual sale and band in a box 2014 flying off the shelves, either in hard drive or downloadable format, which due to its size requires a good internet connection.

You will not be sorry you bought this software.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the friendly welcomes and advice, I was going to get BIAB for Christmas off the missus but is it being suggested that I might be better off waiting for a sale or indeed a new version. Is this an annual thing and is the discount worth the wait? After all I am a pensioner now and making the pennies count.
Cheers Steve

Last edited by Steve Mac; 10/15/13 05:04 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi
Around Christmas time the latest version of BIAB comes out andnius usually at a good discount for a short while.
Buy the Download version to save oN Taxes etc. Its a MONSTER DL but it all loaded without any bother - just took a long time. If the pennies matter, and I'm on a pension too now, then that is the way to go.
Cheers
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
If you REALLY need to watch pennies, then the download is cheaper. However, being a computer guy (and relying on the supplied hard drives sometimes) my personal opinion is that the included drive is worth the increase. Easily.

Considering it's a reliable 150 gig external drive (already loaded with PGMusic recording tools) has value. If you can swing it get the hard drive. If things are really that tight, I understand, but I think the preloaded hard drive is more than worth the price difference. I have PGMusic drives, many years old, that have been carried around in cars, etc .. and still work as expected years later. I can go to a new location (or a new computer) plug in the external drive, run BiaB/RB (and add Realtracks!) with very little time/effort getting things set up.

I appreciate the value of the drives.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
AND.... the hard drive isn't 100% full.... so there is even room to set up a new folder to save your finished tunes, and work in progress.

www.herbhartley.com

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The problem of the USB Hard Drive choice has to do with some several countries other than USA or Canada and the Import Laws governing them.

There is up to a 100% Import Duty imposed on hardware in these countries.

People who reside in those countries would save considerably by selecting either the download option or the DVD option (or BOTH if they enjoy a fast Internet connection, download and install and get started while awaiting shipment of the DVDs as backup.

They could always choose to purchase a USB drive locally and place the entire program and files on that drive if they wish or need to run the programs from it - and still save quite a bit of hard earned money.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Gotta love those protective import tariffs....

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,711
Posts736,322
Members38,550
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SLM, Ricki Susic, kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt
38,550 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 180