Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Hello,

I know that its hard to please everyone and a lot of people have been crying out for a new GUI for band in a box for a long time. So the best of luck to them that really asked for this feature and I hope they have many happy hours with it.

I myself have fairly poor eyesight (nystagmus) no where near been classified as blind though and to be honest I find the new GUI hard to see, its uncomfortable squinting at it all the time trying to make out the type etc.

I do use a resolution of 1280X960 and I set display to 150%. I found that the old GUI was brilliant in that if you increased the resolution or magnification of monitor, some of the biab icons might disappear but you could easily access them with the > buttons. Everything was so easy to see as well there.

Probably I will use the old GUI most of the time now both in biab and relaband, and just use the new realtracks that kind of thing that came with 2014. I hope I wouldn't be loosing too many things feature wise if I do this.

I might put it on wishlist forum if it would be possible for PG to add a few buttons to one of the older biab GUI so that visually impaired would have access to a few of the added 2014 features but sill be using the easier to see GUI.

This is not a rant or anything, indeed a lot of the other DAW software companies have the same problems for me, a bigger monitor is not always the solution as people with less than perfect eyesight like to sit close to it, and it involves too much head turning in that position.

I would just like to add that when the mixer was introduced a few years ago Dr Gannon and PG team fixed a mixer problem that was relevant to the screen resolution I was using. I was so grateful for that, and the mark of such great customer service that Pgmusic offer

Thanks
Axey

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks Axey

Your comments are worth noting for visually impaired folk, such as you describe yourself. Yes, I can understand that larger screen fonts, icons etc can be a tremendous aid. I also understand that these features can be difficult to deliver without creating undesirable issues elsewhere.

I do hope you can find a suitable configuration of the new version that caters for your needs.

Kind regards

Video Track

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I THINK I like the new GUI but am disappointed that the "buttons" and gubbins now takes up so much space at the screen top that there is little room at the bottom to put chords in!!
I liked the old GUI because it gave me more bars of chords so I could sit and view what I had done without scrolling around.
I too have a sight problem but so far havent found the new GUI a hindrance.
However - onwards and upwards PG - there are new bits of BIAB in this Release that I'm already enjoying messing with.
cheers
ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
axeplayer,

If you revert back to 2013 so that you have the old GUI, you should still be able to use all the new Realtracks and Supertracks. As far as I'm aware, no new engine of any kind was introduced in this update.

If I were you, I'd drop support@pgmusic.com an email and ask them. They'll soon let you know.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Peter is aware of these issues and said there will be new user controls coming in a near future update. I don't have any details but he implied it would help this a lot.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Thanks for that Bob,

To be honest even if it was just to use the old GUI with the 14 biab buttons added or even hidden such as user realtrack buttons would leave me very happy and have confidence to upgrade on a regular basis

Here are screenshots of both the new and the old at resolution of 1280X960 and display set at 150%, as you can probably see a better layout for people with vision impairment on the old GUI, though I do realise everyone is different, most users will love the new GUI

Axey

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
14.gif (475.98 KB, 188 downloads)
biab13.jpg (271.58 KB, 187 downloads)
Last edited by axeplayer; 12/02/13 12:46 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
axeplayer--

Once the ctrl-t toggle is made functional, I understand that it will also allow us to have the Chord Grid display as FULL SCREEN.

Which, of course, would be an improvement over the old GUI and then some.

Keep chacking for program Updates to be issued, always download and install those.

--Mac

Journeyman
Journeyman
I notice that the old mixer is still available, however it just floats on top of the new expanded mixer. I think a good option would be that if you choose the floating mixer, then the fixed panels also drop off and leave you with the old adjustable toolbars.
That would help those with sight issues and also those who prefer the extra working area.
Col

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I don't have a vision problem, but still prefer maximum space to see the chord chart for live gigging. I just discovered this 2014 upgrade a few minutes ago. My first reaction, before hearing any of the demos, was the amount of stuff at the top of the screen that I don't need or want to see. That's a downer for me. Hope there's a solution for that.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We are adding a patches tab to the Mixer, that displays the patch names in as large a font as possible.

Keep in mind that the previous version (BB 2013) displayed a single tracks' patch name on the main screen, in a small font. This version lists all track's patch names

Also, the last version had no text for most buttons, so there was nothing to squint to read. This version has text for all buttons, and it is the same point size as typical windows buttons.

There is the ability for us to make different skins of this GUI in the future, and a 'easy to read' big font version would be one consideration. Though it is hard to please both sides - "make the toolbars smaller" and "make the toolbars easier to read"

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
A
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
A
Thanks a lot Peter for looking at this issue. I really appreciate it as I would think many with less than perfect eyesight do on here, your desire to help everyone.

I understand that it is early days yet and more changes are in the pipeline via updates.

In my posted attachment of 2014 a lot of the buttons are missing, perfectly understandable considering that I am using 1290x960 resolution at 150% diplay magnification on windows 7. As long as there is an alternative way to do a certain thing if a button is not able to be shown through a menu or right click then I'm more than happy. The ability to add/remove buttons would be a great help too.

Maybe a "switch to classic GUI view" if it was not too difficult to implement, might be one of wishlist items for people like me who sort of knew and even liked the old GUI.

Thank you very much Peter for all your help and your great software.

Axeplayer

Journeyman
Journeyman
I'm running 2013 so I have not seen the new GUI yet. I guess this may have already been mentioned but what about being able to add your own toolbar options according to need? Some prefer this or that while other may not want this or that etc. Customisable toolbars? I know for myself there are many buttons I never use cause I don't understand them yet?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: PaulH
I'm running 2013 so I have not seen the new GUI yet. I guess this may have already been mentioned but what about being able to add your own toolbar options according to need? Some prefer this or that while other may not want this or that etc. Customisable toolbars? I know for myself there are many buttons I never use cause I don't understand them yet?

That also is in the pipeline for future Update delivery.

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon

There is the ability for us to make different skins of this GUI in the future, and a 'easy to read' big font version would be one consideration. Though it is hard to please both sides - "make the toolbars smaller" and "make the toolbars easier to read"

My eyesight is perfect but I'm also having trouble reading the new GUI
An easy to read big font version would certainly help

thanks peter

Mal

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Axeplayer,

With the next patch (build 376, out later today or tomorrow), we added a feature where the "patches" tab of the mixer (ie press the Patches tab of the mixer) will show the patch names in the largest font possible. That's helpful to read the patch names.

Here's a pic of it

http://screencast.com/t/ys1Jb89vqN

Note: As stated, you'll have to update to build 376 to see this, and it will be uploaded by tomorrow (Dec.4)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
For all us old guys, may I be the first to say thanks. grin

Veteran
Veteran
Peter, in looking at your screenshot, why is there anything in the three unused tracks? They say Not Used, Not Used and the Soloist track says Empty. All have a patch name assigned. I noticed this earlier and forgot to ask about it. Where is the patch names coming from if that song and style are not using those tracks? If they're not part of the style why is there anything there at all, shouldn't those tracks be blank until the user decides to add them? To me it clutters up the mixer and causes confusion.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, we could leave them blank. I assumed people would ask why they were blank, so we put <not used>.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
I did not receive my hard drive yet but can anyone please clarify this for me? Does the "chord chart" in the new gui have smaller font than 2013, and if it is can it be adjusted larger?

Thanks,

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
I did not receive my hard drive yet but can anyone please clarify this for me? Does the "chord chart" in the new gui have smaller font than 2013, and if it is can it be adjusted larger?

Thanks,

Font is about the same size when opened at he default settings, but we also have the same options we've always had in Custom dialog, to set fontsize ourselves selecting from a list of various Font sizes. You can make the Chord symbols larger.

Once you get the program and install it, start a new post to find out the exact commands to do that if you can't figure it out.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,697
Posts736,154
Members38,545
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG
38,545 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173