Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tributeman
Mac's made some really good points. MIDI can sound bad for two reasons.

1: the MIDI data just doesn't cut it, sloppy, too rigid, un-natural, no expression where there should be, etc.
2: the synth that the MIDI is controlling has lousy sound samples.

Have a listen to some of these samples, all produced from MIDI data, and a decent synth.

Regards
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Hi Trevor like Ive said I really need to be educated on this what you linked was absolutely amazing the strat WOW! Ive gone on to Nortons site and they dont sound nothing like that yet people have said good things about that site.. so again why is what Im hearing different to the link you sent? me could it be my soundcard if so I will definately change it to get those great sounds.

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Those MIDI files were made using the Ketron MIDI synth for the sounds.

Which is the point.

The Ketron SD2 hardware MIDI module sounds very good indeed.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
All my styles were also made by a musician (me) playing in real time into a MIDI sequencer. I use keyboards, wind controller and drum controllers.

After recording many minutes of each instrument into a sequencer, snippets of those live recordings were imported into BiaB.

MIDI, like anything else musician requires a learning curve. But because it's easy to play without a learning curve by step-entering, a lot of people do it that way. The result is what gives MIDI a bad name.

It's like the drums. It's easy to hit the drums but it takes a lot of practice to be a drummer.

Well, it's even easier to get a note out of a synth using MIDI, so a lot more people attempt it.

To get good MIDI you need two things:
  1. A good musician to play the MIDI controller - in real time
  2. A good sounding software or hardware synthesizer

And the good musician is the most important of the two.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Copy and Paste what Bob just said above.

Very clear, concise and to the point explanation of what I've been tring to say in too many words.

What Notes just typed be a Truphemism, ya'll.

There aren't any shortcuts to Strong Performance.

--Mac

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
A good musician to play the MIDI controller - in real time
A good sounding software or hardware synthesizer
And the good musician is the most important of the two.
as Im not a good musician this might make me stay recording RTs BUT!

Maybe I should get clued up on the above Bob..Ive got a small recording studio for my songwriting using the Tascam 24 track for additional tracks mastering and mixdown..Obviously anything that will improve my demos I want to know about but as Ive just been using real tracks I havent had no problems regarding that side of it.The keyboard I use is one Ive had for quite a long time the yamaha PSR 620 mostly for strings but dont really use it that much nowadays.Any advice would be appreciated Thanks Frankie

Last edited by tributeman; 03/10/14 11:40 AM.

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Veteran
Veteran
There is only one road I know of to becoming a good musician: education and practice.

Unfortunately it isn't instant gratification. You have to learn skills and then use those skills to get to the next level. One step at a time, each new adventure results in new knowledge and a new satisfaction. It's a journey, not a destination, I could live to 200 and still have new things to learn.

On the other hand: Perhaps it's fortunate that it isn't instant gratification - if it was easy, anyone could do it and I wouldn't be able to make a living doing music and nothing but music.

A good music theory book, a lot of practice, and if possible a good teacher are all worth their weight in gold.

You would probably be surprised at how much you could learn in an hour per day. IMHO Turning off the TV for an hour and moving along the path to musical ability is much more rewarding than watching another sitcom or reality show.

Sorry if I sound like I'm on the soap box, I'm trying to be encouraging but sometimes the most gentle words just don't come.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That's a good soapbox to stand on, Notes.

--Mac

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
thanks Bob I apreciate the advice as I will be 70 this year Im not sure if I need to start taking up musicianship especially as it appears there are musicians on BIAB doing that for me.. Ive written some good songs that people like John David bass guitarist with Dave Edmunds and a writer of over 200 cover songs are quite impressed with (the RTs not just my songs)What I really wanted to know is can I improve my demos again using MIDI and without having to learn to play above what I do now.I play reasonable rhythm guitar and play chords on my keyboard.I was a lazy musician as I earned my living as a singer and I cant see me changing anytime soon.But if its the only way to go to improve my demos using midi then its certainly given me food for thought Thanks Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you are more comfortable on guitar than keyboard, consider one of the MIDI output guitars or adding a MIDI output pickup with converter to an existing guitar.

Then the guitar can be used to record MIDI tracks.

Three note chords, set to the Strings patch, for example, can make it rather easy for you to come up with your own String tracks. Or Piano. Vibes. etc.

--Mac

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Mac great advice any suggestions on a good midi output pickup for my guitar which is a semi accoustic Fender Cheers Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Veteran
Veteran
The bad part about MIDI guitar is there is a slight delay while the pickups analyze the frequency of the vibrating strings.

The newer pickups are much better than they used to be, and I'd advise you to check out the pickups you decide to buy and include the latency in your decision.

On the other hand, if the guitar is a few milliseconds behind you can always advance the MIDI track a few clock tics after you record it.

In the very early days I bought a pitch to MIDI controller to record my sax into MIDI, and it had quite a bit of latency, but moving the MIDI data fixed it. Now I use a Wind MIDI controller that has for all practical purposes no latency.

And although you are 70, it's not too late to start learning. Most experts say that the way to prevent senility is to learn something new, like a new language. And learning musicianship is like learning a new language.

At 70 I wouldn't expect you to become a Jeff Beck but it could be interesting and could even improve your song writing.

I picked up guitar in my mid 60s and am having a great time with it. My guitar playing friends can't believe how quickly I got pretty decent at it. But it is my 7th instrument so I carried a lot of baggage with me.

On the other hand, I'm trying to learn to converse in the Spanish language, and at times it seems pretty hopeless to me. I can get 'baby talk' sentences. But often if I ask a question, I can't understand the answer. But I plan to live to 100 so I have lots of time to improve.

Actually, I plan to live forever - so far - so good wink

Whichever way you go, I hope it works for you.

Notes

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
thanks for your advice I guess you didnt pick up my "lazy"tag..the demos Im doing now with just real tracks are in my opinion very suitable for getting to a publisher or producer..cant believe the demos I sent them in the early days yet still managed to get a publishing deal with Rondor Music.Im not saying Im giving up on midi but my question was.. is it just renewing software keyboard etc looks as if its a bit more than that.But again thanks for the advice.frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Veteran
Veteran
We're all lazy about one thing or another - or at least most of us.

I'm never lazy about music - because I love it, on the other hand there are a lot of other chores around here and it's easy to say, "You know, I need to learn a new song for the duo" or "That new Band-in-a-Box style needs tweaking and I think I know just what it needs," wink

Good luck to you Frankie.

I think the RTs can be an advantage for a songwriting demo as some publishers listen with different ears from the general public.

Notes

Expert
Expert
Mac and other comments...

Very cogent comments. I can sure tell the difference between some copied midi tracks that are commercially availble.

The sampled sounds and songs that manufacturers put in their keyboards are really great, even without being midied. When I play my old Motif ES , the data produced, eithr audio or midi recorded or transmitted by midi are superb. Same for the other sounds produced by my keyboards, even the old, old M1+...

Don't know if any of you are using Windows 8, or 8.1....and using some of the free software programs that are available from X-Box...there must be over 75 of them that you can install for nothing...or for a few dollars...

The sounds you get for 3 hours of, say, Smooth Jazz selection, are fantastic when played through some good speakers. Whether are not they were recorded with straight audio, or with midi controlled instruments, is hard to tell. But the Presnce of today's various approaches to recording, can grab your attention in just milliseconds!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,644
Posts735,399
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.