Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Greetings, everyone, and belated Happy New Year!

I'm a long-time BIAB user and I'm loving BIAB 2014 but I have discovered one issue that I need to learn how to deal with or perhaps request a patch for the next update.

I use BIAB as the praise band in my church; I play guitar and sing along with 3 other singers and it sounds great. I use BIAB for drums, bass, piano, B3 organ, and horns sometimes (all RealTracks, of course). On slow worship songs I almost always use strings (MIDI) instead of organ and on the final chord of the song, I allow the strings to sustain through the last held chord (by entering C... for example) but I have always entered F5 for that measure and changed the strings level by anywhere from -10 to -20 (give or take) so they won't be so loud on that last, held chord after a fairly loud final chorus. I need to do this because the other instruments (piano and bass) fade naturally but the strings do not.

However, with the new legato feature, a volume reduction on that final held chord does not affect notes that were already playing. I found I could reduce the volume in the next-to-last measure with the F5>change by... technique but the result is that the strings drop in volume too early, one full measure before the final chord. If I could somehow turn off the legato feature ONLY IN THE LAST MEASURE(S) where there is a held, final chord, that would fix it. A setting that turns the legato effect completely off throughout the entire song wouldn't be my preference as I enjoy the feature except on that last measure...

Hoping that someone knows a way to fix this,
Jim

Last edited by 1manband; 01/07/14 09:02 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The reason is simple enough, those held notes have already been intitiated before the change is invoked, they are carrying over from the previous bar, which is the feature itself, actually.

Since it is a RealTrack and not MIDI based, I don't think there is an easy way to stop that inside BB.

Use of RB is another story, there the entire track set is laid out on the timeline and you might be able to invoke Audio Fadeout on the Strings track.

An easier way that stays in Band in a Box might be to simply invoke a Fade out of the strings, using the Bar Setting dialog, and starting a bit further back by a few bars on the Strings track.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jim,

One possible solution with BIAB would be to turn off the 2-bar ending, add the fade and get the strings playing exactly as you want them to. Then, once you're happy with how they sound, Freeze the track they're on.

Now turn the 2-bar ending back on and regenerate the song. Because the strings are frozen, they won't be affected by the regeneration. (At least that's the theory. I haven't tried it.)

Mac is correct in that this would be very easy to accomplish in Realband.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi, Mac,

The strings are MIDI, not a RealTrack, in case that matters (see my original post).

I'll try the fade function on the strings only and see if that takes care of it.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim
Psalm 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi, Noel,

I never use the 2-bar ending, I always make my own.

I'll try the fade.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim

BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 1manband
Hi, Noel,

I never use the 2-bar ending, I always make my own.

I'll try the fade.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

The principle of freezing could still be very useful even if you make your own endings. It's worth playing around with.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Mac,

The strings are MIDI, not a RealTrack, in case that matters (see my original post).

I'll try the fade function on the strings only and see if that takes care of it.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim
If the Strings are Midi, then I think the best way is to use the Expression Controller to add Expression to the bar(s) that are required.

In Piano Roll display, select Controller MSB 11 (Expression), and then drag the Expression at the strings track where you want them to fade:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
08-Jan-14 05-46-33 PM.jpg (33.71 KB, 143 downloads)
08-Jan-14 05-53-16 PM.jpg (45.67 KB, 142 downloads)
08-Jan-14 05-54-50 PM.jpg (79.69 KB, 142 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, you can turn the feature off, either for a single song, or entirely. For a single song, you do it via the main menus - edit - song settings

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I tried this but I've never used this part of the program before. I thought I had figured out how to do it, but sometimes I hear the fade I created with the procedure you outlined and sometimes I don't. When I did hear the fade (which completely solved the original problem, by the way), I resaved the song but upon regenerating or reopening the song, the fade was gone; it's not being saved. I even tried doing the "Save as..." instead of the regular "Save" function, still no luck. I recreated the fade several times and saved it but every time the song is regenerated or reopened, the fade is just not there.

What could I be doing wrong?

Jim

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you, Peter. I guess I could throw in the towel and turn the legato feature off, but that feature was one of the reasons I was excited about BIAB 2014.

I looked where you told me to go for turning it off for a single song, but couldn't find that option anywhere. Actually, if I were going to turn it off, I would rather just turn it completely off for all songs, but I can't find anyplace to do that, either. I do have build 380. Would you please tell me exactly where to find those options?

I'm really much more interested in making VideoTrack's suggestion of fading the strings track via expression controller MSB 11 work right; I can make the fade happen but I can't get it to save. Any help that you (or anyone else) could provide with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Have you tried Freezing the track after entering the cc11's?

Don't forget to Save again so it will open the same.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
I'm really much more interested in making VideoTrack's suggestion of fading the strings track via expression controller MSB 11 work right; I can make the fade happen but I can't get it to save. Any help that you (or anyone else) could provide with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim, the settings save with my song, I just opened up my small test from yesterday to verify. But remember they will be 'hidden' next time you load, until you go back to view the CC 11 message.

Mac's idea to freeze once you get the sound you want is absolutely spot on also.

Regards
Trevor

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
09-Jan-14 11-15-44 AM.jpg (24.15 KB, 103 downloads)
09-Jan-14 11-19-11 AM.jpg (32.76 KB, 103 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi, Trevor,

Thank you (and Mac and Peter) so much for helping me with this.

I did as you say and called up those settings after saving and then regenerating or reopening the song, but they simply did not save for me. I could not see the fade on the piano roll and more importantly, I could not hear the fade. I wouldn't mind not being able to see it as long as I can hear it.

Yes, I guess I could freeze the track but if I could get the expression settings to save with the song without freezing it, that would be my preference. I rather like the way unfrozen tracks vary a bit each time you play the song. But if I have to freeze it, I will, even though it seems that I shouldn't have to...right? Did you have to freeze it to get the settings to "stick"?

Maybe I need more detailed instructions? Here's what I did: I clicked on Piano Roll view, selected the S button for strings, clicked on the Control button, then selected "11 Expression MSB" and then in the lower box, I drew the diagonal fade line from the top left corner of the first measure where I want the fade to begin (measure 48 in this case) to the bottom right corner in the middle of measure 49 where the song ends. Measure 48 has for the final chord "E...d" (the drums are muted) then in the middle of measure 49 I have "A." to end the hold chord on beat 3. But after drawing the fade line, I don't see anything else to do except click on "Save" (or even "Save As.." and then replay the song. When it replays without regenerating, the fade is there but not if I regenerate the song or open another song and come back. Am I leaving out a step or something?

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
Jim,

Here's some tips that might help resolve:
1:
When you select S for Strings, are you seeing notes on the piano roll at the place where you want the fade to occur?

2:
If you play the track immediately (before saving etc) do you hear the fade occurring? (You shouldn't need to save before being able to review the changes)

If not, maybe your midi device doesn't accepts these control change messages (highly unlikely).

3: What midi device are you using for strings?

4: Presumably, the strings track is in yellow or light blue on the Mixer Windows? (i.e. it is definitely a midi track)

5: There's two(2) S buttons. The right-most one is the Soloist Track, not the Strings Track. Just checking.

6: What is the Channel set to (could be All, but make sure it matches your Strings Synth)

7: In Notation view, if you select the # button to view the Event List, do you see the Expression Events for that track?

Hope these tips help
regards
Trevor

09-Jan-14 11-19-11 AM.jpg (36.37 KB, 90 downloads)
09-Jan-14 01-33-55 PM.jpg (48.5 KB, 91 downloads)
09-Jan-14 01-38-55 PM.jpg (27.95 KB, 90 downloads)
09-Jan-14 01-42-29 PM.jpg (112.57 KB, 91 downloads)

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Trevor,

1. Yes
2. Yes - if it doesn't regenerate in order to play the song. (Sometimes it does even though I click on Play, not Generate and Play.
3. Internal - VST/DXi
4. Yellow
5. S button on the left for Strings
6. All
7. Don't know. If I hit #, it automatically switches to M (melody). Couldn't make it stay on the strings track.

I appreciate your help, but I've spent all the time on this I can. I give up. I'll freeze the track - that does work. I don't like it frozen, but if that's what I have to do, I'll do it. I've never used this technique for fading before and I'm really glad you suggested it.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
Trevor,

1. Yes
2. Yes - if it doesn't regenerate in order to play the song. (Sometimes it does even though I click on Play, not Generate and Play.
3. Internal - VST/DXi
4. Yellow
5. S button on the left for Strings
6. All
7. Don't know. If I hit #, it automatically switches to M (melody). Couldn't make it stay on the strings track.

I appreciate your help, but I've spent all the time on this I can. I give up. I'll freeze the track - that does work. I don't like it frozen, but if that's what I have to do, I'll do it. I've never used this technique for fading before and I'm really glad you suggested it.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim
Your answer to 7 is probably correct, you can only edit the Melody or Soloist Track

I believe that you cannot change the midi on the Strings Track

Can you record your own strings onto the Melody or Soloist Track and then perform the edit? That would work I'm sure.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If cc11 isn't sticking, try using cc7 Volume on just the string track instead. Won't sound any different at that point, since you are Fading Out and not wanting to make the strings louder than the original cc7 setting.

--Mac

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Mac. I'll try that. Wonder why the cc11 wouldn't stick?

Jim

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you like, send me a PM here and I'll send you a good email addy where you can attach the songfile, I'd like to investigate...

--Mac

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I think I have figured out something. Maybe I should have known it all along, but I didn't.

If I draw the controller 11 fade on the final held chord in the strings track in the Piano Roll view and click on "PLAY" (or hit the space bar which does the same thing), the song will almost always regenerate (because of the change that's been made, I guess) but in the process of regenerating, it loses the fade completely. Virtually every time.

Here's what I have just discovered: after I draw the fade, if I then double-click on the bar # while still in the Piano Roll view and play from that point, it won't regenerate and the fade stays intact. But if I then just save it, then play another song, then come back to the one with the fade, it's gone again. The only way to lock it in is to draw the fade, double-click on the bar # where it starts, play from that point in the song, then save it, AND THEN FREEZE THE TRACK. It seems to me that this exact sequence of steps is the only way I can keep the fade. I can live with that (but I still wish I didn't have to freeze it).

Note to Peter (or anyone who knows the answer): I don't think I ever saw any further instructions on your suggestion to turn off the legato feature, either per song or globally. I have looked and looked but can't find any place to deselect, turn off, or uncheck it.

Jim

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,722
Posts736,521
Members38,556
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Rogee, John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa
38,555 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190