Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Redneck intensity applied to music. 

Chris Thile and Michael Daves playing a Tiny Desk” concert

Michael Daves gives the kind of redneck intensity to music that you would normally only see applied to Nascar, football, Duck Dynasty or bigfoot hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_CKeb2gPQ8&list=PL7MZ550uvzVoroYByjBumJpLloHz0qjOu&index=6

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Steady hittin' on TWO and FOUR.

The backbeat.

Any Black church crowd would know where to clap, and it is entirely in SWing, not EVen feel.

Call it "redneck intensity" if you like, but I know where - and whom - that comes from.

Know why you often see black guys standin' around with their hands on their crotch?

it is because the white guys done STOLE everything else! grin

I do like their playing abilities, would love to jam with them, but for some reason they - and their audiences - don't seem to want me around, Bob. Sad.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
spinning off on what Mac said, the thought occurred to me as I watched these two outstanding young bluegrass musicians ... it seems kind of strange that the banjo's origins are in Africa, but bluegrass as a genre is dominated by white musicians.

Having said that, this ol' Carolina boy is looking forward to Merlefest where a group of young 'uns from N. Carolina is bustin' that truism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmPf1CJaF5s

http://www.carolinachocolatedrops.com/

If you make it to Merlefest, they're playing Thursday April 24th at 8 pm on the Watson stage

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The world of music has always been too racially segregated and still is so for at least my entire lifetime.

Why there even has to be a "black bluegrass band" that has to emphasize that fact in their chosen name is one of those things that hurts my heart.

And that's not these kids' fault.

As to why the banjo is now predominantly a "white" person's instrument has its roots in the days of slavery when the drum was outlawed after the slave owners understood that the drum could be used for actual communication at a distance among Africans. Placing strings across the top of a drum head and inserting a bridge between the two has its roots on one of the "Goto" instruments of northern Africa, which also had movable frets. Here in the days of slavery, the black man could claim that his banjo was not a "drum" due to the strings on it. But that, too, was stolen from us and used by white "Mummers" in sheer derision and sorry mimic of us, complete with blackface makeup and long parades.

Once the white race takes something away from us like that, it is near impossible to interest our next generation in that thing. Which explains why we have Rap to contend with. Rap is headed in the same direction as all the rest. That's my prediction.

Just attemptin' to speak real truth to real power here.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mac,

The “redneck intensity” I referred to was aimed at Michael Daves and his look and style. He reminds me of some of the old timers I saw as a kid with the veins popping out on their neck as they reached for the high notes to get that “high lonesome sound”. I get a kick out of watching him.

As far as you not being welcome to jam because of your race, then I can only say you’ve encountered pea brained racists. They aren’t the norm on the acoustic music scene.

In the circle of musicians that I’ve played with, you would have been welcomed with open arms.

As to why the Carolina Chocolate Drops chose that name, you’d have to ask them. I checked on their web page and it gave the bands history but no clue to the name. My guess would be they wanted something memorable and humorous.

I’d love to catch one of their live shows.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat,

Merlefest always has a top notch line up, but it's gotten so big and I've gotten too old to drive that far to fight the crowds.

Since it's almost in your back yard, I'd highly recommend that you and your son check it out. I went the first several years and had a blast. It's grown exponentially every year since then.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Has not been my experience, Bob, and you KNOW I used to try to go out amongst 'em.

Only accepted up to a point, and that was only because I was the guy trying to make any inroads there. The only guy, of either race.

Some would let me jam with 'em, none was even remotely willing to hire, or even to consider such a thing, actually.

Many were sincerely skilled players, which at one point in my guitar playing life was very important to me, but there was always this invisible and often unspoken line which I could not/should not cross. I suppose that many of them thought that just my being there was proof of a nonproblem or the likes, that alone actually speaks volumes for itself.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mac,

I can only speak for myself, but I don’t base my opinion of someone on what color they are. They could be purple with lime green stripes but if they’ve got the chops and they’re a nice person, then they’re alright by me.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Pat,

Merlefest always has a top notch line up, but it's gotten so big and I've gotten too old to drive that far to fight the crowds.

Since it's almost in your back yard, I'd highly recommend that you and your son check it out. I went the first several years and had a blast. It's grown exponentially every year since then.

Hard to believe, but in all the years I've lived in NC, I've never made it to ANY of the fiddlers conventions, Merlefest, Floydfest, Jameoke, etc etc

This year I finally decided to go. I don't like crowds.. but I like good music. If you ever decide to go again, you're welcome to stay at my home in order to save money on lodging.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
as far as the Carolina Chocolate Drops name... to me that's just typical N Carolina tongue in cheek humor

as far as the idea of stealing anything... some things can't truly be owned by anybody, and music is one of them. Every culture borrowed from whatever came before them, then built on that from their culture's perspective. The next generation or culture borrows and changes it again.

Like every ideology, music is in a constant state of flux, and people of all kinds are involved in the change.

I could see those kids as token representations of something from the past.. but I prefer to see them as current speakers of the universal language... like musical prospectors, staking their claim to a sound that is uniquely theirs.

As far as being excluded from the club... that isn't just a racial thing... its the Montagues and Capulets... its the Hatfields and McCoys, its the Serbs and the Croats... Its the Republicans and the Democrats, the Catholics and the Protestants, The Sharks and the Jets, etc etc

As long as people focus on the things that make them different and not on the things that make them the same, opposition will make cooperation difficult if not impossible.

Opposition and cooperation are both two-way streets. Each of us can be part of the solution or part of the problem.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Hard to believe, but in all the years I've lived in NC, I've never made it to ANY of the fiddlers conventions, Merlefest, Floydfest, Jameoke, etc etc

This year I finally decided to go. I don't like crowds.. but I like good music. If you ever decide to go again, you're welcome to stay at my home in order to save money on lodging.

Pat,

I'm glad to hear that you're going to check out some of those festivals. The crowds are a pain but they're also a good indicator of the desire for acoustic music without all of the electronic doo dads.

You'll love Merlefest. I appreciate your generous offer. I may surprise you and take you up on it.

Have fun my friend.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Mac,

I can only speak for myself, but I don’t base my opinion of someone on what color they are. They could be purple with lime green stripes but if they’ve got the chops and they’re a nice person, then they’re alright by me.

And you and I wouldn't have the problem.

But you are one freethinker and basically good man out of the majority, many of whom may be good at heart, but are also either reluctant or perhaps afraid to jump in there and take sides when the few show their ignorance.

They do not pick sides, they do not do anything other than stand there and watch while I alone have to deal with the whatever foul thing that comes from from the few.

It am what it am, my friend. Don't shoot the messenger because you do not like the message.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

as far as the idea of stealing anything... some things can't truly be owned by anybody, and music is one of them. Every culture borrowed from whatever came before them, then built on that from their culture's perspective. The next generation or culture borrows and changes it again.

The glaring problem inherent in that statement, Pat, is the harsh penalty paid by those who created and recorded new and different sounds - but could only SELL their recordings and performances to a customer base that represented some scant 16% of the overall population at best, of which an even smaller percentage was actually able to purchase and enjoy the recordings in the first place. Or even get radio airplay, which was reserved for the scant few "race" stations of the era.

Then a caucasion performer and band could record their version of pretty much the same tune - and enjoy all the financial benefit of it.

The history of American Music is rife with examples.

Rufus Payne was the brother behind Hank Williams.

Today, Rufus is buried in an unmarked grave.

He didn't fare much better as to living status but had to observe Hank's phenomenal success.

Or The Rooftop Singers, who had a huge hit with "Walk Right In" -- redone again by Dr. Hook -- I am constantly both amused and hurt by the number of Folk Music aficionados who do not even know the name of the man whom The Rooftop Singers lifted this great music from - and the trick used to do so was even more underhanded - they took the music from one of his songs and added basically his hooks and lyrics from ANOTHER of his great songs.

Gus Cannon performing his song:

What? You say that The Rooftop Singers made it a hit by composing their own musical hook with the 12-string there?

Not so fast, they got that offa the same guy, from another song:

*Was Mr. Cannon's reward for being the originator of this music commensurate with the earnings that the Rooftop
Singers gleaned? Could he have moved to and lived in the same neighborhood as them? Did he?

The harsh and true answer is that he was supposed to be glad that these younger caucasion entertainers had "discovered" his music and popularized it. When it was already there to begin with.

Did you know that Eric actually got lost when recording his solo to "Crossroads" and has admitted that now? He got the beat turned around, couldn't find where the ONE was - and thus recorded the ONLY solo I've ever heard him do that was honestly paying homage to the backbeat. Again we see the situation where the same man's lyrics from one song were combined with the music from another here, Cream's version is a compilation of parts of 2 Johnson songs - "Crossroads Blues" and "Traveling Riverside Blues."

Quote:

The version on the album was not edited down, although the booklet for the Crossroads boxed set implies that it was. Eric Clapton didn't like to talk about the song and has said it was an inferior performance because the trio got the time disjointed a bit in Eric's third solo chorus - that is, the first chorus (instrumental "verse") of his second solo. So, he never really praised that performance. When pressed on the length and editing issues, he might say something along the vague lines of he supposed it was originally longer, because the Cream usually played it longer live.
At the end of the song, Jack Bruce announces, "Eric Clapton, please," over Eric's saying, "Thank you" (both said simultaneously). Eric follows up by saying (probably turning toward Jack), "Kerfuffle." This is British English for "foul-up," referring to the time disjoint back in midsong.

Source: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1285

Now, this is always about the time that one of my cauacasion acquaintances will interject something along the lines of, "Eric gave CREDIT to Robert Johnson on the album cover" or the likes. Wow, he gave a dead man "credit". Anybody ever take a look inside Clapton's guitar safe?

"Cro$$road$" grin

Quote:

On November 5, 1956, The Nat King Cole Show debuted on NBC. The variety program was the first of its kind hosted by an African-American, which created controversy at the time.[11] Beginning as a 15-minute pops show on Monday night, the program was expanded to a half hour in July 1957. Despite the efforts of NBC, as well as many of Cole's industry colleagues—many of whom, such as Ella Fitzgerald, Harry Belafonte, Frankie Laine, Mel Tormé, Peggy Lee, Eartha Kitt, and backing vocal group The Cheerleaders worked for industry scale (or even for no pay)[11] in order to help the show save money—The Nat King Cole Show was ultimately done in by lack of a national sponsorship.[11] Companies such as Rheingold Beer assumed regional sponsorship of the show, but a national sponsor never appeared.[11]

The last episode of The Nat King Cole Show aired December 17, 1957. Cole had survived for over a year, and it was he, not NBC, who ultimately decided to pull the plug on the show.[12] Commenting on the lack of sponsorship his show received, Cole quipped shortly after its demise, "Madison Avenue is afraid of the dark."[

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_King_Cole

There are literally so many examples of this musical prejudice/theft-after-the-fact that I could write a book.

And I just may do that.

Meanwhile, let's have a good laugh, there was one TV series that made the point in no uncertain terms via use of parody:

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
There are literally so many examples of this musical prejudice/theft-after-the-fact that I could write a book.

I don't disagree with any of that Mac.

I was expanding on it, not denying it. The problem is more pervasive than race. In the final analysis, wherever two groups divide themselves over some perceived difference, the one with the most power will take advantage of the other group.

But its worth pointing out that the guys you mention as being the originator of the ideas... they got their ideas from somebody else too... how far back do we go to find the "originator" of the idea?

BTW, the lizard-mammal clip was a good way to make the point.

edit: having said all that, the examples you gave aren't the evolution of a style or idea... they're direct copies. Weren't the originals protected under copyright? Didn't the subsequent artists have to pay a licensing fee to record somebody's existing song?

Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/05/14 10:57 AM. Reason: followup
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

But its worth pointing out that the guys you mention as being the originator of the ideas... they got their ideas from somebody else too... how far back do we go to find the "originator" of the idea?

That's not the point at all.

One performer or group earned enough loot from making a recording of the other's recording and the former gets to live like kings in fine houses located in fine neighborhoods while the original composer/performer is forced to exist in a tar paper shack or an inner city "ghetto" situation. The white group earns enough to send their kids to college from the recording, the black originator of the music does not earn enough from the licensing fees of the white recording to do much more than purchase groceries and maybe a used car.

Quote:
edit: having said all that, the examples you gave aren't the evolution of a style or idea... they're direct copies. Weren't the originals protected under copyright? Didn't the subsequent artists have to pay a licensing fee to record somebody's existing song?

In some cases, licensing was likely paid. But the amount of money that reaches the original recording artist - if they even still or ever owned the rights to the recording in the first place, often they did not - is a very small fraction as compared to the amount of money that the white artists, white owned recording companies and white owned radio stations and their advertisers glean from the sordid business.

The same Gus Cannon had a song about the true situation:

"You'll have some dinner -- in a little while..."

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

Bet you never heard of Henry Thomas, he wore a "Quill" around his neck much like Bob Dylan's harmonica rack worked, only the Quill was actually a hand made Pan Flute. Guitar in Sebastopol tuning:

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mac,

I knew of quite a few examples, mainly more recent like the 50's and 60's Blues. But I have to admit I had not hear of Gus Cannon and Henry Thomas, which leads me to believe there must be many more I need to hear.

Very educational post Mac.

Later,

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Wow these guys can PLAY. I thoroughly enjoyed that, Bob. Thanks much!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Why am I not surprised that you enjoyed that? wink

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
They ARE fine players!

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,393
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.