Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
This is not the first time this has happened to me... i got a song that i am trying to generate pedal steel on.. The track is the pedal steel background Ev65.... And Steve is not playing the right chord Changes . He doesn't change or play the chords he is asked to play .

and doesn't resolve from the g to the c or the f to the c.. theres gotta be something i did wrong .i have heard him play in real life on recordings he can play these changes .

Here is a rough chart

(1/2 timing signature) 76BPM Key of Ab

(Inrto)
4 1 5 5

(Vrs)

1 4 5 1

1 4 (5,4)1 Vrs X2

(Chrs)

4 1 5 1

4 1 5 5

4 1 5 (6m,5)

4 1 5 5

i wrote the chart in band in box with a 1/4 time signature ... im feeling lazy so i typed it 1/2 time to show u guys

is there anything wrong with what i am asking steve to play? ...anybody have problems with this real track? or just me?.. i got so many questions LOL .

Veteran
Veteran
Hi there,

You state that the song is written with a 1/2 time signature. What does that mean?

Did you set a time signature using F5 that was different to the base style being used to create the song? If so, this might being playing a part in your problem. I have used the pedal steel tracks quite a bit and have never had the problem you describe.

Also, when you say the key is Ab, how was that set?

Lastly, if you'd like to email me the SGU file, I'm happy to have a look at it and see if I can find the problem. If you want to take me up on my offer, you can find my email address by clicking on my forum name (Noel96) and then selecting "View profile".

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Clayton,

Yes, I had the same questions as Noel. Plus more..... why did you use the number system for the song than ask about F G C with the key being Ab? That is way too confusing. Nothing connects.

Post a link to the SGU and I'd be happy to look at it.

I have noticed sometimes that the steel does do what you say...or what I think you're trying to say....

Rather than change on the chords it continues in the same chord while other things do change to the new chord.

When I have that happen, I try a few things. First, I force a regeneration of the track. If that fails, I change the real track from say....ev65 to ev120... or ev165 if those other options are available. There are a bunch of options in pedal steel, so don't think you're locked in to just using one style.

But lets say you really, really like the track except for that one place where the player doesn't change.....wadda ya gonna do?

Another "cheat" that I use A-LOT..... look for a PS track with the same player, perhaps at the different tempo recommendation, or for that matter, any other PS track. I add the new track and render it out. See how it treats that ONE SPECIFIC chord change. If it plays it right,,,, waaa laaa..... just use envelopes to mute one down and the other up in that part. As long as EQ and levels are correct, no one will know you did that.

Like I said, THIS is one of my favorite tricks to get solos and fills done right. On my tune: The Best Christmas, my piano has 2 or 3 tracks it pulls from and the guitar solo is 5 tracks enveloped to sound like one complete solo. Trust me when I say... This works

One other thing.... a simple solution. Many folks, including me when I started, loved the sound of the steel in BB/RB so much that I let it play all the way through the song. In today's modern country, that is very often NOT the case. So, while it sounds good, avoid the temptation to let it run all the way, unless you are doing a song that is specific to the genre and dates where that was acceptable. In other words, envelope it out more often than not. Let it do intros, fills, and solo's ..... but keep it under control otherwise.

Listen here for an example of what I am speaking about : http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12638204

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/16/14 06:19 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Clayton_Mark

i wrote the chart in band in box with a 1/4 time signature ... im feeling lazy so i typed it 1/2 time to show u guys

"1/4 time signature typed in 1/2 time" ?

Count me in on the enigma, I'm itching to know exactly what that means. I know it's probably not what happened, but it sure reads as though Clayton used F5 and set the number of beats in the bar to 1.

And without wishing to sound too critical, 'feeling lazy' and then asking for support from this excellent forum don't really go hand-in-hand. Seriously.

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I'm guessing the 1/4 time sig is 4/4, and the 1/2 times is he only typed in one verse, one chorus, when there are probably 2 or more - a short version of the song is all he meant.
And I have the PS playing off sometimes as well, sometimes an entry change (like Ab to G#) helps.
I like 'hackers idea but that sounds like RB or some other DAW - I'll have to experiment with that.
Good luck to the OP.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi there,
Noel
You state that the song is written with a 1/2 time signature. What does that mean?

Clayton

(i count up ..from 1 all the way upto 2 for each bar... My mistake i mean 2/2 ..

what i was saying is i wrote the chart here on the fourm
in a 2/2 time signature cause it was quicker for me.But
in band in a box i wrote it in 4/4 TIME SIGNITURE...

Noel Says

Did you set a time signature using F5 that was different to the base style being used to create the song? If so, this might being playing a part in your problem. I have used the pedal steel tracks quite a bit and have never had the problem you describe.

Clayton
i know what u mean ,And no i never did that .

Noel

Also, when you say the key is Ab, how was that set?

Clayton

i simply set the key to Ab where all the other chords are listed

Noel

Lastly, if you'd like to email me the SGU file, I'm happy to have a look at it and see if I can find the problem. If you want to take me up on my offer, you can find my email address by clicking on my forum name (Noel96) and then selecting "View profile".

Clayton

Thank you so much Noel ....
i am just actually witting you from the side of the stage...i will be back in studio Wednesday morning ..If you still have time, i would like to send you the steel track so you could have a listen ..Either way Thank you for the info and sorry my typing skills are not the best .

all the best

Clayton Mark

Regards,
Noel

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Clayton,

Yes, I had the same questions as Noel. Plus more..... why did you use the number system for the song than asks about F G C with the key being Ab? That is way too confusing. Nothing connects.

i already answered noels questions

im talking about simple 1 4 5 1 progressions .. you can apply any key to numbers ..whether its in c or Ab Numbers translate to both..Numbers work best for chick singers cause they are 90% of time all in flats or sharps ..

Post a link to the SGU and I'd be happy to look at it.

I have noticed sometimes that the steel does do what you say...or what I think you're trying to say....

yea man

Rather than change on the chords it continues in the same chord while other things do change to the new chord.

yes same as me ..

When I have that happen, I try a few things. First, I force a regeneration of the track. If that fails, I change the real track from say....ev65 to ev120... or ev165 if those other options are available. There are a bunch of options in pedal steel, so don't think you're locked in to just using one style.

But lets say you really, really like the track except for that one place where the player doesn't change.....wadda ya gonna do?

import to Real Band to regenerate that change ..

Another "cheat" that I use A-LOT..... look for a PS track with the same player, perhaps at the different tempo recommendation, or for that matter, any other PS track. I add the new track and render it out. See how it treats that ONE SPECIFIC chord change. If it plays it right,,,, waaa laaa..... just use envelopes to mute one down and the other up in that part. As long as EQ and levels are correct, no one will know you did that.

Thats a Awesome idea Thank You smile im gonna try that ...

Like I said, THIS is one of my favorite tricks to get solos and fills done right. On my tune: The Best Christmas, my piano has 2 or 3 tracks it pulls from and the guitar solo is 5 tracks enveloped to sound like one complete solo. Trust me when I say... This works

I for some reason Trust You LOL

One other thing.... a simple solution. Many folks, including me when I started, loved the sound of the steel in BB/RB so much that I let it play all the way through the song. In today's modern country, that is very often NOT the case. So, while it sounds good, avoid the temptation to let it run all the way, unless you are doing a song that is specific to the genre and dates where that was acceptable. In other words, envelope it out more often than not. Let it do intros, fills, and solo's ..... but keep it under control otherwise.

Totaly agree with you ...I am a Fulltime musician for all my life .. i play dobro with bluegrass bands and new + old country bands and its alot of padding on the new country stuff ..i was trained the old school way where everybody plays when they are supposed to play ...and KISS

THANK YOU I will have a listen
Listen here for an example of what I am speaking about : http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12638204

Last edited by Clayton_Mark; 03/16/14 05:13 PM.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Seriously i am far from lazy pal it was an expression ...i do have bad typing skills though ..i figured i would edit my post just in case i started a war of any kind ...peace and love ..and thanks but no thanks for that response was pretty lazy if you ask me compared to the other awesome responses
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Last edited by Clayton_Mark; 03/16/14 08:27 PM.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
You are correct Barry ....and that little trick like ab to g# actuly made the steel change correctly
in a few spots
..Thank YOU ..and i owe you a beer for that LOL

Originally Posted By: BarryKJ
I'm guessing the 1/4 time sig is 4/4, and the 1/2 times is he only typed in one verse, one chorus, when there are probably 2 or more - a short version of the song is all he meant.
And I have the PS playing off sometimes as well, sometimes an entry change (like Ab to G#) helps.
I like 'hackers idea but that sounds like RB or some other DAW - I'll have to experiment with that.
Good luck to the OP.

Last edited by Clayton_Mark; 03/16/14 05:42 PM.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
thank you everyone smile i think i am on the way to making better tracks ...ill have to post a clip sometime this week

Last edited by Clayton_Mark; 03/16/14 08:56 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes.... I always use BB to write the song, and then move to Real Band to generate the tracks, and finally into Sonar to mix and master.

There are other ways to do it but that's my preferred method.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,776
Posts737,263
Members38,581
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Harlow Davis, limelitevibe, Myra Millan, Nickolas, philou33
38,581 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186